ADVERTISEMENT

Non-Tally residents

Is that really the nickname for Santa Barbara...St. Babs?

Pushing that nickname forward is currently the main mission in life for this lady:

giphy.gif

No thanks. Like the OP, I've been gone for 40 years. Retiring for the 2nd time in 3 more and moving to Cape Coral. Pretty much the same drive to games as from Dacula up here, but smaller and slower lifestyle. Tally has gotten too busy for me.

Completely agree! And yes it varies obviously but we had quite a bit of cold this past winter. Several hard freezes which I don’t remember in recent years.
We had an unusually cold January but by mid February highs were in the mid 80s and azaleas were blooming. Cold season in Tally is rarely more than 4 weeks.

Reactions: noleone99
Nope. Keep a home there and love spending time during football season and with nearby family. I’ve given up on eating out there and the local streets are awfully slow to drive on. Getting through that single security line at TLH isn’t much of a convenience either.
There's three now, to accommodate TSA pre-check. :D

Reactions: rassmon
Yes, our cold is colder, esp at night, and it wasn't stated in my first post, but when N FL gets a cold spell, I usually get a call asking what the temp is. After about the 10th time straight of calling over the years and him asking me "What is your temp? " and it being warmer in Colorado Springs he gave up. But quick scan of January of this year, COS had a warmer high on Jan 4, 5, 6, 17,18,19, 20 (tie) and the 30th. Ignoring the impact of humidity.

This past year, Tally had the coldest January it has had in quite a while (and that was only 8 days it had a warmer high - pus, you didn't talk about the low temps). If you look at February, I am willing to bet that there was not one day that CS was warmer than Tally.

This past year, Tally had the coldest January it has had in quite a while (and that was only 8 days it had a warmer high - pus, you didn't talk about the low temps). If you look at February, I am willing to bet that there was not one day that CS was warmer than Tally.

You must have missed the paragraph you quoted that started off "yes, our cold is colder".

But you are right. Over the last couple of years, when I get a call from Florida asking what the temp is and it is colder during Tallahassee's cold spells, I am lying. You caught me. My evil plan to trick the world and get Tallahassee's ranking in the USNews places to live ranking lowered, has been foiled. I concede to you, good sir or madam.

Reactions: billanole
This was an odd winter all over the panhandle. Colder than normal December and January. Unexplainably warm February then a cold March. Spring even lasted through April.

Yes, it opened in the last few months.
Excellent news, Nolezilla! Now I shall find it worthy enough for my long awaited return. Prepare the villagers for the arrival of Ostrich.

We shall feast on traditional American delicacies in the train caboose at the McDonalds on Thomasville Road.

This was an odd winter all over the panhandle. Colder than normal December and January. Unexplainably warm February then a cold March. Spring even lasted through April.
Which I was not complaining about.

We had a front push thru this week that dialed down out temps and relative humidity, thankfully.
Temps in the 60’s this a.m. rising into early 80’s while R.H. now in the 70’s drops into 50’s later today. Thank you, Thank you very much.

answer only if you don't live in Leon County!

Could you ever live in Tallahassee again?

When I travel back over for games and drive around it just amazes me how much the place has grown. It's made me ask myself if I could live there again. I moved away 40 (yes that means I'm old :rolleyes:) years ago and maybe 100,000 people lived there. Health care was very sketchy and there were few places to shop. Tally is SO different now.
Thoughts?

I could live there. Every time I go back there's something changing but its that way everywhere. Might as well have Seminole sports as a diversion for all of the every day crap that invades our lives.

Reactions: goldmom
No one likes you very much.
I carry that daily...
Growing up in North Florida we used to revel in the sun and heat, whilst visitors melted. Going up to our grandparents places in piedmont NC exposed me to a somewhat different climate. Moving into the mountains at 21 cemented my desire to not live in an area without four seasons.
At least Tally, when I grew up there, got the infrequent sight of snow flakes and a week or so of sub freezing morning temps scattered across a month or two. The spring/fall seasons could also be counted on to deliver a week or so of low humidity and cooler temps.
I just have no desire to live where it is constantly hot and humid but, to each his own.

Last edited:
I carry that daily...
Growing up in North Florida we used to revel in the sun and heat, whilst visitors melted. Going up to our grandparents places in piedmont NC exposed me to a somewhat different climate. Moving into the mountains at 21 cemented my desire to not live in an area without four seasons.
At least Tally, when I grew up there, got the infrequent sight of snow flakes and a week or so of sub freezing morning temps scattered across a month or two. The spring/fall seasons could also be counted on to deliver a week or so of low humidity and cooler temps.
I just have no desire to live where it is constantly hot and humid but, to each his own.
Days like the past 5 days, I agree with you.

Yes, mom, the winter is usually nice. I just feel like Col. Jessup in A Few Good Men during the summer.

Nope, no way. My wife and I met there, and a few years ago we drove through there during a road trip we took to Florida. We wanted to show our son where we went to school and where we met. She left in 1998 (for grad school) and I was there until 1999, trying to find a job in NC where she was. The city, and the campus, are a lot different now. Just doesn’t have much to offer her or me now. Plus, I don’t think I could live in Florida again period, not just Tallahassee. The heat and general lack of the 4 seasons is a big reason.

I never went to school at FSU or lived in Tally but I did just drop my son off to start school. We realized long ago that we wanted to live in Florida but we also realized quickly that Tallahassee was not one of the places in Florida that would work for us. We want palm trees not pine trees and to be much closer to the ocean. The heat and humidity will be a shock to us no matter where in Florida we live. We also want to be near a larger airport for ease of travel, especially when the kids are starting their own lives.

DQ sounds like you need to be near Tampa - am I right? It's the only other big city in Florida I would live in or near. Jax has the ocean and palm trees and is 2 hrs and 20 minutes from Tally, but it may not be what you're looking for.

Reactions: MagNoleA
DQ sounds like you need to be near Tampa - am I right? It's the only other big city in Florida I would live in or near. Jax has the ocean and palm trees and is 2 hrs and 20 minutes from Tally, but it may not be what you're looking for.
Yep, we bought a place in Seminole, a mile from Indian Shores Beach. It's rented for the year so we can't wait to actually move in.

Reactions: goldmom
I do always hear about the tasty clams and lobster tails on the beach. Do you have a list of Good Eats places over there on the beach or surrounding area that you could recommend for hearty appetites? Looking to down some bull oysters, too.

I am currently walking from my private practice office to campus, and the temperature has reached its high for the day: a blistering 73 degrees.
;)

I am currently walking from my private practice office to campus, and the temperature has reached its high for the day: a blistering 73 degrees.
;)
I was in LA about a month ago and it got so chilly at night that I had to buy a hoodie.

I was in LA about a month ago and it got so chilly at night that I had to buy a hoodie.
May and June can be quite chilly in LA, if you are near the water, because of the marine layer and the interaction between coastal currents and the inland desert. May Gray and June Gloom are neat phenomena.

May and June can be quite chilly in LA, if you are near the water, because of the marine layer and the interaction between coastal currents and the inland desert. May Gray and June Gloom are neat phenomena.
Yeah, my local colleagues referred to it as "June Gloom." It's a completely foreign concept coming from the south where, once the thermometer hits 80, it doesn't come down again until October.

I am totally spoiled by the weather here. We definitely don’t venture more than 10 miles from the coast during the summer, because anything warmer than about 75 feels unbearable to me at this point.

I am totally spoiled by the weather here. We definitely don’t venture more than 10 miles from the coast during the summer, because anything warmer than about 75 feels unbearable to me at this point.
I do recall being bumfuzzled in the morning at that time of year by the fog like morning gray. Noontime on out was glorious.
No one can deny the desirability of the climate in SoCal.

I was in LA in July of 91 and it got downright cold at a Dodger game. It was in the upper 50s by the end of the game.

Lived in Tally from 81' until 2011, saw most of the Bowden years up close. We moved because we missed the seasons, and always loved Virginia(except DC area). I have lived in numerous large towns and mid sized, we prefer the mid sized. I tend to learn to like wherever I live, will seek out a friend base via clubs, common interests, etc. And we always find things to do, never had a problem in "nothing to do" Tallahassee. Those are lazy ass people talking. We love Charlottesville and the mountains, but wouldn't have an issue moving back to Tally if conditions warranted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT