ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

Last edited:
Typical dirty display from the blue gobshite. Barkley is an embarrassment and I doubt the FA will retrospective ban Williams for stamping on Can's back much less that horror tackle on him. After Colemans injury at the International break, you'd think they wouldn't go out to try and injure players. Pathetic.

Edit: And Koemans comments fit right in for that joke of a football club.

Last edited:
With a ten-point lead heading into this weekend's matches, all my Blues had to do was take care of business against lesser competition the rest of the way to cruise to the title. Instead Chelsea loses at the Bridge to Palace despite 73% possession and a 3/1 shots and shots on goal advantage. I hope the chokitis that others I root for suffer from hasn't spread across the pond to the EPL. :oops:

Nice workmanlike performance by Chelsea today to pick up 3 points @ Bournemouth. My Blues must keep winning...Hotpants might be the best club on the planet right now, and it must be assumed they're going to win out.

Sadly, I think you're right about Spurs. For The Arsenal supporters, it appears likely we'll not have
a St. Totteringham's Day this season. :(:(
Yet another "like" where I actually dislike. If St. T's day did actually miraculously occur this season, I'd be right there with you enjoying an ale. :D

Nice workmanlike performance by Chelsea today to pick up 3 points @ Bournemouth. My Blues must keep winning...Hotpants might be the best club on the planet right now, and it must be assumed they're going to win out.

Which sucks since we have to play Spurs in the FA Cup semi 2 Saturdays from now and Kane's back (already) so they'll be full strength and it's their only chance for a trophy this year.

Reactions: NoleLizards
On the bright side (for me), Atlanta United FC is now 2-1-2 to start the season. Not having a home game for a month sucks, but they've drawn with Seattle and Toronto the last 2 weeks on the road; note these are the two teams that played for the MLS Cup last year. And this despite being a man down for the last 20 minutes against Toronto. Team has no quit in it, and is a lot of fun to watch.

On the bright side (for me), Atlanta United FC is now 2-1-2 to start the season. Not having a home game for a month sucks, but they've drawn with Seattle and Toronto the last 2 weeks on the road; note these are the two teams that played for the MLS Cup last year. And this despite being a man down for the last 20 minutes against Toronto. Team has no quit in it, and is a lot of fun to watch.

They're doing damn well for an expansion team. Orlando started off hot in their inaugural season and fell off, so we'll see with Atlanta. Just counting down the days until they officially announce the Tampa Bay Rowdies will be in the MLS

Not to quibble, but Orlando didn't win their first game until 4/18, and their 2nd on 5/13. They started
out to that point 2 wins, 3 draws and 5 losses. Not my definition of starting hot.

Not to quibble, but Orlando didn't win their first game until 4/18, and their 2nd on 5/13. They started
out to that point 2 wins, 3 draws and 5 losses. Not my definition of starting hot.

Yeah, you're right, my apologies. I was thinking about their 2016 season.

I'm afraid that what has to happen at Arsenal is an abysmal defeat to Tottenham on April 30th. It appears nothing short of outright rioting (which will occur if Tottenham whoops us by 3 goals the way everyone else has lately) will get Wenger to leave by his own accord, or get the good-for-nothing Board to revoke the contract that's on the table for him.

What happened yesterday was unacceptable (again). Let's recap:

1. Defense gives up 3 goals (again).
2. We got "Ole'd" by the Crystal Palace crowd in the 80th minute and beyond.
3. Crystal Palace, not Arsenal supporters, sang, "We want you to stay...We want you to stay...Arsene Wenger, we want you to stay."
4. Arsenal supporters sang, "You're not fit to wear the shirt!" (which is true)

This is a club that has no backbone, direction, vision, heart, and no plan. It can get worse too. If we somehow get past City in the FA Cup semifinal...which appears horribly unlikely at the moment, we'd play the winner of Tottenham vs Chelsea. The way Tottenham's playing, you've got to think they're going through. So we could possibly play (and lose to) Tottenham in the FA Cup Final, after playing (and likely losing to them) on April 30th in the league. Can you imagine the dissent if that scenario or anything resembling that scenario happens?

#WengerOut

Well, Chelsea is literally walking into Casa Diablos to face the Red Devils led by our ex-manager. If my Blues don't win, Hotpants will be breathing right down the back of our necks. I'm as nervous for this particular Chelsea match as any I've ever viewed.

Incidentally, Ibra's not dressed for United (fatigue?) and Courtois will not keep for Chelsea due to a tweaked ankle during training. Sounds like a wash.

Last edited:
Simply a very poor, pathetic, soulless effort by Chelsea today. They look nothing like a side that has a championship within reach and wants to reach out and grasp it. I believe we may be witnessing one of the epic choke jobs in the history of team sport as a once seemingly-insurmountable double-digit lead in the table has now become paper thin.

Bayern has every right to complain about this game. Of course, it'll fall on deaf ears at UEFA, and Pretty Boy will get his obligatory ink and time in the spotlight.

Gotta say we got the UCL semi matchups that I wanted the least.

Real (1st leg home) v Athleti (May 2/10)
Monaco (1st leg home) v Juve (May 3/9)

I was hoping for any of the other matchups b/c I didn't want Madrid derby again.

In order I wanted Real/Juve then Real/Monaco.

Preferred Real/Juve b/c I wanted to see that over 2 legs rather than 1 if they meet in the finals (as I'm sure most will predict).

Would've like Real/Monaco b/c of the potential for another Man City/Monaco type tie. All that offensive talent on the pitch would've been fun to watch.

Also the Juve/Athleti tie would've been really fun to watch the tactical battle especially in the middle of the pitch.

The thing I think I'm most intrigued about with these ties is if Juve reverts back to a back 3 or sticks with the back 4.

As an aside, Monaco better win it this year as odds are that they are going to lose about 4+ starters from the team this summer.

ST - They'll probably try to hold on to Mbappe for 1 more year, but €80M+ might be tough to turn down (even though they turned down a €40M bid from Man City this past summer). They could also (finally) be able to sell Falcao since he's finally been healthy and productive following his devasting knee injury from ~3.5 years ago.

AM/Creative MF - Bernardo Silva will probably be playing his football away from the principality come August. Going to guess they get €55-60M for him. Thomas Lemar could also go this summer, but he will probably stay as his value is likely <€40M at this point.

DM/CM - Bakayoko likely is gone as well. Been a target for both Manchester teams as well as Chelsea. Likely another €50M to Monaco. Would like Chelsea to get him if we do sell one or both of Matic and Cesc this summer.

I guess Fabinho could leave this summer too as either a DM or a RB, but haven't seen as many links with him (although I'm sure those will ratchet up soon).

LB - Benjamin Mendy, likely one of the hottest commodities this summer regardless of position. I'm hoping Chelsea succeeds here as his versatility would compliment what we've already got in Alonso for the LWB as well as LB. I'm also of the belief that Mendy could play as a LCM similar to how David Alaba is used a lot by Austria (and Bayern last year).

RB - Sidibe, another hot commodity who's stock will likely have peaked for Monaco. I could see him end up at one of the big boys in England or even at Barca should they fail in their quest to reacquire Hector Bellarin.

Let's see how well they are able to recruit some replacements this summer.

UEL draw has Ajax (hosting 1st leg) v Lyon (Wed. May 3rd/May 11)
Celta Vigo (hosting 1st leg) v Manchester United (Th. May 4/11)

Ajax/Lyon 1st leg being played on Wednesday b/c Thursday May 4th is a day of remembrance in the Netherlands (my joke is that they take Star Wars day a bit too seriously :))

Nice analyses, Rishi...You could do this stuff for a living. :)

So what do you think about our Blues' chances against Tottenham tomorrow? How healthy is Chelsea exactly (namely Alonso & Courtois)??

Nice analyses, Rishi...You could do this stuff for a living. :)

So what do you think about our Blues' chances against Tottenham tomorrow? How healthy is Chelsea exactly (namely Alonso & Courtois)??

Both of those should be a go, but Cahill is out with Ake in. Also rumours abound that Costa will be dropped.

Here's to hoping our Blues win - after all Wembley may be Spurs' home next year, but it's still our 2nd home. :D

That being said, I have 0 confidence in Chelsea winning against Spurs right now. They are clicking currently the way we were in November (think the 5-0 thrashing we gave Everton - except Spurs have done it for like 3 matches in a row).

Also, they've truly thrived since switching to the back 3 (against us for good measure) as it gives Rose (fortunately it'll be Davies and not Rose) and Walker more freedom to play in the final 1/3 with an extra defender to cover.

Also, Dembele is playing as well as he ever has since coming to the PL. IMO, Dembele is the engine of that team.

We need to attack with Moses and Pedro/Willian down the right to make Spurs a bit 1 sided going forward - which is our stronger side definsively (strange to say even though it's generally Hazard's side) especially if we go with Matic and not Cesc.

Lastly, we have to make sure that Spurs can't isolate Dave and Moses in the air the way they did at the start of the calendar year.

I feel confident that Spurs won't try to man mark Eden with eg. Wanyama the way United did with Herrera as I think they'll have as much if not more of the ball in the early stages.

Here's to hoping Barca decide Poch is their guy. :D

EDIT: went from a 1-2 sentence reply to 1-2 page reply. :)

Unapologetically supporting Chelsea today.

As an aside, I'm in Baltimore this weekend. Tomorrow I'm heading to the official Arsenal supporter's bar to watch the match. Doors open at 9am. Match at 10. I hope they know some songs b/c I'm ready to sing tomorrow morning! This is effectively our season. I want to win the FA Cup badly.

Aaaaaand Chelsea proceeds to roll out a lineup that doesn't feature Hazard or Costa.

Wtf?

Is this a signal that Comte's prioritizing the League over the Cup? If so I sort of can't blame him...but I still sort of definitely blame him.

Spurs were better for most of the half but Chelsea own the only stat that matters.

Looking forward to seeing Hazard come on and run at a tiring Spurs defense.

Not sure how much momentum means in futbol, but I hope this gives Chelsea the lift we need to hold on in league play.

Good luck to you Arsenal supporters tomorrow...It hasn't been the season you've hoped for, and your entire program looks to be in flux. Beating Citeh to make the F.A. Cup final would provide you some measure of consolation, I'm sure.

Reactions: LesClaypool
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT