ADVERTISEMENT

Any old Andersen Consulting or Arthur Andersen alums here?

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001
Were you let go during the Enron mess? Is it fair to say it was a consulting firm on the level of Tiger Woods was to golf before his scandals hit?

Looking back now is there anything you would have differently-- career wise? As in quit? I find the downfall absolutely interesting to read about... Need to find some good articles. Anything out there?

Reactions: NoleGreg10
My brother (a nole as well) was at AA after getting his masters in accounting at USC. He spent several hard years there but got out about a year before the fall. From all accounts it was a miserable place to work unless you were a partner but if you put in your time it was good on your resume.
He's done very well for himself since and so have most of his buddies from back then.

Were you let go during the Enron mess? Is it fair to say it was a consulting firm on the level of Tiger Woods was to golf before his scandals hit?

Looking back now is there anything you would have differently-- career wise? As in quit? I find the downfall absolutely interesting to read about... Need to find some good articles. Anything out there?
I was just post the disaster in the spin off consulting arm Accenture. All the old guys would always talk about the good times, project off sites to the carribean or Vegas. Spouses would come and you'd get spending cash. I did not have that experience when I worked there.

The firm I worked for brought on a lot of the Andersen partners and some staff. They were very aggressive and cutthroat. I can understand why Andersen fell with the kind of culture it had.

I haven't read it, but there is a book about the fall: Final Accounting: Ambition, Greed and the Fall of Arthur Andersen

A friend of mine started with Anderson Consulting back in 2000 right out of college. He stayed with Accenture until 2008 and went off to Deloitte. He said the highly political environment at Accenture was enough to make him move elsewhere.

I can't even read Andersen without hearing it in Hugo Weavings voice.

Andersen alum here. I left about two years before the Enron mess happened. Hours were long but the people were pretty cool. It was my first job out of school. I stayed two years, made senior, and got the heck out.

Andersen alum here. I left about two years before the Enron mess happened. Hours were long but the people were pretty cool. It was my first job out of school. I stayed two years, made senior, and got the heck out.

This is a pretty typical lifespan at big accounting firms and big law firms. The kids get worked like dogs, and have a hard time justifying the long-term haul. I suspect that only about 10-20% of newbies hang on until partnership.....maybe a little more than that in select firms, but probably less than that in others.

Being a "service professional" is quite different than most incoming people expect.

Interviewed with the audit side of Andersen and actually had them as my second choice. In hindsight the people I met were noticeably flashier than the other firms.

After the whole Enron thing went down, the Andersen clients and staff were basically just absorbed by other firms. I imagine the partners lost their asses though.

Regarding the Big 4 grind, it works perfectly from the partner's perspective. There isn't room for everyone to make partner, so might as well burn out the workforce. You've just got to understand what you want to get out of it and make it happen.

Yes. My first job before Enron and before Arthur Andersen split into two (Consulting and Accounting and eventually consulting into Accenture). Good thing they did, or those consulting partners would have lost all their wealth like the accounting partners. As I recall, a partnership is not like a public corporation and most of the partners wealth was tied up in the equity of the partnership. I "think" a lot of the accounting partners got wiped out financially through no fault of their own due to Enron, but I was long gone and not an accountant, so I don't really know. This is probably one reason why Accenture is a public company.

I loved/hated it. I didn't hate the company as much as the work/structure etc and my personality fit. Back then I had to wear a suit every day. One project manager, when asked if we could have flex time said "You can come in any time before eight and leave any time after five" . She would notice whose cars were in the parking lot when she arrived and when she left hours after 5pm. People used to stay at the office, but not bill the client, well after 5pm, well after 8pm, to be seen. They would balance their checkbooks, make personal calls etc. Some would take on additional work which is the ultimate goal for the billable hour.

Working at a client as a consultant is always harder than working as an employee, but it gives you some good perspective in terms of making yourself valuable. This is not a bad job skill to have regardless of any technical skills.

I figured the math. In my office there were 100 staff/seniors/managers....and 2 partners. So we have a pyramid of 50 people working for one. My coworkers were all talented, many more political, and many more driven by money and titles than me. I also realized staying with the company met a lifetime of travel and not seeing my family. Making partner, the money would have been outrageous and early in my career , but it was not a game I wanted or was necessarily even good at.

So..I got my resume stamped after four years. I also got an independent consulting job at 2-3 times the money for a year while I made the transition to another company. Independent consultants can do quite well too, much better than most consulting firm employees, but then again you have the travel issue if you are not in a large market.

There were no slouchers among the employees, and if there were, they were quickly run out. I made some great friend there, and I still keep in touch with a few. Some of the managers were d**chebags and hardly tolerated. Absolutely an up or out culture. I learned some good life lessons, but they weren't always pleasant.

Oh yeah....back then anybody below manager got paid overtime, so the money was good. Also we had a travel budget per month or the client paid for travel back hom. Most employees, when out of town, got to fly home for the weekends. There were ways to go anywhere you wanted.

On one project they provided X amount of dollars per month for travel back home. I was married at that time so I flew home, but all the singles would go to Vail one weekend, Cancun the next......Work hard play hard...great in your 20s and early 30s.

Oh yeah....back then anybody below manager got paid overtime, so the money was good. Also we had a travel budget per month or the client paid for travel back hom. Most employees, when out of town, got to fly home for the weekends. There were ways to go anywhere you wanted.

On one project they provided X amount of dollars per month for travel back home. I was married at that time so I flew home, but all the singles would go to Vail one weekend, Cancun the next......Work hard play hard...great in your 20s and early 30s.

Put those expenses on the Diners Club card.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT