ADVERTISEMENT

Heading to San Antonio

Pimpanolie

Seminole Insider
Nov 19, 2001
Going to a Willie Nelson concert in March and have never been to San Antonio, been on my list of places to check out for a while now. Anybody have suggestions of must see's and things to do touristy and non touristy local type of stuff? Going to be there Friday night and leaving Tuesday morning.

Man that would be at least a 130 mile tunnel. Business must be booooming!

Mexican and BBQ. Taqueria Mexico on the south side (Somerset) is top notch. For BBQ Rudy's is good for chain stuff but if you want the real thing head out of town to New Braunfels, Luling or Lockhart for the good stuff. Shilo's deli in downtown is good German food. Chester's burgers are all over and all pretty good. Surprisingly there are good sushi and Indian places all over as well.

The riverwalk is ok if you like cheesy touristy stuff but for old school Texas type stuff head out to Gruene or Lukenbach or just take a drive up 281 to the hill country. Market Square in town is nice too.

Going to a Willie Nelson concert in March and have never been to San Antonio, been on my list of places to check out for a while now. Anybody have suggestions of must see's and things to do touristy and non touristy local type of stuff? Going to be there Friday night and leaving Tuesday morning.
Where is the concert? Spicewood or Canyon Lake?

Mexican and BBQ. Taqueria Mexico on the south side (Somerset) is top notch. For BBQ Rudy's is good for chain stuff but if you want the real thing head out of town to New Braunfels, Luling or Lockhart for the good stuff. Shilo's deli in downtown is good German food. Chester's burgers are all over and all pretty good. Surprisingly there are good sushi and Indian places all over as well.

The riverwalk is ok if you like cheesy touristy stuff but for old school Texas type stuff head out to Gruene or Lukenbach or just take a drive up 281 to the hill country. Market Square in town is nice too.
I didn't want to load him up with out of town stuff as I figured he is just there for a day or two.

I didn't want to load him up with out of town stuff as I figured he is just there for a day or two.
I was thinking that as I typed. couldn't think of a good BBQ place in town. Pinkertons by Embassy Suites probably. Oh yeah Reese Bros by the tower is pretty good too.

Reactions: Pimpanolie
Where is the concert? Spicewood or Canyon Lake?
The Majestic Theatre, we had a choice between that and New Braunfels Whitewater Amphitheater. We are not shy to venture out of the city and see cool non touristy stuff. Thanks for all the info much appreciated!

The Majestic Theatre, we had a choice between that and New Braunfels Whitewater Amphitheater. We are not shy to venture out of the city and see cool non touristy stuff. Thanks for all the info much appreciated!
Both are good choices. I saw him at Whitewater and Gruene Hall. Both good shows.

Saw him a few times in Austin when I was stationed there in the late 70's. The beer flowed freely at his concerts. Got to see him at the Armadillo before that closed.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeddyLee09

If you have three free hours during daylight hours (these places aren't open late; they tend to close when they run out of meat), I highly recommended road tripping to Luling City Market for ribs and sausage (and sweet mix), then 12 more miles to Kreuz's in Lockhart for brisket and pork chop and sides if you insist on them. It is good stuff

Just got an email this morning that the concert has been cancelled. Good thing we already have our flights. 😂

Most any Mexican place there will be better than what youll get elsewhere.
Heck just go through the Mercado. A lot of the authentic Mexican restaurants in that area have goat on their barbacoa menu. It doesn’t get the attention Dallas and Houston do but it’s a huge city. And the Riverwalk is beautiful IMO.

Reactions: Pimpanolie
Just got an email this morning that the concert has been cancelled. Good thing we already have our flights. 😂
Well in March you want to rent a car and get out a bit because it’ll be bluebonnet season. Google bluebonnet trails for the local FM roads north and west - just spectacular and my favorite time of year in TX.

Heck just go through the Mercado. A lot of the authentic Mexican restaurants in that area have goat on their barbacoa menu. It doesn’t get the attention Dallas and Houston do but it’s a huge city. And the Riverwalk is beautiful IMO.
Cabrito!

Reactions: goldmom
Really depends on if you have a car.

Sticking about downtown:

Southtown is really fun and a ton of bars and restaurants to go to.

Rosarios is a solid Mexican spot
Friendly Spot is a outdoor beer garden that has a ton of beer selections outdoor sitting and music.
Hot joy is a Asian fusion type restaurant that has great cocktails.
I know someone made a snarky comment about Italian but Battalion is a cool old Fire house that has pretty solid Italian.
Blue Star Art district down the street actually on the river walk that has a few breweries and coffee shops.
Pinkertons mentioned is very good BBQ.
The Pearl is fun as well. Industrial feel.
La Gloria is a local chain that is good.
Supper is a good dinner spot
Cured has charcuterie. Great cheese and dried meats along with cocktails.
Hotel Emma has a good bar in it. It’s a very beautiful building.

While you're there, take a road trip to Mexico and tell Andy and Red we all said Hello.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT