ADVERTISEMENT

I'm about to move to Gainesville

seminole817

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2005
There was a thread on this a few weeks ago I think. I found a place to live. Where are some places to hang out and watch football, etc? I had never been there before a couple of weeks ago. I went to Mother's Pub and that seemed ok. The area looks shady though. Does anyone have any suggestions? BTW I'm a little north of 30 years old so I'm not really looking for a place littered with undergrads all the time. TIA.

There's a cool place at the corner of Thatsucks and Betteryouthanme.

Seriously though, Ts and Ps.

Thanks. I was looking at places online but I didn't want to do move sight unseen. I was looking at a place in "downtown" and when I saw it in person....It appears that what I've heard about Gainesville is true.

It's either the undergrads or the toothless locals. RIP your social life

I think I saw a few toothless locals. The bar/food were fine but wow there were some loud jackasses in there. Every other word an F bomb. I'm not a prude at all but these 3-4 people were obnoxious as hell. Give me the undergrads over that.

for watching football & hanging out I might suggest your living room. Greatly lessens your risk of infection.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Some good options top watch games:

- World of Beer located in Town of Tioga

- The local booster group meets at Splitz to watch games together. Look for them on Facebook.

- Chomps

- Red onion bar and grill

Oh, and welcome to Gainesville. It sounds like we are in the same age demographic. Shoot me an email when you get to town. First round is on me. agilecody at gmail

Some good options top watch games:

- World of Beer located in Town of Tioga

- The local booster group meets at Splitz to watch games together. Look for them on Facebook.

- Chomps

- Red onion bar and grill

Oh, and welcome to Gainesville. It sounds like we are in the same age demographic. Shoot me an email when you get to town. First round is on me. agilecody at gmail

Thanks.

I watch games at home. But, there are some good bars.

first magnitude
The bull
Whiskey house
Looseys
House of beer
Boca fiesta (restaurant/bar)
The top (restaurant/bar)
Five bar (restaurant/bar)

Good beer store:
Tippples

As far as the singles scene, I am married but there is high concentration of graduate students, medical students, post dos, faculty, physicians, etc. average education level in the city is high. That doesn't seem so bad.

I'm not into the bar scene but the Top seems like a popular place for locals. We went to Satchel's for pizza the last time I was in town; that place is awesome. People rave about LaTienda for Mexican, but we prefer Las Maragritas. The sushi at Dragonfly is legit.

Gainesville peeps - we should plan a get together the next time I'm in town.

La fiesta best Mexican....relatives of the one in Tally....foods is great...wed $1 tacos....

Amelia's for italian
Mark's for steaks.
Don't go to bars...never know where a Hernandez is hanging out, armed and dangerous.

I haven't been to Amelia's, but Manuel's Vintage Room downtown is great for Italian, especially when Manuel himself is there.

My in-laws live in Gainesville, so I spend a decent amount of time there.

A lot of how you perceive Gainesville will be based upon where you are coming there from. With a name like @seminole817, I assume that you may be coming from Fort Worth or have lived there in the past. If your coming directly from Texas, expect massive culture shock. However, if you were coming from a place like Ocala, then Gainesville would be an improvement.

Outside of Gainesville being Gator focused, it really isn't that much worse than Tallahassee. Those that think Tallahassee is an oasis while Gainesville is a dump are severely misguided.

Because you are only going to be there for a year, I think your experience will mostly likely be fine.

Oh I agree with that Demo Nole. I've got family there & yes there are some really nice spots nature wise. If the town wasn't befouled by orange & blue everywhere you look it would be half tolerable. Take away the partisanship from the two towns & they are more alike then different.

Reactions: Democratic Nole

A lot of how you perceive Gainesville will be based upon where you are coming there from. With a name like @seminole817, I assume that you may be coming from Fort Worth or have lived there in the past. If your coming directly from Texas, expect massive culture shock. However, if you were coming from a place like Ocala, then Gainesville would be an improvement.

Outside of Gainesville being Gator focused, it really isn't that much worse than Tallahassee. Those that think Tallahassee is an oasis while Gainesville is a dump are severely misguided.

Because you are only going to be there for a year, I think your experience will mostly likely be fine.

I'm from Ft Worth and have lived in Oxford MS for the last 3 years. So I've lived in the south for a bit (I had some pretty good options for schools in Texas so I didn't go to FSU). Gainesville is a lot different than the other places I've lived. I'm not worried about it at all. Just wanted some recommendations. But I'm glad I took a trip down there instead of just picking a place off the internet. I mat a couple of people there that had some thoughts on where not to live. Thanks for all the responses.

Why in he**, did you lose a bet?

They have a strong tax program I am enrolling in. UF was a much less expensive option than NYU or Georgetown and has a much better reputation than the Texas programs.

A lot of how you perceive Gainesville will be based upon where you are coming there from. With a name like @seminole817, I assume that you may be coming from Fort Worth or have lived there in the past. If your coming directly from Texas, expect massive culture shock. However, if you were coming from a place like Ocala, then Gainesville would be an improvement"

Yes. Most of my life has been in Miami and Chicago. I've lived in Gainesville for 7 years now. It was a difficult transition initially. But, it's not bad. It's a college town. The cost of living is low. The schools are good (I have a child). The weather is mostly fine. It's Florida. It is a couple of hours from some decent destinations.

There is a bit of a start up culture here which adds some interest. There seems to be a good bit of development here business wise lately. I've found it a relatively pleasant existence. It's not particularly novel meaning I think you could achieve the same in any number of college towns. If I could move my current job/people to another place, there are many I would favor over Gainesville (nothing really having to do with the gator/Seminole issue. Tallahassee is not one of them. To me, that's a similar experience. Austin would be very high on my list. But the market there is starting to over heat.

Bandit - did you here that the founder of Grooveshark was found dead in his bed yesterday?

Gainesville is the question?

af67796aab2721c77021c18e22e217ab613c649f4631ae303fe176132a30f6b0.jpg

My parents have lived in Gainesville since the late 80s, I moved to Tallahassee in 1996 - the two cities are drastically different (to me). I wouldn't call Gainesville a dump and Tallahassee an oasis. My biggest issue with Gainesville was how segregated the communities were away from the university. I had 2 groups of kids I would play basketball with - the white country club kids at their private schools or country clubs and the black kids literally on the other side of the track and never the two shall meet.

Gainesville was easily the most racist place I'd ever lived. Active KKK rallies at the mall and several at various places scattered throughout Alachua.

I guess Tallahassee having a HBC made a big impression on the history of Leon county and black people that stuck around were scattered all around Tallahassee. In Gainesville, it just wasn't like that.

A big positive for me in regards to Tallahassee is that there's a lot of things to do away from the campus, seems like every time I went out in Gainesville, we were always going to the campus. Granted, all of this was back in the late 80s to mid to late 90s.

I played basketball a lot here. And, there was a good racial mix in that regard. I played a good bit with black high school and college aged kids (I'm in my 40s). I haven't noticed race issues here. Though my general cohort is PhDs and mds

I played basketball a lot here. And, there was a good racial mix in that regard. I played a good bit with black high school and college aged kids (I'm in my 40s). I haven't noticed race issues here. Though my general cohort is PhDs and mds
I grew up in Alachua County at the same time as Rhino and it was, by far, the most racially balanced experience of my life. I believe Rhino is African American, so he may have had a different experience/perspective.

I don't doubt rhino's experience. I'd imagine that the local/yocal east side Waldo crowd runs redneck. I am just conveying my recent Gainesville experience. I've noticed a bit of racism from cops but it was a limited situation and I kind of get it though don't condone it. I lived in an apartment complex for a time that had an indoor basketball court. I played basketball nightly there for the better part of two years. Local black kids would trespass and play games there all evening. I loved it because it made the games great. But at times the cops would show up and break it up. You'd get a predictable scatter. I moved to a house but I still had friends that lived at the apt complex so I still played basketball there periodically. One night the cops showed up and did the usual scatter. Black kids were running in all directions. I stood around and kind of calmly was walking out. The cops assumed I lived there.

What Seminole Fans Think Gainesville Looks Like

63980caf3566b363a61c1e318e61916d.jpg

What Gator Fans think Gainesville Looks Like

14421629669_2cbbd9f786_b.jpg

What Gainesville Actually Looks Like

Shantytown-Constructed-In-007.jpg

This would have been in the early 90s. I attended a camp at a Christian Private school (camp was 90% white kids) and met a bunch of kids but I also attended a camp at a high school (99% black kids). After camp we would stay in the nearby area to play hoops, I'd try to get the groups to meet up and neither side wanted to "cross the tracks".

I did a summer camp at a Racquet Club off of Millhoper Rd. Was at a friends house nearby, we rode to the camp and they had signs posted that all activities were cancelled. Went back called my mom and she drove back there to find out why "ma'am we have a Klan rally today so we're cancelling all club events." My mom pulled me out that day.

The Oaks Mall used to have a kiosk inside w/ a couple of guys handing out neo-Nazi or KKK fliers (this was the first year there, so late 80s).

My parents also hang out w/ PhDs (he's a doctor) and all of those groups of people were normal people. Long time family friends (some of which were around when I was born 36 years ago) and that was really my exposure to the 2 sides of the track.

Gainesville has rapidly grown since I left for college and it definitely feels infinitely better than it did back then.

I grew up in Alachua County at the same time as Rhino and it was, by far, the most racially balanced experience of my life. I believe Rhino is African American, so he may have had a different experience/perspective.

There were a lot of great people there, white and black, poor and rich. It was a massive culture shock to me coming from culturally diverse and mixed areas in San Francisco and Seattle. Now Enamclaw and White River WA are the most racist places I've ever been to but Gainesville was one of the scariest places I've lived (mostly due to the KKK rallies).

The Hare Krishnas were terrifying too.

LOL. Actually, that's the part of town where I grew up (not Waldo, but close).

Used to go to the Waldo Flea Market a lot. There was a guy who sold a ton of comic books that I would spend all my cash at, great collection.

My parents have lived in Gainesville since the late 80s, I moved to Tallahassee in 1996 - the two cities are drastically different (to me). I wouldn't call Gainesville a dump and Tallahassee an oasis. My biggest issue with Gainesville was how segregated the communities were away from the university. I had 2 groups of kids I would play basketball with - the white country club kids at their private schools or country clubs and the black kids literally on the other side of the track and never the two shall meet.

Gainesville was easily the most racist place I'd ever lived. Active KKK rallies at the mall and several at various places scattered throughout Alachua.

I guess Tallahassee having a HBC made a big impression on the history of Leon county and black people that stuck around were scattered all around Tallahassee. In Gainesville, it just wasn't like that.

A big positive for me in regards to Tallahassee is that there's a lot of things to do away from the campus, seems like every time I went out in Gainesville, we were always going to the campus. Granted, all of this was back in the late 80s to mid to late 90s.
That's a load of bull right there. I've lived in Gainesville for twenty years and that is definitely not the case. Now if you're talking about the 1,000 kids that live in Haile Plantation, go to Oak Hall or St Patrick's and WANT to be segregated then yeah, I'll give you that. But if your kids go to public schools, which mine do, it is not the case at all.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish race baiting all the time?

That's a load of bull right there. I've lived in Gainesville for twenty years and that is definitely not the case. Now if you're talking about the 1,000 kids that live in Haile Plantation, go to Oak Hall or St Patrick's and WANT to be segregated then yeah, I'll give you that. But if your kids go to public schools, which mine do, it is not the case at all.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish race baiting all the time?

I mean I could act all crazy like you ammmiright?

I guess I imagined the KKK rallies.

What am doing isn't race baiting, Gainesville was racist.

I mean I could act all crazy like you ammmiright?

I guess I imagined the KKK rallies.

What am doing isn't race baiting, Gainesville was racist.

Well in my 20+ years here I've never seen it and how am I acting crazy?

"That's a load of bull right there. I've lived in Gainesville for twenty years and that is definitely not the case. Now if you're talking about the 1,000 kids that live in Haile Plantation, go to Oak Hall or St Patrick's and WANT to be segregated then yeah, I'll give you that. But if your kids go to public schools, which mine do, it is not the case at all.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish race baiting all the time?"

I don't think Rhino race baits. That's kind of a BS criticism in my opinion. In any case, yes, the public schools, even the highly rate ones, are quite diverse. I've looked this up. My son is 3 so we haven't attacked that yet. But, he's at "baby gator" (shudder) and, even there, there is a lot of diversity (to the point, I think, at least in his class, he's one of only a few white, American born children). The fact that your kids are at diverse student body schools doesn't negate the fact that communities around Gainesville are stereotypical poor Southern towns. As I do have some clinical contact with the local population, I can say, amongst that group, I have encountered more racism (N word spewing, back woods, types) than I have anywhere else I have lived. But, this is the closest I have ever lived to a poor Southern population. I lived in affluent areas in Miami, Boca Raton, and Chicago. Thus, I am not surprised at all that this is the case regarding local communities around Gainesville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT