ADVERTISEMENT

Braves - 2022

Better get after it early today. Forecast is looking wet.

So if the game ends here, does Max get credit for a no-no? 😁

Yes he does, but it's called a 5 inning no-hitter; but my fear, is the rain will stop, they'll resume play and let him continue on the mound, doing
a disservice to his arm. 🤞🤞🤞

• Wow
Reactions: NoleLizards
Yes he does, but it's called a 5 inning no-hitter; but my fear, is the rain will stop, they'll resume play and let him continue on the mound, doing
a disservice to his arm. 🤞🤞🤞
Here we go...

The pen should be well rested at least. Braves are within one of the Mets if they can finish it out.

Win this one and the Braves are down to one game behind the Mets, who lost to the Nats again by a 7-1 score. Getting very interesting indeed!

Within a game! Hopefully they handle it better than the last time they got this close.

This could be the night the Braves catch the Mets! They're about to lose to Pittsburgh. Have Wright going against the A's starting in a few.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Kyle doesn't have it tonight, unfortunately. Gonna have to put a lot of runs on the board to get the W.

Reactions: JonScott
Wright was awful … going to have to score 15+ to win this game. Dylan Lee gives up a three run homer. Sheesh!

• Wow
Kyle doesn't have it tonight, unfortunately. Gonna have to put a lot of runs on the board to get the W.
He was just off …. He’d been pitching so well that when the Braves went up 6-1 I thought the game was effectively over. The good news … Jansen looked good in the ninth.

Today could be a fun day. The stinkin' Mets play two at Pitt starting at 12:35p and the Braves start at 3:35p. They could be sniffing 1st place later today!

As well as the Mets have played this season, their current three-game losing streak to Washington and Pittsburgh - and being outscored 22-4 over that stretch - comes as a surprise.

Last edited:
As well as the Mets have played this season, their current three-game losing streak to Washington and Pittsburg - and being outscored 22-4 over that stretch - comes as a surprise.
Their usual "June swoon" just came a little later this year.

Reactions: seminoleed
Nope. Not only Ed.
707bdfdd80b8e49acc573aaefa39bf43.gif

That was an impressive outing for Strider. For a rookie to find his bearings and overcome a poor first inning to pitch five strong innings and pick up his 10th win … outstanding.

Any word on Soroka's return?? Can't find anything specific.

Definitely, advantage Mets.

The Mets’ remaining schedule includes: The Marlins (five games), Cubs (three games), Pirates (four games), Brewers (three games), A’s (three games), Braves (three games) and Nationals (three games).

The Braves’ remaining schedule includes: The Mariners (three games), Giants (three games), Phillies (seven games), Nationals (six games), Mets (three games) and Marlins (three games).

I like the first three, especially the new rule regarding the shift. Not sure what to make of #4.

New rules for MLB:

The shift

The new rule: At the time a pitch is thrown, there will need to be four infielders on the dirt and two on each side of second base. Players will be able to move as soon as the ball leaves the pitcher's hand.

Pitch clock

The new rule: Pitchers will have 15 seconds to throw a pitch with the bases empty and 20 seconds with a runner on base. Hitters will need to be in the batter's box with eight seconds on the pitch clock.

Pickoffs

The new rule: Pickoffs are now considered one version of "disengagements," which consist of any time that the pitcher makes a pickoff attempt, fakes a pickoff, or steps off the rubber, as well as when the defense requests time. Pitchers are allowed two disengagements per plate appearance without penalty.

Bigger bases

The new rule: Bases will be increased from 15 inches to 18 inches. ... The increase in the size of the bases should reduce injuries around them while increasing stolen base attempts.

A Braves sidenote on the pitch clock rule: According to Brooksgate, the Braves’ Kenley Jansen averages 29.8 seconds – that’s a shot-clock violation in the NBA – between deliveries. He’s third-slowest among MLB pitchers.

How the heck does a larger base reduce injuries? I was unaware the current base causes injuries. :rolleyes:
I can see increasing stolen bases but injuries has me puzzled too. Thumb injuries occur on going face forward on hand swipes and you don't see that many knee injuries from sliding foot first so who knows. Side note: Will Muschamp was apparently an elite RB and baseball player in high school. While playing baseball in the spring he slide into second and tore he knee so bad he never ran the same again. They ended up moving him to a DB in college. Maybe they are putting a little more space between the 1st baseman and the runner but you don't see collisions too often there either? I'm at loss at that reasoning.

I can see increasing stolen bases but injuries has me puzzled too. Thumb injuries occur on going face forward on hand swipes and you don't see that many knee injuries from sliding foot first so who knows. Side note: Will Muschamp was apparently an elite RB and baseball player in high school. While playing baseball in the spring he slide into second and tore he knee so bad he never ran the same again. They ended up moving him to a DB in college. Maybe they are putting a little more space between the 1st baseman and the runner but you don't see collisions too often there either? I'm at loss at that reasoning.
I think it's referring to reducing injuries at first base primarily. A larger base there would theoretically reduce the number of injuries where a player's foot gets spiked when the pitcher is racing the base runner to the bag to get the throw on a ground ball to the right side.

Reactions: SoddyNole
main-qimg-6187341c4e41454e4ea18ffb4f1a4f93-lq

—Ty “Spikes Up” Cobb—had the rep for sliding into a base spikes up. Cobb was known to sharpen his spikes

Mets loy. Braves up two zip in the first. If Atlanta wins, they're alone in first place!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT