ADVERTISEMENT

Birmingham

When I went 5 years ago I was actually enjoyed the downtown area and there was a very trendy suburban spot that I can't remember where it was (sorry no help I know).

Probably the only Alabama city that I **might** could live.

In town for business. Anything worth seeing or doing here? Never been.

My personal favorite bbq in town is Miss Myra's for the white bbq sauce chicken. I'm not even a big fan of bbqed chicken as it doesn't have enough intracellular fat and in the hands of anyone but experts it usually turns out dry and bland. But these ARE experts. And don't worry about the their white sauce tasting of mayo, the vinegar cuts into it quite a bit.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...yra_s_Pit_Bar_B_Q-Cahaba_Heights_Alabama.html

The current darling of the Birmingham is Saw's and they finished in the top 8 or 4 of the big BBQ voting "tourney" recently, but I was very disappointed. Their white sauce DOES just taste like Duke's mayo and their chicken was dry. Their boudin would be laughed out of even New Orleans and just immediately be tossed in the trash in better places for it like Lafayette. The pulled pork wouldn't come close to the worst place in either Carolina and their ribs were just....aight.

So avoid Saw's and Dreamland is basically no better than Sonny's.

My personal favorite bbq in town is Miss Myra's for the white bbq sauce chicken. I'm not even a big fan of bbqed chicken as it doesn't have enough intracellular fat and in the hands of anyone but experts it usually turns out dry and bland. But these ARE experts. And don't worry about the their white sauce tasting of mayo, the vinegar cuts into it quite a bit.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...yra_s_Pit_Bar_B_Q-Cahaba_Heights_Alabama.html

The current darling of the Birmingham is Saw's and they finished in the top 8 or 4 of the big BBQ voting "tourney" recently, but I was very disappointed. Their white sauce DOES just taste like Duke's mayo and their chicken was dry. Their boudin would be laughed out of even New Orleans and just immediately be tossed in the trash in better places for it like Lafayette. The pulled pork wouldn't come close to the worst place in either Carolina and their ribs were just....aight.

So avoid Saw's and Dreamland is basically no better than Sonny's.
You may consume more BBQ than anyone else on earth!

So far, my impression isn't great. There is a cool looking little (key word being little) entertainment/bar complex across from my hotel called Uptown. Other than that, I was less than impressed and in some areas, wish I had a Kevlar vest

You may consume more BBQ than anyone else on earth!

So far, my impression isn't great. There is a cool looking little (key word being little) entertainment/bar complex across from my hotel called Uptown. Other than that, I was less than impressed and in some areas, wish I had a Kevlar vest

I don't eat it much on a regular because I live in Tally where there's pretty mediocre stuff at best. 4 Rivers was a HUGE increase in quality but even there I've eaten four times and only two were really excellent four maybe even five star quality but one was pretty bad and another time it was without exaggeration the worst bbq I've ever had anywhere, just ridiculously salty shoe leather. Hopefully the other locations are better managed because because of the inconsistency I dont "trust" 4 Rivers nor would I go there on a regular basis especially when it's literally two or three times the price of actual quality places like Goodman's in Perry.

Birmingham on the other hand has some quality Q. I get it everytime I'm passing through.

Miss Myra's is my favorite as they've got my second favorite bbq chicken behind Biguns in Brooksville FL and just ahead of the originator of the N Alabama white sauce chicken, Big Bob Gibson's. Miss Myra's is very close to the very iconic Big Bob Gibson's but I like it ever so slightly better and it's in Birmingham which I pass through occassionally while Decator is not on the way for me.

There's some other quality Q just not the overrated foodie upstart Saw's or the Alabama iconic but equally overrated Dreamland. But most of it is relatively large chains like Jim & Nicks, Full Moon and Dreamland. You might as well support an iconic local and get the best Q at Miss Myra's.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/best-barbecue-bbq-chicken-in-birmingham-alabama.html

The Fish Market on 22nd Street is low key, kinda funky and can be fun. The experience has been different each time (have been there while on work trips), but I enjoy their Athenian Grouper. Greek restaurant, so prices are reasonable and quantity no problem. Decent beer selection... some nights they have live music.

What about the wings at Saw's soul kitchen Tribe? Surely you can't find anything wrong with them

What about the wings at Saw's soul kitchen Tribe? Surely you can't find anything wrong with them

I haven't been to the Soul Kitchen just Saw's BBQ. I was disappointed enough in Saw's that I wouldn't waste my time going back when you've got Miss Myra's. I didn't care for the sauces in particular their white sauce has exactly all the negative characteristics people go in thinking a mayo based sauce would have. And the meats were not all that either, but to top it off when I went it was right after the BBQ tourney so we had to wait FOREVER for it like Franklins in Texas but was not even close to worth it.

As far as Soul Kitchen, like I said I've never been. I just had such a bad time at the BBq place and I honestly don't remember the sides being particularly good either.

FYI, the Dreamland BBQ location in Birmingham sucks. Toughest ribs I've ever had.

With my old company, I went to Birmingham 3 or 4 times for work. Each time we went to this whiskey bar in Mountain Brook called Dram, which was absolutely awesome.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
In town for business. Anything worth seeing or doing here? Never been.

You've got a couple of the RTJ trail courses nearby, that's a decent option. Birmingham's not bad.....but it's not very good, either.

The Fish Market on 22nd Street is low key, kinda funky and can be fun. The experience has been different each time (have been there while on work trips), but I enjoy their Athenian Grouper. Greek restaurant, so prices are reasonable and quantity no problem. Decent beer selection... some nights they have live music.
Fish Market is good.

My neighbor just opened a place called Babalu Tacos and Tapas near UAB. If you go there let me know how it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT