ADVERTISEMENT

#100pagesnatty Thread 11/08/18 #63pagesnattynumber1 #106pagesnattynumber2

Makes you wonder Briles knew what was going to happen in Houston before it became official.

https://www.chron.com/sports/cougar...-football-coach-Major-Applewhite-13498591.php

Article indicates Holgorson (WV) to be leading candidate. Does anyone think that would be a step up for Holgorsen? I certainly don't, at best a step to the side but certainly not up.

Everyone knew Applewhite was gone. That’s one reason I thought Briles may stay ie he would take over as HC.

I do agree with you about Houston not being a step up from West Virginia. At WVU you’ve got a chance to run for the Natty at Houston...we’ll lets just say UCF proved twice now that you can’t get into the Natty unless you’re P5 or Notre Lame.

Everyone knew Applewhite was gone. That’s one reason I thought Briles may stay ie he would take over as HC.

I do agree with you about Houston not being a step up from West Virginia. At WVU you’ve got a chance to run for the Natty at Houston...we’ll lets just say UCF proved twice now that you can’t get into the Natty unless you’re P5 or Notre Lame.
He knows once Will Grier leaves they have nothing.

The real question is...did Mark Richt leave Miami in a worse spot than when he came on board. Their recruiting sucked this year BEFORE the retirement. Now it’s going to really hurt.

More on this....

The recruiting classes before Richt were ranked in the consensus 247 rankings

2014: 12th
2013: 14th
2012: 10th
2011: 33rd

The recruiting classes after Richt was hired were ranked:

2015: 27th
2016: 22nd
2017: 12th
2018: 8th
2019: 33rd and falling fast.

So other than a 2 year spot where they recruited to the average Miami level, Mark Richt’s recruiting has been pretty bad. And they lost a lot of quality players so far.

Reactions: NoleFan2U

See I view it the other way. They just tried the OC promoted to HC with no previous HC experience, and since Applewhite was a flop, I bet they would have looked outside for someone with experience. And after the shellacking Army put on them, likely just do a clean slate.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
See I view it the other way. They just tried the OC promoted to HC with no previous HC experience, and since Applewhite was a flop, I bet they would have looked outside for someone with experience. And after the shellacking Army put on them, likely just do a clean slate.
Word is they are getting Dana Holgerson from WVU.

I don’t buy for one microsecond that Mark Richt “retired” out of the blue and then they hired a new coach under 24 hours later.

Richt was forced out and they had their new coach picked out when they fired him.

Yeah, it does seem a bit fishy. But that slide of 3 losses in a row.... They were 1 game from disrupting the playoff system and being the ACC champs. I agree Miami had advance notice, not sure on the rest of your conspiracy theory though. :)

I don’t buy for one microsecond that Mark Richt “retired” out of the blue and then they hired a new coach under 24 hours later.

Richt was forced out and they had their new coach picked out when they fired him.

If that was what happened , the leadership at Miami is terrible. They cost themselves 4 million by letting Diaz sign with Temple , instead of firing before the bowl game and making the move before signing day. That bowl loss was awful, but hard to believe they are that reactionary

I think the Houston and WVU jobs are about equal. Houston has a lot more money and (imo) much more upside. I think they'll be in a power-5 conference within five years.

WVU is in a Power-5 conference......that's about all it's got going for it. Their fans are great if the team is winning. They're always nuts, however, win or lose. I can't believe Huggins hasn't left. He must enjoy the fast-food scene in Morgantown.

If that was what happened , the leadership at Miami is terrible. They cost themselves 4 million by letting Diaz sign with Temple , instead of firing before the bowl game and making the move before signing day. That bowl loss was awful, but hard to believe they are that reactionary

I don’t think Diaz was their first choice at all. I assume they went behind Richt’s back and did some back channel inquiries of at least Cristobal, Matt Rhule, Dino Babers and a couple of other frontrunners. Then when they got turned down, they pounced back on Manny Diaz when he (frankly unethically in my mind as he screwed over the Temple signees) accepted before Miami had to go with the FIU or FAU options.

Uhh...how?

According to a bunch of articles UH has a TBoone Pickens type graduate( Tilman Fertitta) that is making most of these moves and there is a believe he will pay there way into the Big 12.
Conversely there are an equal number of arguments that say there is no chance it happens

Reactions: DFSNOLE
The best fit for Houston in the P5 is The Big12. However, at this point I know that the Big 12 will expand. They already have a Conference Championship Game, so adding another team adds a mouth for OU & UT to feed.

Maybe if the NCAA changes the playoff format they will somehow spark another round of conference expansion. However, I think they will actually make it easier for a non-P5 school to make the playoff.

According to a bunch of articles UH has a TBoone Pickens type graduate( Tilman Fertitta) that is making most of these moves and there is a believe he will pay there way into the Big 12.
Conversely there are an equal number of arguments that say there is no chance it happens

How much is he willing to pay? Because since the Big 12 gets to have a CCG, and has a solid tv contract, there's zero reason to expand (and therefore split the $ share more than 10 ways each year). He'd have to be willing to pay all of those schools the difference lost in the sharing every year. That's the exact reason USF and UCF weren't added in the last round of expansion.

How much is he willing to pay? Because since the Big 12 gets to have a CCG, and has a solid tv contract, there's zero reason to expand (and therefore split the $ share more than 10 ways each year). He'd have to be willing to pay all of those schools the difference lost in the sharing every year. That's the exact reason USF and UCF weren't added in the last round of expansion.

apparently 4 mill over 5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT