ADVERTISEMENT

Daylight savings

Conditions that are linked to our circadian rhythm that could be improved by not having to constantly fight our body's internal clock:

Obesity
Cardiovascular disease
Diabetes
Shorter life span
Depression
ADHD
Insomnia
Lack of productivity
Lack of alertness
Sense of well being

... and more! Stuck to one standard time and we could positively affect the health of a whole lot of people.

Not sure why you jumped to that. The question remains why exacerbate these problems unnecessarily?
Besides, leaving your time zone and returning to it (say you took a vacation) doesn't result in a constant disruption to our body's internal clock.

Reactions: Random_John
Conditions that are linked to our circadian rhythm that could be improved by not having to constantly fight our body's internal clock:

Obesity
Cardiovascular disease
Diabetes
Shorter life span
Depression
ADHD
Insomnia
Lack of productivity
Lack of alertness
Sense of well being

... and more! Stuck to one standard time and we could positively affect the health of a whole lot of people.

Well, that clears that up.

Lots of softness out there…..
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible. Yellow, black. Yellow, black. Yellow, black. Yellow, black. Ooh, black and yellow! Let's shake it up a little. Barry! Breakfast is ready! Ooming! Hang on a second. Hello? - Barry? - Adam? - Oan you believe this is happening? - I can't. I'll pick you up. Looking sharp. Use the stairs. Your father paid good money for those. Sorry. I'm excited. Here's the graduate. We're very proud of you, son. A perfect report card, all B's. Very proud. Ma! I got a thing going here. - You got lint on your fuzz. - Ow! That's me! - Wave to us! We'll be in row 118,000. - Bye! Barry, I told you, stop flying in the house! - Hey, Adam. - Hey, Barry. - Is that fuzz gel? - A little. Special day, graduation. Never thought I'd make it. Three days grade school, three days high school. Those were awkward. Three days college. I'm glad I took a day and hitchhiked around the hive. You did come back different. - Hi, Barry. - Artie, growing a mustache? Looks good. - Hear about Frankie? - Yeah. - You going to the funeral? - No, I'm not going. Everybody knows, sting someone, you die. Don't waste it on a squirrel. Such a hothead. I guess he could have just gotten out of the way. I love this incorporating an amusement park into our day. That's why we don't need vacations. Boy, quite a bit of pomp... under the circumstances. - Well, Adam, today we are men. - We are!

I enjoy DSL because I like the longer evenings in the summer.
But if you don’t care for it then set your clocks/watches to remain on standard time and live by that.
I disagree because to me it is not about preference as much as it is about ending an archaic policy that makes little if any sense. Especially when it can do good for a whole lot of people.

You're right. Low blow of me huh? But that's what happens when bad trolls make the board less enjoyable for everyone else.
There is like 20 of us that regularly even post in the LR. We know pretty much each other's leanings. (except FSUfool, he is dude that surprises me all the time). It doesn't have to be so damn serious. We can disagree with each other without getting so offended. I kind of look at the LR as a group of neighbors. I think they were poking you a little bit, and you got serious quick. You seem like you are too smart for that

DLS time is a sophisticated human device when you consider that the calendar and clock use a base 12 system because that is the number of finger joints the opposing thumb can touch.

I don't see the issue with it. Its an hour and you tend to adjust fairly quickly if you really need to adjust at all. I've read studies where they say its related to increased obesity, diabetes and other issues. Not sure I buy into all that as one hour isn't going to have a lasting impact on things easily controlled with a good diet. I like goldmom's idea. If its that much of an issue just don't adjust your clocks. Personally I like it as it gives a seasonality to things.

My question is, what is the benefit these days to actually keeping DST?

Quick research showed it was originally instituted during WW1 and then went away. WW2 came along and so, DST came back. I guess, the powers that be felt we would be in constant WW's from there on out and just left it.

Quick Story on DST History

My question is, what is the benefit these days to actually keeping DST?

Quick research showed it was originally instituted during WW1 and then went away. WW2 came along and so, DST came back. I guess, the powers that be felt we would be in constant WW's from there on out and just left it.

Quick Story on DST History
Has roots way back to Ben Franklin but was official in the US in 1918.

Not sure it really has any usefulness in regards to its purpose originally but I do like the longer evenings in the summer.

We lived in Dallas for many years, which is pretty far west in the Central time zone. It didn’t get dark until after 9 PM which we appreciated because we could take the kids to the school playground which had elaborate play structures they loved.

It was simply too hot to go out during the daytime and temps stayed into the 90’s very late. The DST seemed to made it possible to get outside. It was not uncommon to see groups of people out walking or jogging in the evenings at 9:30-10 o’clock when the temps finally got below 95. It was that or early in the AM. 🥵

We lived in Dallas for many years, which is pretty far west in the Central time zone. It didn’t get dark until after 9 PM which we appreciated because we could take the kids to the school playground which had elaborate play structures they loved.

It was simply too hot to go out during the daytime and temps stayed into the 90’s very late. The DST seemed to made it possible to get outside. It was not uncommon to see groups of people out walking or jogging in the evenings at 9:30-10 o’clock when the temps finally got below 95. It was that or early in the AM. 🥵
Riveting news to share. Thank you. :cool:
J.R.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT