ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Braves 2023

Great timing to lose two starters. But in the first round, you only need three starters. Already reminds me of last year when Fried got sick and Strider had an oblique issue. Short series have always scared me and are a crap shoot. You run into two hot pitchers and it could be lights out and the season is gone and meaningless. Like the warden at Shawshank said, "Gone like a fart in the wind." Just be careful not to be caught downwind. That can't be good. :) Acuna MVP and the Braves World Champions once again? Is Cool "Hand" Luke (L) the only other source of a lefty in the bullpen other than Minter? Hand has been very shaky. Lee is out. Hope that doesn't come back to bite us. These next six games should be played with the intensity of the playoffs. Can't afford to get flat after a great year. That one week break after the season doesn't help intensity wise.

What a bizarre finish to last night's game ... Suzuki just flat out misses what is a rather routine fly ball to right in the 8th allowing what turned out to be the winning run to score. ... Another one of those games where that Atlanta seemed to sleep walk through the first six innings. ... Anyone else concerned about Bryce Elder's pitching of late?

Last edited:
I'm actually concerned about ALL their pitching lately.
At least we know that the Braves can't do any worse in the postseason than they did last year. That said, given the recent pitching issues, it unfortunately is seeming more and more likely that Atlanta will suffer the same fate against the fillies in the division series this time around.

They have stated a few times Wright is going to be a bullpen guy. They could go

1. Fried
2. Strider
3. Bullpen Game/Elder
4.Fried
5. Strider

At this point you are better off with Winans, Vines or maybe even Smith-Shawver starting.

1. Fried
2. Strider
3. Bullpen Game/Elder
4.Fried
5. Strider

At this point you are better off with Winans, Vines or maybe even Smith-Shawver starting.
Vines is slated to start tonight. Hopefully he shows out.

1. Fried
2. Strider
3. Bullpen Game/Elder
4.Fried
5. Strider

I thought I heard during one of the game telecasts last week that Shuster was coming back up. If so, he's another option.

Mark Bradley, AJC:

The Braves fall behind the Cubs 6-0. Bryce Elder, who figures to start Game 3 of the Division Series in Charlie Morton's absence, yields five runs in 3-1/3 innings. Over his past three starts, his ERA is 9.49. Last season's NLDS – against the Phillies, who could well be the Braves' opponent again – turned in Game 3. It was on the road, as this Game 3 will be. Spencer Strider didn't last three innings. Twenty-four hours later, the Braves were gone.

Even if the LDS rotation is reduced to Strider, Max Fried and a couple of openers, the Braves can make do. They won a World Series after Morton's leg was broken in Game 1. The titular starting pitchers in Games 4 and 5 that year were Dylan Lee and Tucker Davidson. Lee lasted one-third of an inning on a night the Braves won; Davidson lasted two-plus innings on a night the Braves couldn't hold a 4-0 lead. Kyle Wright relieved Lee in Game 4 and worked the 4-2/3 innings that changed the World Series. He could see relief duty again.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Mark Bradley, AJC:

The Braves fall behind the Cubs 6-0. Bryce Elder, who figures to start Game 3 of the Division Series in Charlie Morton's absence, yields five runs in 3-1/3 innings. Over his past three starts, his ERA is 9.49. Last season's NLDS – against the Phillies, who could well be the Braves' opponent again – turned in Game 3. It was on the road, as this Game 3 will be. Spencer Strider didn't last three innings. Twenty-four hours later, the Braves were gone.

Even if the LDS rotation is reduced to Strider, Max Fried and a couple of openers, the Braves can make do. They won a World Series after Morton's leg was broken in Game 1. The titular starting pitchers in Games 4 and 5 that year were Dylan Lee and Tucker Davidson. Lee lasted one-third of an inning on a night the Braves won; Davidson lasted two-plus innings on a night the Braves couldn't hold a 4-0 lead. Kyle Wright relieved Lee in Game 4 and worked the 4-2/3 innings that changed the World Series. He could see relief duty again.
Typical Mark Bradley pablum. Translation of the above: But look at that Kentucky Wildcat football team.

Acunamania!

tina-turner-simply-the-best.gif

I don't think that umpire crew will get any postseason assignments.
If you are not paying attention to the batter with no other action going on, what are you doing as a field ump? Or should I say umps because you have 3 out there. Were they all looking in the stands? Isn't that kind of dangerous with batters hitting balls over 110 mph? How can the plate ump not see or hear the foul ball? It wasn't like this was a nick. The trajectory of the ball clearly changed and the only time they replayed the audio there was a clear sound as it hit the bat. Sports will always have controversial close calls. This wasn't one of them. It was pure ineptness of the entire crew. I can see why Snitker was in such disbelief. Imaging spending your entire life in baseball with all the experience he has and watching that circus act unfold.

Well, the Braves have clinched everything there is to clinch, but there's still a couple of things to watch for tonight... One, Winans gets his shot to audition for the postseason roster. Two, the Braves are still three behind the 2019 Twins for the single season MLB home run record.

Reactions: CC0492 and DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT