ADVERTISEMENT

Non-Tally residents

As others have said, Tally is not where I want to be, but it can be the right place if you accept the area for what it has to offer.
I think what happens with a lot of people is that they wanna bring parts of what they left behind to the new place. That creates problems with the “locals” that they interact with in various ways.
Examples of problems might include the old “I don’t give a rip how they did it in —-!” bumper stickers seen on various rides particularly in areas where second home or vacation people migrate into.
Embrace the place, don’t try to bring old laundry with you and then get angered by blowback.

As others have said, Tally is not where I want to be, but it can be the right place if you accept the area for what it has to offer.
I think what happens with a lot of people is that they wanna bring parts of what they left behind to the new place. That creates problems with the “locals” that they interact with in various ways.
Examples of problems might include the old “I don’t give a rip how they did it in —-!” bumper stickers seen on various rides particularly in areas where second home or vacation people migrate into.
Embrace the place, don’t try to bring old laundry with you and then get angered by blowback.

Bill nails it here. Mrs. Ed (no pics) and I are fixing to retire, and we can't get out of Atlanta fast enough. Building a place in Cape Coral, and in several trips down there, have embraced the community, recognized some things we aren't going to like (e.g., in season traffic) but find just drinking rum concoctions and eating fresh seafood all day will make our last years most enjoyable. The natives seem like great people as well.

The temp at 5:30 this evening. August should be fun.

36386246_1906991269323395_2154148801588232192_n.jpg

Reactions: noleone99
Lived in Tallahassee after Grad school for maybe 4 years, moved to Atlanta.

I could do TLH again...I think a lot of the things people cite as negatives are largely overstated, or, the things they claim to love about their current city are overstated as well.

For me personally, it was career path related, as well as a lack of other young professionals. As a single male, you weren't exactly running into new people all the time. It was too small for a young professional, but I could see the appeal as someone with a career that you are comfortable in, as well as a stable marriage.

Why do you stay?
Not DFS, but fair question. I’m a Tallahassean but am up in the Waynesville NC area this week. The locals here complain when the high hits 85. I keep asking my wife why we don’t move up here. But all our family is in Florida, so I don’t think we’re going anywhere.

Having lived in so many places while my husband "climbed the corporate ladder", I found that as a Floridian and Southern girl I preferred to deal with heat rather than miserable, drab and cold - REALLY cold - climates.
I was never more miserable than when we were transferred to Madison, Wisconsin. Northern New Jersey was almost as bad!

So, in summary, I can deal with heat far better than snow, ice, below zero and grey skies for weeks on end.
Season changes in NoFla are just right, and the only real difference between Tally and Jax (my hometown and current residence) is the ability to catch a breeze off the ocean now and then. And we seem to have a lot more tropical plant life, which I like.

Texas was FAR hotter, y'all !!!! Watching your kid play select baseball in 104 degree heat is just a special memory!

Reactions: noleone99
Not DFS, but fair question. I’m a Tallahassean but am up in the Waynesville NC area this week. The locals here complain when the high hits 85. I keep asking my wife why we don’t move up here. But all our family is in Florida, so I don’t think we’re going anywhere.

Our family is in Florida too but we moved. Kids are raised and doing their thing. After 25 years in the Tallahassee area we moved to the north Georgia mountains. We drive to see the family 3-4 times a year. Or they visit us. Gets warm here but we don't have the oppressive humidity. A few weeks of fairly cold in the winter, but not near what the north deals with. Very nice middle ground for us.

Why do you stay?
Work. House. Family.
I'm 57 years old. I moved from West Palm Beach to the panhandle when I was 39. It was tough enough starting over culturally and professionally at that age. I have no desire to do it again now. After retirement, when the options are greater, that will be a more realistic question. Now, not really.

Reactions: dmm5157
Having lived in so many places while my husband "climbed the corporate ladder", I found that as a Floridian and Southern girl I preferred to deal with heat rather than miserable, drab and cold - REALLY cold - climates.
I was never more miserable than when we were transferred to Madison, Wisconsin. Northern New Jersey was almost as bad!

So, in summary, I can deal with heat far better than snow, ice, below zero and grey skies for weeks on end.
Season changes in NoFla are just right, and the only real difference between Tally and Jax (my hometown and current residence) is the ability to catch a breeze off the ocean now and then. And we seem to have a lot more tropical plant life, which I like.

Texas was FAR hotter, y'all !!!! Watching your kid play select baseball in 104 degree heat is just a special memory!
I have heard that the heat is on in Jax.

Reactions: goldmom
I prefer to be close to the water and yet striking distance from Tallahassee (3 1/2 hours).

Was born in Tally and went to college there. I just can't imagine ever moving back there. Majority of my family still lives there which along with the heat just makes it even less appealing. If flights are as expensive as people are saying I doubt my company would appreciate me moving there. The other thing I have found is with small airports any delay creates a mess. I tried flying out of HHI a few times and with so few inbound/outbound fights it is just not a good plan. Right now we are kicking the idea around of moving to Asheville/Black Mountain area when my daughter goes to college. When I first got back into contracting/govt. work my first employer asked if re-locating to Columbus GA was an option and I laughed. My boss was like why? Told him I live in HHI and had 2 kids in HS if I even mentioned that move my wife would laugh and then think I was smoking pot or something.

There probably is only 1 thing that could get me to move to Tally. If someone bought me a house right next to tribe; now that would be some epic fun and I would have a new workout buddy.

There probably is only 1 thing that could get me to move to Tally. If someone bought me a house right next to tribe; now that would be some epic fun and I would have a new workout buddy.

:cue yakety sax:

Deaths occurring from the heat? Very scary.

Yep.

“A 63-year-old postal worker was found dead in her mail truck in Woodland Hills as temperatures pushed toward 120 degrees last Friday, her family members said.

Peggy Frank of North Hills had worked for the U.S. Postal Service for 28 years and was nearing retirement. She had just returned to work for the first time in months on Friday after suffering a broken ankle, according to loved ones.”

This describes L.A., as well. I don’t think any city ever really grows out of it.

Large cities many times are made up up of a bunch of smaller ones.....I recall a couple friends making that sort of comment when they moved out there...You may live in LA, but you really are in such and such town, and many folks don't wonder too far from that space...

Reactions: billanole
Large cities many times are made up up of a bunch of smaller ones.....I recall a couple friends making that sort of comment when they moved out there...You may live in LA, but you really are in such and such town, and many folks don't wonder too far from that space...
Yeah. Our son moved out to Sherman Oaks a year ago. He is hustling his ace off in order to afford a place to stay in his preferred spot.
He has nothing bad to say about his choice. We visited a few months ago and agree with his choices in the region to live in... it is his option as to make it work!

Very true. I have lived in Palms, Mar Vista, and Del Rey my entire time in LA; and those neighborhoods are wildly different from Silverlake, Santa Monica, or Encino. Westsiders are notorious about not wanting to travel east of Beverly Hills or north of Brentwood, and the Eastsiders have nothing but contempt for the westside.
Yeah. Our son moved out to Sherman Oaks a year ago. He is hustling his ace off in order to afford a place to stay in his preferred spot.
He has nothing bad to say about his choice. We visited a few months ago and agree with his choices in the region to live in... it is his option as to make it work!
oh god...the Valley. ;)

Seriously, the only complaints I have ever heard about Sherman Oaks are that it's boring and that you have drive over the hill to get anywhere worth going.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT