ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone here use Bitcoin?

Gonolz

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 6, 2002
Indian Rocks Beach
Some money is due to me and I have the opportunity to collect in Bitcoin.

Does anyone use this? How difficult is it to set up an account? Does it work well?

I am intrigued but the sketchy/uncertainty has always made me leery.

$100 in bitcoin from 7 years ago is work like $24million today.

So Gonolz is selling a) drugs, b) identities, c) young women, or d) all of the above, and needs a safe way to collect.

Like Randy says...

tenor.gif

I am intrigued but the sketchy/uncertainty has always made me leery.

$100 in bitcoin from 7 years ago is work like $24million today.
Will someone please explain this to me. Who pays you 24 million? How is worth determined?

I thought this was just as way for drug deals and money laundering.

Gonolz - You may want to hold off on your bitcoining. It lost about 13% of its value today.

"Bitcoin is plunging on Thursday. The cryptocurrency was trading down 12.9%, at $2,161 a coin, its lowest since the beginning of June. It's now off almost 40% from its high of $2,999.97, reached on Monday."

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-price-is-tumbling-2017-6

Hmmm. I seem to recall someone demanding I give a floor for Bitcoin a week ago and he seemed to scoff when I said 50% in the short term. Doesn't seem very far off at all.

And I even expressly mentioned there would be tampering even possible state actors in Bitcoin which also seems to have happened on Tuesday. It's like I'm frigging Nostradamus in here.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I seem to recall someone demanding I give a floor for Bitcoin a week ago and he seemed to scoff when I said 50% in the short term. Doesn't seem very far off at all.

Some context is in order.
"Lol, if you recall I was one of the naysayers in those Bitcoin and gold threads. I guess Im a frickin genius."
FSUTribe76, Aug 4, 2015

At that point the bitcoin price was ~$280.
It then went through more than a 10x increase in value relative to the dollar. Is that really what you consider genius prognostication? How much would it have to go up for you to feel just a little bit sheepish about being wrong? Not a demand, just a question.

I then asked you, about two years later as the currency was reversing some of that 10x gain you foretold (or not), "Tribe, what do you think will be the bottom next time bitcoin takes a serious leg down?"

I find it interesting you think the next floor is actually above the parabolic spike from just 6 months to your previous prognostications.

Do the actions by 'state actors' to reduce the purchasing power of the USD concern you?

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
Some money is due to me and I have the opportunity to collect in Bitcoin.

Does anyone use this? How difficult is it to set up an account? Does it work well?
it works fine; setting up a bitcoin wallet is easy

I'm currently in San Fran working on a cryptocurrency framework for an international coin exchange platform.

I put a few thousand into an account at coinbase in February, my thought being that it was a good way to diversify my portfolio. (I don't see bitcoin following stocks, bonds, real estate, etc.). I put most of the money into ethereum (which I had never heard of prior to opening the account). Somehow 3 months later I had made over $28,000. I sold everything but the original investment and bought a Florida prepaid college plan for my son. I'm looking forward to telling him how I paid for his college when he gets a bit older. And yes I've already opened an account at bitcoin.tax and intend on paying fully on the gains.

Since May I've been adding about $1k per month into accounts at coinbase, kraken, and bittrex and I'm trading in Bitcoin, litecoin, ethereum, z cash, ripple, dash, and probably a few more I can't remember. I've never had (and I'm sure I never will) have an investment that has paid off like this. I'm sure the crash will come at some point, but I live the diversification that cryptocurrency offers.

Anyone have any experience in trading bitcoin in an IRA to avoid paying taxes on gains?

Well the price of bitcoin the day you started this thread was $2,377. It is currently $8,219. Care to update us?

Yep...in fact, just called Lindsey and told him not to worry. I'll pay for entire all football activity center...got it covered. Jimbo is staying..

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Ran into a guy that moved into my neighborhood last night. Young guy, I'd say maybe 30. I'm considered young by the neighbors at 40. It is mostly made up of retirees, business owners, and executives from large companies. This guy had no problem letting me know he paid cash for his house. Then, he let me in on his "secret." He started investing in BitCoin year ago. His money was growing so he sold everything and put everything he had into it and into other crypto-currencies. He says he's made over a million each of the past 2 years. I have no idea if he has taken the money and run or if he is still heavily invested.

While he seems to have done well, it doesn't sound like he is very diversified. Oh yeah, he also had on a t-shirt that said "new money."

All of this sounds too good to be true. What's the "catch"?

All of this sounds too good to be true. What's the "catch"?

The catch is that it's too good to be true.

- completely driven by speculation
- tech is clunky
- requires a huge amount of power (bad for planet)
- security issues abound

Reactions: nynole1
I put 10k into a bitcoin arbitrage thing. I will either lose it all or make about 40k in 4 months. The technology is sound and gets average 1.29% return PER DAY, the only risk is that the people running it just take off with the money, lol.

It's gone through some crazy inflation lately but without any real system backing it up I wouldn't trust it. It's also had a number of times where it lost most of it's value in a single day. I just fail to see how a digital currency that is not only not backed up by any actual item, but also not backed up by any government agency can ever be trusted to have any real value.

It's gone through some crazy inflation lately but without any real system backing it up I wouldn't trust it. It's also had a number of times where it lost most of it's value in a single day. I just fail to see how a digital currency that is not only not backed up by any actual item, but also not backed up by any government agency can ever be trusted to have any real value.

I agree...but also would have never thought that technology in general would be what it is today.

Perhaps Bitcoin at some point fails. When and if it does, a different more improved version will soon appear, and so forth. At some point this will stick.

I agree...but also would have never thought that technology in general would be what it is today.

Perhaps Bitcoin at some point fails. When and if it does, a different more improved version will soon appear, and so forth. At some point this will stick.

It would be interesting to have a global currency that is not country specific, but it would need to be something that was rock solid and unable to be screwed around with by other countries.

It's gone through some crazy inflation lately but without any real system backing it up I wouldn't trust it.

It hasn’t gone through a significant inflation lately. And in reality its inflation has tempered since 2014. The code’s cap for bitcoin is 21 million, and somewhere over 16 million have already been created.
It’s important to not conflate inflation of a monetary pool with relative prices changes. The latter is a symptom of inflation, not the thing itself.

It's also had a number of times where it lost most of it's value in a single day.

I think you’d have to go back a ways in its history, to when the price was very small, to find it losing ‘most’ of its value in a day.
It definitely suffers price swings, but I find that mainly attributable to the relatively small pool of participants at this stage.

I just fail to see how a digital currency that is not only not backed up by any actual item, but also not backed up by any government agency can ever be trusted to have any real value.

That it is not inflatable by governments is why it was created and why it has trust.
Why trust a Federal Reserve currency system that is backed by nothing and has inflated away something on the order of 98% of the dollar’s value since their inception? Everyone spreading FUD on bitcoin never wants to address that. My question is, why have more faith in USD given its history and the history of political and monetary authorities?
Its value derives from scarcity and utility as a medium of exchange and store of value.

In case you’re wondering how modern inflation feeds the wealth gap:

“A little parable may prove useful: Today an ounce of gold sells for $300, more or less. Now suppose that a modern alchemist solves his subject's oldest problem by finding a way to produce unlimited amounts of new gold at essentially no cost. Moreover, his invention is widely publicized and scientifically verified, and he announces his intention to begin massive production of gold within days. What would happen to the price of gold? Presumably, the potentially unlimited supply of cheap gold would cause the market price of gold to plummet. Indeed, if the market for gold is to any degree efficient, the price of gold would collapse immediately after the announcement of the invention, before the alchemist had produced and marketed a single ounce of yellow metal.

What has this got to do with monetary policy? Like gold, U.S. dollars have value only to the extent that they are strictly limited in supply. But the U.S. government has a technology, called a printing press (or, today, its electronic equivalent), that allows it to produce as many U.S. dollars as it wishes at essentially no cost. By increasing the number of U.S. dollars in circulation, or even by credibly threatening to do so, the U.S. government can also reduce the value of a dollar in terms of goods and services, which is equivalent to raising the prices in dollars of those goods and services. We conclude that, under a paper-money system, a determined government can always generate higher spending and hence positive inflation.

Of course, the U.S. government is not going to print money and distribute it willy-nilly (although as we will see later, there are practical policies that approximate this behavior). Normally, money is injected into the economy through asset purchases by the Federal Reserve.” -Governor Ben S. Bernanke
Before the National Economists Club, Washington, D.C.
November 21, 2002

"We can guarantee cash payments from here on out, what we cannot guarantee is the purchasing power of that cash." -Alan Greenspan during remarks on Social Security, Feb 16, 2005

So for those of you who DO have cryptocurrency, who did you use? Coinbase?

Also found the notion of getting a ASIC chip and mining your own as interesting. Not for me to do, but interesting none the less.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT