ADVERTISEMENT

Do you know anyone who is racist?

I apologize Goldie, You are correct that racism is all over. That is a fair pushback. Racism is all over the US. It just takes different forms.

We're all tribal to some degree, and race is one of the things that pushes heavily in tribalism. Anyone who says they are colorblind is simply blind to their own biases and tendencies to segregate good and bad as a result. I try to advocate very loudly for anti-racist work, but I have to constantly be mindful of my own implicit biases and recognize that I'm still racist at times myself. And when I recognize it, I have to intentionally do work to try to counter my own biases until it becomes more natural to walk and talk another way.

And of course other races and nationalities experience that as well. The difference comes down to power vacuums. Racism from people of color towards whites is not going to have the same ability and tendency to harm and marginalize since they don't occupy the power systems to put that in place, whereas racism from white people is more heavily felt since we primarily occupy the majority of the systemic decision making points in America.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Yeah, I wouldn’t limit it to the South. You can find racism around the world. Europe is just as bad (or worse) as the US can be.

So much of it is what we teach our kids and the behaviors we ourselves exhibit. I really believe time will fix most of the problem, with a few unfortunate interruptions here and there.
I was told this story by a black guy years ago, not sure how accurate it is. So at the end of WWII when the US occupied Europe and primarily Germany white Soldiers where allowed to go out and would could hook up with German women. Obviously there was a shortage of German men. The black Soldiers where not allowed to do this due to segregation still in effect; this left the black Soldiers to either hang out with each other or as many did they would play with the children. Move on a generation or 2 and German women had a very poor opinion of white US guys since they would hook up with the German women, get them pregnant and then pop smoke for the US. Leaving these German women single mom's. As the kids and women got older they had the opinion of white US guys as jerks and since the black Soldiers played with the kids the German women had a fond memory of them. Who knows how accurate; but I can see it being true.

We all have implicit biases, racial and otherwise.
Yep, unavoidable. Have to be able to distinguish that from, say lending practices that don't allow a certain group to get a mortgage.

It's a darn slippery slope, as we're all finding out.

I apologize Goldie, You are correct that racism is all over. That is a fair pushback. Racism is all over the US. It just takes different forms.

We're all tribal to some degree, and race is one of the things that pushes heavily in tribalism. Anyone who says they are colorblind is simply blind to their own biases and tendencies to segregate good and bad as a result. I try to advocate very loudly for anti-racist work, but I have to constantly be mindful of my own implicit biases and recognize that I'm still racist at times myself. And when I recognize it, I have to intentionally do work to try to counter my own biases until it becomes more natural to walk and talk another way.

And of course other races and nationalities experience that as well. The difference comes down to power vacuums. Racism from people of color towards whites is not going to have the same ability and tendency to harm and marginalize since they don't occupy the power systems to put that in place, whereas racism from white people is more heavily felt since we primarily occupy the majority of the systemic decision-making points in America.
I went to a very mixed high school that is about 15 minutes from NYC. It is always amazing to me what I see posted by some of the kids I went to HS with that is outwardly racist, but it doesnt get the same amount of scrutiny because its made by blacks.
I agree with those who say time will fix a lot of these issues, with some bumps in the road.

Very much agree on the inaccuracy of racism being more prevalent in the south. I think that's assumed because of history of the region. But you'll find widespread bigotry north of the Mason Dixon line as well. Talk to my retired steelworker from Pittsburgh FIL or any of his friends and that will be confirmed.

Oh, 57 years old.
England is the most racist (ethinist) place I've ever been, with Egypt being a close second.

This was interesting.

imrs.php

By far the most racist country in the world is India.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ly-tolerant-countries/?utm_term=.20b11f04d17f

Pretty interesting map, what surprised me most was England and Pakistan, they flipped from what I expected.

Having known many people who did humanitarian work across Africa, the racism on parts of that continent is unbelievable and outrageously violent. Its barely covered by our media.

There are absolutely parts of the US that are more generally racist, but I’m sure its all gray to a degree.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe

And of course other races and nationalities experience that as well. The difference comes down to power vacuums. Racism from people of color towards whites is not going to have the same ability and tendency to harm and marginalize since they don't occupy the power systems to put that in place, whereas racism from white people is more heavily felt since we primarily occupy the majority of the systemic decision making points in America.
I have to disagree. Some people truly are colorblind when it comes to race. I know a few and am myself. However, being colorblind about race is seen as racist in itself by some. To many, it's not good to be colorblind.

Here is another one for you. I work with a black guy who has been very successful. Joined the Army as an enlisted guy, got his degree and retired as a captain in the signal corp. He is great at his job and probably the most qualified of anyone on our team. Last year when he joined us he was given the task of getting the active duty Captain signal officer in the unit we were working with up to speed. This captain was black but he was from Africa. They could not get along, through no fault of my buddy; the active duty captain would not listen to him; but if I said something he would listen. I could joke with the guy and we got along fine, my buddy and he just butted heads. My buddy and I were trying to figure it out. Was it intimidation, there was nothing my buddy could gain from helping this guy that would damage the active duty signal officer's career? Quite the opposite if he let my buddy help him he would have been viewed in a very positive light. Heck the LTC writing his eval will without a doubt be a 3 or 4 star General one day.
I am a SGM and my buddy a retired captain; was he just seeing me as someone with more respect deserved; I doubt it since my buddy is much smarter than me on most of the things we were working on.
Finally my buddy said he seen in the past and heard from his black friends whether military or not that black Africans had issues with black Americans. He said that it came down to black Africans thinking that black Americans were handed so much and got over; while black Africans had to do so much to be successful in America. I don't know; but found that theory interesting.

The better question is: what do you do when you find yourself in that situation? Do you laugh at the joke in the interest of avoiding a confrontation? Do you make your discomfort clear and scold them? Reactions vary, and some are no better than making the joke is.

If it's the first few times I always say something like, "come on dude, let's not go there." But if they continue I will eventually tell them, "do me a favor, please don't EVER use that word around me." And then if it continues, I just don't hang out with them any longer.

This was interesting.

imrs.php

By far the most racist country in the world is India.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ly-tolerant-countries/?utm_term=.20b11f04d17f

The caste system is still alive and well in India.

If you going to go to clan socials you are bound to hear stuff.

Last edited:
Sure do, and of all races...except for Asians, I don't personally know any racist Asians.

Japan might be the most racist nation in the world.
I was told this story by a black guy years ago, not sure how accurate it is. So at the end of WWII when the US occupied Europe and primarily Germany white Soldiers where allowed to go out and would could hook up with German women. Obviously there was a shortage of German men. The black Soldiers where not allowed to do this due to segregation still in effect; this left the black Soldiers to either hang out with each other or as many did they would play with the children. Move on a generation or 2 and German women had a very poor opinion of white US guys since they would hook up with the German women, get them pregnant and then pop smoke for the US. Leaving these German women single mom's. As the kids and women got older they had the opinion of white US guys as jerks and since the black Soldiers played with the kids the German women had a fond memory of them. Who knows how accurate; but I can see it being true.

tenor.gif

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Japan might be the most racist nation in the world.

tenor.gif
Not sure what that means, just trying to show that peoples view/opinion is likely skewed by their experiences. Personally I don't care, I judge you by how you act; but more importantly how you treat people regardless of their skin color, ability to help you, what they can do for you etc. If you are jack@@@ I don't really care what color your skin is, what country you come from or anything else. Your a jacka## regardless.

Not sure what that means, just trying to show that peoples view/opinion is likely skewed by their experiences. Personally I don't care, I judge you by how you act; but more importantly how you treat people regardless of their skin color, ability to help you, what they can do for you etc. If you are jack@@@ I don't really care what color your skin is, what country you come from or anything else. Your a jacka## regardless.
I'm guessing he just meant Heidi Klum agrees with you about black guys. Although she divorced Seal, and he's not African-American (British).

my buddy said he seen in the past and heard from his black friends whether military or not that black Africans had issues with black Americans. He said that it came down to black Africans thinking that black Americans were handed so much and got over; while black Africans had to do so much to be successful in America. I don't know; but found that theory interesting.

I’ve heard a similar sentiment from foreign FAMU interns over the years.
I’ve mainly distilled it to a different perspective on relative opportunity.

Stay classy.

Ding! Ding!
Dude you are reading things that are not written about you. My point to clarify is if you are a bad person I don't care what race, religion, creed or whatever you are. You are a Jack### or if that word offends you then you are a bad person and not worth my time. I wasn't speaking about you. Either my writing skills really suck or you are really sensitive.

I'm guessing he just meant Heidi Klum agrees with you about black guys. Although she divorced Seal, and he's not African-American (British).
If that id the case then cool. I don't get many of these meme's or whatever that are.

I have to disagree. Some people truly are colorblind when it comes to race. I know a few and am myself. However, being colorblind about race is seen as racist in itself by some. To many, it's not good to be colorblind.

No one is colorblind although we like to tell ourselves that story. I made those same claims up until I started to listen more, learn more about how decisions are made in our brains, and realize how many times I really wasn't. It's impossible to be colorblind, our limbic system simply doesn't allow it. Blame 100,000 years of human evolution if you must, but it's true of all of us.

Ive lived all over and Boston was way more racist than any place ive lived in the South, and it wasnt close.

Reactions: goldmom
No one is colorblind although we like to tell ourselves that story. I made those same claims up until I started to listen more, learn more about how decisions are made in our brains, and realize how many times I really wasn't. It's impossible to be colorblind, our limbic system simply doesn't allow it. Blame 100,000 years of human evolution if you must, but it's true of all of us.
Sorry, but you are wrong.

Racists that are proud of their hate and very overt about it; who think every non white is inferior - I know of a couple.

Racists who are biased, suspicious, and prejudiced against especially black people....but don’t think they are racist - I know far too many.

Reactions: FSU_UCLA
Why has no one posted this yet?

Don't think he is.
You don't have to, but it's pretty crazy to speak in absolutes when it comes to people. Whether you choose to believe or not I know people that actually can't care less about the color of someone's skin and I don't either. This bothers some, if not many people, but it is absolutely true.

I have a few theories on why some people can't accept that not everyone is racist, but I will keep them to myself.

Reactions: FSUBigALNoles#1
You don't have to, but it's pretty crazy to speak in absolutes when it comes to people. Whether you choose to believe or not I know people that actually can't care less about the color of someone's skin and I don't either. This bothers some, if not many people, but it is absolutely true.

I have a few theories on why some people can't accept that not everyone is racist, but I will keep them to myself.
But you're speaking in absolutes when you claim you are an exception to 99.99999% of people on the planet.

But you're speaking in absolutes when you claim you are an exception to 99.99999% of people on the planet.
That would be one of the 67.3% of statistics that are just made up.

Just because some people claim that everyone is racist doesn't make it a fact. It doesn't even make sense. It's a cop out.

Sorry, but you are wrong.
No, he is not. The evidence is clear and unequivocal. The human brain from birth develops, maintains, and constantly updates an awareness of differences. It is literally impossible for a human being to be "colorblind." There is simply no neurological mechanism that would allow for that possibility.

Regarding, the topic of the thread: I know people, therefore I know racists. I will certainly acknowledge my own racism against white men; it has been there since childhood, and I actively fight against it almost everyday. The most racist groups that I have ever encountered are the traditional, wealthy Armenian community and the traditional, wealthy Chinese community.

Funny story: I was talking with a couple of friends over the weekend who have mixed race children, and my partner shared that in her Vietnamese dialect, the language used for characterizing a person of white and Asian racial heritage roughly translates to "having been infected with whiteness."

No, he is not. The evidence is clear and unequivocal. The human brain from birth develops, maintains, and constantly updates an awareness of differences. It is literally impossible for a human being to be "colorblind." There is simply no neurological mechanism that would allow for that possibility.

Regarding, the topic of the thread: I know people, therefore I know racists. I will certainly acknowledge my own racism against white men; it has been there since childhood, and I actively fight against it almost everyday. The most racist groups that I have ever encountered are the traditional, wealthy Armenian community and the traditional, wealthy Chinese community.

Funny story: I was talking with a couple of friends over the weekend who have mixed race children, and my partner shared that in her Vietnamese dialect, the language used for characterizing a person of white and Asian racial heritage roughly translates to "having been infected with whiteness."
Think what you want, but you are wrong and there is no possible way for either of us to prove our side.

And again it's crazy to make such absolute statements. one can quite easily overlook the color of ones skin. Take this example for instance: Take an average middle class person from the suburbs and give them two paths, along one is a group of black people dressed like the Huxtables, and the other one has a group of Hells Angels. Which one do you think that surbanite would feel more comfortable with?

One can be aware of differences and not give a crap about skin color. One can judge each person on their own merit without regard to the amount of meletonin in their skin. That is fact. Sorry if that offends you.

Think what you want, but you are wrong and there is no possible way for either of us to prove our side.

And again it's crazy to make such absolute statements. one can quite easily overlook the color of ones skin. Take this example for instance: Take an average middle class person from the suburbs and give them two paths, along one is a group of black people dressed like the Huxtables, and the other one has a group of Hells Angels. Which one do you think that surbanite would feel more comfortable with?

One can be aware of differences and not give a crap about skin color. One can judge each person on their own merit without regard to the amount of meletonin in their skin. That is fact. Sorry if that offends you.

Of course it’s crazy.... it’s a semantics game.

Also, the definition of racism is very broad to the point of meaninglessness in some circles. Eg the human brain develops to notice differences ....Magic happens here, ergo, everyone is racist. It’s science.

Reactions: KitingHigh
ADVERTISEMENT