ADVERTISEMENT

Now Cat 4 Michael

OK, in true lockerroom spirit, here's a dumb question: I'm supposed to fly home to Nashville from Tampa on 9 PM Wednesday night, which would likely place my flight path over the storm. Do commercial airliners typically alter their flight path, fly over the storm or cancel the flight altogether?
Nope, they just fly straight through them.

Nope, they just fly straight through them.

2a6157ae6d16f703f61a99065f4e97c7.jpg

FSU cancelled classes Tuesday through Thursday...(I think). My kids are planning to head home tomorrow morning...already gassed up the cars....Both of them have jobs and both jobs are telling them they need to be at work. We shall see.

FSU cancelled classes Tuesday through Thursday...(I think). My kids are planning to head home tomorrow morning...already gassed up the cars....Both of them have jobs and both jobs are telling them they need to be at work. We shall see.
I believe FSU, TCC, and Leon County Schools all closed through the whole week, re-opening on Monday, 10/15.

If you want a chance to have a laugh, watch the Governor's press conference from Pasco County that ended about 10 minutes ago. The sign language translator had the greatest facial expressions ever.

The Florida Panhandle Hurricane of 1894 Cat 3

1024px-October_9%2C_1894_hurricane_5_map.jpg

Made landfall today in 1894.

The fifth storm formed on October 1 and lasted until October 12. It formed to the northwest of the Panama Canal, tracked northwest, and struck the Florida Panhandle with winds of 120 mph (190 km/h), equivalent to a major hurricane on the Saffir–Simpson hurricane scale. It tracked through Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, and Canada. The hurricane caused about $1,000,000 in damage (1894 USD).

Reactions: noleone99
The Florida Panhandle Hurricane of 1894 Cat 3

1024px-October_9%2C_1894_hurricane_5_map.jpg

Made landfall today in 1894.

The fifth storm formed on October 1 and lasted until October 12. It formed to the northwest of the Panama Canal, tracked northwest, and struck the Florida Panhandle with winds of 120 mph (190 km/h), equivalent to a major hurricane on the Saffir–Simpson hurricane scale. It tracked through Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, and Canada. The hurricane caused about $1,000,000 in damage (1894 USD).
I wonder if Cantore’s great-grandfather was down at Alligator Point for that one?

Our EOC director wants so badly for this storm to hit Walton County directly. I understand it's situations like this that justifies his job but the dude is wishing it on us. I just told him to stop. The rest of us weren't as eager to be without power.
Kinda Weather Channel, “look at us” ness. I love storms, but do not wish for them to knock people off of their norms. Too many folks in today’s world are barely getting by. We as a society are seemingly OK with less fortunate being vulnerable to basically any disruption throwing them into crisis.
Truly tho, if I was the only one impacted, I would say “ bring it!”

Kinda Weather Channel, “look at us” ness. I love storms, but do not wish for them to knock people off of their norms. Too many folks in today’s world are barely getting by. We as a society are seemingly OK with less fortunate being vulnerable to basically any disruption throwing them into crisis.
Truly tho, if I was the only one impacted, I would say “ bring it!”
Watching WU, it appears that the eye may pass directly through Walton/Okaloosa.

Watching WU, it appears that the eye may pass directly through Walton/Okaloosa.
The local weather tiger guy seems to say that if it hits Destin or west we will have Irma like weather. If it’s PC or east could be hermine like. If it’s St Marks could be Kate like.

Unless it's shifted a bunch since the last NWS conference call at 4:45 CDT, Panama City is in the crosshairs.
WU needs to update their respective U.S & Euro models they're currently displaying then.

To clarify, my wife, who got the message, is in Tally. I am currently some 800 miles away in Huntington, WV. I have to supervise some pre-planned work on our house up here and the Missus had an obligation in Tally this past weekend so she stayed home. Gonna be nervous up here watching the storm blow through with her down there. We’ve got friends to help out if it comes to that.

The path is for it to turn short of getting to Walton and go into Bay. Of course, it could change 5 times before now and Wednesday afternoon.
Exactly, we all know these CANES have a mind of their own. I’m not sure what to make of this yet, I only wonder how much stronger Mr. Michael will get. Only fitting he shows up in October with the new Halloween movie coming out. :eek:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT