ADVERTISEMENT

FSU softball returns core of lineup, seek growth (and transfers) in circle

Roster limit is 22 and we have that so not sure we can be that active in the portal.

There is not a roster limit at 22.
I thought in 2021 it was adopted that it was changed from 20 to 22
"Squad size increase. (1) Recommendation. That the squad size (i.e., players in uniform and eligible to compete) be increased from 20 to 22 with a corresponding increase to the travel party from 28 to 30. In addition, that teams be permitted to have up to an additional three student-athletes (for a total of 25) in uniform within the dugout limit. If teams use the full complement of 30 within the travel party, 22 of those individuals must be student-athletes eligible to compete. (2) Effective date. 2022 Championship. (3) Rationale. Reinforced by continual input from the NFCA over the last several years, an increase in the squad size from 20 to 22 will address significant participation growth in the sport. The growth is generated by both campus decisions to commit to larger roster sizes along with the increasing physical demands, especially for pitchers, which make it necessary for teams to increase their roster size. In the past, it was unusual for a team to have more than two pitchers; now most programs have three or more pitchers and are more likely to have specialization in position play, increasing the average squad size to over 20 (average is 21.9). As softball programs increase their rosters, the committee believes the championship squad size should also increase so that studentathletes who have been part of the squad all season may participate in the championship. Teams will still be allowed to bring up to 25 student-athletes to be within the dugout limit of 35. These additional up to three student-athletes will be allowed to be in uniform, but will not be eligible to enter the game and teams will have the ability to change the designated squad size (22) members from game to game even within the same regional, super regional or WCWS site.

Do you have a cite from the rules change other than this??

I thought in 2021 it was adopted that it was changed from 20 to 22
"Squad size increase. (1) Recommendation. That the squad size (i.e., players in uniform and eligible to compete) be increased from 20 to 22 with a corresponding increase to the travel party from 28 to 30. In addition, that teams be permitted to have up to an additional three student-athletes (for a total of 25) in uniform within the dugout limit. If teams use the full complement of 30 within the travel party, 22 of those individuals must be student-athletes eligible to compete. (2) Effective date. 2022 Championship. (3) Rationale. Reinforced by continual input from the NFCA over the last several years, an increase in the squad size from 20 to 22 will address significant participation growth in the sport. The growth is generated by both campus decisions to commit to larger roster sizes along with the increasing physical demands, especially for pitchers, which make it necessary for teams to increase their roster size. In the past, it was unusual for a team to have more than two pitchers; now most programs have three or more pitchers and are more likely to have specialization in position play, increasing the average squad size to over 20 (average is 21.9). As softball programs increase their rosters, the committee believes the championship squad size should also increase so that studentathletes who have been part of the squad all season may participate in the championship. Teams will still be allowed to bring up to 25 student-athletes to be within the dugout limit of 35. These additional up to three student-athletes will be allowed to be in uniform, but will not be eligible to enter the game and teams will have the ability to change the designated squad size (22) members from game to game even within the same regional, super regional or WCWS site.

Do you have a cite from the rules change other than this??
The part which reads they are able to bring 25 student athletes in the dugout is the give away, 22 can travel and are eligible for any given game, this however does not limit the total roster size. The team could have 30 on their roster if they choose to, but would have to designate their players before the game.

Reactions: SERecruit
The part which reads they are able to bring 25 student athletes in the dugout is the give away, 22 can travel and are eligible for any given game, this however does not limit the total roster size. The team could have 30 on their roster if they choose to, but would have to designate their players before the game.
Well. I am no compliance officer but all players must be approved and determined to be eligible. The way I read this your fixed roster number is 22 players (same for travel) . You can have up to 25 available in the home game dugout but 3 of those are just window dressing (redshirts maybe). In any case no portal player is coming here to sit in our dugout and none of the incoming 6 are going to redshirt in my mind. So unless we lose someone via portal or whatever our roster appears fixed.

Well. I am no compliance officer but all players must be approved and determined to be eligible. The way I read this your fixed roster number is 22 players (same for travel) . You can have up to 25 available in the home game dugout but 3 of those are just window dressing (redshirts maybe). In any case no portal player is coming here to sit in our dugout and none of the incoming 6 are going to redshirt in my mind. So unless we lose someone via portal or whatever our roster appears fixed.
You don't know what you don't know, not your fault.

And there are players who aren't coming back you are unaware of.
Thus the reason for my comment that we would need some attrition - I would not care to guess. All I know is we appear to need some portal help in the circle.

I asked around at FSU. The NCAA sets the Women's CWS roster limit at 22. But you can bring a 23rd in the dugout at OKC, for example. That 23rd just couldn't play.

I asked around at FSU. The NCAA sets the Women's CWS roster limit at 22. But you can bring a 23rd in the dugout at OKC, for example. That 23rd just couldn't play.
The question remains- Is there a roster limit in softball or not. It appears to me there is (22) . You confirmed CWS is 22. I believe it is 22 period--and you are allowed up to 25 in the regular season to be in the dugout dressed (but the 3 extra can not play--maybe redshirts). Is this true or not.

There is no roster limit, they could have as many as they want on roster, can only play 22 and those could be rotated

Reactions: SERecruit
Checked in with some contacts at FSU and NCAA: There is no roster limit. The number 22 is the maximum eligible to compete in the NCAA Tournament (regional, Super, WCWS). A 23rd or 24th player, etc., can be in the dugout for the NCAA Tournament.

Checked in with some contacts at FSU and NCAA: There is no roster limit. The number 22 is the maximum eligible to compete in the NCAA Tournament (regional, Super, WCWS). A 23rd or 24th player, etc., can be in the dugout for the NCAA Tournament.
Thank You

Yup, been trying to tell them....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT