PGSF FedEx Cup Week 27 The 3M Open

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • Koepka-Swing-847-Getty.jpg

INSIDE THE PGA TOUR
    Three TOUR stops in the Midwest
Brooks Koepka and Phil Mickelson headline the field as Minnesota celebrates its first regular PGA TOUR event in a half-century, enjoying elevated status for what previously was one of the most popular stops on the PGA TOUR Champions.

Jason Day and Patrick Reed also fill out the roster that features 11 of the top 30 men in the latest FedExCup standings for the inaugural 3M Open, as the TPC Twin Cities unveils a bolder layout in anticipation of testing some of the TOUR’s top talent.

FIELD NOTES: Minnesota natives Tom Lehman – who helped design TPC Twin Cities and oversaw its upgrades – and Tim Herron help commemorate the event’s new chapter by teeing it up via sponsor exemptions. … The projected lineup features 11 of the top 30 men in the latest FedExCup standings. … Koepka, Mickelson, Reed, Ryan Moore and Jimmy Walker give the event five members of the 2016 U.S. Ryder Cup winners at nearby Hazeltine. … Viktor Hovland makes his third straight start as a pro since rewriting the U.S. Open’s scoring record for an amateur. Former Oklahoma State teammate Matthew Wolff likewise is making his third pro start, as is former USC standout Justin Suh.

Field
https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/3m-open/field.html

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

STORYLINES: After embracing a PGA TOUR Champions event, two major championships and the Ryder Cup in the past 17 years, Minnesota finally has a PGA TOUR event that will put down roots. The 3M Open marks the TOUR’s first regular stop in the state since the Minnesota Golf Classic played its last edition in 1969. Raymond Floyd, Mike Souchak and Frank Beard were among those winners. … Brooks Koepka, who won the PGA Championship and was second in the year’s other two majors, hopes to right the ship in a regular event. His past two non-majors have seen him finish outside the top 40. Koepka did win earlier this season at THE CJ CUP @ NINE BRIDGES and ranks second in the FedExCup. … A top-7 performance also would lift Koepka past Matt Kuchar into the FedExCup points lead. … The 3M Open is the second event in as many years to receive a PGA TOUR promotion from another circuit. Last year, the Corales Puntacana Championship made the jump from the Korn Ferry Tour.

COURSE: TPC Twin Cities, 7,468 yards, par 71. Recently upgraded in anticipation of the PGA TOUR’s arrival, the longtime Champions venue north of Minneapolis first opened in 2000 and was widely considered one of that circuit’s top layouts. The Arnold Palmer design, with Tom Lehman as a consultant, transformed a former sod farm into a rolling landscape featuring 27 bodies of water, restoring several natural wetlands while framing holes with stands of mature oak and spruce trees. The 3M Championship came to TPC Twin Cities in 2001, enjoying an 18-year run on site. In each of the past seven years, TPC Twin Cities ranked first or second in birdies among 54-hole Champions stops.

54-HOLE RECORD (Champions): 191, David Frost (2010).

18-HOLE RECORD (Champions): 60, Paul Goydos (2nd round, 2017), Kenny Perry (2nd round, 2018).

LAST YEAR: Perry closed the event’s PGA TOUR Champions chapter with his third victory in Minnesota, using a second-round 60 to open a five-shot lead before cruising to a three-shot triumph. A 3-under-par 69 was all Perry needed to finish things off, keeping Wes Short Jr.’s closing 63 at arm’s length. Perry also won at TPC Twin Cities in 2014 and ’15, matching Hale Irwin’s standard of three wins in the Champions event. It also was the seventh time in eight appearances that Perry had finished among the top seven at TPC Twin Cities. “It's going to be so long next year, I probably won't even recognize it when I come back,” he quipped.

HOW TO FOLLOW

TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 2-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1-2:45 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (CBS).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m. (featured groups). Saturday-Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m. (featured groups), 3-6 p.m. (featured holes). International subscribers (via GOLF.tv): Thursday-Friday, 12:00 to 22:30 GMT. Saturday-Sunday, 13:30 to 22:00.

RADIO: Thursday-Friday, noon-6 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

The new schedule and tournament names are starting to throw me off.

Congratulations again to last weeks winner @Tom81

@Bill From Tampa continues to lead as we head into July

262e79c9-f306-495d-8f20-f3736003ad25-original.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Please note this weeks field is listed under field and in bold :)

Reactions: NoleLizards
My coworkers husband played this course a few weeks ago. He told me it was hard and hilly. Hopefully it will be more competitive on Sunday for the first time in 3 weeks.

Reactions: NoleinATL
J Niemann
B DeChambeau
V Hovland
H Matsuyama

Last edited:
Craptastic. With all the people coming to town to run the Peachtree at my house, and all the holiday celebration, I forgot to make picks. I asked the Stupid Stick why I didn't get a reminder from him; it said it saw those reminders posted in the threads and assumed I'd get one. I told it only special people seem to get those tips, and I don't think I qualify.

I can't even bear to look and see if any my rollovers are even entered.

Oh well, it's not like I was gonna catch Bill anyhoo.

Craptastic. With all the people coming to town to run the Peachtree at my house, and all the holiday celebration, I forgot to make picks. I asked the Stupid Stick why I didn't get a reminder from him; it said it saw those reminders posted in the threads and assumed I'd get one. I told it only special people seem to get those tips, and I don't think I qualify.

NO!!! Blast that rod of knowledge!! :mad: Better run, that one...wait til you get your hands on him. :( That may be the last time he lets you down.

You would definetly qualify for a reminder I just. missed you not making picks as you are usually one of the first.
Send me an email ( username at gmail) or follow on twitter @pgsffedexcup and I will send a reminder if i see you miss picks ( that goes for everyone)

While Bryson DCBow makes it a birdie-fest...:eek:

Who said golf was hard again...?? Of course my last birdie came at a putt-putt here at home, about 14 years ago, and it went out of business. One of those 'paved paradise and put up a parking lot (Condo development)' things. Ruined the greatest 9 hole achievement of my adult life.
sad0017.gif

Why oh why do I continue to pick Jason Day? If it's true that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, then I must be bat chit crazy! o_O

Reactions: Nolerball
Koepka can say all he wants about how he takes every tourney seriously, but clearly he only focuses on the majors. That triple on 17 today, the DB on 18 yesterday and the day before shows that.

That was a great weekend by Wolff. Follow up a Saturday 62 with a Sunday 65, you deserve a win as you earned it. The kid has a heck of a swing.

In the PGSF, we had a good ole blind squirrel finds a nut week as yours truly stumbled into a couple lucks picks and got the win

9333e5fe-bf32-4ba2-957a-72ab8d3a74be-original.png

Will post updated leader board shortly

Why oh why do I continue to pick Jason Day? If it's true that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, then I must be bat chit crazy! o_O
I took him as well. His made cuts % was a concern to me but I thought he might play well in this tourney. Obviously that logic was rather specious.
I only picked him cause y’all did... Well done ATL...

Reactions: NoleinATL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT