ADVERTISEMENT

Now Cat 4 Michael

Nephew was able to walk to a friends house and use their landline last night. He got lucky and his unit and car came out ok but here are some pictures of other units in his complex.

Michael%201_zpsugyujdeu.png

Michael%203_zpsjzs47btf.jpg

Michael%202_zpsqrrzfy62.jpg

Michael%202_zpsqrrzfy62.jpg

Near by Hospital

Michael%205_zpsfi1wyqdl.jpg
Wow. Where's this at? Extremely lucky the death count is so low, it will probably rise a little, but still. He is lucky as hell.

Those videos are something else. Flashbacks of Andrew, Jeanne, Frances, Wilma.and Irma. Thankfully I have never been hit like those in the panhandle.

Wow. Where's this at? Extremely lucky the death count is so low, it will probably rise a little, but still. He is lucky as hell.

Spring Valley Apts on Harrison ave near 23rd.

Yes he is and I don't think he will be riding any more Hurricane's any time soon. My brother tried to get him to come home but he wants to stay down there and volunteer to do some clean up efforts. He is a good kid.

Besides all that fam drama, where de heck is our benevolent overlord? Is DFS hitting the course today, pulling hard on whiskey his son supplied, or deep into his EOC inner self?
Hang tough Jim. Walton County and others appreciate your efforts, my man.
Sorry. Been busy the past 12-15 hours. We did alright in Walton County. Widespread power outages but no structural damage with the exception of a few businesses on the far southeastern part of the county. It's really amazing how well we did considering our proximity to the eye of the storm. I was told this morning that leaving Walton County into Bay on US98 that everything did fairly well until you get to Thomas Drive. It looks like a war zone after that. There is so much debris on the roads from both trees and buildings that the roads are impassable which is delaying the relief work.
Further north In Jackson County, Mariana took a major hit. They lost their EOC, Police and Fire stations. It was reported that Michael was still a Cat 3 60 miles inland. Some of the smaller more rural counties haven't been able to fully assess yet.
It's bad to our east folks. If there's a silver lining it's that the rebuilding should be good for the local economy for years to come.

Spring Valley Apts on Harrison ave near 23rd.

Yes he is and I don't think he will be riding any more Hurricane's any time soon. My brother tried to get him to come home but he wants to stay down there and volunteer to do some clean up efforts. He is a good kid.
Absolutely a good kid. Id probably be hungover and neck punching the elderly over a hot shower and a can of beefaroni.

Not familiar with the rds you mentioned, was this in PC or somewhere else?

Absolutely a good kid. Id probably be hungover and neck punching the elderly over a hot shower and a can of beefaroni.

Not familiar with the rds you mentioned, was this in PC or somewhere else?

About 1.5-2 miles due north of PC on the map.

...everything did fairly well until you get to Thomas Drive. It looks like a war zone after that.

I remember hearing the same thing in the morning after Hurricane Andrew. Everything south of Kendall Drive was like a war zone.

Dang - remember waking up in a motel in Mexico Beach after a hard couple of nights partying in PC. I only heard the “Mexico” part of the description of where we were. Proceeded to spend the next 30 minutes freaking out wondering how the hell did I end up in Mexico and how was I going to get home with a buck fitty in loose change in my pocket.

My cousin is the news director at one of the news stations in PC. They hunkered down at the news station through the storm and took a direct hit - spent part of the time under a mattress in the hallway. They're off the air.

Mexico Beach used to be a tiny noplace in the 70's.
On the list of my "woulda coulda shoulda" life story we passed on a little concrete block 2/1 in 1974 for $9000 one block north of 98. Big lot. I have a pretty good list of those from when we lived in Tally.

Mexico Beach had 1072 residents in the 2010 census & was estimated at 1200 recently - before this week, that is. So, it never left the ranks of "tiny".

After the dust settles, FEMA is finished with their work, and life goes back to normal, Mexico Beach ought to be a solid bargain for beach property. Unless too many people are thinking the same thing I am.

Mexico Beach had 1072 residents in the 2010 census & was estimated at 1200 recently - before this week, that is. So, it never left the ranks of "tiny".

After the dust settles, FEMA is finished with their work, and life goes back to normal, Mexico Beach ought to be a solid bargain for beach property. Unless too many people are thinking the same thing I am.

Too soon? However, that line of thought did cross my mind. As well as property in PR.

Reactions: surfnole
Sorry. Been busy the past 12-15 hours. We did alright in Walton County. Widespread power outages but no structural damage with the exception of a few businesses on the far southeastern part of the county. It's really amazing how well we did considering our proximity to the eye of the storm. I was told this morning that leaving Walton County into Bay on US98 that everything did fairly well until you get to Thomas Drive. It looks like a war zone after that. There is so much debris on the roads from both trees and buildings that the roads are impassable which is delaying the relief work.
Further north In Jackson County, Mariana took a major hit. They lost their EOC, Police and Fire stations. It was reported that Michael was still a Cat 3 60 miles inland. Some of the smaller more rural counties haven't been able to fully assess yet.
It's bad to our east folks. If there's a silver lining it's that the rebuilding should be good for the local economy for years to come.

Good to hear....be safe.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Is I-10 shut down up there? Was looking at google maps of the area and saw road closure notices on the interstate between defuniak and tally.

I heard that an 80 mile stretch was closed this a.m.
Hopefully that is because all 4 lanes are dedicated to power/telecom/relief crews and not damage to the road itself. They need that bloodline to be as easily passable as possible.

After seeing pictures & video of Mexico Beach, I am wondering how in the world the storm chaser that got stuck survived. Even if he was able to get into a house, high enough to escape the water, that house probably was damaged or destroyed. I would say he was extremely lucky and has one hell of a story to tell.

Hopefully that is because all 4 lanes are dedicated to power/telecom/relief crews and not damage to the road itself. They need that bloodline to be as easily passable as possible.
Maybe so, but the news report seemed to suggest that it was essentially impassable in large stretches.

What I'd read indicated it was to remove various debris. The article indicated it was passable but had branches & assorted junk all over the place, so they closed it down to clear all the junk completely.

It was closed both ways from Exit 85, DeFuniak Springs, to Exit 166, the first one east of the time line. The road was covered with debris. Not even the restoration crews were allowed on it.

It was closed both ways from Exit 85, DeFuniak Springs, to Exit 166, the first one east of the time line. The road was covered with debris. Not even the restoration crews were allowed on it.
Damn. How are they getting in? I bet hwys 98 and 20 didnt fare much better.

Nelson, Gillum, Scott, Desantis- "We are suspending our races to aid in recovery".

Nelson, Gillum, Scott, Desantis- Increase political ads and tv time while "not campaigning".

Reactions: goldmom
Nelson, Gillum, Scott, Desantis- "We are suspending our races to aid in recovery".

Nelson, Gillum, Scott, Desantis- Increase political ads and tv time while "not campaigning".

Who has time to campaign when there are so many juicy photo ops to be had.

Thankfully I have never been hit like those in the panhandle.

As someone who has been through it............to say it sucks is an understatement, I hope I never go through it again. But if I'm being honest, being stuck in Gulf Breeze for 3 days after Ivan, because all the bridges were out, sucked far worse than the ~6 hours in the attic because storm surge was flowing through the house (as crazy as this sounds, this was kind of awesome.......the power of mother nature is awesome).

One positive, we do not have to worry about him riding out another storm.

Yea, I'll never do it again..........but don't regret that I did.

Do you not get the Weather Channel? Jim Cantore is in Panama City. Or are you just not watching it?

hahaha Jim Cantore is in PCB because, in spite of himself, he doesn't want to be on ground zero. PCB was on the backside of the hurricane. Cantore and TWC are such showmen that comedy skits have mocked them.

I much prefer pictures of damages (rather than videos that force you to watch ads) than a "weatherman" allegedly getting pounded by wind while tourists stroll by.

All that being said, to date only one life was lost. That part of the Panhandle is a few beach town with hundreds of miles of pine trees inland. Those who live on the beach know the risks, and hopefully they have insurance.

It would have been a totally different story had this hurricane hit Miami or Tampa.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT