ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Norvell…

…have we sufficiently locked him down long term? I would imagine at his age and with the pelt of turning around a languishing program on his wall, he will be a hot commodity.

At some point, dominoes will fall in places like Bama, OSU and even Michigan. If Harbaugh wins a natty, I’d suspect he might bolt which likely means Kelly to Michigan and LSU would be looking.

You have to endure a lot of BS to get to the mountaintop at FSU and you have conference uncertainty looming.

YouTube Rabbit Holes

Do you ever innocently search something on YouTube that leads you down a rabbit hole? I was looking for videos on Pink Floyd's David Gilmour today and ended up watching multiple reaction videos on Comfortably Numb. Probably spent 45 minutes to an hour watching them. I was mostly shocked by the lack of knowledge of these YouTubers on Pink Floyd and the best guitar solo in rock history.

Transfer Portal -Wants and Needs - New Years Addition

FSU will probably sign between 9-10 portal players. The season is over and now you have to find out where the holes are on the current roster.

QB-DJ Uiahalelei - (Committed to FSU) He will end up the pick. I expect it any day now and FSU got a good one. I feel that in MN system, DJ will be the perfect fit. Forget what he did at Clemson. Dabo had a system in place and DJ was not a fit. He goes to Oregon State and puts up numbers cap arable to Travis. He does everything Travis does but is 6'5-240 pounds. On third and 4-5, FSU will be able to count on DJ to pick up the yards.

RB-If the OB showed us anything....FSU needs RB help and they need it quickly. They have two freshman coming in but the Noles coaches don't want to rely on freshman. Peny Boone from Toledo will be the main target. He gives you a replacement for Trey Benson. He is big and will run hard. He has very quick feet for a big man. He is 6'1 235 pounds.

Other Options - Jaylin Lucas brother of Jakhi Douglas and Jaquinden Jackson-Utah.

WR-Jabre Barber -Tro State (OV) set up for this week. Evan Stewart (personally think a long shot) Brashard Smith- Kids a perfect fit for MN offense. I text with his hs coach and I don't remember FSU name being mentioned.

OL- FSU needs 2-3 bodies on the OL. They lost a ton of depth. FSU has only gone after one lineman right now and the kid decided to head back to Indiana.

DL-FSU landed Marvin Jones- They need 1-2 more defensive ends and one tackle. The depth was depleted and you saw the results in the OB. Nic Scourton out of Purdue will visit this week. FSU needs to hit on this kid. Texas A&M is going hard for him.

LB-If there is one position FSU needs to hit on it is linebacker. Tackett Curtis out of USC hit the portal and is supposed to take a visit. He was someone i was high on coming out of HS. He runs very well. He started as a freshman at USC and while he struggled at times the potential he showed out of HS flashed as well. He would be a welcomed addition to FSU.

Move on to 2024

I usually do Sunday morning quarterback. I am not watching that debacle again. I will just say that was one of the hardest games I have ever sat through. I would like to thank Jerry as my son and I got to hang out with he and his wife….that’s always a great time….

My thoughts….

QB - fsu needs a transfer qb next year. Glenn should get a chance to win the job but honestly he is not ready. I am not sure if he will ever be ready but what we saw tonight at times gives you hope. He does not look lost.

RB - Caziah Holmes is not the answer. He is not better than Toafili. FSU has Kam Davis coming in but I expect fsu to go and get a portal rb.

WR- there are major question marks heading into 2024. Does Poitier come back? He is good enough to start for another program. Does this group go young and start Williams, Jacob’s and Hill next year. Jeremiah Smith would have quieted some of the concerns.

TE- morlock was a major disappointment tonight. He is what I thought he was. His ceiling is Caz. I hope he can take his game to another level as he did not look like a D1 player out there tonight. Landen Thomas May start. It will be interesting to see if fsu looks to the portal here.

OL - Julian Armella better be a starter next year. Same with early. They are guys you recruited to play in 2024. If armella does not start next year I could see him leave. The portal OL fsu took last year were not good. They need some bodies here so expect them to go and hit the portal.

DL- this is an area of major concern. Edmond may need to hit the portal. He did not look good for the second game in a row. Joshua Farmer needs to commit himself to being great this off season. We need to see Patrick Payton improve. Today was a wake up call. That’s what nfl lineman need to look like and he was dominated. Darrell Jackson needs to come back and rededicate himself. What fsu does fsu have on the DL- I could see fsu try and bring in 2 DE and 2 DT.

LB- I expect Jayden Parrish to start the moment he steps on campus. He is already better than what we saw tonight. I do think that Nichelson will be really good. Look for 1-2 portal guys to be brought in.

DB- AZ Thomas and Conrad Hussey are two players to start with. It will be interesting to see what happens with the freshman and in coming freshman here.

ST- should have two potential all Americans next year.

one last thing…coach norvell deserves a ton of credit at turning the program around. I can’t make predictions for next season as we still don’t know who will be on the team. A lot can change between now and spring football.

As far as I am concerned the team finished the season 13-0. He brought the program back.

Column: Blame aplenty to share, but don't put it on FSU players, coaches

There's plenty of people you can blame for how FSU's season ended Saturday, from the College Football Playoff committee to ESPN, conference commissioners and others. I encourage all of you not to blame any FSU players for that loss to Georgia, both those who understandably opted out and those who stuck around and were totally overmatched.

I’ve forgiven Kirk Herbstreit

I think he genuinely likes FSU football, Mike Norvell, and the schools history.

He was given uncomfortable marching orders from his employer. You can tell it’s been hard and uncomfortable as a good person, competitor and fan of FSU to be the mouthpiece for ESPN.

I’m not taking hate and discontent into 2024.

I look forward to sharing a Guinness with him in Ireland. I hope you do too.

Screw ESPN.

Listening to all the realignment talk

I hear so much discouraging talk. From FSU isn't the BiG or the sec first choice for who they want to other acc schools are waiting on us to do the dirty work witl the law suit and will take spots before us. Also like Oregon and Washington, even if we join the BiG we would be offered half of the actual payouts. Obviously we can't stay in the acc long term but a lot of what im hearing doesn't sound great either. What are you all thinking of all the possible outcomes?

Spent some time with a few members of Georgia media tonight

Really nice group and very engaging and really confident this game will be over quickly. Can’t say I blame them after what they have covered the past four years.
More telling than the stories they told about the GA players and Kirby’s ability to motivate were the lack of questions about FSU’s ability to make a game of this.
Can’t say I blame them.
I remember feeling that way myself in the Dynasty era.
Saturday will be an epic challenge for FSU.

Football Live Updates: No. 5 FSU vs. No. 6 Georgia in Orange Bowl

It isn't the bowl game Florida State wanted or expected to be in, but the Seminoles have a chance to make a statement Saturday afternoon in the Orange Bowl.

The fifth-ranked Seminoles (13-0) take on No. 6 Georgia (12-1) at 4 p.m. at Hard Rock Stadium with the game broadcast on ESPN. FSU enters Saturday's game on an active 19-game winning streak while the Bulldogs have a 29-game winning streak which was snapped in their SEC Championship Game loss to Alabama which dropped them out of College Football Playoff position and the No. 1 spot they had resided in all season.

Both teams will be depleted by players leaving the program or announcing for the NFL Draft, but FSU's absences are much more severe. The Seminoles will be without 13 starters/co-starters from their ACC Championship Game depth chart and 18 players on the two-deep. This includes projected starting quarterback Tate Rodemaker, who announced his opt-out on Christmas Day, which means true freshman quarterback Brock Glenn will get the start for the Seminoles.

Georgia is expected to be without NFL-bound tight end Brock Bowers and offensive tackle Amarius Mims and a few reserve players but it has many more of its starters available including starting quarterback Carson Beck.

Because of this discrepancy, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the Seminoles are sizable 20.5-point underdogs for Saturday's New Year's Six Bowl. UGA holds a 6-4-1 lead all-time in the series.

FSU has a 5-5 all-time record in the Orange Bowl, beating Michigan 33-32 back in 2016 in its last time playing in the bowl game and doing so as a full-touchdown underdog.

The temperature for Saturday's game is projected to be in the mid-60's at the start of the game and drop into the low-60's by the end of the game. There's a 0% chance of precipitation according to the forecast.

We'll have pregame updates in this thread starting around 1:30 or 2 p.m. from Hard Rock Stadium. Then, we'll have in-game updates in this thread once the game gets underway.
Reactions: Warchant User 2023

FSU 75 Lipscomb 78 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

FSU 75 Lipscomb 78 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good

That FSU was able to make a game of it after a poor start and had a very good opportunity to tie the score at the end of regulation. Jamir Watkins' blocked shot with ten seconds left got the Seminoles out on a fast break. Darin Green used a nice screen to the left of the key. But his three point attempt clanged off the front of the rim and Lipscomb came away with the win.

What looked like another iffy start at the FT line after the first 20 minutes, the 'Noles were just 3-6 from the stripe. In the second period, FSU began getting to the line and connected on 18 of 24. It was a large factor in the Seminole's attempted comeback.

Watkins led the way with 19 points while going 12-13 from the charity stripe. It was Watkins two FTs with 37 seconds left that put FSU in a position to tie the game. Primo Spears added 16 and Darin Green had 12.

A complete reversal from the first half and the beginning of the second, FSU began doing what they do best. Defend first and create offense from their defense. After the Bisons shot 60% in the first period, the Seminole defense clamped down and held Lipscomb to 36% in the second. Key in that was some different defensive looks Leonard Hamilton threw at the Bisons such as the full court zone press. It clearly disrupted the rhythm of Lipscomb.

The 7 minute Lipscomb drought while FSU went on a 12-0 run to bring FSU wo within six, 70-64 with five minutes to play.

FSU's depth improved with the return of Cameron Corhen who had a decent game with 8 points and 7 boards. He announced his return to the floor with a wide open slam dunk from a lob pass from Chandler Jackson that tied the game at 17.

The Bad

FSU drops to .500 at 6-6. The overall record against Lipscomb was 2-1 coming into the game. Make that 2-2 with the Bisons' prior victory occurring in January, 1951.

Memo to Taylor Bol Bowen after taking a three from the left wing (his only shot of the game): You are now 1-9 on the season from the arc. At 6'10" perhaps closer to the rim would be the better option?

Too many missed opportunities for the Seminoles. For example, the score was 70-57. With FSU in its half court offense, it moves the ball around the floor smartly. All five players touch the ball. The eventual shot was no good, but the ball still went to FSU on a Lipscomb foul. With that extra op, FSU promptly turned the ball over instead on the inbound pass. Two chances to score that went unanswered. Or Will Pruitt's dribble drive that is stopped. His cross court skip pass is picked off by Spears. His alley oop pass goes to ???? I have no clue because it was nowhere near another Seminole. And its another turnover. The score was 70-60. Instead of working the ball for even a few seconds, FSU displayed no patience and launched a quick three well behind the line. Shortly after that with the score 70-62, Darin Green with the wide open look misses the three point attempt.

The Ugly

FSU found itself down to Lipscomb by 21 points in the second half multiple times. There is no way FSU should have been trailing to Lipscomb by 21 points. Lipscomb managed that beating FSU at its own game, getting out in transition. Way too many open looks at the arc or too many back door or dribble drives were the result.

Some telling comments from Hamilton in post game. "We have had too many of these starts." Yes, yes we have. "We have struggled this season in getting the right emotion to be competitive." Yes, yes we have. Hamilton noted the lack of defense in today's game noting the deflections (his fav stat) the 'Noles had. 23. That is after having 60 against Winthrop, a seven point "blowout" win as Hamilton like to phrase it.

Apparently Hamilton had an interesting conversation with his team in the locker room as he made it to his post game radio interview well after its scheduled time. When that happens, and it has before, you know he was making some major points to the players.

The 12-2 Bison run giving Lipscomb a 46-31 halftime lead. To rub salt into that wound, on the ensuing possession Darin Green banked in a three from the half court line at the buzzer only to have it called during intermission as a shot clock violation.

Rebounding. Yes, FSU won the numbers game, but it was anything but good rebounding. Case in point, very early in the game, Lipscomb put up a shot that missed. While Baba Miller did get the board from the second chance attempt, that never would have happened had Jalen Warley put a body on his man, the same man who got the offensive board. Or off Joe Anderson's missed 3 and with three FSU players standing there, Grant Asman grabs the board. 67-50, Bison shot goes up, misses, Bison player rebounds. He puts that shot up and misses. And yet another Bison gets the offensive board this time making the shot. Two different players grabs the ORb and not one Seminole is around the ball. One more. Owen McCormack with nobody on him gets the easy ORb and the easy layup, 41-29, Lipscomb. That kind of rebounding is unacceptable.

I guess many FSU fans decided to opt out of today's game. Probably stayed at home looking forward today's Orange Bowl which should be a close affair. I can dream can't I?

You can pretty much count out the NCAA for the Seminoles. I hate to say that at this point in the season with a number of games to play. But to have a shot at making the NCAA, FSU would have to go on a huge tear in conference play. I do not see this team winning 15 ACC games they need IMO to get there.

Up Next

Wednesday, Jan 3rd at 7 PM vs Georgia Tech (8-4) on the ACCN. This is not the same Yellow Jacket team under Josh Pastner. Damon Stoudamire has this team playing well. The Jackets are coming off a 72-64 loss to Nevada. But they do have a 72-68 win over Duke. Good news for FSU. GT is not the 3 point shooting team like Lipscomb was (47%). The Jackets are connecting on only 29% from the arc.
  • Sad
Reactions: NoleLizards

Basketball Updates: FSU hosts Lipscomb

The Florida State men's basketball team (6-5) plays host to Lipscomb (8-6) on Saturday at noon. There will be a live stream on ACC Network Extra.

FSU has stumbled a few times at home this season but is looking for victory No. 5 at the Donald L. Tucker Center in the final non-conference game. A seventh win before the calendar turns to 2024 would represent the start of a turnaround after the Seminoles won just nine games in 2022-23.

The Seminoles had 14 steals in the win over Winthrop on Dec. 22, the last game before the holiday break. FSU leads the ACC in steals at 9.7 per game. And the Seminoles added a season-high 10 blocks against Winthrop, with freshman Taylor Bol Bowen recording three.

Primo Spears is averaging 11.3 points in his first three games, but he is just 7 of 33 (21.2 percent) from the floor. He is 17 of 19 (89.5 percent) from the FT line.

Cam Corhen has not played in a month, since Nov. 29 against Georgia. He has missed five games and would give FSU a needed rebounding and defensive presence if he can return from a toe injury. If he can not make it back, FSU's next game is at home against Wake Forest on Jan. 3 at 7 p.m.

IT’S TIME…EVEN PAST TIME

I’ve set around over the holidays thinking about transfer portal, Declaring for draft, and NIL Deals among a couple of other things. With that said I have a good friend in Bama who has coached HS football for awhile there has made countless connections. NILs came up and I asked if he knew anything special that Saban does that others may not. The one thing that caught my attention was when he said, “They have a lot of money to throw around, but one thing he wanted put in place regarding the NIL money is players do not receive any NIL $ until the entire season is over.” Now, I’m not saying it’s this simple, but it could be.

There are some MUST HAVES when it comes to NIL Deals, how players are paid, exact obligations players must full fill, and caps. NIL has become a blue blood “cheat code”/ Play to pay. The purpose in NIL was to compensate players when $ is being made off their name/image/likeness. In no way was this designed and implemented to turn CFB into the NFL jr. Purity of sports is what makes the game most appealing and special to fans and a big part of maintaining the purity is ensuring there is a level playing field for all. Yes, some may have a slight advantage but the disparity between having that advantage and not had a minimal impact.

Now, you have programs who essentially have an “endless” supply of money and put price tags on HS recruits, current players, and portal players that vast majority of CFB teams can’t come come close to and the teams who can’t. They are forced to budget almost perfect and still have to have some really good luck. It’s also hard me for to understand how this can be maintained for the long haul. You would think RTI would quickly become a huge problem. These big money people have to be receiving a fraction of the money they have invested. One thing that is for sure those people didn’t become rich by getting pennies on dollar for their RTI.

Almost over night CFB morphed into programs I call the “Super Blue Programs” ( Texas, A&M, USCw, OSU, Mich, Mia, UGA ect ect ), which means they will buy who they want whenever they want and everyone else will have to fight for the “scraps”. It will almost be like the NFL vs XFL. It’s a MUST that cap rules/regulations put into place asap or college football will be completely ruined.

NIL/School contracts should be implemented to force players to fulfill their obligations to the University, Fball program, and those who are paying them ie Battles End. If they want to opt out that’s fine, but the opt out comes with a fine. I also think players should not be paid until they fully fill their obligations.

Portal has become a disaster and even comical of how badly this was thought through by the in power. IMO if you transfer w/o legitimate reasons such the Darrel Jackson deal then you sit for a yr. The free for all has to stop. Hell, think about how many coaches will lose their job because their team was bought by others causing them to have a terrible season the following yr when they were supposed to compete for a conference championship or even a Natty. Portal should not open and contact should not be made with players looking to enter unit after the final day in Feb when HS players sign.

All in all CFB is on a nose dive and it’s diving faster than anyone imagined. If someone doesn’t stop this dive then CFB is going to take an astronomical hit, which could potentially make an impact that’s unrecoverable or takes an unbelievable amount of time to fix. I sure hope they find a way to salvage the purity because the purity is exactly why I love CFB the way I do.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT