ADVERTISEMENT

Now Cat 4 Michael

He'll be lucky to live. I was in Shell Point Beach three weeks ago...there's a reason houses are up 30 feet off the ground.
Yeah, its been yrs since Ive been down that way to Cape San Blas, Alligator Pt, Shell Pt, area, but I remember it being some of the most remote parts of Fl Ive ever seen and Ive been to every Fl county's boonies.

If you're serious, spend a few minutes & look online at pics from Hurricane Ivan in Pensacola from 2004. It should give you at least some idea what things will be like in Panama City.
Had a buddy who lived on the beach in Pensacola when Ivan roared in. IIRC, nobody (including residents) was allowed back on the island for a few days; when he did get back out there a few days later to "begin to restore things" he started with shoveling a foot or so of sand out of the house.

My parents lived in one of the historic houses on “Admiral’s Row”. 7 plantation style homes built in like the 1850’s located on the military base. Beautiful two story homes with wrap around porches, only problem was there were about 1000 yards from the bay.

Ivan came, along with a 8’ storm surge and my parents lost EVERYTHING on the first floor. The houses were eventually demolished. And my family lost every family photo/video of our lives. There are only a handful of photos of me younger than 28 years old.

This sucks for everyone about to be impacted.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
EVX_loop.gif

almost ashore

The 10:15 CDT NHC briefing has the storm coming in between Panama City and Apalachicola in a few hours. Better for me. Potentially worse for Tally.
Is it just me, or does the concentration of the worst weather associated with this seem to be more on the left (west) side so far?

Is it just me, or does the concentration of the worst weather associated with this seem to be more on the left (west) side so far?

That will all wrap around eventually as it continues to move, could be rough for Tally....

That's because the north & east sides were already interacting with land while the west & south sides were still over water.

Reactions: LandsharkNole
Expect F-2/F-3 tornado-like damage in the eye wall even ten miles inland per Greg Postal....going to be very much like Andrew...

Another 7 MPH and it becomes Cat 5......pressure down to 923 MB (Andrew was 922)

No doubt, yet that has nothing to do with my response which you quoted , so what is your point ?

Just responding to the sub-thread of people in low laying places on the coast deciding to stay put with this storm bearing down.

Also, been watching radar and certainly seems since like 9:45 it has started to move more east-northeast or am I blind? Weather keeps saying north-northeast but not what I am seeing...PCB is still going to get whopped but maybe not as bad if it shifts (though that means Appalachicola is bye-bye and Tally gets worse)

Also, been watching radar and certainly seems since like 9:45 it has started to move more east-northeast or am I blind? Weather keeps saying north-northeast but not what I am seeing...PCB is still going to get whopped but maybe not as bad if it shifts (though that means Appalachicola is bye-bye and Tally gets worse)
Southeastern Bay County and Gulf County. Maybe around Mexico Beach

My bestie is in PCB, his house on Grand Lagoon and his job at FSU-PC. He said there hasn't been any drama yet, and they only lost power for a couple of minutes, it came right back on.

Stephanie Abrams actually left Port St Joe and went to PCB with Jim Cantore's crew because of safety concerns..looks like Mexico Beach and Port St Joe are going to get the eye. PCB is going to get alot of damage but maybe a little lucky (at the expense of the latter two places)

Stephanie Abrams actually left Port St Joe and went to PCB with Jim Cantore's crew because of safety concerns..looks like Mexico Beach and Port St Joe are going to get the eye. PCB is going to get alot of damage but maybe a little lucky (at the expense of the latter two places)

I just saw her reporting from the same location as Cantore and Reynolds Wolf. I wasn't sure if they moved for safety concerns or they thought PCB was going to take the direct hit.

I keep looking at the video they are showing if Indian Pass. I can't believe how much the water has come up there already, and it is only going to get worse in the next hour or two.

Yeh her crew was in a house there and as it started to shift more E-NE they got concerned. PCB may get a little lucky (though sure they will still get alot of damage). Tally may end up getting whacked hard

Latest advisory shows pressure of 919mb, so officially stronger than Andrew.

The Weather Channel shmoes in PCB all look fine. Winds only around 30mph. Where is the eye? It's allegedly coming ashore now. This is strange.

because as mentioned already the storm has shifted east about 40-45 miles...Mexico Beach and Port St Joe are about to get whacked and probably in next 30 minutes or so eye is coming ashore

The eye is still about an hour offshore. The worst winds are on the northwest side of the eye.
The NNW side appears to be precisely where the PCB folks are though.

The weather channel radar is showing the eye coming onshore basically now. Am I seeing something wrong?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT