ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

I would like to see Arsenal get a result today but I am afraid it won't happen. I won't be watching it though, Bayern v Juve for me. LOL

I approach this game with great trepidation and lack of confidence. Hope the players aren't in my mindset.

And worse, my students are catching on to me. When I told them yesterday there would be a test today, one student said, "A test on TUESDAY? Who's
Arsenal playing?"

Reactions: warriortim
I see no chance of us winning, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna miss it.

Stranger things have happened!

Remember 2011!

The strange thing about Arsenal this year is they seem to play better against top clubs (at least recently), and they are struggling against teams they should beat (see Chelsea). Unfortunately I don't think they will win, but I think it will be a better game than most are anticipating.

It will only be a good game for Arsenal if:

1. Cech plays lights out.
2. Sanchez put his stamp on the match
3. Ozil works hard in defense

I see Coquelin being MOTM if Arsenal are to win.

Barcelona will have 70% possession which is absolutely maddening to watch as a Gooner since we're used to having posession. My prediction is that there will be a ton of yellow cards as a result of that due to frustration at not having the ball. If Flamini plays, he's a guaranteed red card because of that being the case. He cannot see the pitch.

Let's just get the match started already. The anticipation is killing me.

"Alexis Sanchez Baby!
Alexis Sanchez Whoooooaaa!"

I hope we're able to sing that tonight!

Arsenal played well for about 70 minutes. Barca blitzed them on a counter attack to get the first goal, then Flamini fouled Messi for a penalty leading to the second...not even sure why Flamini was on the pitch. IMO Arsenal wasted 3 or 4 good opportunities and should have scored at least one goal. Ter Stegan made an excellent save keeping a Giroud header out as well.

I thought the Bayern Juve game was over with Bayern up 2-0. I just saw it ended in a 2-2 draw. WOW!

It should have been over! Bayern played probably the best I have seen them play under Pep for the first 60 min and then we made 2 defensive mistakes gifting them 2 chances and they took both of them. Mandzukic head butted Lewandowski and threw some elbows at Vidal and didn't even get a booking, let alone sent off(which is what should have happened!). It felt like a loss to end up 2:2 in a game that we totally dominated but that is Champions League football! The 2 away goals are nice though and we should have a few defenders back by the return on March 16! We had to use Joshua Kimmich(21 yr old MF'er) and David Alaba(very good LB) as our 2 central defenders this match away to the defending, current Serie A leaders plus last year Champions League Final team Juventus, so all in all, a good result. If we can get Benatia back match fit(he played the last 20 min of this Tie) and also Javi Martinez(who will rejoin team training next week) we can still make progress in the Champions League. We have been so hard hit again to injury this season but are still in it for all 3 trophies!

Im watching a game live for once.
Arsenal defending is awful. Nice for Rashford to take his chances.
Tott down too at the moment, Leicester must be on the edge of their seats today

I'm afraid we're watching the demise of the Arsenal season today. Even with the goal they pulled back they're playing clueless and scared. Spurts will find a way to come back against Swans, and the Gunners are headed for their inevitable slot behind City. This has to be Wenger's last season. I wanted to believe after the Leicester game, but that is proving to be a very lucky result.

Wow! Our U21 (essentially) team just beat Arsenal and I actually enjoyed watching football today. I guess these kids are too young to have been Vangalised yet - they were playing free and fast and weren't passing sideways and backwards.

How about Rashford?? 4 goals in his first 2 matches. More than Welbz had in 2 whole seasons in all matches at United and more than Falcao too.

Ramsey dreadful. Walcott awful. Sanchez completely out of form. Defending typical Arsenal. Man U has youngsters running circles around them. And when Arsenal brings on its own youngster, Iwobi, he is putrid. The best players on the pitch today for Arsenal were Ozil and Welbeck (who we got from Man U). Both deserve to play for a better team. Still, I wouldn't expect any changes at Arsenal. Wenger will probably be around five more years, which is fine with Kroenke because he is making money.

Last edited:
The game today was dreadful.

Walcott is not the answer up front. It seemed the only time he possessed the ball he gave it away, which lead directly to a goal.

Sanchez is out of form and needs a couple game against lower level competition to get confidence back. He also tries to do too much with the ball and gets dispossessed too easily.

Kos was dreadful IMO. The second goal he was standing around like a statue marking nobody. Gabriel even yelled towards him immediately after the goal, which I am guessing was because Kos wasn't really helping by doing whatever it was that he was doing. Many will say the third goal was bad luck deflecting off Kos (and it was mostly Coq's fault for falling too deep) but as usual when a shot is taken, Kos turned away. Had he not turned his body away the ball would not have deflected off him and into the net.

It was interesting hearing the announcers continually talking about the same things friends & I always talk about. In order for Arsenal to score they practically need to pass the ball into the net. They just don't seem to know when to take shots. They either wait too long and lose possession or they take low percentage shots, seemingly out of desperation.

There are a lot of things this team needs, and a change at the top is the start. Unfortunately I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Yeah as a casual observer the United kids brought a lot of positive energy to that game. It was fun to watch.

Sanchez i agree hes a mess right now and Walcott continues to be as overpaid as anyone in EPL. He has no position and questionable effort.
Kosc, oh how he ceases to let my criticism ever feel unjustified. Standing around on second goal marking an imaginary striker, off his chest third goal, countless open men uncovered running across the box while he played zone by himself?

Memphis is not back to form but he showed flashes. Herrera made some nice passes and Rashford i hope they dont overplay now. Give him a game off don't demand too much.

Tottenham big win.

Yeah as a casual observer the United kids brought a lot of positive energy to that game. It was fun to watch.

Sanchez i agree hes a mess right now and Walcott continues to be as overpaid as anyone in EPL. He has no position and questionable effort.
Kosc, oh how he ceases to let my criticism ever feel unjustified. Standing around on second goal marking an imaginary striker, off his chest third goal, countless open men uncovered running across the box while he played zone by himself?

Memphis is not back to form but he showed flashes. Herrera made some nice passes and Rashford i hope they dont overplay now. Give him a game off don't demand too much.

Tottenham big win.

United might not have a choice re: Rashford. If he's their only healthy Striker again, I'd expect him to start on Wednesday.

Sloppy and sluggish game for us today, but a beautiful Mata free kick at the 83rd gives us 4 wins in a row in all comps... and with losses by City, Arsenal, and Tott... we're seriously alive in the top 4 hunt!

Could that seal the deal for Leicster? Barring a massive collapse.

Needed a win, but considering Coquelin's momentary lapse in judgment, one point is better than zero. A real shame because Arsenal had seemed to find a formation that worked.

Considering the circumstances, I can live with the draw. I do think Dier should have been sent off, and Ramsey should have won it. But Spurs have to be really dejected after that one. And what a massive result for Leicester.

Considering the circumstances, I can live with the draw. I do think Dier should have been sent off, and Ramsey should have won it. But Spurs have to be really dejected after that one. And what a massive result for Leicester.

Bellerin was lucky not to get a 2nd yellow also (grabbing jersey of Alli iirc) in ~ 88th min. Not sure would've made a difference in the result.

Good thing for Arsenal is that Coquelin's suspension is the Hull City FA Cup replay on Tuesday.

As an aside, now that Chelsea dropped more points today, hopefully all the silliness of people talking about top 4 again will dissipate.

The Arsenal dispatches Hull 4-0 to advance in the FA Cup; lost three defenders to injury in the process.

Fortunately, it doesn't sound like Mertesacker is that serious. We need Koscielny to get healthy and back into the squad.

Bellerin was lucky not to get a 2nd yellow also (grabbing jersey of Alli iirc) in ~ 88th min. Not sure would've made a difference in the result.

Good thing for Arsenal is that Coquelin's suspension is the Hull City FA Cup replay on Tuesday.

As an aside, now that Chelsea dropped more points today, hopefully all the silliness of people talking about top 4 again will dissipate.

Wait, what? I've seen the few sporadic comments and post, but I just took those as crazies. I hope no one was serious. I held out hope for top 6 and maybe another round in the CL. I do wonder if Roman should give Hiddink a full season. The players seem to have responded well to him, but they just be how much Mourinho had lost them.

Wait, what? I've seen the few sporadic comments and post, but I just took those as crazies. I hope no one was serious. I held out hope for top 6 and maybe another round in the CL. I do wonder if Roman should give Hiddink a full season. The players seem to have responded well to him, but they just be how much Mourinho had lost them.

If Conte is the guy (as most reports are currently saying) I'm good with that, as long as he doesn't want to play 3 at the back. He's shown a lot of versatility in how he lines up and he's done well in being along young players (specifically 1 Paul Pogba).

Hiddink was a guy that was used just because anyone else would've had huge backlash (see FSW). We really haven't played that well under Hiddink, just anything would've looked palatable compared to what we did under Mou the first 4 months of the year.

If Conte is the guy (as most reports are currently saying) I'm good with that, as long as he doesn't want to play 3 at the back. He's shown a lot of versatility in how he lines up and he's done well in being along young players (specifically 1 Paul Pogba).

Hiddink was a guy that was used just because anyone else would've had huge backlash (see FSW). We really haven't played that well under Hiddink, just anything would've looked palatable compared to what we did under Mou the first 4 months of the year.

That's true, and if Conte can someehow bring Pogba, I'm definitely game (although unlikely). I really just dread the possibility of a 3 back formation. And you're right on Hiddink, anything would look better.

And then there was none - as in no more trophies for Chelsea to play for. :(

I guess Europa is still a possiblity if Chelsea finishes 5th or 6th (depending on who wins the FA Cup), but 9 games to go in this highly forgettable campaign. Here's to hoping we get our act together in the summer.

That being said, already off to a bad start by agreeing to play in America (again). Need to keep summer training limited to Europe. No reason to do that crazy travelling. The money gained can't possibly be big enough to warrant the travel and added hectic nature to the schedule.

I read elsewhere yesterday that many in London believe Wenger will remain as long as he keeps Arsenal in the Top 4 and/or brings Silverware back to the Emirates each year. Well as of now he pretty much only has hopes of Top 4. FA Cup is gone, Champions League is all but gone (no way they win in Barcelona, never mind by 2 goals), and winning the league is highly doubtful.

The sad part is the club continues to make Kroenke money and that is all he cares about. IMO all this talk of winning the league is lip service to keep the fans excited and spending money. If the club really wanted to win the league they would make changes during the transfer windows. Heck, they also need to get back to developing more players and spending money on the youth program instead of depending on others to develop teenagers and then buying them when the chance comes up.

I read elsewhere yesterday that many in London believe Wenger will remain as long as he keeps Arsenal in the Top 4 and/or brings Silverware back to the Emirates each year. Well as of now he pretty much only has hopes of Top 4. FA Cup is gone, Champions League is all but gone (no way they win in Barcelona, never mind by 2 goals), and winning the league is highly doubtful.

The sad part is the club continues to make Kroenke money and that is all he cares about. IMO all this talk of winning the league is lip service to keep the fans excited and spending money. If the club really wanted to win the league they would make changes during the transfer windows. Heck, they also need to get back to developing more players and spending money on the youth program instead of depending on others to develop teenagers and then buying them when the chance comes up.

I agree completely. And it is sad because with ManU, Chelsea, and even Man City to a degree struggling, this was Arsenal's golden opportunity. And they really did not need to add much. A good center defender and a striker. The same positions people (expert and armchair expert) have been saying for the past few years.

Leicester needs to get it done todsy vs a poor now Bemitez run Newcastle. Hoping LC keeps the pressure on and Tottenham falters soon to really let them breathe

Reactions: seminoleed
Leicester needs to get it done todsy vs a poor now Bemitez run Newcastle. Hoping LC keeps the pressure on and Tottenham falters soon to really let them breathe

Leicester did re-open that 5 point gap, with a pretty decent overhead kick by Okazaki (sp).

With Spurs being on the verge of going out of Europa (lost 3-0 in the 1st leg vs. BVB), they'll be on the 1 game a week schedule that LC are already on. I do believe that Spurs' schedule is a bit tougher than LC's. Will be interesting to see how it plays out as basically very few players (Toby Alderweireld was on Atletico's 2014 title team) on either team have any experience playing for a title.

Nice win, well ugly win but a win.
I think lately we've seen some inexperience with LC as theyre leaving bad teams in games. I hope they can put teams away earlier but im not sure they have the firepower.

LC started the season outscoring opponents now theyve gone conservative and Schmeichel is racking up shutouts in counter attacking fashion. Im sure being in first is the reason for a tactical shift.

It's official, Italy can't catch England and get a 4th UCL spot for next year.

Rishi,
Saw that, brit fans exhale everywhere it would have hurt their big money tv deals in future.

Amazingly La liga again couod have 6/7 teams left after Europa today, as two teams are head to head and one heading home. Its a joke how much better with infinitely less resources and $ that Spain is vs an EPL. Technical skill wise its a different game.
Sevilla, Bilbao, Villarreak etccc would kill for the resources a Tottenham or Man United or even a loaded roster Everton have. Yet every year spain dominates Europe and has a crazy coefficient lead on Germany.

Real vs Wolfsburg
bayern vs Benfica
Psg vs Man City
Barca vs Atl

Atl may be only team that can beat Barca hope they do. Good draws for Real and Bayern.

Real vs Wolfsburg
bayern vs Benfica
Psg vs Man City
Barca vs Atl

Atl may be only team that can beat Barca hope they do. Good draws for Real and Bayern.

Who I think will win:
Real, Bayern, PSG, Barca

Who I want to win:
Wolfsberg, Bayern, City, Atletico

Real vs Wolfsburg
bayern vs Benfica
Psg vs Man City
Barca vs Atl

just to tag:

Tuesday Apr. 5th:

Barca v Atletico
Bayern v Benfica

Wednesday Apr. 6th:

PSG v Man City
Wolfsburg v Real

Tuesday Apr. 12th:

Man City v PSG
Real v Wolfsburg

Wed. Apr. 13th:

Atletico v Barca
Benfica v Bayern

Assuming all the favs win (with PSG/Man City being the closest to a toss up IMO), I'm hoping that Bayern/Barca match up in the semis, as I'd rather see them play a 2 match KO tie rather than a 1 match final. Also, by the time the semis roll along, hopefully Bayern will be healthy/healthier at CB. I think Bayern has more steel in the middle of park this year with Vidal in addition to Xabi Alonso to limit the amount of space that Barca would have to use (compared to last year's Bayern team). If Bayern has 2 healthy CBs for both legs (not incl. Kimmich) I'd favour them to advance.

Both Man City and PSG are probably happy with the draw as they avoid the "heavyweights". Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think either has ever made a semi-final.

Rishi, spot on as usual.

No PSG and City never been to current day UCL semis.

I can admit, as a Real fan, Real has the worst Ronaldo plus 10 in his tenure in Madrid. james and Isco and Kroos have all had career worst years and may all leave this summer. I give Zidane credit for experimenting but when you've given up on the league you can do that. Really it's Ronaldo and Navas and that's all that deserve any trophies. I continue to be amazed Real have mismanaged and destroyed Ronaldos prime with awful and sexy big money buys, as opposed to Barcelona dominating team development little by little. I hate to say but Barcelona are the greatest scouting team in world football. Messi misses games, Barca keeps winning. Suarez is actually their best player this season. Total opposite at Madrid that relies on one guy.

Anyway, Benfica i wouldn't sleep on, Bayern are lucky to be alive and not what they were but it's the UCL, and luck you need.

PSG/City is pretty cool from a casual observer, Aguero/Ibra one has to finally enter that elite status with a great matchup.

Anyway, should be fun quarters if i'm Bayern and Real i'd be nervous, opponents won't lay down.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT