ADVERTISEMENT

BRAVES 2017

At this point in the season, you're looking for anything to smile about. The win last night was good too.

mlbf_1758564283_th_43.jpg

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/08/22...w-down-to-second-with-an-impressive-swim-move

I don't blame Johnson for another blown pitching assignment .. I blame Snitker for continuing to pitch a guy who cannot get the job done. Lack of players or not, Snitker has been unimpressive with his managing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only time to pitch Johnson is when already trailing by 10, absolutely no reason to let him pitch with a lead.

It is a shame they are letting Matt Adams rot on the bench with the year he was having.

I see it's nickname on the jersey night. Wonder if Johnson's says "Blown Save".
At what point do the Braves start Suzuki each game and make Flowers his day off catcher. Kurt has more homers with 80 less at bats.

I still think the decision to continue to pitch Johnson is coming from the front office.

Braves will keep using pitcher Jim Johnson

7:23 p.m Friday, Aug. 25, 2017 Atlanta Braves
Jim Johnson is having one of the worst stretches of his 12-year major league career, a slump so bad that Braves manager Brian Snitker indicated it might be time to shut him down for a bit after Johnson gave up four runs for the second consecutive outing Wednesday and blew an eighth-inning lead in a loss to the Mariners.

But after the team’s day off Thurday, Snitker said before Friday night’s series opener against the Rockies that Johnson would keep pitching and try to work through his struggles. The sinkerballer’s sinker isn’t sinking and his 5.69 ERA is the second-highest of his career and climbing steadily in recent weeks.
<snip>
In one-run games, Johnson has allowed 25 hits and 13 walks for a .301 average and .388 on-base percentage.

In eight August appearances he has a 16.50 ERA, .433 opponents’ average and 1.171 opponents’ OPS, after posting a 6.48 ERA, .306 opponents’ average and .854 opponents’ OPS in 10 July appearances.

When Johnson converted seven of eight saves in May, he had a 2.25 ERA, .143 opponents’ average and .414 opponents’ OPS in 13 appearances for the month. But in 30 appearances since the beginning of June, he has a 7.57 ERA, .302 opponents’ average and .847 opponents’ OPS, allowing 35 hits, 23 runs, four homers and 15 walks in 27 1/3 innings.

In 17 appearances dating to July 2, he has an 11.48 ERA and 1.041 opponents’ OPS, allowing 24 hits, 17 runs and 10 walks with 12 strikeouts in 13 1/3 innings.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/...g-pitcher-jim-johnson/srhdcsNiwm71LJARlZiqoN/

The hard thing I struggle with in MLB is when your team is obviously out if the playoff hunt each game is so meaningless. Maybe the last week you. Luke argue they can play spoiler but with a month to go you can't really say that yet. In football playing spoiler is a lot bigger deal however because one game means everything.

Long story short I'm ready for the braves to be relevant again.

The hard thing I struggle with in MLB is when your team is obviously out if the playoff hunt each game is so meaningless. Maybe the last week you. Luke argue they can play spoiler but with a month to go you can't really say that yet. In football playing spoiler is a lot bigger deal however because one game means everything.

Long story short I'm ready for the braves to be relevant again.
You may be waiting a while ... won the first game of a double header at philly ... that is not saying much until you consider Atlanta's record against them this season.

Braves traded Phillips to angels last night. Another step towards future but I think Albies, Camargo, Ruiz production will be less than what Phillips contribution would have been. Just hoping 2018 season is better but still not optimistic.

Well they did get a journeyman minor league catcher in the trade. The reds were paying 13 million of his 14 m. salary. It was said they may try to get him back later on. So much of what these teams do never makes sense to me. I really wonder if the Braves have the organization in place to ever make a good run.

Braves trade Brandon Phillips to Angels for minor league catcher

CHICAGO – The Braves traded veteran Brandon Phillips to the Angels for journeyman minor league catcher Tony Sanchez, a deal that Phillips had to approve and did so only after talking with his mother, brother and other family members for hours while the Braves were playing the Cubs.

Phillips, 36, has lived most of his life in Stone Mountain outside Atlanta and said leaving the Braves was harder than being traded from his longtime Reds team six months ago just before spring training.

But his family convinced him that going to the Angels to pursue a World Series ring was the right call and that he should approve the trade.

“I didn’t want to leave my family; it’s fun playing for the Braves,” he said. “Hopefully I can come back next year or whatever’s in the future for me. It’s really tough to leave the team that I grew up watching. This decision is much harder than leaving the Reds, honestly. Just being around the family and stuff like that. So my family made this decision for me. I’m going to go out there and do what I’ve been doing. My dream is to get a ring and that’s what I have a chance to really do now.”

Phillips had a partial no-trade clause that included 12 teams, one of which was the Angels. The three-time former All-Star second baseman had to approve any trade to any team on the list, and he did just before the midnight deadline for teams to acquire players if they’re to be eligible for postseason rosters.

“The Angels called us today about Brandon,” Braves general manager John Coppolella said. “We didn’t call them. We felt obligated to share this with Brandon because it means a chance to go to the playoffs and a trade assignment bonus.”

The Angels agreed to pay the $500,000 assignment bonus that Phillips had negotiated into his contract when he agreed to the trade from the Reds to the Braves.

The Reds were responsible for $13 million of Phillips’ $14 million salary this season in the final year of his contract. He’ll be a free agent this winter and Coppolella said the Braves “will strongly consider” him as an option this winter.

The Braves will use the last month of the season to further evaluate rookies Johan Camargo and Rio Ruiz at third base, the position Phillips had played since being supplanted at second base at the beginning of August when the Braves called up second-base prospect Ozzie Albies

http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/...-minor-league-catcher/ucOUDEJXucMno1SZdMGVFO/

Braves traded Phillips to angels last night. Another step towards future but I think Albies, Camargo, Ruiz production will be less than what Phillips contribution would have been. Just hoping 2018 season is better but still not optimistic.
Revolving door with little to show for it.

Football is here and the Braves are irrelevant ... as manifest in the nearly empty stadium today against Texas.

It's empty today because it's Wednesday at 2:00. The record doesn't help, but the main reason is the time.

Not so .... other early Wednesday games have had much better crowds.
Constant chatter from announcers about the optimism going into next year with all the young players ... and they should continue to improve. But if one of those young players is Matt wisler i will temper my enthusiasm. Five runs and a passel of doubles in two innings.

Last edited:
Not so .... other early Wednesday games have had much better crowds.

Haha, that's not even remotely true. The last few months have had no Wednesday afternoon games, all evening starts with attendance in the 20,000s. Try again. In fact, I just checked every Wednesday game and we only had one day game and that was against the Cubs.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I was anticipating the record for this year to be around this, maybe a bit better. But what has really concerned me is the pitching. Whenever a young guy has been brought up, he is getting hammered and having command issues. Teheran has been great on the road and awful at home. Got the win last night, but last I checked had 5 walks and the ball was crushed when in play. I get the feeling McDowell should have stayed or at least this new guy, Hernandez, should go.

I was anticipating the record for this year to be around this, maybe a bit better. But what has really concerned me is the pitching. Whenever a young guy has been brought up, he is getting hammered and having command issues. Teheran has been great on the road and awful at home. Got the win last night, but last I checked had 5 walks and the ball was crushed when in play. I get the feeling McDowell should have stayed or at least this new guy, Hernandez, should go.

I would have to look at the stats but not sure any pitcher has shown improvement this season and suspect the entire lot is worse. Dickey may be the exception but probably the least likely to be exposed to coaching.

Haha, that's not even remotely true. The last few months have had no Wednesday afternoon games, all evening starts with attendance in the 20,000s. Try again. In fact, I just checked every Wednesday game and we only had one day game and that was against the Cubs.
Less than 1000 in attendance for the first game yesterday ....AJC article speculates -- since actual attendance is no longer announced -- that that may be the worst attendance since the Braves moved to Atlanta in 1966.

Less than 1000 in attendance for the first game yesterday ....AJC article speculates -- since actual attendance is no longer announced -- that that may be the worst attendance since the Braves moved to Atlanta in 1966.

I agree, it was an awful crowd, I'm just arguing that your statement was wrong concerning multiple games. Most crowds have been in the 20,000s, including the nightcap.

I agree, it was an awful crowd, I'm just arguing that your statement was wrong concerning multiple games. Most crowds have been in the 20,000s, including the nightcap.
You were quite correct ... the early start games were mostly away games.

And to be fair, the afternoon game was rescheduled from the night before's rainout. Most ticket holder prolly couldn't get back for a day game the next day.

Nice come back win ... like watching Albies play ...Miami now 1-10 in last eleven games!

Last edited by a moderator:
Two straight over the Nads. :D

66 :)
78 :(

Was really hoping for no worse than an 80-80 season this year.......

Like the play of some of the younger guys of late. May be some reason for a little optimism going into next year.

Sort of said the same thing this year. I think they are still lacking a bullpen completely. Also need an ace pitcher. Julio is a 2 guy now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT