ADVERTISEMENT

Non-Tally residents

That is true and definitely not long ago. Haha

Well, I guess that's progress. 2 seasons ago I seem to recall an agent giving me a taped piece of cardboard that said "TSA Precheck."

That still happens at small airports with only a single screening agent before it splits into 2 lines for the security check.

ALB-DTW-ERI-Pics-August-2-2014-002-610x343.jpg

Interesting perspectives from everyone. I have a friend who moved back there about a year ago and so far likes it.
Another friend moved there from Jax five years ago and thinks the streets are rolled up by 7 pm, but stays because that's where grandchildren are.

Jax traffic and crime have become brutal. Something to think about on my end.
I know your friend too. I think some of her satisfaction in Tally is a result of where she moved from. Trades a harsh winter for a harsh summer and your cost of living gets cut in half.

Reactions: goldmom
Is Tallahassee still a small town in the sense that there's a small group of people that run the show and everybody knows everybody's business? Seems I recall hearing it used to be that way. Not sure if it's outgrown that or not.

Is Tallahassee still a small town in the sense that there's a small group of people that run the show and everybody knows everybody's business? Seems I recall hearing it used to be that way. Not sure if it's outgrown that or not.

You can’t speak of such things here.
Especially as there’s whiners just waiting to snitch.
So to avoid the whiners I’ll say nothing, barely even the first letter.

Lived there for 15 years after college and loved it. Have lived in a couple of larger cities since we left and I don’t miss it as much as I thought. It can be difficult to make a great living if you are not in politics, government or education.
That being said, we fully plan on retiring there or very close by.

First of all nice handle. Second, thank you. I’m cheating (sorry goldmom) as I live in Tallahassee but reading all the negativity on my town made me respond :D. Tally is a great city IMO, albeit small and a “college” town, and I lived in Norcross, Ga. for most of my grade school years. I was born here though and Dad took a job (in Tally) just before my senior year. So after college (Georgia Southern) I moved back home. Met my wife and we’ve raised one boy (19) who’s currently in Army Reserve. Also have another boy at Deerlake Middle school. Oldest attended Deerlake also and graduated from Chiles. Great schools. I work for the Florida Park Service and my wife is a case manager with Morgan & Morgan (yes for the people). We love Tallahassee, father is retired and just bought a place on Lake Talquin. It’s beautiful out there. Yes highway 20 has some interesting folk. Y’all stop hating on Tally, we are WELL AWARE the airport sucks. I talk about it all the time. We love going to jump in Wakulla Springs when it is hot as hell during the summer. We enjoy the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge and the short trip to St. George also. And if you want to talk about bad traffic, that’s Atlanta. Not sure I could live there again.
Amazing, we have many things in common. Deer Lake is my exercise yard, wifey has worked at Chiles since day 1. I feel so fortunate that we have a good life here.

Reactions: noleone99
I grew up in TLH. Left. Moved to Jax and was happy to leave Jax in 00 for Tallahassee. Graduated. Then left TLH again. Most likely for good. It might be a good place to retire, but I certainly wouldn't go back during the working part of my life. My dad is ready to leave now, but mom has her roots planted.

Bugs.
Summer heat and humidity. And the rain. Can't even take the garbage to the curb without breaking a sweat.
Don't enjoy the winters (day to day comparisons, it is colder in Tallahassee than Colorado Springs 75% of the time).
Plenty of other reasons mentioned above and in previous threads. Good old boy network among them.

There are definitely some upsides, but not enough.

Not sure where you got the weather comparison information, but Tally is not colder than C.S., and it is not that close. Sometimes it may feel colder because of the humidity, but I don't see how you can say Tally is colder.

We moved out here to Pensacola and I hate it. The beach is nice, the weather a bit cooler in the summer, and it's proximity to New Orleans (Although we never go) is nice. But I just don't fit in here at all. Very white, very conservative, very fundamentalist Christian.

I miss the diversity of Tallahassee. Do I miss it enough to move back? I don't know, but do I miss it enough to find somewhere that I don't feel like so much of an outsider? Certainly.

I’m Christian but more along the lines of a Jimmy Carter/ Bono Christian. I moved to Tallahassee in middle school and I stayed there until graduating FSU. My parents, brother and sisters families still live there. When I moved to Atlanta it was big city and I liked it. I moved to the suburbs and it’s pretty redneck. I do miss Tallahassee and it’s definetly the only small city that I could live in because of the FSU events (arts, athletics). Overall I like to live close to a big city for the purpose primarily of opportunity (jobs). I’m not really a fan of living inside a large city with children. So I’ll take the suburbs...

Several weeks ago, my wife and I were trying to plan out our weekend. We were trying to choose between two concerts at FSU, a play at a local theatre, a concert in Thomasville, the Word of South Festival (two solid days of activities), three FSU baseball games, the Spring Game, and a friend's offer to join them at the beach. While that was a busy week of activities in town, many weeks present similar challenges. Sure the weather sucks in the summer. I truly hate it. But, the fine fall, winter, and spring weather makes up for it as does the full plate of things you can do in and near Tally.

Sure the weather sucks in the summer. I truly hate it. But, the fine fall, winter, and spring weather makes up for it as does the full plate of things you can do in and near Tally.
I live in Tallahassee and I object to this partially true comment.

While the Fall, Winter, and Spring are truly great here, they last 3-4 months COMBINED.

We get ~8 months of summer and it's unfreakinbearable!

While the Fall, Winter, and Spring are truly great here, they last 3-4 months COMBINED.

I'm okay with the October through April and even early May weather.

Definitely. Florida sucks. That's all I'm saying.

The life goal I’m working to get to is where I can live in Vancouver, San Fran or maybe Seattle 7-8 months out of the year and then live in Florida (30A, St Pete or Sarasota) or in Arizona (Tucson or maybe Phoenix) the rest of the year. With obviously plenty of $$$ for trips to other locations.

Well that or say %*%* it and just move to Maui or Sydney and live year round.

My backup retirement goal if I can’t afford the above is to move to pretty much anywhere between Carmel and St Babs and live relatively comfortably year round.

Last edited:
Having lived in the Upper Midwest (Wisconsin, Michigan) and New Jersey, I'll take Florida summers over their winters, but I'm kind of a wuss when it comes to blizzards and below zero. It's all in what you're acclimated to, I suppose.

Why only one or the other? There is a middle ground. Lived almost 30 years in the Rockies. Bitter cold winters. Lived 25 years in Tally. Gawd awful summer heat and humidity. They both suck.

I just moved here after living in Chicago, Atlanta and Orlando. I miss Chicago the most but this is a great place to raise a family. Happy this far with the move back but only 6 months in.

I live in Tally as well and always thought that our summers were hot. Then I visited Austin a couple of Augusts ago during one of their heat waves. It was brutal. Highs in the 110s. Couldn’t wait to get back to Tallahassee heat!

I have lived all over Florida. Was in the midst of buying a house in Tallahassee, when word came down that my job was going away. I regret not going ahead and buying the house anyway.

Grew up in Jax, crime is crazy over there, traffic too. I live west of Jax now. Hot in summer, chilly in winter and the yellow flies and mosquitos are crazy.

In a word, yes.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
I live in Tally as well and always thought that our summers were hot. Then I visited Austin a couple of Augusts ago during one of their heat waves. It was brutal. Highs in the 110s. Couldn’t wait to get back to Tallahassee heat!

You are talking two extremes. Lesser of two evils. As the OP asked. There are much better places than Tally.

The life goal I’m working to get to is the where I can live in Vancouver, San Fran or maybe Seattle 7-8 months out of the year and then live in Florida (30A, St Pete or Sarasota) or in Arizona (Tucson or maybe Phoenix) the rest of the year. With obviously plenty of $$$ for trips to other locations.

Well that or say %*%* it and just move to Maui or Sydney and live year round.

My backup retirement goal if I can’t afford the above is to move to pretty much anywhere between Carmel and St Babs and live relatively comfortably year round.
Is that really the nickname for Santa Barbara...St. Babs?

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Not sure where you got the weather comparison information, but Tally is not colder than C.S., and it is not that close. Sometimes it may feel colder because of the humidity, but I don't see how you can say Tally is colder.

Yes, our cold is colder, esp at night, and it wasn't stated in my first post, but when N FL gets a cold spell, I usually get a call asking what the temp is. After about the 10th time straight of calling over the years and him asking me "What is your temp? " and it being warmer in Colorado Springs he gave up. But quick scan of January of this year, COS had a warmer high on Jan 4, 5, 6, 17,18,19, 20 (tie) and the 30th. Ignoring the impact of humidity.

ADVERTISEMENT