ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 31 The Travelers Championship

Reactions: Bobcat07
I've shot 58 every time I've ever played. Only question is how many holes I have left when I get to 58.

We actually have something in common with the pros. Other than Furyk, every single pro has been in the same situation. :D

I think the reference point should be how shots under par and not so much just the final score. Every announcer was making a huge deal of Streb's 63 at the PGA. But on a par 70, it was nowhere near as impressive as Stenson's at The Open on a par 72 course.

While I generally agree, it's also true that it is often more difficult to shoot more under par on a par 70 than on a par 72. On a typical par 72, there are 4 par 5s, 4 par 3s, and 10 par 4s. Most of the time, on a par 70 it's 2 par 5s, 4 par 3s, and 12 par 4s. Pros are far, far more likely to birdie a par 5 than another hole (this year, Rory is leading the tour in % of birdie or better on par 5s at almost 55%, and everyone in the top 100 is over 40%; the leader in % birdie or better on par 4s is at 21%, the leader on 3s is under 19%).

So a par 70 is going to give up less birdies than a par 72.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT