ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 16 The Valero Texas Open

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • Mickelson-Halleran-847.jpg
    Phil Mickelson will tee it up in the Valero Texas Open. (Scott Halleran/Getty Images)
• FULL FIELD: Valero Texas Open

• COURSE: TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks), 7,435 yards, par 72. One of two courses that winds through Texas Hill Country just north of San Antonio, the Oaks opened in 2010 and actually presents a tougher challenge than the neighboring Canyons course built by Pete Dye. Designed by Greg Norman, with an assist from Sergio Garcia, the Oaks features narrow fairways, bunkers as deep as 12 feet and native vegetation where unplayable lies loom. Four years ago, Kevin Na recorded a 16 at the par-4 ninth hole after struggling to free himself from rocks and underbrush.

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

• CHARITY: Valero Texas Open Benefit for Children, which last year became the fourth PGA TOUR event to top $100 million in charitable giving since the event's inception. The tournament annually ranks among the PGA TOUR’s top five in charitable giving, raising $10.4 million for San Antonio-area charities last year.

• FIELD WATCH: Defending champion Jimmy Walker and fellow Texan Patrick Reed head up a roster that features nine of the top 30 players in the current rankings. At No.11, Reed will be the highest ranked in the lineup. ... Matt Kuchar and Hall of Famers Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els were late additions, adding their names within the final 72 hours before the deadline. Mickelson makes his third straight visit; Kuchar will make it five in a row. ... Bryson DeChambeau, low amateur at the Masters who made his pro debut at the RBC Heritage, tees it up again at TPC San Antonio. ... Oklahoma freshman Brad Dalke, last year's Junior PGA Championship winner, will test his skills against PGA TOUR competition for the first time.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 254, Tommy Armour III (2003 at LaCantera). TPC San Antonio record: 274, Adam Scott (2010), Martin Laird (2013).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 60, Bart Bryant (3rd round, 2004 at LaCantera), Zach Johnson (3rd round, 2009 at LaCantera). TPC San Antonio record: 63, Matt Every (1st round, 2012), Martin Laird (4th round, 2013).

• LAST YEAR: Walker became the season's first two-time winner, staving off a hard-charging Spieth to emerge with a four-stroke victory when the event was played two weeks before the Masters. Spieth found himself seven shots back with eight holes left in his round, but reeled off four consecutive birdies to put the pressure on his fellow Texan. However, Walker made back-to-back birdies putts of more than 15 feet at Nos. 16 and 17 on the way to a closing 70 that sealed the outcome. Walker finished at 11-under 277 at a venue just 35 miles from his home. Combined with his romp at the Sony Open in Hawaii, he ended a 20-event run -- nearly half the season -- before the PGA TOUR saw a multiple winner.

• STORYLINES: Mickelson keeps his break short after missing the cut at the Masters, teeing it up again just two weeks after his premature exit from Augusta National. He's still looking for his first top-25 at TPC San Antonio, having withdrawn from his first visit and tying for 30th last year. … Charley Hoffman has finished among the top 15 nine times in his previous 10 visits to the Valero Texas Open, including a runner-up finish in 2011. However, he's still looking for that elusive first win in San Antonio. … DeChambeau is using his second sponsor exemption of the spring, seeking to earn enough FedExCup points to exceed No.150 on last year's points list. If he does, he'll be granted Special Temporary Membership. ... Walker will seek to become the third man this century to win back-to-back VTO titles, joining Justin Leonard (2000-01) and Zach Johnson (2008-09).

• SHORT CHIPS: After three years of being played before the Masters, the Valero Texas Open shifts back into an April berth. The even has been a wild card since moving into the spring schedule, also played in May. … Garcia again won’t tee it up on the course he helped design, having played the event just once since it relocated. ... A handful of PGA TOUR players and their wives will take part in a new "Game Show Night" fundraiser on Monday evening, with competitions scheduled in Family Feud, The (Not So) Newlywed Game and Win, Lose & Draw.

• TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 3-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1-2:30 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (CBS).

• PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. ET (featured groups), 3-6 p.m. (featured holes).

• RADIO: Thursday-Friday, noon-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

And we arrive in Texas, of course the big news is the greatest correct handed golfer of all time is signed on to play, so this is automatically a great week for golf..

Congratulations to last weeks winner fsuTampa
For the year
DFS still with the lead
does Ed have a big week to take the lead?
Leader%20through%20RBC_zps1grkidhb.png

good luck this week

Last edited:
Kevin Na
Ryan Palmer
Jordan Spieth
Jimmy Walker

Big week? Maybe. But I remember leading for the longest time a couple of years ago, only to
fall by the wayside in the end. Sigh.

So CMan decided to go all Tiger Woods on us & drop out mid-event because he sucks....errrrr....OOOOOOOH My arm, I think it's broken!

Hoffman, Holmes, Jacobson, Walker

I would like to give myself a big pat on the back for picking Jimmy Walker this week. It seems I can never catch him at the right time as he currently stands at +3 and isn't finished with round one yet.

Wow. If golf tournaments lasted one round, Charley Hoffman would be the #1 player in the world.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
couple guys out early with low rounds pressing Barnes for the lead

Reed, Chappell, Hoffman and Grace all within top 7 among our picks this week

Bobcat's looking good for the win according to my rudimentary math skills.

I considered him for my team this week, but did not pick him. But that was a clutch putt Hoffman made. His reaction when the ball was about to roll in the hole was great. Nice to see him get a win.

Nice win for Hoffman , clutch putt

Congratulations to this weeks winner
Bobcat
Valero%20Winner_zps3zrenvwg.png

will post updated leader board shortly

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT