ADVERTISEMENT

Non-Tally residents

goldmom

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jacksonville
answer only if you don't live in Leon County!

Could you ever live in Tallahassee again?

When I travel back over for games and drive around it just amazes me how much the place has grown. It's made me ask myself if I could live there again. I moved away 40 (yes that means I'm old :rolleyes:) years ago and maybe 100,000 people lived there. Health care was very sketchy and there were few places to shop. Tally is SO different now.
Thoughts?

I could. It isn't the greatest place, but (Aside from the humidity) I really liked living there. My wife says she never could move back though.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I only lived there during my time as a student, so I never really "lived" there in terms of it truly being home & the place where I earned a living. I think I could; overall I like the city (based solely on my visits back for games).

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I know I am not following the rules, as I live in Tallahassee now, but there are a lot of days I wouldn't mind trying something different (something outside of Florida) out. Atlanta and Nashville would be at the top of my list.

I know I am not following the rules, as I live in Tallahassee now, but there are a lot of days I wouldn't mind trying something different (something outside of Florida) out. Atlanta and Nashville would be at the top of my list.

Neither Atlanta nor Nashville are really different enough from Tally to get me to move there on its own imo. Bigger yes, better...? Definitely not if you do like I do and travel frequently for weekends and three or four day mini vacays to PCB, Grayton, Seaside, Destin, Jax and even further afield to Biloxi, New Orleans, Tampa and Orlando relatively frequently. Because Atlanta with Chattanooga and the mountains of North Georgia (Dahlonega/Helen/etc) or Nashville plus Louisville and Kentucky bourbon and Tennessee whiskey areas are nice, but I prefer Tally plus white sand beaches and larger shows and events in Jax and the ability to easily travel to NOLA for food and music or Biloxi for gambling over either of those metros plus easy drive time). I’d never want to live in NOLA but I love being close enough to visit whenever I want.

I’ve traveled relatively extensively over the past couple of years (to all major cities that have sports teams excepting Dallas, St Louis, Houston, Cincinnati and Minnesota) and the only ones make me wish I could spend a couple of years in the area rather than just visit is 1) Phoenix/preferably Tucson, 2) Seattle/preferably Vancouver, and 3) San Francisco/really further south as I agree with HopkinsMed and would really prefer Monterey or Carmel and I even like the area all the way down to Santa Barbara (but not LA).

There aren’t too many other areas I could see wanting to live. I could see moving to Otown or Tampa/St Pete to be closer to our extended families but really nowhere else in Florida. I could see wanting to live in NYC, Toronto and Chicago for a year or two to fully experience “big city” life but I couldn’t see wanting to live there full time for much longer than that. All of the other major “southern” cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Louisville, Birmingham, Memphis, etc... I like well enough but not enough to choose them over Tally with a four and a half hour drive window for weekends and small vacays. I do like Austin and “the Hill Country” enough to visit every two or three years when they have a particularly compelling music or comedy lineup but not enough I would want to live there and be trapped with only Dallas, Houston and bumble%*%* Texas as driveby alternatives for the weekends. I couldn’t picture wanting to live in the Midwest or Northeast full time, it’s nice enough for visits but that’s it. Denver and Colorado Springs is probably the other greater areas I would put some serious thought into living, but honestly I’d rather live in Phoenix/Tucson and just get a cheap flight up to Denver than actually live in Denver. But that’s just the Floridian in me preferring warmer weather.

Tally is a great home base. I think for people that just went to school there they almost done know what living in Tallahassee would be like post college. The Northeast part of town is more and more like a different town and experience from living near campus. When I lived there post college I rarely went south of I-10. It is a nice midsized town. The only negative is if you are a person that needs to be close to a big town it is a hike to a big city.

Having a family now I find that is not that important. Tally makes a great home base to travel on occasion with a good quality of life for the day to day.

The airport situation would be tough. As a single 33y/o there's no way I'd ever live there. If I was married with a couple kids it would be much more palatable but I still wouldn't prefer it.

Neither Atlanta nor Nashville are really different enough from Tally to get me to move there on its own imo. Bigger yes, better...? Definitely not if you do like I do and travel frequently for weekends and three or four day mini vacays to PCB, Grayton, Seaside, Destin, Jax and even further afield to Biloxi, New Orleans, Tampa and Orlando relatively frequently. Because Atlanta with Chattanooga and the mountains of North Georgia (Dahlonega/Helen/etc) or Nashville plus Louisville and Kentucky bourbon and Tennessee whiskey areas are nice, but I prefer Tally plus white sand beaches and larger shows and events in Jax and the ability to easily travel to NOLA for food and music or Biloxi for gambling over either of those metros plus easy drive time). I’d never want to live in NOLA but I love being close enough to visit whenever I want.

I’ve traveled relatively extensively over the past couple of years (to all major cities that have sports teams excepting Dallas, St Louis, Houston, Cincinnati and Minnesota) and the only ones make me wish I could spend a couple of years in the area rather than just visit is 1) Phoenix/preferably Tucson, 2) Seattle/preferably Vancouver, and 3) San Francisco/really further south as I agree with HopkinsMed and would really prefer Monterey or Carmel and I even like the area all the way down to Santa Barbara (but not LA).

There aren’t too many other areas I could see wanting to live. I could see moving to Otown or Tampa/St Pete to be closer to our extended families but really nowhere else in Florida. I could see wanting to live in NYC, Toronto and Chicago for a year or two to fully experience “big city” life but I couldn’t see wanting to live there full time for much longer than that. All of the other major “southern” cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Louisville, Birmingham, Memphis, etc... I like well enough but not enough to choose them over Tally with a four and a half hour drive window for weekends and small vacays. I do like Austin and “the Hill Country” enough to visit every two or three years when they have a particularly compelling music or comedy lineup but not enough I would want to live there and be trapped with only Dallas, Houston and bumble%*%* Texas as driveby alternatives for the weekends. I couldn’t picture wanting to live in the Midwest or Northeast full time, it’s nice enough for visits but that’s it. Denver and Colorado Springs is probably the other greater areas I would put some serious thought into living, but honestly I’d rather live in Phoenix/Tucson and just get a cheap flight up to Denver than actually live in Denver. But that’s just the Floridian in me preferring warmer weather.
Tally is ok. Just ok, in my opinion. I am ready for a change of scenery, perhaps professionally more so than geographical location. Just ready for a change and I'm beginning to think it may be time to relocate.

Yes, there are nice beaches close by, but it is a pain in the butt to get most places outside of the beach. At least in Atlanta or Nashville, I could travel to a lot more places in a quicker amount of time.

Tally is a great home base. I think for people that just went to school there they almost done know what living in Tallahassee would be like post college.

Yeah, this is me. I only lived there for the four years of college and never liked it as a town, at all. I just didn't see anything it had to offer outside the university, which admittedly is a big thing. I would like to be able to go to FSU basketball games.

But otherwise, I didn't see anything to recommend it...it had the opportunities of a small town and the crime of a big city. I never considered staying, nor would ever consider moving back.

Now, that was over 20 years ago for one thing, and I have friends that have stayed and lived there, and obviously, they're not nuts. So there's clearly something positive to it. I just never saw it, nor in my limited time coming back for football games. I'm sure to some extent where you make your life is what you make of it. And I've spent the last 20 years raising kids in the suburbs of "real cities" and took advantage during that time of almost nothing those cities had to offer, so I can't act like I'm living the hip life. But I just never liked it...the way it looked, the weather, anything.

I lived there for 9 years during and after college. Loved it then but I was also in my 20s. Not sure if I'd feel the same now.

Tally is ok. Just ok, in my opinion. I am ready for a change of scenery, perhaps professionally more so than geographical location. Just ready for a change and I'm beginning to think it may be time to relocate.

Yes, there are nice beaches close by, but it is a pain in the butt to get most places outside of the beach. At least in Atlanta or Nashville, I could travel to a lot more places in a quicker amount of time.

I’m talking only geographically, obviously from a business standpoint Tally is usually a deadend. Fortunately I’m able to work from home anywhere on the planet with decent WiFi so it doesn’t hurt me at all professionally.

I have no desire to move back but I have also lived enough places to know there are pluses and minuses to every place.

I have a very deep family and friend bench in central florida so see no reason to leave that at this point in life (wife and young kids, great job).

Could I have stayed there after college and lived a good life? Sure.

No. No functional airport, and you’d wear out the places you like pretty quickly, I think.

It’s like the beach. It’s awesome when you visit your condo. But do you really want to live there year around? The weather is not ideal lots of times, and you can’t drink and party around the clock.

Don’t let the temporary weekend euphoria cloud your long-term vision, I say.

I only lived there as a student so it is hard to know what it is like to actually live and raise a family there. I could probably get used to living there but the problem for me would be the limited job prospects that Tally offers in my career field. I work in international tax which limits the amount of places you can work and medium sized towns just do not offer the opportunities that the larger cities offer.

Lived in Tally area 25 years. Moved to Blue Ridge mountains in north Georgia. Our kids still live there, but neither of us have a desire to move back. Summers high heat and humidity sucks. As we got older, the less we could handle it. Now we have mild winters and summers. We are known as "half backs". Grew up in the northern states, moved to Florida, then moved half way back.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Nope. Keep a home there and love spending time during football season and with nearby family. I’ve given up on eating out there and the local streets are awfully slow to drive on. Getting through that single security line at TLH isn’t much of a convenience either.

No. Maybe some day buy land in Thomasville, GA or Jefferson/Madison county but I couldn't live full-time in Tallahassee. Maybe one day it will be it's own Austin, TX and offer something more than just being the state capital or home to a large state university.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvilTwin
Nope. Keep a home there and love spending time during football season and with nearby family. I’ve given up on eating out there and the local streets are awfully slow to drive on. Getting through that single security line at TLH isn’t much of a convenience either.
It takes less than 30 seconds to go through security at TLH.

No. Maybe some buy land in Thomasville, GA or Jefferson/Madison county but I couldn't live full-time in Tallahassee. Maybe one day it will be it's own Austin, TX and offer something more than just being the state capital or home to a large state university.
That will require a major change of a lot of things.

Maybe...........as long as I have a pool. But to be honest, I love living some place where I can quickly go see the ocean..........there's something so soothing about it.

Yes, if the next flight departs in four hours.
I don’t know how your experience could be so drastically different than mine, and it could just be me, but I’ve literally never had a problem nor heard of anyone else complain about a slow TSA line @ TLH. It’s a tiny airport w/no more than 2 flights taking off w/in an hour of each other.

I don’t know how your experience could be so drastically different than mine, and it could just be me, but I’ve literally never had a problem nor heard of anyone else complain about a slow TSA line @ TLH. It’s a tiny airport w/no more than 2 flights taking off w/in an hour of each other.
My complaints about TLH have never been with TSA.

No. Inbound/outbound flight prices are astronomical. No cruise terminals. No close beaches. Freezing in winter, hotter than hell in summer. Both my wife and I are from south florida. Her family is very involved in helping with our son. It’s awesome for nostalgia and going back a couple times in the fall for games but that’s about it.

I've had the opportunity to go back fairly often for business, so I think I have the student perspective, the multi-year season ticket holder sports fan perspective, and a 6-12 three day mid week business person's perspective of the town, additionally my wife has family there so we have been to several family events there.

With that I say, no flipping way.

Great place to visit, especially if you have an emotional connection to it like a former student, but there is just no way.

- Traffic sucks, Especially for such a small town.
- There are a few good restaurants but overall nothing special. Too many chains.
- The ghetto is huge, and there is a major ghetto effect.
- Schools mostly suck (I realize some are good)
- To counter the ghetto side, there are equally as many slack jawed yokels.
- Air travel is expensive and sparse.
- With the exception of the redneck rivera the close travel options don't interest me much.
- The proximity to decently large cities is less than optimal.

Like some folks mentioned, I could see buying a condo there if one of my kids goes to college there, that I may use for a sports vacation / rental property, or buying a farm in the rolling hills of a neighboring county / smaller town where I could pretend I live the farm life. Otherwise no thanks.

Every time I have a morning flight, the line stretches out to almost the ticket counter area. Every time.

I have told my wife that I want to move there after I retire. I can see myself attending some FSU athletic event all the time. I haven't quite convinced her of the idea yet but I have 8.5 years to work on it.
I’m doing this in reverse. I’m retiring in July and moving from Tally to West Virginia (where the Missus is from). It’s just time for a change and it gives me an opportunity to get on my motorcycle and see more of this beautiful country.

Reactions: rassmon and DFSNOLE
Lived in Tally area 25 years. Moved to Blue Ridge mountains in north Georgia. Our kids still live there, but neither of us have a desire to move back. Summers high heat and humidity sucks. As we got older, the less we could handle it. Now we have mild winters and summers. We are known as "half backs". Grew up in the northern states, moved to Florida, then moved half way back.
We're thinking of doing the same. If you don't mind my asking, what town do you live in, and how's the medical care, etc.?

Short answer: NO.

Long answer: No, it's just too small, lacks travel accessibility, culture, events, diversity, dining, etc... options.

The only two reasons I'd live there are:
1. FSU sports
2. Proximity to St George Island

Last edited:
We moved there when I was nine years old. Mom and Pops were both teachers who started careers further west in smaller towns and migrated to a sweet little place out on Lake Bradford. Killer place to raise 4 wild ace boys as we had the lake out front and the Appalach National Forest out back.
I left for cooler climes and have tried to figure out how (or why) to move back many times over the years... mostly because of family, childhood buds, and FSU sports. It just is no longer home, and there are not enough draws to bring a stranger there.
Ten years ago I would have pulled the trigger on a second place in Appalachicola or somewhere between Destin and PC... now I would rather move into a low maintenance little joint in mid-town Tally that allows easy access to options in town and at sports events.
Problems are, it is still oppressively hot and muggy, the divide between has and don’t seems to continue to widen, the mountains would be far away, traffic does not get any better, the state leadership continues to be more and more rigid and inflexible, my family is less of a presence there than before, and we sold the lake house in order to make access easier for my parents.
Dang, I miss skiing Lake Bradford at sunrise, paddling the chain of lakes, hitting sink holes after work, watching baseball from the Pensacola Street “Bridge”, walking into and out of Doak, and heading down to St George for the weekend, but it just does not pull strong enough to move back...

Last edited:
tenor.gif

- Traffic sucks, Especially for such a small town.
- There are a few good restaurants but overall nothing special. Too many chains.
- The ghetto is huge, and there is a major ghetto effect.
- Schools mostly suck (I realize some are good)
- To counter the ghetto side, there are equally as many slack jawed yokels.
- Air travel is expensive and sparse.
- With the exception of the redneck rivera the close travel options don't interest me much.
- The proximity to decently large cities is less than optimal.

I have to disagree with some of your points. In fact, I’d say that many of your negative comments apply to the area near the FSU campus, not the balance of Tallahassee.

Traffic is not bad. It totally depends on where you live and are employed. If you live in any of the several neighborhoods off Thomasville road south of I-10, then your downtown commute is 5 minutes. People live in the high rise condos downtown these days too. Even if you live northeast of town, traffic still moves quickly. Every single big city in Florida is 10x worse than Tally, IMO. I’ve driven in them.

I agree on the restaurants somewhat, but it has gotten better the last few years. There are several good local restaurants around town serving local fare these days. Most are casual-ish. Most are smallish. But the food is good. I agree that there are not many any real upscale fine dining restaurants. Heck, are there any?

I agree that Tallahassee has some ghetto, especially near FSU’s campus, but it’s like any other town. You typically stay away from the bad areas. Lots of great, safe areas around town, especially on the northeast part of town.

I disagree on schools. They actually have rep for being very good. Leon county teachers are often some of the most overqualified teachers in the business in terms of education level. There are some really good private options as well.

There’s a lot of necks in surrounding counties. Tally is like an island in that regard.

Agreed that the airport stinks. Might be the worst part about Tally. Nothing else needs to be said.

In terms of local, travel, I love the forgotten coast. Apalachicola has some great charm. Little charming old Florida town with a long history. Great seafood. I’m afraid that people are going to really discover it one day. Fishing out of Carabelle is excellent. Dog Island is unspoiled beautiful. St. George is nice. St. Marks is easy to access to get to the water quickly if you like boating,

New Orleans and Atlanta are all less than a 6 hour drive. Get in the car early morning, you are there by afternoon. Tampa, Orlando and Jax are all less than 4 hour drive. Destin and 30-A are easily accessible.

Great place to live if you are into anything outdoors. Hunting, fishing, camping, boating, biking, hiking, kayaking are all great. The City parks, including new Cascades, are great. Plenty of green space. The nearby rivers and springs are also beautiful.

The Red Hills plantations are really cool.

Hills, canopy roads, and some history.

The nightlife has improved significantly over the last 10 years. FSU provides a great amount of sports, musical and theater entertainment for a midsize town. The Midtown and Gaines areas have a lot going on in terms of varied destinations. There are now some great local breweries, like Proof, Ology and Deep. Plenty of live music venues these days, including Bradfordvlle Blues Club, Cascades, Fifth and Thomas, and several other small venues near campus. Not a great place for mega acts though.

Hot as hades in August and September. Sucks. Nice in the winter if you like a little change of seasons,

Overall great place to live and raise a family.

I say no, but it’s not out of question. It’s much closer to family and I haven’t seen the offer.

If it were a good job with a good company that gave me a substantial pay raise...I’d do it.

If it were a god job with good money and a substantial raise, but the city was Dothan, or Macon...would not even consider it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT