ADVERTISEMENT

Ribs???

DanC78

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 29, 2003
We haven't had that many bbq threads, so I thought I would start one.

We are having a block party this weekend. It's called "BBQ for back to School".

I'm going to do ribs. I have a smoker (electric) and will use pecan chips. Thinking of using salt and pepper for seasoning.

Any other suggestions???

Remove the membrane. I usually coat ribs, or any cut of meat I BBQ, in a thin layer of yellow mustard to make a crust.

I buy baby backs from Sams. They are a decent cut.

A thin layer of yellow mustard?? Anything else, just mustard???

With it being electric....what temp?

I do 225 for 2 hours, then 265 for 2 hours, then 225 for 2 hours.

I'll see if I can dig up the base recipe for my take on a South Carolina sauce that works really well on ribs. Basically I deeply carmelize some sweet onions and use standard Publix brown mustard as the main differences and add some additional garlic powder and other spices. It's been awhile since I've done it as I've been cooking quicker foods recently as you know I've been on a fusion taco kick recently (I made some shrimp tacos with a tikka masala base but added in Chinese black vinegar, a splash of red Bourdeaux, some ponzu and a little brown sugar, sriracha plus extra garlic and hot curry sauce. I didn't bother to take pics as I was in a hurry but it was amazingly tasty), but I should be able to find it.

Ah, here ya go. This recipe will give you the typical dayglo yellow South Carolina sauce.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/south_carolina_mustard_bbq_sauce/

So if you want to FSUTribe it up and get a rich brown sauce that's far more flavourful and hits most of the tastebuds, then ignore the part about "don't brown the onions"....and DO brown them. Treat it just like a roux aka cooking on a lower heat and constantly stirring the onions and butter until the onions are dark brown. If they are black on any side or part then throw it out and start over but you want a rich chocolate brown like you would want in French onion dip or soup.

Then instead of yellow mustard use Publix brown deli mustard (not Dijon, just the cheap standard brown) and instead of Apple cider vinegar use Chinese black vinegar (basically the "balsamic" style of rice vinegar although they'll also use cheaper sorghum as a base so its mildly acidic but has a lot of strong malty flavors that really shine on duck and pork). Add in your taste level of garlic powder and brown sugar start with a half teaspoon of the former and a full teaspoon of the latter and adjust to your levels of both, a splash of sriracha and I'll frequently mix in the slightest amount of sweet curry powder and finely ground fennel (and I mean a little, less than a quarter teaspoon of each, imagine a pea or smaller amount).

So now you've got the sauce. On the ribs I don't sauce for the entire cooking time it's a good way to scorch the sauce. I just cook until it's maybe five minutes from done with just a dry rub (I usually use half Montreal steak and half Rendezvous for ribs with an extra sprinkle of Cavender's Greek) once it's on the ribs. Five minutes out I sauce it and let the sauce cool down even further on the ribs reserving some uncooked sauce for further dipping.

Last edited:

Just keep the temp at 225 for the whole cook. Wrap for the last hour if you want fall-off-the-bone (mushy) ribs. And for ribs you are going to want more than S&P. Plenty of rub recipes on the interwebs.

That's a long time for baby back ribs; typical method you'll find suggested is 2-2-1 (two hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped in foil, with a small amount of liquid poured over them prior to sealing the foil; then 1 hour unwrapped to firm them up). The time in the foil steams them & softens the meat, the last hour unwrapped firms them up some so they aren't too mushy & don't fall off the bone when you try to pick them up.

I usually do a variation of that; 90 minutes to 2 hours in the smoker unwrapped, then 2 hours wrapped. Then instead of the last hour over indirect heat, I finish them over direct heat, while basting with sauce. Put them over direct heat, baste the top. Let them sit for a few minutes, then flip them. Baste the side that's now up & let them sit for a few, then flip one final time.

For the dry rub prior to starting them, I use a cheap brand I get at Dollar Tree - Blazin Blends Memphis Style BBQ Seasoning. It's great on ribs & chicken, and it's cheap.

Remove the membrane. Go buy some Butt Rub and use that liberally. I'm getting ready to do a few videos and ribs will be one of them.

^^^ Love me some Bad Byron's Butt Rub with added paprika and powdered honey on my ribs, which I only buy from The Fresh Market as THEY have the meatiest ribs there are available to the general public.

Try beef ribs out....so much better.

Completely different animal....lol, literally. That's like saying you like pizza? Try Apple pie!

I do like beef ribs a lot but I use completely different sauces, rubs and cooking methods for them so it's not even close to the same thing other than the word rib.

Having said that, the best ribs you can ever get blowing up pork and beef are....goat. It's like the best combo of the two and lamb ribs are a close second. The lamb ribs at Rendezvous are the best restaurant ribs I've ever had and the lamb ribs at Coop's place proves that even at a nonBBQ place cooked in the oven, that lamb ribs are amazing. But trust me...goat is even better.

^^^ Love me some Bad Byron's Butt Rub with added paprika and powdered honey on my ribs, which I only buy from The Fresh Market as THEY have the meatiest ribs there are available to the general public.
Not a big fan of Byrons on ribs. Like it on butts and other bigger cuts of meat though.

I remember reading on this board that boiling ribs provides best results
Salt & pepper the ribs, maybe a little garlic powder. Lay flat in tupperware and add 1 can dr pepper and 1 can beer. 15 minutes on power setting 8 in the microwave. Thank me later.

I've been buying St. Louis style ribs lately because they are cheaper and meatier. If I were donating them to a neighborhood block party, that is certainly the way I'd go.

No sous vide Danc?

I do mine sous vide. Dry rub before vacuum sealing. 48 hours at 143 degrees. Finish on the grill over low heat, just long enough to glaze some BBQ sauce on them. If I want to add a smoky flavor, I'll place the finished ribs back in a plastic bag for a few minutes and use a Super Aladin Smoker o add some cold smoke.

Lots of good advice here. SeaPA's advice is spot on. Any version of 3-2-1 is damn near foolproof. Definitely remove the membrane. If your butcher will do the work to trim up spare ribs to St.Louis style they are great too. I put the rub on the day before. The mustard is to hold the rub on. I do that with pork butt, but not ribs. No doubt it works, I just haven't seen the need.

I've seen a couple mentions of removing the membrane. I don't, to me it just isn't worth the time (granted, the effort isn't great - but imo neither are the benefits).

I do mine sous vide. Dry rub before vacuum sealing. 48 hours at 143 degrees. Finish on the grill over low heat, just long enough to glaze some BBQ sauce on them. If I want to add a smoky flavor, I'll place the finished ribs back in a plastic bag for a few minutes and use a Super Aladin Smoker o add some cold smoke.

The funny thing to me (and CMAN kind of pointed it out on Facebook but I couldn't reply as I wasn't friends with the person or entity where he posted it) is that I've been talking about sous vide for well over a decade and was made for of on here constantly for advocating for "gross boiled ribs/meat" and yet lo and behold ten years later everyone's doing it.

While I somewhat agree that sous vide plus either a cold smoke, hot smoke or high heat sear finish is not quite up to the level of a perfectly done low heat smoked equivalent (maybe 95%), but it beats the pants off of mediocre or poorly done smoking and it's almost foolproof. You'll get it right 100% or at least 99% of the time using the sous vide plus finishing method with the only chance for failure coming in how it's finished, meanwhile even at the best BBQ places around the country using only smoke there will be screw ups. I think Cob is a really good BBQer especially compared to the average person, but even there I had some overcooked and dried out meat as well as some underdone with not enough connective tissue destroyed. Ditto my favorite place in Brooksville and in Atlanta. And I'm hitting only 50-50 at the famous on here Four Rivers as one time it was the best BBQ I may have ever had it was that good and then the second time it was literally shamefully bad where I couldn't believe they served me the burnt, beef jerky and tried to pretend it was BBQ. Meanwhile, an average cook with the sous vide plus finishing method will hit edibility 100% of the time and deliciousness at least 99%.

Salt & pepper the ribs, maybe a little garlic powder. Lay flat in tupperware and add 1 can dr pepper and 1 can beer. 15 minutes on power setting 8 in the microwave. Thank me later.
Don't forget the liquid smoke...
The funny thing to me (and CMAN kind of pointed it out on Facebook but I couldn't reply as I wasn't friends with the person or entity where he posted it) is that I've been talking about sous vide for well over a decade and was made for of on here constantly for advocating for "gross boiled ribs/meat" and yet lo and behold ten years later everyone's doing it.

While I somewhat agree that sous vide plus either a cold smoke, hot smoke or high heat sear finish is not quite up to the level of a perfectly done low heat smoked equivalent (maybe 95%), but it beats the pants off of mediocre or poorly done smoking and it's almost foolproof. You'll get it right 100% or at least 99% of the time using the sous vide plus finishing method with the only chance for failure coming in how it's finished, meanwhile even at the best BBQ places around the country using only smoke there will be screw ups. I think Cob is a really good BBQer especially compared to the average person, but even there I had some overcooked and dried out meat as well as some underdone with not enough connective tissue destroyed. Ditto my favorite place in Brooksville and in Atlanta. And I'm hitting only 50-50 at the famous on here Four Rivers as one time it was the best BBQ I may have ever had it was that good and then the second time it was literally shamefully bad where I couldn't believe they served me the burnt, beef jerky and tried to pretend it was BBQ. Meanwhile, an average cook with the sous vide plus finishing method will hit edibility 100% of the time and deliciousness at least 99%.

You were ridiculed in the worst way back then, I remember that. I never jumped in the fray on the board but me and 025 had some laughs over beers one night. And I've never had anything sous vide and I'm still not a believer until I do but I digress...

My go to is not the premade ones you simply heat up but I use a fool proof method that you are familiar with that is to wrap your slabs tightly in foil with any seasoning you want, a tablespoon of bacon grease and pineapple juice. Put them on the grill over medium heat for an hour then finish on the grill. Sometimes I'll finish them on my gas grill plain, sometimes I'll make a foil pouch with the mesquite chips and sometimes I'll finish on my charcoal grill with chunks of mesquite. The only way you can mess these up is to let them go dry in the foil burning them...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Can't you just go get a cooler full of McRib sammies from McDonalds and call it good?

Well I was getting a "hankering" for ribs thanks to this thread and was thinking about going out for lunch and grabbing ingredients to make either my severely altered "South Carolina" style ribs or maybe just the standard Southern Coca-Cola baked ribs but then you posted that and ruined my appetite.

I love heart more than the next person and make Anticuchos, tartare, various fusiony tacos using that as the meat and even include it in my hamburger grind as a small percentage, but that gross pork heart glued together with all sorts of weird chemicals and slathered in sickeningly sweet ketchup masquerading as BBQ sauce has me mildly ill.

Costco ribs come with the membrane already off.

Speaking of that, I went to an extended family function in Hattiesburg, Mississippi last weekend and because there were so many people they decided to buy presliced and cooked brisket from Sams or Costco (I can't remember which) and all he did was add some liquid smoke, butter and garlic to the roasting pan it was reheating in and %*%* if it wasn't actually really good. You should see my pictures of the brisket it looked (and tasted) as good as some of the best homemade bbq and all he had to do was something barely more complicated than reheat a microwave dinner.

2 things. Why pecan wood? I use a fruit wood, cherry, Apple or peach wood, really gives a nice flavor profile. Second, 6 hours is WAY too long for baby back ribs, they will be over cooked. Make sure you remove the membrane, coat them with mustard or oil to help the rub stick, rub them up. I cook my baby backs at 225 for 2 hours uncovered, wrap them in foil with blue squeezable parkay, a little pineapple juice, brown sugar & honey, put them back on for 1 hour, take them off glaze them with sticky fingers Carolina sweet & a dusting of turbinado sugar and put them back on uncovered for 30-45 mins. Then, I take them off, wrap them tight in foil, then wrap that in a towel and put them in a cooler for at least an hour. Then, I cut then into individual bones for serving. Nothing pisses me off more than people taking a half rack then wasting them. When you cut them with a cleaver, people take what they will eat. Ribs ain't cheap these days!!

Good luck with your cook, and post pics if you can!!

I usually do the 321 method on my smoker with oak or hickory and serve with a mustard sauce and a sweet molasses sauce. But whatever you do, don't cook them "fall off the bone". That is the biggest misnomer in bbq. The best ribs will have a "half moon bite" but still be tender and juicy enough where it pulls off the bone clean but not "falls off".

How do you know the benefits if you don't do it?

I've done it in the past, including experimenting (cooking one rack with the membrane removed/one without, even gone so far as to remove it from half a rack to see how much difference I'd get). The main benefit touted by those who remove is that it allows more flavoring into the meat. Might do that a little, but it's minimal. There are also proponents of leaving it on, based on the theory that it helps hold in some moisture.

I'm fine with them done either way, but when I'm making ribs I leave it on.

I usually do the 321 method on my smoker with oak or hickory and serve with a mustard sauce and a sweet molasses sauce. But whatever you do, don't cook them "fall off the bone". That is the biggest misnomer in bbq. The best ribs will have a "half moon bite" but still be tender and juicy enough where it pulls off the bone clean but not "falls off".

Meh, cook em how you like. I prefer them with a little more bite but my wife and kids like them to fall off the bone so I play to the audience. If I make them with too much bite they won't eat them.

Reactions: Bud Fox
2 things. Why pecan wood? I use a fruit wood, cherry, Apple or peach wood, really gives a nice flavor profile. Second, 6 hours is WAY too long for baby back ribs, they will be over cooked. Make sure you remove the membrane, coat them with mustard or oil to help the rub stick, rub them up. I cook my baby backs at 225 for 2 hours uncovered, wrap them in foil with blue squeezable parkay, a little pineapple juice, brown sugar & honey, put them back on for 1 hour, take them off glaze them with sticky fingers Carolina sweet & a dusting of turbinado sugar and put them back on uncovered for 30-45 mins. Then, I take them off, wrap them tight in foil, then wrap that in a towel and put them in a cooler for at least an hour. Then, I cut then into individual bones for serving. Nothing pisses me off more than people taking a half rack then wasting them. When you cut them with a cleaver, people take what they will eat. Ribs ain't cheap these days!!

Good luck with your cook, and post pics if you can!!

Agreed on the cooking time. 6 hours is waaaaay too long. As for a mustard coating, plain ole yellow mustard is what I usually use. I've used brown mustard before and I didn't care for the flavor it gave off.

Most of the time, I use cherry or apple on pork (ribs and shoulders) but I've used pecan before. It's a good subtle flavor. I smoked a pork shoulder at my in-laws place in Minnesota last week and got introduced to alder wood. Pretty interesting flavor profile on that. I had never used it before. For beef, I use Oak with a minimal amount of mesquite.

I'll try 221..thanks seapa!

I don't like fall off the bone at all, I like to call it "bite off the bone".

I'm pretty sure the membrain is already removed from ribs, I'll remove if not.

I already have pecan chips, so that's why I was going to use. If I see cherry or Apple I'll buy and use, but not to concerned, I like pecan.

I typically use olive oil before seasoning. We have a family seasoning I use, but I'm out of it right now. I'll do better than salt and pepper though, still debating on what though. The Dr Pepper thing I'm not 100% understanding. Do you just smoke like normal after I guess? Does the DP create a molasses of some sort???

Tribe, you got an easy recipe for a vinegar-based BBQ sauce? Something that isn't too thin. Gracias

Not that I've used before unfortunately. I like the Eastern and Western Carolina styles both of which are very thin and intended really to season the pork and cut into the fattiness of pulled pork, not serve as a sauce that covers it up. The Eastern style is literally just vinegar, red pepper flakes and salt with occassionally some other spices added including black pepper and maybe a hint of sugar. The Western style takes that simple seasoning and adds in a splash of Ketchup. It's much thinner than Ketchup by itself and again it's more of seasoning like mojo criollo that emphasizes the pork.

So at home when doing a pork shoulder or butt, I make a Western Carolina and add it to the pork while I'm pulling it. When I do pork ribs, unless I usually do the South Carolina style or the stereotypical Southern Coca Cola sauce both of which are closer to what you're talking in that they're thicker and the sauce becomes the dominant flavor. I also do a Santa Fe style green chili rib and a fusiony thing I made up mixing ube halaya, brown sugar, fish sauce, Ponzu and Sriracha.

It sounds like what you're looking for is like the "Virginia style" which is much heavier ketchup and/or tomato paste and yet is still very tangy. I'll take a look at some recipes and see if I can find one that looks good/is highly rated online.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT