ADVERTISEMENT

LR parents: How can I fix my abusive 3 year old nephew ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's odd to me that the mother wouldn't be more concerned with her totally defenseless infant receiving blows to the face and head. I only have twins, so there's no older/younger dynamic at play, but when they were really small and one (always the same one) would be aggressive (biting) it made me feel absolutely horrible for the victimized one. If he was much younger and smaller like in the op's situation, it would be even worse. Maybe mom needs a knee to the face so she can empathize with her own child better. Do it, Lurker.

It's odd to me that the mother wouldn't be more concerned with her totally defenseless infant receiving blows to the face and head. I only have twins, so there's no older/younger dynamic at play, but when they were really small and one (always the same one) would be aggressive (biting) it made me feel absolutely horrible for the victimized one. If he was much younger and smaller like in the op's situation, it would be even worse. Maybe mom needs a knee to the face so she can empathize with her own child better. Do it, Lurker.

I couldn't agree more. I think many Mothers tend to rationalize bad behavior because it makes them feel better.

I had an older brother who was deeply disturbed and died of a drug overdose last year and my Mother made excuses and enabled him for 20+ years.

I imagine it could have something to do with guilt about giving birth to a horrible child.

I imagine it could have something to do with guilt about giving birth to a horrible child.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Lurker1999
Better asinine than actually harmful like your predictable posts.

Man, you literally recommended hitting a 3yo to show him that he is weaker and smaller and giving him CBD over taking him to a doctor...
Did I say hit? People like you are the reason why kids are so messed up today...

Yes, your kid has to fear you or else they'll grow up to be a criminal. :rolleyes:
That's absurd. Little swats on the ass have been an effective way of molding behavior for ages. All of a sudden we need to send them to a psychologist and cram pills down their throats. Brilliant...

That's absurd. Little swats on the ass have been an effective way of molding behavior for ages. All of a sudden we need to send them to a psychologist and cram pills down their throats. Brilliant...

You posted earlier that kids should know there's always someone bigger and stronger (the parents, in this case). That's ruling by fear.

Reactions: FSU_UCLA
You posted earlier that kids should know there's always someone bigger and stronger (the parents, in this case). That's ruling by fear.
It's the parent's role set boundries. I never said anything about abusing the kid or making him fear you. But if you have a kid that is litterally punching its sibling IN THE FACE, then yes, that is a message that clearly needs to be transmitted by the parent, not a shrink...

Did I say hit? People like you are the reason why kids are so messed up today...
You said "spank," which is, by definition, hitting. And by "people like me," you mean healthcare professionals? Because every major association of healthcare providers, from the American Psychological Association and the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry to the American Academy of Pediatrics have explicitly, formally, and unequivocally condemned spanking as both ineffective and potentially harmful.

Last edited:
You said "spank," which is, by definition, hitting. And by "people like me," you mean healthcare professionals? Because every major association of healthcare providers, from the American Psychological Association (http://www.apa.org/about/policy/corporal-punishment.aspx) and the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (https://www.aacap.org/aacap/Policy_Statements/2012/Policy_Statement_on_Corporal_Punishment.aspx) to the American Academy of Pediatrics (https://www.healthychildren.org/Eng...discipline/Pages/Where-We-Stand-Spanking.aspx) have explicitly, formally, and unequivocally condemned spanking as both ineffective and potentially harmful.
You know the difference...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the parent's role set boundries. I never said anything about abusing the kid or making him fear you. But if you have a kid that is litterally punching its sibling IN THE FACE, then yes, that is a message that clearly needs to be transmitted by the parent, not a shrink...

You may not have said it, but it seems clearly implied. Here is the summary of the conversation.

Brian - Can I do anything to stop this?
gold mom - Spanking/corporal responses won't be the answer-
cmanole - Wrong. People of all ages need to know there is always somebody bigger and stronger than them. I'm not saying you need to beat or abuse the kid but it sounds to me the kid has probably never had a spanking...

What exactly what did you mean by "People of all ages need to know there is always somebody bigger and stronger than them" ?

Simple question for you, what do you think the reaction by a 3yo is if someone who is bigger and stronger is leveraging that on them in a physical way?

And to be clear, you are the one who brought in the punching in face etc, so that escalation by you aside.

No I didn't. This is literally part of the OP.

"My niece crawls around a lot and when she comes up to my nephew he will sometimes punch or knee her in the face. I assume this happens often."

If you have a kid that is hitting and kicking its helpless sibling in the face it needs disipline. I'm not saying you go Ray Rice on the kid but you damn sure pop his ass. Guaranteed to stop that behavior long before some stranger smoking a pipe handing it a lollipop can...

No I didn't. This is literally part of the OP.

"My niece crawls around a lot and when she comes up to my nephew he will sometimes punch or knee her in the face. I assume this happens often."

If you have a kid that is hitting and kicking its helpless sibling in the face it needs disipline. I'm not saying you go Ray Rice on the kid but you damn sure pop his ass. Guaranteed to stop that behavior long before some stranger smoking a pipe handing it a lollipop can...

Okay, thats fair, you are correct. Question still hasn't been answered which was the main point you didn't address.

Simple question for you, what do you think the reaction by a 3yo is if someone who is bigger and stronger is leveraging their strength and size on them in a physical way?

Okay, thats fair, you are correct. Question still hasn't been answered which was the main point you didn't address.

Simple question for you, what do you think the reaction by a 3yo is if someone who is bigger and stronger is leveraging their strength and size on them in a physical way?
Did you eve comprehend what I wrote? You're not leveraging anything, you're being a parent. I'm really worried about you...

Did you eve comprehend what I wrote? You're not leveraging anything, you're being a parent. I'm really worried about you...

Stop trying to mince words to avoid answering. What do you think the impact is on a 3 yo of an adult letting him " know there is always somebody bigger and stronger than them" ?

Stop trying to mince words to avoid answering. What do you think the impact is on a 3 yo of an adult letting him " know there is always somebody bigger and stronger than them" ?
Are you trying to tell me what to do? I've said all I'm going to say. It that's not enough for you find a safe place...

Are you trying to tell me what to do? I've said all I'm going to say. It that's not enough for you find a safe place...

No I am not trying to tell you what to do. I am asking you to stop mincing words and deflecting. Just asking you a simple question to clarify something you said. Just to clear it up for those of us who didn't follow. This is my safe place to avoid what I should be doing, which is accounting homework.

What do you think the impact is on a 3 yo when an adult lets him " know there is always somebody bigger and stronger than them" ?

Hell, why not. A three year old doesn't think like a 13 year old. I think if a three year old gets spanked after punching its sister in the face it will think, hey I better not do that again...

Psychologists do not prescribe medication.
I know. I was talking about two different things denoted by 'and' as opposed to 'who'. And I'm not anti doctor, I just think other more holistic options should be considered first...

Hell, why not. A three year old doesn't think like a 13 year old. I think if a three year old gets spanked after punching its sister in the face it will think, hey I better not do that again...

13 yo has nothing to do with this. We are only discussing a 3yo.

If a full grown adult is approaches a 3 yo and shows (in any number of ways) the very small person that the adult has superior size and strength, what emotional reaction do you think a child will have?

13 yo has nothing to do with this. We are only discussing a 3yo.

If a full grown adult is approaches a 3 yo and shows (in any number of ways) the very small person that the adult has superior size and strength, what emotional reaction do you think a child will have?
I answered your question. Why are y'all calling me out anyway? OP was asking parents opinions so I gave him mine. I don't have any further desire to debate our differences of opinion. Why don't you tell us about your kids?

Last edited by a moderator:
You called me out and insulted me personally, not the other way around. You called me “asinine,” then said that I am reason that kids are messed up, and then called me an “ass.” Now you want to feign innocence? Come on...

Jesus snowflake, I answered your question. Why are y'all calling me out anyway? OP was asking parents opinions so I gave him mine. I don't have any further desire to debate our differences of opinion. Why don't you tell us about your kids?

So that made me laugh, thanks. I am anything but a "snowflake".
Im not calling you out for you opinion, only calling you out to get to the bottom of your statement " People of all ages need to know there is always somebody bigger and stronger than them" ?" as it applied to a 3 yo, which you never answered the question about the emotional reaction you expect to illicit. You only said the kid would think "hey I better not do that again..." . Thats cause and effect, doesn't address the clear/concise question I asked about using size and strength, which I can only assume for fear and intimidation, because again, you haven't answered. And I already replied above about why I am still responding.

I've talked about my kids a number of times before, but it doesn't apply here because I don't use my size and strength to get an emotional reaction from them or other people. So I disagree with your premise about using that tactic with adults much less why you think that is appropriate to do so with an toddler. Other than my opinion on that specific topic, I haven't even stated my opinion on the OPs question.

That is the answer. I can't help it if you don't like it or if it doesn't answer your questions...

You called me out and insulted me personally, not the other way around. You called me “asinine,” then said that I am reason that kids are messed up, and then called me an “ass.” Now you want to feign innocence? Come on...
Anytime I post anything about something you're involved in you call me out on my opinion. My responses to you are measured by your levels of condescension. You don't like them, quit calling me out...

Anytime I post anything about something you're involved in you call me out on my opinion. My responses to you are measured by your levels of condescension. You don't like them, quit calling me out...
I didn’t call you out. Regardless, I am fine with your responses. I just think it’s ridiculous that you’re now whining about your opinions being challenged. If you don’t want me to challenge your opinions, then stop posting harmful, inaccurate statements about healthcare.

You know, DFS responded to one of my posts and we went back and forth on it and that was it. No butthurt. You on the other hand feel that you always have to be right and that your opinion is the right opinion and others have to cater to your all knowing superiority. Don't work like that. Sorry...

You’re right, it doesn’t work like that. You’re projecting a bunch of nonsense onto me that only exists in your head. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT