ADVERTISEMENT

Mariota

Here's the real question, Is he a better than ZM & was he worth the money? I came in late & Missed his first drive but looked real good after that. Granted, it is ATL

Last edited:
He struggled when lining up under center and did well when in the shot gun. Regardless of whether it's his first NFL game or not, that does not speak well of his progress so far in camp.

How did he struggle? He had 2 bad plays in his first game. I think you guys are making way too much of it, I really do. There have been guys who have looked great in preseason, and terrible when it starts for real, and vice versa. He showed he can make NFL throws, and he showed composure. I think it would be easy for a young kid to fold after two consecutive drives that end in TOs in his first outing. He didnt, he came back and made 3 passes of 17 yards or more on his final drive. It is preseason football, everyone, including veteran pro bowlers make mistakes while kicking the dust off.

The hate is SO strong in this thread.

He's gonna be ok. He made some really good throws in his FIRST NFL preseason game.

agreed Mariotta will be really good I bet. too much hate. Now Tebow.... that is going to be fun. He already got beat out by dirty Sanchez. lol

I don't think anybody here wants him to fail. The problem is that we know what kind of special player Jameis is. The fact that Mariota has been placed on his level based on the medias hatred of Jameis is disturbing. One guy is clearly the better QB. Mariota is a fast QB that achieved college success in a type of system that has produced nothing but underachievers in the NFL. It's a slap in Winstons face that Mariota was considered his equal. The world will find out soon enough who the elite QB is and always has been.

And I think you are going out of your way to support him. You want to minimize and excuse his errors. Not sure why.

One, I am a Titans fan, so obviously I hope he succeeds. Second, this is the 2nd thread on this board about him talking about how bad he looks, when he doesnt look bad. I think you guys are trying to create a Winston-Mariota rivalry that doesnt, and will never exist. They played against each other once in college, and after week 1 of this season wont matchup again until 2019, unless they are in a SB against each other, or if one is on a different team, which I dont see happening.

I also dont know what I am minimizing. I said he probably shouldnt have thrown the screen, and that he should have stepped up in the pocket on the fumble. How is that minimizing either? YOu said he looked bad from under center, even though he had no issues from under center.

And I will minimize anyone's success or mistakes this early in their career. I will be interested to see how consistent you guys are if Jameis struggles though. Will you be consistent? I will be. I will tell you right now I dont think preseason, or really even their entire rookie year means much. Again, Mariota was 7-8 for 94 yards and you guys are acting like he was horrible. Keep in mind, Peyton Manning threw 28 INTs his rookie year, worked out pretty well yes? Andrew Luck was sacked 44 times his rookie year, many his fault because he didnt have the feel of the NFL pocket yet. Seems to have worked out for him too. Yet after one preseason game, where Mariota was 7-8 with one INT, you guys are acting like there is major cause for concern. There isnt any cause for concern right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: NolaNole9
Will never understand why some Nole fans want him to fail. Seems...well, flat out mean-spirited. Speaks volumes.
Simple physics, equal and opposite force. The more people out there that love Mariota and call Jameis and crab legs stealing rapist, the more people here are going to push back.

Other than be the starting quaterback on a team that beat us, what has the kid ever did to us? I don't get the hate. I actually hope he does well. I hope Jameis beats him but I wish the kid nothing but success. But, that's just me.

Reactions: NolaNole9
I don't think anybody here wants him to fail. The problem is that we know what kind of special player Jameis is. The fact that Mariota has been placed on his level based on the medias hatred of Jameis is disturbing. One guy is clearly the better QB. Mariota is a fast QB that achieved college success in a type of system that has produced nothing but underachievers in the NFL. It's a slap in Winstons face that Mariota was considered his equal. The world will find out soon enough who the elite QB is and always has been.

What do he and Jameis have to do with each other? They played once in college, and after week 1 of this year, they wont play again until 2019. Both could go on to have long HOF careers, and they might only play each other 4 times. THere is no Winston-Mariota rivarly. And no, one guy is not clearly the better QB. Neither has taken a snap in a regular season game, one hasnt even taken a snap in an NFL preseason game. We have absolutely no idea how good either of these guys will be at this point.

He's a project. A project they took with the 2nd pick.

Yup.

I would not be happy if I was a Tenn fan. He is a huge gamble in my opinion and he will probably be forced to play his first season.

Here's the real question, Is he a better than ZM & was he worth the money? I came in late & Missed his first drive but looked real good after that. Granted, it is ATL

No and no. That's part of the problem he's never going to separate himself and Zack is more use to a pro style. The fact that they wasted the 2nd and that Philly was willing to trade 5 picks to move up will show how big of a mistake this was.

Yup.

I would not be happy if I was a Tenn fan. He is a huge gamble in my opinion and he will probably be forced to play his first season.

I am a Tennessee fan and I couldnt be happier. Vince Young and Jake Locker I was lukewarm with, but I couldnt more more excited about Mariota. Could I be wrong? Yes. But I think the kid is going to be good.

No and no. That's part of the problem he's never going to separate himself and Zack is more use to a pro style. The fact that they wasted the 2nd and that Philly was willing to trade 5 picks to move up will show how big of a mistake this was.

What has Zach proven? I do think Zach has potential, but that even makes me more confident in Mariota, because they wouldnt have taken him if they didnt believe in him. Plus, Zach has an NFL skillset, but keep in mind, he came from a one read system as well. And Zach started 7 games last year, and didnt win one, and his stats were not impressive.

Simple physics, equal and opposite force. The more people out there that love Mariota and call Jameis and crab legs stealing rapist, the more people here are going to push back.

What does any of that have to do with Marcus? Marcus isnt saying stuff about Jameis, so who cares?

I am a Tennessee fan and I couldnt be happier. Vince Young and Jake Locker I was lukewarm with, but I couldnt more more excited about Mariota. Could I be wrong? Yes. But I think the kid is going to be good.

I think the kid can be good but IMO he needs to sit for at least a season. Maybe two.

Getting throw into action to get knocked around and have his confidence shot happens all too often with rookie qbs.

I think the kid can be good but IMO he needs to sit for at least a season. Maybe two.

Getting throw into action to get knocked around and have his confidence shot happens all too often with rookie qbs.

That is the thing, his attitude is exactly why he should get thrown in. Vince had a fragile ego, and couldnt handle booing or people questioning him. Locker I think could, but he just couldnt stay on the field. Mariota is as calm as it gets, and that is a good thing. Keep in mind, he completed 7-8 passes tonight for 94 yards. The league leader last year in YPC was the Browns, at 13.7. Mariota averaged 13.4 tonight, but unlike the Browns, he completed almost 90% of his passes. Yes, it was preseason, yes, he had a pick and a fumble. But nothing he did tonight proved he cannot play in the NFL from day one.

So he threw the pick and then went 7 for 7 the next drive? I didn't watch. But I think he could be a decent qb. I understand the hatred but it should be directed at the media not Marcus. He's a good kid, just like Jameis. They're both good kids. Jameis is clearly better though. ;)

I think there are def question marks though after this game. He threw a pick on the first drive. Fumbled on the second drive. And then went 7 for 7 out of the shotgun against 2nd and 3rd teamers. Idk. Not really impressive. Without the 7 for 7 though it would've been a disaster. So he reached down and got it...even if against lesser competition.

So he threw the pick and then went 7 for 7 the next drive? I didn't watch. But I think he could be a decent qb. I understand the hatred but it should be directed at the media not Marcus. He's a good kid, just like Jameis. They're both good kids. Jameis is clearly better though. ;)

I think there are def question marks though after this game. He threw a pick on the first drive. Fumbled on the second drive. And then went 7 for 7 out of the shotgun against 2nd and 3rd teamers. Idk. Not really impressive. Without the 7 for 7 though it would've been a disaster. So he reached down and got it...even if against lesser competition.

He looked great, he has supposedly looked great most of camp. He had two bad plays, which both were things a rookie QB will make. What he did show, is that he can make any throw on the field and read defenses. One of his completions on the last drive was a 3-15, but he made 17 yard completion where Harry Douglas sat down between the zone, and split the zone because of his arm strength and threw a bullet. Kid has every physical tool, and I honestly think (with mistakes in the short term), has the mental ability to be a really good QB.

A person could also read what you just wrote and think he had one good play and two devastating plays. The thing is we don't know. I mean if Aaron Rogers threw a pick and then fumbled, no one would be all nervous he's going to suck. He deserves time to make mistakes but I'm not sure how you can crown him a good NFL qb yet after that.

A person could also read what you just wrote and think he had one good play and two devastating plays. The thing is we don't know. I mean if Aaron Rogers threw a pick and then fumbled, no one would be all nervous he's going to suck. He deserves time to make mistakes but I'm not sure how you can crown him a good NFL qb yet after that.

I havent crowned him anything. I said I "think" he will be a good QB, but I also said I might be wrong. Your whole post should be directed to the people who thinks he is terrible, not me. But, funny you bring up Rodgers. Mariota's scouting report read a lot like Rodgers, and Rodgers fell to the late first round. Rodgers had some years to sit, which Mariota wont, but Rodgers is honestly the closest scouting comparison to Mariota, and I am good with that.

I also dont get why you think it was 1 good play and 2 devastating. He completed 7-8 passes, 3 of the 7 were for 17 yards or more (and only one, the wheel to the RB had any YAC).

That was the only good pass you mentioned. I just saw some replays. It was hard to get a feel for the game though.

I'm directing it at you because I'm personally not sold on him. I don't care if he succeeds or not though. I think he's on a bad team. So that won't help.

Speaking of comparisons to Rodgers, Tampa bays center did just that...saying Jameis reminds him of Aaron. I guess the difference between his comparison and yours is he actually plays in the NFL and was Aaron's starting center for 4 years.

That was the only good pass you mentioned. I just saw some replays. It was hard to get a feel for the game though.

I'm directing it at you because I'm personally not sold on him. I don't care if he succeeds or not though. I think he's on a bad team. So that won't help.

Speaking of comparisons to Rodgers, Tampa bays center did just that...saying Jameis reminds him of Aaron. I guess the difference between his comparison and yours is he actually plays in the NFL and was Aaron's starting center for 4 years.

I am fine you arent sold on him, I dont care. I am a Titans fan, and could careless about Winston. And I am not comparing him to Rodgers, I didnt write the scouting reports, scouts did. But Rodgers was passed over for Alex Smith, with a lot of the same shotgun issues and what not that Mariota is questioned with. I am good with that. It might take a few years yes, but kid is going to be a baller, I promise ya. Jameis might be too, again, they arent rivals and I am not a Bucs fan, so I really dont care, but the hate for Mariota on this board is weird.

ANd keep in mind, they are both in the NFL. The only time they played, Mariota was clearly the better player. That means nothing now, and will never mean anything again. If you are a Bucs fan, cheer for Jameis, if you arent, then cheer for your pro team.

One, I am a Titans fan, so obviously I hope he succeeds. Second, this is the 2nd thread on this board about him talking about how bad he looks, when he doesnt look bad. I think you guys are trying to create a Winston-Mariota rivalry that doesnt, and will never exist. They played against each other once in college, and after week 1 of this season wont matchup again until 2019, unless they are in a SB against each other, or if one is on a different team, which I dont see happening.

I also dont know what I am minimizing. I said he probably shouldnt have thrown the screen, and that he should have stepped up in the pocket on the fumble. How is that minimizing either? YOu said he looked bad from under center, even though he had no issues from under center.

And I will minimize anyone's success or mistakes this early in their career. I will be interested to see how consistent you guys are if Jameis struggles though. Will you be consistent? I will be. I will tell you right now I dont think preseason, or really even their entire rookie year means much. Again, Mariota was 7-8 for 94 yards and you guys are acting like he was horrible. Keep in mind, Peyton Manning threw 28 INTs his rookie year, worked out pretty well yes? Andrew Luck was sacked 44 times his rookie year, many his fault because he didnt have the feel of the NFL pocket yet. Seems to have worked out for him too. Yet after one preseason game, where Mariota was 7-8 with one INT, you guys are acting like there is major cause for concern. There isnt any cause for concern right now.
The fact that you are a Titans fan and not a FSU fan, your defense of Mariota makes more sense now. But make no mistake, FSU fans did not create this rivalry. That was done by the media pundits that summarily dismissed the fact MM did not play a NFL style game at Oregon. Had not played under center. Had not called plays in the huddle. Played in a one read offense that has not produced one QB that had sustained success in the NFL. Whose best attribute is his legs and not his arm.

All the while, every one of Jameis' flaws, mostly supposed character issues, were placed under a microscope and dissected. After the witch hunt FSU endured for most of the 2015 season, fans were rightly defensive of their QB. Those sentiments remain to this day.

Actually Zachary came from working with an NFL Coordinator. Zach proven he can play from the pocket and under center, Marriota hasn't proven that. Lots of QBs go in the first and have believed in them but that doesn't mean that they have any quality to them.

I am fine you arent sold on him, I dont care. I am a Titans fan, and could careless about Winston. And I am not comparing him to Rodgers, I didnt write the scouting reports, scouts did. But Rodgers was passed over for Alex Smith, with a lot of the same shotgun issues and what not that Mariota is questioned with. I am good with that. It might take a few years yes, but kid is going to be a baller, I promise ya. Jameis might be too, again, they arent rivals and I am not a Bucs fan, so I really dont care, but the hate for Mariota on this board is weird.

ANd keep in mind, they are both in the NFL. The only time they played, Mariota was clearly the better player. That means nothing now, and will never mean anything again. If you are a Bucs fan, cheer for Jameis, if you arent, then cheer for your pro team.

Aaron Rodgers came from a pro style offense and the problems with him were questions about arm strength and his height. Marriota has entirely relearn how to play QB just like Alex Smith had to do.

The fact that you are a Titans fan and not a FSU fan, your defense of Mariota makes more sense now. But make no mistake, FSU fans did not create this rivalry. That was done by the media pundits that summarily dismissed the fact MM did not play a NFL style game at Oregon. Had not played under center. Had not called plays in the huddle. Played in a one read offense that has not produced one QB that had sustained success in the NFL. Whose best attribute is his legs and not his arm.

All the while, every one of Jameis' flaws, mostly supposed character issues, were placed under a microscope and dissected. After the witch hunt FSU endured for most of the 2015 season, fans were rightly defensive of their QB. Those sentiments remain to this day.

What either did in college is over with. They are both playing big boy ball now. And maybe I am not reading the same stuff you guys are, but I havent read a single thing locally (or nationally) that is trying to create a Winston-Mariota rivalry. It simply isnt their.

I

This is one of the reasons people on here get frustrated when Mariota comes up.

Mariota was no where near the better player when they played. Oregon runs a simplistic offense in which the play calls are on posters and the audibles need to be called from the sidelines. Oregon doesn't even attempt the same throws as Jimbo's offense. It's an offense that any running qb can execute. It is roughly the same offense at Ohio state, miss state, auburn, and Arizona. They are all derivative of Rich Rodriguez's West Virgina offense from years ago. Every Oregon qb looks great and none of them have done a thing in the NFL.

Winston on the other hand played in a very complicated offense one in which it doesn't even function unless the qb can make reads and audible pre-snap, then make a throw in an NFL route tree.

Winston and Mariota really weren't playing the same position.

Last edited:
Aaron Rodgers came from a pro style offense and the problems with him were questions about arm strength and his height. Marriota has entirely relearn how to play QB just like Alex Smith had to do.

Rodgers came from a Jed Tedford system that produced Dilfer, Boller, Akili Smith, David Carr, and Joey Harrington. He came from a system that over inflated stats and that every other 1st rounder from the same system ended up being a bust.

This is one of the reasons people on here get frustrated when Mariota comes up.

Mariota was no where near the better player when they played. Oregon runs a simplistic offense in which the play calls are on posters and the audibles need to be called from the sidelines. Oregon doesn't even attempt the same throws as Jimbo's offense. It's an offense that any running qb can execute. It is roughly the same offense at Ohio state, miss state, auburn, and Arizona. They are all derivative of Rich Rodriguez's West Virgina offense from years ago. Every Oregon qb looks great and none of them have done a thing in the NFL.

Winston on the other hand plays in a very complicated offense one in which it doesn't even function unless the qb can make reads and audible pre-snap, then make a throw in an NFL route tree.

Winston and Mariota really weren't playing the same position.

The complexity of a system means nothing. If the system is so simple, the shouldnt it be stopped pretty easy? THe goal is to win games, not play the most complex system.

What either did in college is over with. They are both playing big boy ball now. And maybe I am not reading the same stuff you guys are, but I havent read a single thing locally (or nationally) that is trying to create a Winston-Mariota rivalry. It simply isnt their.
Maybe currently but you had to be in a complete media blackout prior to the draft to have not been inundated by it. The supporters of the one receiving the unfair negative press tend to have longer memories.

The complexity of a system means nothing. If the system is so simple, the shouldnt it be stopped pretty easy? THe goal is to win games, not play the most complex system.

You can't properly compare them if you don't care about the offense they run. Rich Rod's offense flat out isn't run in the NFL except for gadget plays. GT's offense works in college too and not the NFL.

It works because it's college. Young players. Limited time to practice. Most of the teams Oregon plays can't even match up with them player for player.

You can't properly compare them if you don't care about the offense they run. Rich Rod's offense flat out isn't run in the NFL except for gadget plays. GT's offense works in college too and not the NFL.

It works because it's college. Young players. Limited time to practice. Most of the teams Oregon plays can't even match up with them player for player.

Rodgers came from the same system as Dilfer, Akili Smith, Kyle Boller, David Carr, and Joey Harrington. All busts. THe system he came from was a huge question mark. Mariota and Rodgers skillsets are extremely similar.

Last edited:
Maybe currently but you had to be in a complete media blackout prior to the draft to have not been inundated by it. The supporters of the one receiving the unfair negative press tend to have longer memories.

That is fine, but again, who cares? Neither is in college, and there is no rivalry between them. If you are a Bucs fan, then Newton, Brees, and Ryan are the qbs you should be concerned with.

Rodgers came from the same system as Dilfer, Akili Smith, Kyle Boller, David Carr, and Joey Harrington. All busts. THe system he came from was a huge question mark. Mariota and Rodgers skillsets are extremely similar.

Now we are comparing Jeff Tedford, Jimbo, and Oregon. Three different things.

Almost every drafted quarterback is a bust. Only a handful of guys in the country are any good in the NFL......Those guys were all drafted in the first round. They did something right.

Mariota has a much weaker arm than Aaron Rodgers. And like I said earlier, Mariota will not get the benefit of sitting for 3 entire seasons before starting like Rodgers did.

Now we are comparing Jeff Tedford, Jimbo, and Oregon. Three different things.

Almost every drafted quarterback is a bust. Only a handful of guys in the country are any good in the NFL......Those guys were all drafted in the first round. They did something right.

Mariota has a much weaker arm than Aaron Rodgers. And like I said earlier, Mariota will not get the benefit of sitting for 3 entire seasons before starting like Rodgers did.

Mariota was drafted in the first round too, so by your logic didnt he do something right? And who is comparing Jimbo? Jimbo has nothing to do with Mariota or any of the QBs I just mentioned.

Mariota does not have a weak arm. He can make every throw on the field, which he basically proved last night. ANd no, he will not have the benefit of sitting like Rodgers, but most young QBs dont sit anymore, and plenty of them are successful. I dont think sitting or not sitting is much of an issue.

Mariota was drafted in the first round too, so by your logic didnt he do something right? And who is comparing Jimbo? Jimbo has nothing to do with Mariota or any of the QBs I just mentioned.

Mariota does not have a weak arm. He can make every throw on the field, which he basically proved last night. ANd no, he will not have the benefit of sitting like Rodgers, but most young QBs dont sit anymore, and plenty of them are successful. I dont think sitting or not sitting is much of an issue.

Mariota doesn't suck. He just isn't near as good as Jameis nor should be compared to Jameis.

Mariota doesn't suck. He just isn't near as good as Jameis nor should be compared to Jameis.

Again, neither has done anything in the NFL at this point. You cannot possibly state who is better. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, and is one of the best ever. Joe Montana was a 3rd round pick, and one of the best ever. Rodgers, fell to late in the first round, but IMO is the best in the game today. My point, is that their are busts constantly, and surprises constantly. Saying Winston is better than Mariota before either has played in their first real game, is projection and honestly just being a homer.

Again, neither has done anything in the NFL at this point. You cannot possibly state who is better. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, and is one of the best ever. Joe Montana was a 3rd round pick, and one of the best ever. Rodgers, fell to late in the first round, but IMO is the best in the game today. My point, is that their are busts constantly, and surprises constantly. Saying Winston is better than Mariota before either has played in their first real game, is projection and honestly just being a homer.

Who was picked first overall, Jameis or Marcus?

Yes we can say who is better right bow. All the info from Tampa was they didn't waver in picking Winston. He was the pick the entire time. They thought Winston was better.

I believe you said you were a fan of the gators months ago. Your projecting.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT