ADVERTISEMENT

Another day, another cop murdered

Status
Not open for further replies.
take it the other cop hating thread

No one here hates police. We want honest police that follow the laws they are sworn to enforce and not be above the law. We want the so called "good cops," that we keep hearing most cops are, to do something about the bumper crop of horiffically bad cops that have surfaced since everyone started carrying smart phones.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
No one here hates police. We want honest police that follow the laws they are sworn to enforce and not be above the law. We want the so called "good cops," that we keep hearing most cops are, to do something about the bumper crop of horiffically bad cops that have surfaced since everyone started carrying smart phones.
Could've fooled me. I only see you posting crap. This board has become one big cop hating circle jerk.

Could've fooled me. I only see you posting crap. This board has become one big cop hating circle jerk.

No, but it looks that way to police chiefs, officers and police apologists. Anything other than total praise and absolute obedience is seen as "cop hating." Any questioning of them or their conduct is not tolerated. The police and their apologists are more thin skinned than Donald Trump.

Sheesh that is a lot of dead cops over the last few days. Who the heck would ever want to be a cop...

The equal time was the other cop hating thread.
To be fair far more people are unnecessarily killed by cops tha vice versa but I don't think anyone wants to clog the board up by keeping the thread count proportional.

Also that's not a cop hating thread. I called the shooter a doofus and said we need to pay and train cops better so we can recruit more qualified individuals.

There's no hate in that, I'm trying to give cops more money and better training - where's the hate?!?!

To be fair far more people are unnecessarily killed by cops tha vice versa but I don't think anyone wants to clog the board up by keeping the thread count proportional.

Also that's not a cop hating thread. I called the shooter a doofus and said we need to pay and train cops better so we can recruit more qualified individuals.

There's no hate in that, I'm trying to give cops more money and better training - where's the hate?!?!
Any statistical data to support that theory or are you just choosing to become part of the problem and not part of the solution?

I remember 10+ years ago when the RC started TC was the biggest right-wing GOP homer on the board next to NG83. Now he posts only anti-cop threads and calls everyone pro-government statists and police state supporters.
My how times have changed.

Any statistical data to support that theory or are you just choosing to become part of the problem and not part of the solution?
This is an awful and sad thing to have to look up, but to-date the 2015 count is as follows:
Unarmed people killed by police: 161
Police killed by gunfire(incl accidental)+assault+vehicular assault: 32

As far as not becoming part of the solution - if you look at my post, which you quoted, I said (twice) that we need to pay and train cops better. IMO that qualifies as part of the solution.

As far as I know, a-holes who kill cops and a-hole cops who kill unarmed citizens doing nothing to warrant said execution can coexist in the world. Neither warrant being ignored nor being defended. My two cents.

This is an awful and sad thing to have to look up, but to-date the 2015 count is as follows:
Unarmed people killed by police: 161
Police killed by gunfire(incl accidental)+assault+vehicular assault: 32

As far as not becoming part of the solution - if you look at my post, which you quoted, I said (twice) that we need to pay and train cops better. IMO that qualifies as part of the solution.
The key word I took issue with in your original post was "unnecessarily". You have no data to back that up. Sometimes, it is necessary to shoot an unarmed person. Their life or yours...

Bacardi pontificating from the safety of his home. Not hating but.... Runk is on point.

Starting pay for cops may be on the low side, but those who make it a career end up in pretty nice shape financially.

Starting pay for cops may be on the low side, but those who make it a career end up in pretty nice shape financially.
Perhaps it makes more sense to increase the starting pay, in order to create a more competitive applicant pool, and slightly lower things on the other side -- or we pony up the tax dollars to properly pay these guys from start to finish -- I'd be happy to pay extra taxes to get ourselves a more qualified and well trained police force.

The key word I took issue with in your original post was "unnecessarily". You have no data to back that up. Sometimes, it is necessary to shoot an unarmed person. Their life or yours...
That's purely subjective, without reviewing all 193 (cop and civilian) cases myself I can't get you that data - I'm not of the opinion that every case that ought to have been prosecuted was prosecuted.

The US is near a 40 year low in violent crimes, police need to be walking the streets and not policing from inside a car. Better training may stop your invented "their life or yours" binary conundrum. The goal is not to shoot because legally you can, it's to not shoot period unless your life is legit in imminent danger.

That's purely subjective, without reviewing all 193 (cop and civilian) cases myself I can't get you that data - I'm not of the opinion that every case that ought to have been prosecuted was prosecuted.

The US is near a 40 year low in violent crimes, police need to be walking the streets and not policing from inside a car. Better training may stop your invented "their life or yours" binary conundrum. The goal is not to shoot because legally you can, it's to not shoot period unless your life is legit in imminent danger.
That was precisely the point I was making as well. Totally subjective and we can't specifically say more people are "unnecessarily" killed by cops than cops killed.
The rest of your post I agree with for the most part. However, I think this is more of a societal issue than a police issue. I could be wrong, but I have yet to see a person acting like a dignified human get killed during a police incident.
The closest would be the cigarette seller in NY but even he was belligerent and breaking the law.

When we have _____ lives matter slogans, it's too late. Why not #respecteachother or #havemanners or better yet, #parentsdoyourjob!!!

It's easy to sit back and criticize a cop when he shoots an unarmed citizen. I'd venture to guess that 99.99% of cop(s) just don't walk up and shoot. Maybe in some of these cases if the purp would cooperate just a little bit, things wouldn't go sideways. In general though,there are a-holes in every profession not excluding cops.

Reactions: ncnole1975
When we have _____ lives matter slogans, it's too late. Why not #respecteachother or #havemanners or better yet, #parentsdoyourjob!!!
If those slogans worked, we wouldn't need cops at all. We could lay the whole lot of them off.

We need "black lives matter" because their lives are disproportionately marginalized or mistreated by cops, courts, education system. It's not a reminder that their lives matter too, not a proclamation that other lives don't.

Deray Mckesson has actively spotlighted cops shooting white kids also.

I'm a little slow on technology, but I was wondering if videos can be simultaneously uploaded as taken to "the cloud" so that there would still be video when officers seize phones of those who are merely taking video? If so, I think that, plus dashboard and body cams are a good idea. When stuff goes south in a hurry, there can be vastly different stories of what happens. Being able to see the truth protects good citizens and good cops and reveals bad citizens and bad cops. I'm definitely not for a big brother state where the state monitors and records all, but interactions between LEO and citizens, caught on video by the state or citizens will sort out a lot of the BS.

I'm a little slow on technology, but I was wondering if videos can be simultaneously uploaded as taken to "the cloud" so that there would still be video when officers seize phones of those who are merely taking video? If so, I think that, plus dashboard and body cams are a good idea. When stuff goes south in a hurry, there can be vastly different stories of what happens. Being able to see the truth protects good citizens and good cops and reveals bad citizens and bad cops. I'm definitely not for a big brother state where the state monitors and records all, but interactions between LEO and citizens, caught on video by the state or citizens will sort out a lot of the BS.

Best option is to use a live streaming app like Periscope. Pretty sure it stays on there for a while after it happens

There are several...
Bambuser
Hands Up 4 justice
FiVo

I guess the names leave something to be desired, but that's not too important.

Perhaps it makes more sense to increase the starting pay, in order to create a more competitive applicant pool, and slightly lower things on the other side -- or we pony up the tax dollars to properly pay these guys from start to finish -- I'd be happy to pay extra taxes to get ourselves a more qualified and well trained police force.

How does being a cop become more "attractive" if you increase their pay by the few thousand bucks that is the maximum that would ever be financially feasible? The sad reality is that it is a miserable gig that appeals only to a limited pool of folks. I just don't see many people saying "oh, screw med school....now that cops are making that extra $7K, I'm going that route." And even if paying more money attracted better candidates, it will still take 20+ years to overhaul the entire workforce.

If you think career police officers do not make money then you are mistaken. Most of the these guys, granted in bigger more populated areas are bringing in 60k on average. A lot more are making between that and 100k. Then you have some higher ranking guys making above that. Don't forget that sweet lifetime pension that gives you most of the same salary you made forever plus benefits, retirement funds, bonus' and the ability to come back on the force after retiring. Spare me the cops don't make enough posts. It's just not true.

Point of reference: my cousin is a officer with NYPD and makes around 100k/yr especially with the bonus' and overtime. He explained what they get paid, benefits, retirement funds, lump payments after retirement and their pension to me. They are doing just fine.

Last edited:
If you don't think career police officers do not make money then you are mistaken. Most of the these guys, granted in bigger more populated areas are bringing in 60k on average. A lot more are making between that and 100k. Then you have some higher ranking guys making above that. Don't forget that sweet lifetime pension that gives you most of the same salary you made forever plus benefits, retirement funds, bonus' and the ability to come back on the force after retiring. Spare me the cops don't make enough posts. It's just not true.

Point of reference: my cousin is a officer with NYPD and makes around 100k/yr especially with the bonus' and overtime. He explained what they get paid, benefits, retirement funds, lump payments after retirement and their pension to me. They are doing just fine.
My dad was with the NYPD for 20 years from '63-'83. He retired as a Sgt. and I believe his pension was 50% of his salary plus all the medical benefits for the rest of his life. It all goes away when he dies and doesn't transfer to my mother. From what I understand, those figures have been cut back in recent years as NYC has struggled to fund pensions for all its civil servants. Dad never shot any unarmed brown people (that I'm aware of).

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
In general I agree with southgate; those I know who've made a career of being an officer make pretty good money while working and have very nice retirement packages. It's common for them to retire with pensions of $60-$70k per year (starting at age 50, running for life), and most also go into the DROP program that results in them exiting with an additional lump sum at retirement (typically $200k to $300k).
They may not live a life of luxury, but they aren't worried about starvation.

All I can go by is what my cousin told me which are under the current circumstances. There was no inclination of any cut backs for NYPD. In fact, the bonus' and retirement funds were eye opening.

How does being a cop become more "attractive" if you increase their pay by the few thousand bucks that is the maximum that would ever be financially feasible? The sad reality is that it is a miserable gig that appeals only to a limited pool of folks. I just don't see many people saying "oh, screw med school....now that cops are making that extra $7K, I'm going that route." And even if paying more money attracted better candidates, it will still take 20+ years to overhaul the entire workforce.
I think there's prob a happy medium between the folks that are currently becoming cops and people going to med school -- there are after all plenty of non-cop non-doctors in this country. Luckily it's not all or none :)

Unfortunately the current state of police work and their relationship with the community has deteriorated so much because of these shootings and cops' refusal to weed out bad cops on their own that it's understandable that no sane person would take the job - which maybe why a number of our cops are already on the wrong side of sanity.

On that point, we should also increase mental preparation, training and on-going, required, mental health counseling for all cops. They do a traumatic job, maybe the most traumatic. These guys need a chance to break down, step away, vent, so that they can learn to refocus properly without carrying all of a days baggage with them to the point that they're raving like a lunatic, body slamming an unarmed teenage black girl in a bikini outside of a pool party.

They prob also need to be fired in greater numbers, it's easier to lash out when you know it's nearly impossible to get fired. Too many unions protect their own bad apples (something I'll partially agree with conservatives on) -- but no union (or "benevolent assoc") protecting bad apples is more dangerous to Americans than the PBAs/Fraternal Orders.

In the article posted above about cops arresting people recording video, it says that the NYCLU has an App for people to instantly upload any video to a central server that way if the phone gets seized or video erased it is still stored somewhere else. I'm sure there are plenty of other App or options for something just like this to store video.

Its sad on all accounts. I believe that there are issues with police accountability and systematic racism, however there appears to be a group of individuals using issues with police as justification for murdering police officers. Its certainly an illogical approach as you're not going to get officers to be less suspicious and afraid when they deal with african american's by having their own people murdered by African American's for simply being officers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT