ADVERTISEMENT

LR parents: How can I fix my abusive 3 year old nephew ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, professional help is out there. My daughter works with these issues daily. Training the parents to properly handle behavioral problems is a big part of what she does.
Message boards are not the place to find the answer.

Wait - you are telling me that I can’t solve difficult behavioral or inter-personal issues from the same place where I bitch about FSU’s offensive line or get tips on where to eat in Ocala? You must be fooling

Again, professional help is out there. My daughter works with these issues daily. Training the parents to properly handle behavioral problems is a big part of what she does.
Message boards are not the place to find the answer.

What professional help did your daughter recommend? I'll tell my sister to get it.

TIA.

I feel like the bigger question comes down to is it nature or nurture? Does he have a mental disability or a chemical imbalance? Is he learning something at home that makes him feel this behavior is ok? Do mom and dad fight in front of him? etc.

This is definitely a "nature" issue, IMO. His parent's rarely fight. His Dad is literally a saint and a great Father.

My nephew was fussy as soon as he came out of the womb.

Reactions: Random_John
What is going on in the atmosphere of the home? Any past/current trauma for anybody? Are the parenting skills consistent? Find professional help!

Reactions: goldmom
What professional help did your daughter recommend? I'll tell my sister to get it.

TIA.
She can't legally reccomend treatment without first meeting the child and assessing the situation first hand. Have your sister contact her insurance company and ask about coverage for behavioral therapy. They can then put her in contact with providers in her area.

Reactions: Lurker1999
What is going on in the atmosphere of the home? Any past/current trauma for anybody? Are the parenting skills consistent? Find professional help!

I think the atmosphere of the home is great but I can't know for sure because I'm not there every day. He also has a babysitter but she was highly recommended and supposedly he loves her. I think this kid was just born different.

My Mom says he is fussier than all four of her kids combined were.

Update! I sent my sister and her husband (no pics) this text:

"Just an idea for "Timmy." You guys could call your insurance company and they can recommend some behavorial experts around here that can help with some behaviors like hitting.

Just an idea. Thanks :)"

Sister replies: "Are you serious??? You're way out of line!"

(I half expected this.)

I text: "Yes. I think it could help with some of his behaviors that are not good, like hitting his sister."

Husband replied: "I think it's a fair point."

Sister replies: "Brian I know - you are looking out for them and I do appreciate it."

(I half expected her to completely change her mind within minutes.)

I text: "Thanks. It's not my business but I'm glad I suggested it because it could help. Ttyl."

I'm really glad I suggested it. Now the ball is in their court. I feel compelled to protect kids, even if I will suffer consequences for doing so.

Thanks for all the advice!

Reactions: 12Nole
latest

"Just an idea for "Timmy." You guys could call your insurance company and they can recommend some behavorial experts around here that can help with some behaviors like hitting.

(I half expected this.)

I text: "Yes. I think it could help with some of his behaviors that are not good, like hitting his sister."

Sister replies: "Brian I know - you are looking out for them and I do appreciate it."

I text: "Thanks. It's not my business but I'm glad I suggested it because it could help. Ttyl."

I'm really glad I suggested it. Now the ball is in their court. I feel compelled to protect kids, even if I will suffer consequences for doing so.

I am reading a personality book and it states that starting from the age of six, a child's dominat functions start to pull ahead of the pack and patterns of behavior come clearer. I don't suggest letting his behavior continue without stepping in but it could just be a stage he is going through. Age six to twelve is key to a child's behavioral development.

Book - Nature by Nuture: Understand Your Child's Personality Type and Become a Better Parent (Uncle :D)

My 3 yo is constantly messing with our 1yo. Matter of fact he’s in time-out now for pinching him. I’m cluesless how to make it stop all together.

I’m just trying to keep an attitude of the glass is half full and hope that out little one grows up to be a tough sob!

Just put him in the time out corner and play “ we are the boys from old Florida” over and over till he promises to stop!

My 3 yo is constantly messing with our 1yo. Matter of fact he’s in time-out now for pinching him. I’m cluesless how to make it stop all together.

I’m just trying to keep an attitude of the glass is half full and hope that out little one grows up to be a tough sob!

Try to praise the 3 year old when he's acting compassionately. Reward the good behavior.

(I half expected this.)

Ahhh...DFS suggested it. You just took notes and regurgitated it.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
One of those mini FSU helmets would probably fit the baby. Would at least mitigate the damage to her, and maybe the boy would break a finger on it and think twice the next time.

As far as being violent towards a sibling that needs to get fixed or just gets worse and grows into other things.

You mean like a negative political ad campaign?

So glad my kids have minor issues so far. And they are way worse for us that others. Guess Ill take it.

You mean like a negative political ad campaign?

So glad my kids have minor issues so far. And they are way worse for us that others. Guess Ill take it.
I guess not sure how the negative political ad campaign thing plays into it?

Spanking/corporal responses won't be the answer-
How does Mom handle it? You've not mentioned her -

Wrong. People of all ages need to know there is always somebody bigger and stronger than them. I'm not saying you need to beat or abuse the kid but it sounds to me the kid has probably never had a spanking...

Probably not a good idea to give that to a 3 year old without seeing a doctor first.

Why, so the doctor and give him psych meds and keep him on them for life? CBD is a natural substance that has many proven benefits. Why not try this first if it doesn't help then see the doctors...

Or, you could do as I suggested and try therapy instead of introducing anything foreign to the child.

I agree with therapy but CBD is hardly foreign. It's a naturally occurring substance that has been used for centuries...

It may be a naturally occurring substance but it is not natural to the human body.
There actually is an endocannabinoid system within the human body that uses endogenous cannabinoids to regulate various functions like appetite and pain perception. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannabinoid_system)

I still don’t think people should be telling folks to give 3yo children CBD oil while attempting to scare them away from mental health professionals.

We also should not be suggesting that spanking is anything other than a harmful intervention.

There actually is an endocannabinoid system within the human body that uses endogenous cannabinoids to regulate various functions like appetite and pain perception. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannabinoid_system)

I still don’t think people should be telling folks to give 3yo children CBD oil while attempting to scare them away from mental health professionals.

We also should not be suggesting that spanking is anything other than a harmful intervention.

What should I do to protect my niece?

My sister just sent me a text and said she was talking to her friends and they claimed that "pushing" is completely normal for a 3 year old.

I responded that "pushing is normal but punching or kneeing in the face is not."

My sister is setting herself up to be the typical enabling Mother of a troubled child.

If you have any advice on how I can solve this problem, I sure would appreciate it.

You can't solve this problem. If you feel like your niece needs protecting, then you should call DCFS/CPS. Otherwise, you can encourage your sister to take your nephew to a child psychologist.

You can't solve this problem. If you feel like your niece needs protecting, then you should call DCFS/CPS. Otherwise, you can encourage your sister to take your nephew to a child psychologist.

I agree with your advice.

I hate the world.

Can you recommend any specific type of child psychologist that I can recommend to her? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT