ADVERTISEMENT

Now Cat 4 Michael

I much prefer pictures of damages (rather than videos that force you to watch ads) than a "weatherman" allegedly getting pounded by wind while tourists stroll by.

They actually spoke about that during Micheal. MSNBC? was trying to explain how they try to shoot shots that show the wind and use the position of buildings to protect the camera crew etc. When Brian Williams? was speaking to it, my first thought was "Ha, he is defending the shot from the last hurricane that they have been getting laughed at."

http://www.fox29.com/news/weather-c...in-florence-winds-as-2-people-walk-behind-him

Reactions: surfnole
hahaha Jim Cantore is in PCB because, in spite of himself, he doesn't want to be on ground zero. PCB was on the backside of the hurricane. Cantore and TWC are such showmen that comedy skits have mocked them.

I much prefer pictures of damages (rather than videos that force you to watch ads) than a "weatherman" allegedly getting pounded by wind while tourists stroll by.

All that being said, to date only one life was lost. That part of the Panhandle is a few beach town with hundreds of miles of pine trees inland. Those who live on the beach know the risks, and hopefully they have insurance.

It would have been a totally different story had this hurricane hit Miami or Tampa.
I guess it would take multiple deaths for you to be impressed? Nice sentiment for those who lost everything they own.

I am calling BS on some of these videos. Especially those that are not in English and the storm victims looks Chinese/Philipino and they aren't speaking English or Spanish.

42518182_174209793489014_6885395612621498242_n.jpg

No....I don't like the sensationalism of TWC acting like they are in danger when in fact they are in none/little. They act like they are in the eye of the storm when they flee from the eye of the storm. I remember an SNL skit where a guy was broadcasting in six feet of water in the ocean waves to show how bad it is.

I feel bad for those who lost everything they own, but with the exception of pictures and sentimental momentos, everything else is just stuff/material things. Those living in Mexico Beach and near the coast know the risk, and all of them should have insurance to replace what they lost. If they don't, it's their choice.

This impact of Michael is nothing compared to Maria in Puerto Rico and nothing compared to what would have happened had this hurricane hit South Florida or Tampa, Jacksonville etc. As another poster mentioned, the population of Mexico beach is about 1200. Imagine this hurricane hitting a population of several million.

On a side note, I would love it if my house was demolished in a storm and I could walk away with an insurance check. I would just sell the land, but that is my own personal situation.
What a dick.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Power back on Pedrick (off Buck Lake) @1AM

I think it went off around 3PM when the storm rolled in.

No....I don't like the sensationalism of TWC acting like they are in danger when in fact they are in none/little. They act like they are in the eye of the storm when they flee from the eye of the storm. I remember an SNL skit where a guy was broadcasting in six feet of water in the ocean waves to show how bad it is.

I feel bad for those who lost everything they own, but with the exception of pictures and sentimental momentos, everything else is just stuff/material things. Those living in Mexico Beach and near the coast know the risk, and all of them should have insurance to replace what they lost. If they don't, it's their choice.

This impact of Michael is nothing compared to Maria in Puerto Rico and nothing compared to what would have happened had this hurricane hit South Florida or Tampa, Jacksonville etc. As another poster mentioned, the population of Mexico beach is about 1200. Imagine this hurricane hitting a population of several million.

On a side note, I would love it if my house was demolished in a storm and I could walk away with an insurance check. I would just sell the land, but that is my own personal situation.
That you would love for your house to be demolished tells me everything I need to know about you. Loser!

Uuh oh, this is gettin real.
https://www.mypanhandle.com/news/bcso-no-re-entry-allowed-except-for-relief-crews/1517072011

Not only are they not allowing entry into hard hit areas, but “they are concerned about looting and aren’t selling alcohol in the county.”
Better be concerned about armed rebellion...

I guess I would want them to help try to protect everyone's property, but having to watch the news cast for a drone view of your house just to see what is left would be very unfulfilling. And anything that might be saved could possibly be destroyed by not having it collected and addressed ASAP.

I guess I would want them to help try to protect everyone's property, but having to watch the news cast for a drone view of your house just to see what is left would be very unfulfilling. And anything that might be saved could possibly be destroyed by not having it collected and addressed ASAP.

Flip side is it becomes a motivating factor in people staying put when they'd be better off leaving for the storm.

Flip side is it becomes a motivating factor in people staying put when they'd be better off leaving for the storm.
Yep, this was a factor in my brother ridin* it out.
Bigger factors, however, were the speed of Michael and the fact that he was only a 2 or 3 just barely more than a day before impact, and the historic tendency for hurricanes to lose juice as they come ashore.
Michael joined Charlie as the only two in recorded data to gain strength coming ashore.

You are absolutely correct. I understand why people would think that way, but don't agree.

Speaking for my family, even if it was "just a CAT1", but coming in my direction with solid chance of nearby landfall, I'd take all the time to prep the house and empty as much as I might want to keep. Hope for the best but plan on the worst. Seeing how many homes are simply wiped off the map you just never know and this is one of those risks I wouldn't gamble on.

Seeing how many homes are simply wiped off the map you just never know and this is one of those risks I wouldn't gamble on.

With you on any place subject to the type of flooding you’re talking about that just clears foundations.
To me it’s nuts to ride out a storm on a place like Dog island or St George. You may have bad ass house on pilings, but then someone else’s 1950s shack will then get plowed into yours with untold tons of water shoving it - no thanks.

You are absolutely correct. I understand why people would think that way, but don't agree.

Speaking for my family, even if it was "just a CAT1", but coming in my direction with solid chance of nearby landfall, I'd take all the time to prep the house and empty as much as I might want to keep. Hope for the best but plan on the worst. Seeing how many homes are simply wiped off the map you just never know and this is one of those risks I wouldn't gamble on.
One good thing from this storm is that it's going to cause a whole bunch of people to rethink riding it out next time.

Reactions: NoleinATL
One good thing from this storm is that it's going to cause a whole bunch of people to rethink riding it out next time.
I hope it causes a serious rethink about rebuilding infrastructure in places and ways that are just gonna topple again. If you use Dog Island as an example, (and I hope this is accurate) aren’t those folks pretty much on their own as far as infrastructure and rebuild? They chose to be there and can choose to rebuild or not.
Other places are more mainstream with larger, more compact population centers and generate a tax base to justify rebuilds, but up to more current code.
Downtown PC is one thing, but remote regions should not just clean up debris, rebuild, and restring wires anymore. They should rebuild in a more robust fashion that is more in keeping with current abilities, or begin to basically shoulder their own load.

With you on any place subject to the type of flooding you’re talking about that just clears foundations.
To me it’s nuts to ride out a storm on a place like Dog island or St George. You may have bad ass house on pilings, but then someone else’s 1950s shack will then get plowed into yours with untold tons of water shoving it - no thanks.
I wonder how the 1950’s era places did compared to the 1970’s-1980’s ? Odds are, except that they were ground level, that the earlier places were more built for the long run. My dad’s cousin still enjoys a place along 98 between Carrabelle and East Point that has seen many neighbors come and go. Concrete block on slab, big overhangs, lots of screened windows, 2 x 6 framed openings, never cleared dunes.

Hearing Blountstown / Bristol and Marianna got blasted bad - not getting as much press as Mexico Beach and Panama City devastation. Tallahassee got lucky the eye went their way and was not a mere 50 miles east. It would have been devastating for us here.

Hearing Blountstown / Bristol and Marianna got blasted bad - not getting as much press as Mexico Beach and Panama City devastation. Tallahassee got lucky the eye went their way and was not a mere 50 miles east. It would have been devastating for us here.
I have been told downtown Mariana was hit hard. I believe it was still a Cat 3 when the eyewall went over them. When I was in our EOC, we were told Jackson County lost their EOC and Police and Fire departments.

I guess I would want them to help try to protect everyone's property, but having to watch the news cast for a drone view of your house just to see what is left would be very unfulfilling
Spoke to my friend this afternoon, he was able to make it back to his place in Youngstown. It was trashed. Half the roof was gone and garage collapsed on his truck. He was able to get to our office in PC off Airport Rd...said there are literally guys walking up and down the streets with AR15’s.

Last edited:
Spoke to my friend this afternoon, he was able to make it back to his place in Youngstown. It was trashed. Half the roof was gone and garage collapsed on his truck. He was able to get to our office in PC off Airport Rd...said there is literally guys walking up and down the streets with AR15’s.

That part is true. Marshall law was declared after a ton of looting went on the first day as there were banks, jewelry stores, pawnshops etc cracked WIDE open. One of my staff who is a former law enforcement officer and former soldier is currently staying at the facility to scare off looters.

Reactions: LandsharkNole
Just noticed the thread title change to Cat5. Did they reclassify it afterwards?

It took 22 years for Hurricane Andrew to be moved up in classification to a five. If this storm was 2 mph short, it won't take long before they find some evidence that it was actually a category 5 hurricane.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT