ADVERTISEMENT

2014 Braves Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every year there seems to be a hard luck pitcher that gets no run support. This year the unlucky one is Alex Wood. Last two starts pitches great and loses 1-0.

Originally posted by DFSNOLE:
Every year there seems to be a hard luck pitcher that gets no run support. This year the unlucky one is Alex Wood. Last two starts pitches great and loses 1-0.
He is 2-3 with an ERA under 2. Hard luck pitcher because of idiotic lineups from Fredi. He CONTINUES to start BJ and bat him second.

WHEN WILL HE LEARN TO CHANGE? His lineup is costing the Braves games.

We have four starting pitchers with an ERA under 2 and we've still managed to lose 7 of the the first 20 games. I know they're in 1st place, but they should have a much better record at this point with those stats.

Without this spectacular pitching (which won't last), the Braves would have won maybe 5 games? Keep it up Fredi, keep batting your worst 2 hitters the most each game.

You guys told me to be patient but BJ is STILL batting 2nd with his below .200 avg.

Originally posted by Vizike Is Back!:
Without this spectacular pitching (which won't last), the Braves would have won maybe 5 games? Keep it up Fredi, keep batting your worst 2 hitters the most each game.

You guys told me to be patient but BJ is STILL batting 2nd with his below .200 avg.
He hasn't been below .200 in over 2 weeks. Granted, he is just above it, but still not below. He is also pulling his OBP to just shy of .300. Is he doing great? No. Is he improving? Yes, and the glasses are helping. Our worst hitter has been Heyward, but he has pulled his average up about 50 points in the last week or so. You don't have to find something to complain about, we know you hate BJ, but enjoy the record right now, and a 3 and 1/2 game lead.

Originally posted by fsugrad06:

He hasn't been below .200 in over 2 weeks. Granted, he is just above it, but still not below. He is also pulling his OBP to just shy of .300. Is he doing great? No. Is he improving? Yes, and the glasses are helping. Our worst hitter has been Heyward, but he has pulled his average up about 50 points in the last week or so. You don't have to find something to complain about, we know you hate BJ, but enjoy the record right now, and a 3 and 1/2 game lead.
I don't hate BJ. I just don't think he deserves to start for this team...much less bat 2nd. After last year and his start this year, Fredi doesn't seem to make good decisions.

So you understand that, and seem to he sympathetic to the fact that managers often get the blame for decisions they were forced to make, yet you continue to do that very same thing?

Are you intentionally being obtuse?

Can you imagine how annoying that is for us?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by tommynole3476:
So you understand that, and seem to he sympathetic to the fact that managers often get the blame for decisions they were forced to make, yet you continue to do that very same thing?

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Can you imagine how annoying it is for me to see a bad lineup every day? I would love to see Fredi get fired because he was forced to bat BJ second every day against his will. My anger becomes Fredi's anger at that point and all is well in the world.

Of course it makes no sense. Neither does the requirement that BJ play because of his big contract.

With a decimated starting staff, Fredi has the Braves on top of the east with the second best record in the league.

Yeah. He sucks.

It's also a historically great pitching month, Only 6 other teams had a month with starting rotations with a combined era under two in the last thirty years, and one of those was a strike shortened year. Considering the loss of McCann and other injuries to the rotation, Fredi and Roger deserve a lot of credit. Oh and the guys responsible for signing BJ to that contract are the same ones responsible for signing Harang and Santana, who have almost literally been unhitable to start the year.

No one could have predicted the early pitching success - and that is the only reason they are in 1st place. So making a good decision in one area (signing Harang & Santana) means you can continue to make an obviously bad one elsewhere?

Makes no sense and they are LUCKY to have won the games they have.

Well, tonight was woof, but maybe someone will realize who had been playing are the best options. If we never see Doumit again, it's too soon. Maybe Fredi figured let some guys rest against Fernandez and hope for the best.

ZERO runs. At least he took BJ out but replaced him with another .200 hitter. I see a pattern that both Uptons come out at the same time which is yet another bad decision.

Tough division this year. Surprised at how decent the Phillies and Marlins have been so far, of course it is still early and both could fall off.

Can we worry now? 30 games in and all those great moves by the team with the pitching was not real.

Oh, BJ is still batting second. Uggla is worse (and still starting).

We can't win every game 1-0.

Can we worry now? 30 games in and all those great moves by the team with the pitching was not real.

Oh, BJ is still batting second. Uggla is worse (and still starting).

We can't win every game 1-0.
Nope. 162 game not 50 game schedule.

What would be the harm in sending BJ and Uggla to Gwinett for a week and put them 1,2 in lineup and get them a ton of at bats in games that don't cost the big league squad?
Obviously we can't eat their salaries but why not call up La Stella for a week (might spark team).
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by trefeet:
What would be the harm in sending BJ and Uggla to Gwinett for a week and put them 1,2 in lineup and get them a ton of at bats in games that don't cost the big league squad?
Obviously we can't eat their salaries but why not call up La Stella for a week (might spark team).
Don't you know...it's not about what's best for the team in order to win games.

You all have noticed where Uggla has been the past few games, correct? He's been on the bench, I believe, 3 of the last 4 games, and in his last start was sat down for Pena to pinch hit in a swing away situation. Uggla is being transitioned out of the lineup. BJ, I have no clue the plan on him, but he has been doing better now that he is batting lower in the lineup with a higher OBP and BA. He almost has to play because we've done the Schafer experiment before and he is not an everyday player, and the minor league is bare for OF help. As an aside, the Farm System is fairly bleak with no prospect rated above a 55 on an 80 point scale, meaning the top guys are basically average.

An interesting article on the correlation of velocity and injury in young pitchers.

We've reached an interesting intersection in the evaluation of young pitchers -- a convergence of fascination and fear.

The fascination is that we've simply never seen so many hard
throwers, and that extends to the prep ranks, where mid-90s heat has
become commonplace.

"When I first started doing this," said a longtime amateur scout,
"you hoped to see a high school kid at 90-91 [mph]. You were pretty
excited about that. Now, I want to see the guy throwing 94-96."

The fear -- especially in the midst of a season in which we've
already seen 17 pitchers on Major League rosters have Tommy John
ligament replacement surgery -- is what that heat at an early age could
mean at a later date, if not an immediate one.

"These kids are trying to throw 90-plus miles per hour," renowned
surgeon Dr. James Andrews told MLB Network Radio last month. "We found
out from our lab that the red line for a Tommy John ligament in high
school is -- guess what? -- about 80 to 85 mph. The ones who throw
beyond that are going beyond the developmental properties of their
normal ligament, and they're getting hurt. The radar gun is a problem."

Link

You all have noticed where Uggla has been the past few games, correct? He's been on the bench, I believe, 3 of the last 4 games, and in his last start was sat down for Pena to pinch hit in a swing away situation. Uggla is being transitioned out of the lineup. BJ, I have no clue the plan on him, but he has been doing better now that he is batting lower in the lineup with a higher OBP and BA. He almost has to play because we've done the Schafer experiment before and he is not an everyday player, and the minor league is bare for OF help. As an aside, the Farm System is fairly bleak with no prospect rated above a 55 on an 80 point scale, meaning the top guys are basically average.
BJ...0 for 4 with 3 Ks last night. Avg .205 so I guess defending him that he is getting better over his .174 avg last year. AWESOME. And he's still starting and the Braves are losing or barely winning.

BJ...0 for 4 with 3 Ks last night. Avg .205 so I guess defending him that he is getting better over his .174 avg last year. AWESOME. And he's still starting and the Braves are losing or barely winning.
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it? I didn't defend him, I said he is the only option and is at least improving numbers-wise. Schafer is not the answer and the farm system is bare. Upton has to play.

Grad, Tommy said it best a while ago.

Originally posted by DFSNOLE:
Originally posted by tommynole3476
You act as though you know Fredi has a choice.

It's already been explained once. He either is ignoring it or just doesn't get it.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
His hand is forced because of the big contract - I get it. But the manager always takes the fall.

Originally posted by tommynole3476:
So
you understand that, and seem to he sympathetic to the fact that
managers often get the blame for decisions they were forced to make, yet
you continue to do that very same thing?

The only hopeful option is if they actually want to go deep in playoffs they will put Heyward back in center and rent a power hitting outfielder. Hopefully someone who can hit closer to .250 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT