ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 31 The Travelers Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
firstlook847_TPCR.jpg

• Bubba Watson captured victory at TPC River Highlands in 2015 and returns in 2016 seeking another win. (Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

• COURSE: TPC River Highlands, 6,841 yards, par 70. River Highlands is actually the third layout on this bluff overlooking the Connecticut River, where the game has been played since 1928. Pete Dye gave the site a complete renovation when he arrived in 1982, and Bobby Weed added an upgrade seven years later in consultation with former PGA TOUR pros Howard Twitty and Roger Maltbie. Nos. 15-17 play around a four-acre lake, helping create a finish considered among the most exciting on TOUR. Peter Jacobsen triumphed when the Greater Hartford Open relocated there in 1984, then turned back the clock 19 years later to win it again.

Field ....
http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/travelers-championship/field.html

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

• CHARITY: New England Charities, which has given more than $33 million to various organizations since its formation in 1952. This year’s list tops 180 charities, including the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, The First Tee of Connecticut, Yale New Haven Children’s Hospital and the Mark Twain Museum.

• FIELD WATCH: World No. 6 Bubba Watson and Paul Casey, last year’s playoff combatants, head a roster that features 12 of the top 30 in the Official World Golf Rankings. … No. 12 Branden Grace, No. 14 Patrick Reed and No. 15 Louis Oosthuizen also help create a strong top of the lineup. … Jon Rahm, whose share of second at the RBC Canadian Open clinched special temporary status for the rest of the season, is among four freshly minted pros in the field. He’s joined by recent collegians Lee McCoy (Georgia), Robby Shelton (Alabama) and Jordan Niebrugge (Oklahoma State). … Also playing on special temporary status is Bryson DeChambeau, who tied for fourth in his pro debut at the RBC Heritage.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 258, Kenny Perry (2009).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 60, Tommy Bolt (2nd round, 1954 at Wethersfield CC), Patrick Cantlay (2nd round, 2011).

• LAST YEAR: Watson staved off a fast-closing Casey for his eighth PGA TOUR win, though he needed to go two playoff holes to accomplish it. Watson held a three-shot advantage with five holes left, but a bogey at River Highlands’ 17th hole opened the door when Casey birdied three of his last five to finish off a 65. After both parred the first playoff hole, Casey stumbled on the third play at No.18 when his third shot from a greenside bunker flew the green and landed on a cart path. Watson’s wedge from 160 yards came to rest 8 feet from the hole, setting up the clinching birdie. The victory improved Watson’s record to 5-1 in playoffs, including a three-way playoff at the 2010 Travelers for his first TOUR trimph.

• STORYLINES: Six of the past 10 Travelers winners have made it their first, including four in a row from Watson’s 2010 triumph to Ken Duke in 2013. … River Highlands will feature 56 players who teed it up at Baltusrol for this week’s PGA Championship. With the Travelers in its usual post-U.S. Open slot, three of its past six winners did not play the major a week earlier. … Six players are set to go from River Highlands to Rio de Janeiro for the Olympic Tournament, including three-fourths of the U.S. team: Watson, Reed and Matt Kuchar.

• SHORT CHIPS: Just four New Englanders have won in Hartford, though two came back-to-back in 2005 (Brad Faxon) and 2006 (J.J. Henry). The others are Paul Azinger (1987, ’89) and Bob Toski (1953) ... In the tournament’s 63-year history, only Phil Mickelson (2001-02) has managed to win it back-to-back. … Actor Kevin Nealon and and ESPN’s Chris Berman top the marquee for the Wednesday celebrity pro-am. That lineup also includes former Heisman Trophy winner Doug Flutie, two-time NBA champion Ray Allen and former UConn basketball coach Jim Calhoun.

• TELEVISION:Thursday-Friday, 3-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1-2:30 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (CBS).

• PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 7 a.m.-3 p.m. (featured groups), 3-6 p.m. (featured holes). Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. (featured holes).

• RADIO: Thursday-Friday, noon-6 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

What a year of majors , every one had a first time winner and each had great drama , this year has been as good or better than last.

Congratulations to last weeks winner Bill

The PGSF moves into the final stretch with a stop in CT for the Travelers
Not much change in leader board, DFS still in his usual spot

Leader%20through%20PGA_zps4ff0yul8.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Brooks Koepka

Daniel Summerhouse

Paul Casey

Branden Grace

I see where the auto spell chech changed Summerhays to Summerhouse. Technology really gets in the way of communication.

Last edited:
W Simpson
M Leishman
F Jacobson
B Watson

The fall of Tiger having ripple effects?

Watching GC this AM talking about this story, according to the report Nike only managed to gain 3% of the golf club market after 10 years in it. So they figured it was not worth the resources spent and will concentrate on their core business.

Koepka, John Rahm, Russell Knox, Nick Taylor

Posted by SeaPA Thursday, August 4, at 3 a.m. o_O

Watching GC this AM talking about this story, according to the report Nike only managed to gain 3% of the golf club market after 10 years in it. So they figured it was not worth the resources spent and will concentrate on their core business.

I agree that the quality of their products was quite good. Interesting that they're bailing, and apparently doing so by just shutting it down. That's the problem with having run it under the Nike name, they don't really have the option to sell the business, even though it's successful (just not as successful as they want).

Adidas is also exiting the golf equipment market (they've owned TaylorMade for around 20 years, but announced earlier this summer that they are in the process of selling it).

Koepka, John Rahm, Russell Knox, Nick Taylor

Posted by SeaPA Thursday, August 4, at 3 a.m. o_O

Obviously, I forgot to make my picks this week & posted this way too late this morning. If late entries are ok I may want to revise these choices later this afternoon, since a couple of these guys gave back a few shots late in their round.

I think the only carryover pick of mine that's in the field this week is Oosty. I need a really good week from him. :mad:

Reactions: seminoleed
Don't understand why I'm not getting alerts for this thread. Unfortunately, I don't have any of my brilliant insights to offer at his moment.

:rolleyes:

I see where we still have quality golf without the olympic guys. It is refreshing to see. Pro golf is in good shape.

I wholeheartedly agree with the guys bypassing the olympics. Security and the health environment concerns make the passing decision more prudent in my opinon.

Reactions: Bill From Tampa
So I turn on the TV to the GC only to be presented with "Channel not available, try again later". 45 min later .... same message.

Every other channel I can watch, but the one channel I want to watch I can't.

This happens far too often with Brighthouse.

I love Brighthouse ..................... NOT!!!!

Would it hurt your feelings if I told you I'm not having any issues on DTV? At least not until we get our usual afternoon rains.

No it would not. At some point we are going to have to dump B. But the options are somewhat limited.

hard to imagine he shot that 58 with a par on 13

disappointing start to back nine for Berger, got to turn it around quick

Nice win for Knox, but the story of the day is Furyk. What a round , had legitimate shot at 56 , just unreal front nine 27. No disrespect to Knox, but this day is all about the 58.

Side note for us, what do we make of Liz picking Furyk and him having that round. Is this an Anakin embraces the dark side kind of moment for Furyk? Or is this just some fluke, that Furyk beat back this kind of power?

Not conincidentally, congratulations to this weeks winner

NoleLizards

Travelers%20Winner_zpsufaqcebq.png

will post updated leader board shortly

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT