ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

If I'm Hodgson, I think my front six would be in a combo of 2-3-1 or 3-3 would be:
Henderson Dier
Sterling Barkley Alli (Barkley would be the one moving back in a 3-3)
Kane

Vardy and Sturridge would be my backup Strikers and Rooney wouldn't be on the team.

Back 4 is a bit more in flux as to be nice, the quality isn't as strong as the front 6 - especially with young players (let's stay 25 and under).

I'd probably go with:

Walker Stones Cahill Bertrand backed up by Clyne Jagielka Smalling Baines

Hart would be the captain with Cahill (short term) and Henderson (long term) as the vice captains.

I guess full 23 would be:

GK (3):

Hart (assuming injury isn't long term)
Butland
Forster

D (8):

Walker
Clyne
Cahill
Stones
Jagielka
Smalling
Bertrand
Baines

Mid (8):

Henderson
Dier
Shelvey
Mason
Barkley
Lingard
Sterling
Alli

Forward (4):

Kane
Vardy
Sturridge
Walcott

Walcott chose because he can be a backup at AM as well. And odds are if a Mid needs to be replaced you're starting with either Vardy or Sturridge to put 2 up top with any of the 3 (whichever are out there) able to play in the middle or wider.

Essentially, I chose youth over experience in any "close call" as to be brutally honest England's only chance of winning is if the GKs are on a level that we've never seen before (i.e. >>>>>> Buffon 2006/Schmeichel 1992 level).

Then find some stability on the backline for the next 4-6 years to grow and play with the front 6 and you've got a chance to do some in those years.

Footie lost a great one today. Johan Cruyf, the Flying Dutchman. 68 from lung cancer.
I have trouble dealing with the fact he was just 3 years older than me; seems like he was playing
just a few years ago.

What a cracker of a match between Germany and England today...especially after watching last night's debacle with the US team.

Great match. Hard decisions for Roy Hodgson. I hate to say it, but it looks like the heart of the England line up at the Euros and World Cup will be Spurs. Other than Welbeck, I wouldn't pick any Arsenal players for the final 23. Not Walcott and not Wilshere.

Watching England play the worst cb pairing from Everton in the EPL is just insanity. Jags and Pebbles yuck, that a dreadful looking defense based on current seasons form for both.
And then Barkley ahead of them, youd think Everton were a top 3 side, Hodgson must base his starts on the popularity of players in british papers.....
Nice to see Dutch keep playing new faces time to rebuild their roster

I have a dream that somehow Vardy falls into The Arsenal's clutches.

But it's only a dream.

Well, my nightmare was a reality. Mourinho blocked the transfer of Vardy to Chelsea in the summer in favour of Falcao.

Fernando Torres' 1st half line:

1 goal
3 tackles
2 yellow cards

Atleti w/a precious away goal though...now can they hold Barca scoreless for an entire half, down a man? Me thinks no way, but if anyone can, it's them.

20 seconds into the PSG/Man City match and David Luiz has a yellow already. Really...the first play of the match he got a yellow.

Now he's gotta make it 90 minutes on his best behavior. Interesting subplot.

This center is one of the absolute worst; and his assistants aren't far behind, either.
PSG should have had 3 PK's thus far; and their go ahead goal looked offside.
How does this level of competition get zebras this horrible?

Real suffering a bit of El Clasico hangover?? Down 2-0 @ Wolfsburg!

It was mentioned that I should probably make a mention her. Would you guys mind looking at this thread about how you became a fan linked below? I'm trying to get into the Premier League and simply can't find a connection so I was curious to hear your stories. Keeping them in that thread would make it easier than having to clutter this thread with discussion.

https://floridastate.forums.rivals....cer-fans-how-did-you-choose-your-team.121479/

So Leicester are 10 clear with Tott still to play United soon. Barring an absolute epic meltdown of historic proportions, looks like they've pulled it off. Good for them!

Good for the Foxes. They do what they have to do. This will rank up there with the Braves worst to first year. Would love to see the Red Devils put it to Hotpants today; apparently, they're stuck in traffic trying to get to White Hart Lane.

Good for the Foxes. They do what they have to do. This will rank up there with the Braves worst to first year. Would love to see the Red Devils put it to Hotpants today; apparently, they're stuck in traffic trying to get to White Hart Lane.

Yeah, the match has been delayed a minimum of 30 minutes for now. They said something about the team having stayed in Trafalgar Square last night and are stuck in London traffic. How does this even happen? I blame LvG.

look-kids-big-ben-o.gif

Cr7. Ridiculous one man showing yet again. If he gets any help Real can get to the finals but its worrying how poor his teammates play in big games.

Ibra and PSG the annual let down in knock out stages.,

Man, I so badly want CR7 back in Manchester...

That was insane. That was the textbook example of "putting your team on your back". Down 0-2 in aggregate and pulling that off, wow!

So, Barcelona out of the Champions League. Interesting. Not sure who the favorite is now.

General question for you guys-- If heading the ball was removed from the game due to head injury/ concussion issues would you still like the sport? Could it carry on without this or is heading an integral part of the game?

Just read on a British site where they the FA is investigating if there is a link between heading and dementia. The issue really isn't heading the ball however. Rather it's the collision of players when going up in the air for the ball.

Eerily similar to the football concussion issues...

on heading, i wouldn't watch anymore. I agree I think it's more collisions, womens soccer last study i saw had more concussions from collisions than just about any womens sports. heading properly isn't the problem, like tackling, if you do it correctly i'm skeptical it's a long term issue. Even if it is, it's part of the sport, can't do away with it.

Barcelona, wow are they slumping! I'm sure they won't keep dropping points in Liga to make that closer than the 3/4 point lead now with easy schedule last 5, but i'm surprised.
Textbook Atletico performance.
I'm not sure who the best team is, might be Atletico. Cr7 is one man team with 16 CL goals, Bayern has Neuer the human error and Robben out, and City drew heartless PSG so hard to say this makes up for their league disaster this season.
Should be a great CL semis i'm hoping!
I'd like Real to draw anyone but Atletico.

on heading, i wouldn't watch anymore. I agree I think it's more collisions, womens soccer last study i saw had more concussions from collisions than just about any womens sports. heading properly isn't the problem, like tackling, if you do it correctly i'm skeptical it's a long term issue. Even if it is, it's part of the sport, can't do away with it.

Barcelona, wow are they slumping! I'm sure they won't keep dropping points in Liga to make that closer than the 3/4 point lead now with easy schedule last 5, but i'm surprised.
Textbook Atletico performance.
I'm not sure who the best team is, might be Atletico. Cr7 is one man team with 16 CL goals, Bayern has Neuer the human error and Robben out, and City drew heartless PSG so hard to say this makes up for their league disaster this season.
Should be a great CL semis i'm hoping!
I'd like Real to draw anyone but Atletico.

Shades of 2014 - with Man City filling the Chelsea slot. City probably hoping for Athletico, but in reality, should hope for either Real or Bayern.

I thought Bayern was the favourite prior to the KOs starting provided that they got healthier at CB (specifically), they still aren't at full strength there.

I'll definitely be cheering for Ath. Madrid the rest of the way. I love the way they play -> just pure pressure until either they gas or the other team submits.

I thought they had a good chance to beat Barca, but was shocked at how in control of the game they were, other than that little blip where Barca should have got a penalty, they had complete control of the game. Mind you, who knows how the game goes is Iniesta gets a Red Card like he should have instead of just a yellow.

As a bit of an aside, my favourite play in the game was when Suarez turned his defender so that he had the defender of the "wrong side" so he could swivel for a shot - unfortunately he hit Oblak right in the middle of the chest.

On concussions, I agree most of the problem is with collisions. In the past most played with a heavy ball so I am sure that helped contribute to some issues, but in recent years that has been changed. If heading the ball was made illegal, I don't know that I would still watch. IT truly is a big part of the game, and a lot of players would no longer be viable professional footballers (see Andy Carrol).

As for the CL results, I was surprised both City & Athletico. Moving forward I actually hope the Madrid teams draw each other so we don't have a chance at an all Madrid final. I know if they don't draw each other they might both get eliminated, but I don't see City beating either, and Bayern still isn't healthy and could struggle with both as well.

City v Real
Atletico v Bayern

If I'm reading correctly, home team in 1st legs are City and Atletico, not sure of dates yet.

I'll be honest, I think this is the best draw for City, but they'll still be the underdog.

EDIT:

I see it's now listed as:

Tuesday April 26/Wed May 4th for City/Real
Wed. April 27/Tues May 3rd for Atletico/Bayern.

Last edited:
On concussions, I agree most of the problem is with collisions. In the past most played with a heavy ball so I am sure that helped contribute to some issues, but in recent years that has been changed. If heading the ball was made illegal, I don't know that I would still watch. IT truly is a big part of the game, and a lot of players would no longer be viable professional footballers (see Andy Carrol).

As for the CL results, I was surprised both City & Athletico. Moving forward I actually hope the Madrid teams draw each other so we don't have a chance at an all Madrid final. I know if they don't draw each other they might both get eliminated, but I don't see City beating either, and Bayern still isn't healthy and could struggle with both as well.

I am addressing only the "Bayern still isn't healthy" comment only here. Barring any new injuries(which with us the last few years is a BIG IF!), both Boateng and Robben are close to rejoining team training and should be in the side that travels to Madrid for the 1st leg! The last 2 seasons of exiting at this stage were largely due to injuries! If we have a fully fit team to choose from than only Pep's tactics and Startelf's can muck it up IMHO! Bayern are still in it for the Triple and if we can remain healthy I like our chances moving forward. I think City can beat Real. Real look like CR7 and a collection of overpriced stiffs. Wolfsburg are currently 8th in the Bundesliga and they should have knocked them out last round just like Schalke 04 should have done last year. Of course they didn't and Real live again to fight another day. They are weak at the back. Varane returning may help but there are still areas of weakness to exploit and City could get a result. If City face Bayern in the Final and at the same time are 5th in the Prem than they would need to win the CL this year to guarantee CL football next season. Pep is coaching Bayern now and would be hurting the new side immensely! Conspiracy theorists would go nuts if City were to beat Bayern in a CL Final under those circumstances! In closing let me say I am looking forward to Pep's exit and to the Carlo Ancelotti era at Bayern! Pep to me is a slightly more tolerable Jose Mourinho. I hope he falls on his Catalon ass at City in the future. Just don't like the guy at all at Bayern. He didn't fit IMHO and he might be finding things more difficult in the coming years as Barca and Bayern both had the cupboards full when he was there and perhaps not so much at City for his style? We shall see

Hey warrior,
mostly agree, Real honestly is a one man team in big games for 6 years running, but until debruyne got back i honestly thought Real would massacre City. With debruyne and a motivated Aguero it might be a game at the Etihad now. Real has a long history of sucking in Germany most years so I wouldn't overanalyze Wolfsburg. Zidane has sone a nice job of putting James/Kroos/isco in their place of suck, the one thing Zidane has done a poor job is benching Varane for the red card duo of Pepe/Ramos. Varane is a world class kid CB. The two vets are brutal. But I've seen Spain and Germany win cups with bad goalies and defenders they could compensate for so what do I know.

For Pep, his style never suited any German side so i was shocked he ever went there, it won't suit EPL either. I watch La Liga more than EPL now as EPL skill is just sad. Did anyone watch Norwich/Sunderland today? wow awful. There's a reason Spain dominates Europe every season.
Should be an awesome semi round.

go Leicester!

Ronaldo not in the lineup today for Madrid vs City. Big loss for Real.

Never like to see a match of this magnitude with less-than-full-strength sides. Bummer.

Reactions: nole31906
Yeah pretty disappointing as a football fan to have cr7 finally wear down before kickoff. He should have sat last week when he looked exhausted. I expected it might make a good game but City isn't elite, despite the typical nervous and unsettled madrid away from home and Zidane started ultra defensive lineup without him so did the job. Ramos and marcelo poor, Madrid were poor and still had the best chances. If cr7 fit they should have comfortable home win. Benzema would help too.

Atletico typically brilliant. Munich no threats really and Torres should have iced it 2-0. I will say away Atletico can struggle so if Munich scores early they will move on. Atletico does not do well when needing goals.

And if they do, The Arsenal will only be 2 points behind them for 2nd. Wouldn't it be wonderful for St. Totteringham's Day to fall on the last day of the season? But, first things first; Gunners still have to be City.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT