ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 19 The Players Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • Sawgrass847.jpg
    The sun sets behind the iconic 17th green at TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. (Scott Kunath/PGA TOUR)
• COURSE: TPC Sawgrass (Stadium), 7,215 yards, par 72. Celebrating its 35th year as home of the PGA TOUR’s flagship event, the Stadium course deftly tests all parts of a player’s game and plays no favorites. Built from 415 acres of wooded wetlands bought for $1 by then-commissioner Deane Beman, architect Pete Dye took care to ensure no two consecutive holes play in the same direction, doglegs were created in both directions and the course offers both short and long holes at every par. No hole, though, gets more attention than its shortest – the 137-yard 17th over water to a green connected to land only by narrow pathway from the back left.

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 600 points.

• CHARITY: More than 300 Northeast Florida charities receive assistance from THE PLAYERS, among them Wolfson Children’s Hospital, American Cancer Society and Epilepsy Foundation of Florida. Last year’s event raised a record $8.1 million for charity, bringing its total to more than $75 million since it settled at TPC Sawgrass 37 years ago.

• FIELD WATCH: FedExCup leader Adam Scott, World No.1 Jason Day and No. 2 Jordan Spieth join defending champion Rickie Fowler to head up what is annually one of the year’s deepest lineups. The roster features 46 of the top 50 in the world ranking, with Valspar Championship winner Charl Schwartzel and Lee Westwood the notable absences. ... Jim Furyk, who lives minutes from TPC Sawgrass, makes just his second start following a seven-month layoff to resolve a wrist injury. He owns four top-5 finishes at THE PLAYERS, including runner-up two years ago. … One additional berth is available for the winner of this week’s Wells Fargo Championship, if he hasn’t already qualified.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 264, Greg Norman (1994).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 63, Fred Couples (3rd round, 1992), Greg Norman (1st round, 1994), Roberto Castro (1st round, 2013), Martin Kaymer (1st round, 2014).

• LAST YEAR: Fowler fashioned perhaps the greatest Sunday in the event’s 42-year history – erasing a five-shot deficit over the final six holes and prevailing in a three-man, four-hole playoff with his third birdie of the day at No.17. Fowler needed just 11 shots over his final four holes of regulation, carding birdie/eagle/birdie/birdie to set a new low for the four-hole Sawgrass finish. That only got him into an aggregate playoff with Sergio Garcia and Kevin Kisner, who needed their own clutch shots down the stretch to get in. All three parred No.16 on the first extra hole, and Kisner matched Fowler’s birdie at No.17. Garcia was eliminated after the 18th, sending Fowler and Kisner back to the 17th tee. Kisner’s gutsy tee shot settled 12 feet away – only to be outdone when Fowler stuck his shot just inside 5 feet on the riskier right side. Kisner missed his birdie try, and Fowler’s make sealed his first PGA TOUR victory in three years.

• STORYLINES: Fowler, ranked No.5 in the world, naturally faces a tough followup to last year’s heroics. Though he won in Abu Dhabi and lost a playoff in Phoenix, he arrived at the Wells Fargo Championship without a victory on U.S. soil since last September. Also, THE PLAYERS has never crowned a back-to-back champion. … Spieth makes his first start since his Sunday collapse at the Masters, when he took a five-shot lead to the back nine and was exited Amen Corner trailing by four. The 22-year-old Texan said this week he has no lingering nightmares. … New Masters champion Danny Willett also makes his first start since donning the Green Jacket at Augusta National. It’ll be just his second encounter with TPC Sawgrass, having missed the cut last year.

• SHORT CHIPS: A total of 45 balls splashed down in the water surrounding No.17 last year, right on average since the PGA TOUR began keeping count 13 years ago. That followed an all-time low of 28 wet finishes the year before. The record is 93, when the event first moved to May in 2007. … Fowler’s heroics last year aside, Paul Azinger (1987) is the only man to birdie No.17 in all four regulation rounds. … Last year’s finish marked the eighth time in the past nine editions that the 54-hole leader did not go on to win THE PLAYERS. Martin Kaymer was the lone exception, holding off Furyk in fading light two years ago.

• TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 1-7 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 2-7 p.m. (NBC).

• PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m. (featured groups), 9 a.m.-7 p.m. (featured holes). Saturday-Sunday, 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m. (featured groups), noon-7 p.m. (featured holes).

• RADIO: Thursday-Friday, noon-7 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 1-7 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

The PGSF makes it last stop in Florida at The Players Champion at sawgrass. Always a fun tournament to watch with an excellent field

No real movement on the overall leader board,
DFS still leading the way
Leader%20Through%20Wells_zpsqch8bv9z.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

No reason to mess around here...

Day
McIlroy
Spieth
Willett

That was pretty ugly to watch Spieth do that.

The flip side was Day who has not really done all that well at Sawgrass, Until today of course. DOH!!!!!

Daniel and Brooks are -6 after 1st round. Jonas is -5, so young noles are having a good tournament.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Rory's first 7 holes today on the back 9 today: Birdie, Birdie, Birdie, Birdie, Par, Birdie, Eagle

That's better than most.

I have had Jonas on my team evey week since I started picking . The one time I didn't pick him, he is one off the lead and might have a good chance to win the damn thing. Oh well,I still wish him and the other young noles the best of luck!!

The PGA has lost the greens. They are ridiculous. Don't know that watering them tonight will be enough.
I'm not an expert who spends a lot of time at a country club or whatnot, but I don't understand how the greens got a lot faster after it rained yesterday. It seems to me the groundskeepers must have done something (as directed, of course) to go out of their way to make the playing conditions more difficult.

Don't care what he says publicly, Spieth is still feeling the effects of #12 at Augusta.

Apparently. He is not playing anywhere near like he did last season. Tough to duplicate that but there were some strange shots for him in those two rounds.

Russell Knox with a 9 on 17. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!

Don't care what he says publicly, Spieth is still feeling the effects of #12 at Augusta.

agreed, and I think people who thought he would just bounce right back under played how much 12 would affect anyone, even one as cool acting as Spieth

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Russell Knox pissed away some dough by insisting on hitting from the tee 3 times before going to the drop area. But sure won himself a legion of fans there for his stubbornness.

Russell Knox pissed away some dough by insisting on hitting from the tee 3 times before going to the drop area. But sure won himself a legion of fans there for his stubbornness.

more importantly, he cost me a bunch of dang points :mad:
but I did enjoy the Tin Cup feel to the shots

Has Day turned into a douche bag (on the course) since he's been under the tutelage of Tiger or is it just my imagination?

Could have been an exciting day if anyone in that -9 group could have made a charge as Day was definitely struggling with his game early

Day with the wire to wire win, there was an opening today for an exciting round, but Day closed the door once he righted the ship on the back nine.

Congrats to this weeks PGSF co champs
DFS ( the winning number explains everything) Liz and fsuTampa

Players%20Champ_zpsehqzbc8f.png

will post updated leader board shortly

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT