ADVERTISEMENT

Pulling down the mask

chrisnole

Seminole Insider
Feb 4, 2004
It looks like several coaches this week had a mask on but pulled them down when talking to other coaches or players. If MN was doing that we will have a group that will test positive.
I think you need 58 to play but not sure

Reactions: James_Nole
Look, masks have a role to play, but it is idiotic to think that simply because someone who tests positive for covid pulls his mask down and therefore will infect everyone he talks to. The virus isn't that contagious, not nearly as contagious as the flu (time for a flu shot by the way), and that's a fact. Especially outside, the virus is not as contagious. I'm not saying don't wear a mask, I do and you should, but it is really a tiny bandaid on the problem. Further, and most important, even if you test positive for Covid you may not be contagious. It depends on how much virus you have. If your positive result did not happen until the end of the cycles, like after the 30th cycle (and American labs spin either 37 or 40 cycles), then you are not at all likely to get sick and you are not contagious. Between 30 and 50% of positives come after the 30th cycle and are counted as "cases", even though they are almost meaningless. (It is true that a tiny fraction found after the 30th cycle might have just started to contract the virus and therefore could be sick and could be contagious, but it's too complicated to go further with this.)

This is patently false. Not only are cloth masks useful for lowering spread to others, but they also can minimize severity of COVID's impact if contracted.

Please do research before posting about masks.
Bahaha so you’re telling me you can still get covid but it won’t be as bad if you had a mask? I don’t know where people get this info but it’s quite comical Smh

This is patently false. Not only are cloth masks useful for lowering spread to others, but they also can minimize severity of COVID's impact if contracted.

Are you telling me that if I contract a virus from someone wearing a mask the severity of the virus will be less? Not trying to argue because I dont care enough. Just wondering if thats what you meant.

Not wrong at all. Do your research
You actually are wrong. The N95 is an awesome mask, but some people are actually making mask that do make a difference, I myself included. I am making 2-ply mask made out of SilverPlus fabric that is treated with a DWR. Everything that is on the internet is not always true when you are doing your research.

I believe he is referring to the viral load you receive being lower and therefore causing less sickness. I think there has been quite a bit of discussion to that effect. I do agree though that it’s n95 or bust if you want to prevent covid. I bought like 75 of them on eBay when this whole thing started. I’m in a line of work where I should be getting them for my contact with others but we were given only 1 each.

Reactions: fsu1999champs
Bahaha so you’re telling me you can still get covid but it won’t be as bad if you had a mask? I don’t know where people get this info but it’s quite comical Smh
Great question.
Yes, if you were to contract fewer virus, which a cloth face covering can achieve, there is evidence that the lower viral load can minimize the severity of COVID.

Reactions: ropo
Are you telling me that if I contract a virus from someone wearing a mask the severity of the virus will be less? Not trying to argue because I dont care enough. Just wondering if thats what you meant.
I assuming it could work both ways, however, I think the research on this was focused on looking at the impact of the wearer who contracted it.

Wearing a cloth face covering, diaper, or Vera Bradley mask... That crap ain't doing anything. I hope we are nearing the point where the majority of people will stop with this facade of wearing "t-shirts" over our faces.

N95... That potentially is a different story. But they are expensive (relatively speaking). And most people aren't wearing those.

BTW, if you look, there are some studies linking 24-7 mask wearing with health issues for the wearer.

single layer cloth fashion masks and neck gaiters aren't doing a damn thing to help anyone - heck, neck gaiters have actually been tested to increase the possibiity of contracting the pathogen over no mask at all.

double layer cloth is more helpful but still woeful compared to a properly fitted N95 mask. the relevant studies all existed pre-covid but i suppose it's ok to ignore them when narrative takes over?

just have to love the ridiculousness in that, without masks, entire football leagues can play hundreds of games, 200 cyclists just snot and spit their way around france, college and pro football players have their faces inches apart on the field, but we still need to lose our minds and impose hefty fines because a head coach is doing his job, usually with 20 feet of clear space in front of him?

Reactions: flnole

Masks lessen the spread of aerosol particles in your breath. It is the aerosols that promote the spread. Google FAU engineers face masks. They used lasers to measure aerosol spread with and without a mask. A mask AND social distancing is effective.

Masks lessen the spread of aerosol particles in your breath. It is the aerosols that promote the spread. Google FAU engineers face masks. They used lasers to measure aerosol spread with and without a mask. A mask AND social distancing is effective.
lessening the spread and lowering the risk of getting it via masks is very different than saying you'll get a lower level of the virus and have a better case. Haven't heard even the most die hard mask community confirm that

The research is in a thread in the locker room titled “Studies on Effectiveness of Masks” . There you can 𝐅𝐢𝐧𝐝 an article that list studies from organizations like the CDC, WHO, New England Journal of Medicine, University of Illinois, to name a few. They all conducted studies and all came to the same conclusion; that masks do not alter the spread of COVID. In the article, there are links to each of the studies so you can read them for yourself. So now you can educate yourself. Just because people say the something repetitively doesn’t make it more true.

Last edited:
The research is in a thread in the locker room titled “Studies on Effectiveness of Masks” . There you can 𝐅𝐢𝐧𝐝 an article that list studies from organizations like the CDC, WHO, New England Journal of Medicine, University of Illinois, to name a few. They all conducted studies and all came to the same conclusion; that masks do not alter the spread of COVID. In the article, there are links to each of the studies so you can read them for yourself. So now you can educate yourself. Just because people say the something repetitively doesn’t make it more true.
Take this nonsense back to your FB group and the echo chamber of idiocy. Holy guacamole. Please wear a mask and SD. We can agree to disagree on a lot of things but the science on this isn’t debatable. Bless you and your family.

The science of masks is debatable.

More than that, where is the science, not scientific opinion, that supports masks... It doesn’t exist as far as I can tell. The studies linked have actual data associated. Data = science

I already responded to that thread you started after reading the articles on the studies sourced and noting the takeaways shared weren't understanding the research or at the very best just telling incomplete truths that don't tell the whole story. There were some interesting findings but they shouldn't dissuade someone from thinking masks font help in the fight against COVID.

Some of the sourced articles even included alerts/addendums on them so sites like the one you posted don't twist the data like they were doing. Check out the New England Journal of Medicine for an example.

Perhaps the more important thing I think is missing from the mask discussion is that even if masks weren't helpful in physically preventing the COVID, they could be helpful reminders for people to social distance, avoid poorly ventilated indoor areas, and wash their hands.

Beyond that, I came across this article that references some studies with data related to masks showing the spread of COVID from the Wall Street Journal.

The overwhelming evidence is in the support of mask use as being an important measure in preventing the spread of Covid 19. The research that you posted is a propaganda piece. Sources are listed. In nearly every case they contradict the conclusion drawn by the article you posted. Most are reviews of studies done by other organizations not attributed to the article. The reviews are negative and directly contradict what is written in the article posted. If someone bothers to open up the source this is more of a testament to the effective of mask use. If you read the source material you would not have posted this. One of the sources while reviewing the study, comments that although this study only shows moderate lessening of the risk of Covid transmissions, there are many more studies that show a significantly greater protection from mask use. This is in the source material of the article you posted.

Reactions: MIKE_G
lessening the spread and lowering the risk of getting it via masks is very different than saying you'll get a lower level of the virus and have a better case. Haven't heard even the most die hard mask community confirm that
I have read several articles that equate how sick you get with the amount of virus that you are exposed to. These articles say mask use my lower the exposure. This is something that has been on multiple news site. This is, at this point just a theory. This is a new virus and a lot is not yet know but the poster did not make this up.

Reactions: MIKE_G
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT