ADVERTISEMENT

Shark Attack live on TV

cf nole

Star Player
Jan 11, 2005
Has anyone seen this?

Mick Fanning attacked by two Great Whites live on TV during the final heat of a Pro Surf contest.

What an awesome video. When I first saw it this morning, I thought it was one of those fake shark week "documentaries" but then remembered that shark week was a couple of weeks ago.

I'd imagine that dude had to change his drawers when he got back to shore.

I have surfed for a long time, and I would find it hard to get back into the water for a while if this happened to me.

He was quoted as saying something to the effect that he didn't care if he never surfed again.
They scratched the final round.

A friend was watching this live when he texted it to me this am. Mick is definitely lucky as hell, and that looked to only be a baby white. Crazy to think that one of the all time greats was almost eaten alive on tv.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
A friend was watching this live when he texted it to me this am. Mick is definately lucky as hell, and that looked to only be a baby white. Crazy to think that one of the all time greats was almost eaten alive on tv.

Kelly and him where out there just before that as well.

Yeah I saw them hugging on land just after it happened. I don't think the real gravity of what happened hit him for awhile until he got back to the beach. When he was on the boat with Peter during the interview he was still amped up and just laughing it off.

And kudos to the water patrol dudes. They hauled ass out there right away and circled the shark and got both of the guys out like true pros. Also noticed the drone above, so I wonder if that was pulling shark duty as well. Supposedly they had sonar bouys out there to spot sharks in the lineup, but somehow this "little" baby snuck right through...go figure right?

A friend was watching this live when he texted it to me this am. Mick is definately lucky as hell, and that looked to only be a baby white. Crazy to think that one of the all time greats was almost eaten alive on tv.

Yeah, the shark was definitely not huge. The article I read with the embedded video was literally titled "Man survives attack live on tv by HUGE shark." While I'm sure was plenty big enough to kill as it looked like a 8-9 maybe 10 ft shark, that is by no means a huge great white. As a matter of fact, great whites don't reach sexual maturity until 11 ft for males and 13 ft for females so that one wasn't even the equivalent of a teenager, it was a tween. Let alone one of those monstrous 20fters.

Having said that...I'm sure that was scary as %*#*. A little baby five to six footer that was on a fishing line then led into swimmers by laughing ahole college idiots in NJ very nearly killed a man (you can see that attack on video as well, just not as clearly...still makes me want to track down and punch everyone talking on the video).

The was most likely a juvenile great white but still scary as hell. The fact that he didn't get a single scratch is simply amazing.

The called off the competition and both surfers agreed to split the prize money.

I'm no shark expert but have spent all my life on the water. That fin is reminiscent of a Hammerhead. Long and pointy. Also, Hammerheads are very common at J Bay.

I'd have to go back and watch the video again. What it definitely was NOT is the constantly reported "GIANT Great White".

QUOTE="graytonole, post: 503907, member: 22812"]I'm no shark expert but have spent all my life on the water. That fin is reminiscent of a Hammerhead. Long and pointy. Also, Hammerheads are very common at J Bay.[ QUOTE]

Huh, so looking at the image stills I see where you think it's a hammerhead. I never noticed this before but the tail of a great white looks almost exactly like the front top fin of a hammerhead...high and thin with a tiny extra bump at the tip pointing back. BUT...in other stills you can see the actual front fin of the great white, low thick and curved.

So it was definitely a great white but....you educated me. The tail of a great white looks almost exactly like the front dorsal fin of a hammerhead.

This is what you saw that probably screamed hammerhead

20sharkattack-image-articleLarge.jpg

That looks like the hammerhead front fin shown here.

images

But this image shows the actual dorsal fin of the great white

150719125326-02-wsl-shark-attack-mfanning-1-jpg-large-169.jpg

150719125326-02-wsl-shark-attack-mfanning-1-jpg-large-169.jpg

So compare that to the dorsal and tail fin of this

images

whitesharka.jpg

I was thinking hammerhead too but knew it wasn't because of the reports that it was a great white. Watching a different video and the stills above from it, it's definitely a great white.

Yeah, the shark was definitely not huge. The article I read with the embedded video was literally titled "Man survives attack live on tv by HUGE shark." While I'm sure was plenty big enough to kill as it looked like a 8-9 maybe 10 ft shark, that is by no means a huge great white.

You're saying it was a not a huge Great White, but the title you're complaining about says it was a 'huge shark'.
If we place all the sharks alive on a curve by length, what percentage do you reckon come in under 10 feet long?

7Sx5PWf.jpg

Going by the tail, I'm calling that a huge shark too.

2kSTzra.png

You're saying it was a not a huge Great White, but the title you're complaining about says it was a 'huge shark'.
If we place all the sharks alive on a curve by length, what percentage do you reckon come in under 10 feet long?

7Sx5PWf.jpg

Going by the tail, I'm calling that a huge shark too.

2kSTzra.png

They're not on the same level of the horizon in that pic. It's the stereotypical hold your fish catch at full arms length ahead you or sit well behind your trophy boar or deer. If you look at the first images of the dorsal fin you can see its a relatively small great white.

I sense a new thrill-based reality tv show in the works.

I thought Hammerhead immediately. Looks like two sharks cause those are different dorsal fins. A 12 foot long Hammerhead or Great White is HUGE if you're in the water with him and this is true even if you have a 357 bang stick with you. Trust me on this.

Second fin could be a the GW tail. Official says there were two sharks at 5:06 mark.

Last edited:
Fortunately it was more of a surface exploration than an attack from beneath.

I will admit that the entire time the press is saying "OMG, Professional Surfer survives "Attack" from GIANT great white!!!!"....I just shook my head and said OR...."Professional surfer gets nudged by curious immature great white". I doubt anyone no matter how great of a swimmer and alert would survive an actual predatory attack from a 16-21 ft fully mature Great White. Usually when you hear about those types of attacks there's no body or not much of one found. Because even the exploratory bites of a full size great white ends up taking arms and legs off. See the most often viewed "attack" where a woman was swimming in deep ocean (dumb dumb, I'd never be there) next to her science vessel and was trailed on the surface and exploratorily bitten by a midsize not even enormous Great White. Her entire leg was popped off like a surgeon and he wasn't even being predatory or at least no fully predatory, just a "nibble" to see if the poorly swimming thing (compared to seals, dolphins and tuna their normal fare) tasted good.

They're not on the same level of the horizon in that pic. It's the stereotypical hold your fish catch at full arms length ahead you or sit well behind your trophy boar or deer.

There is a video, Tribe. It was right next to him (it touched him), and the camera is simply too far away from both of them to create the type of optical illusion you're referring too.

If you look at the first images of the dorsal fin you can see its a relatively small great white.

You can't see its back, so how can you judge the total size of the dorsal fin? That's like judging an iceberg by the tip.

I'm still curious, of all sharks alive today, what percentage do you think fall under 10' in length?

There is a video, Tribe. It was right next to him (it touched him), and the camera is simply too far away from both of them to create the type of optical illusion you're referring too.

You can't see its back, so how can you judge the total size of the dorsal fin? That's like judging an iceberg by the tip.

I'm still curious, of all sharks alive today, what percentage do you think fall under 10' in length?

Don't feed the troll.

The still of the tail (which makes it look gargantuan) is clearly from the right with the shark in the foreground and the surfer in the background. The dorsal pic still is from basically head on with both in the same plane. You are correct that there MIGHT be more dorsal fin, but when the shark is splashing around it's basically about his surfboard size, maybe slightly bigger. It's not a behemoth.

And as to your point about what percentage of sharks are under 10 ft, sure most of them. A giant monstrous bonnet head is 6-7 ft and there are a lot more bonnets than hammerheads. And an average bull shark (which is deadly) is only 8 ft.

But I've seen sharks bigger than 10ft and I'm not a regular fisherman. I just do a boat rental or a charter about 4-6x a year as that's about all I need. And in New Zealand we were catching so many orange roughy, blue cod, sea perch and red cod that we chummed up an adult (but not gargantuan) great white probably in the 13-15 ft area as the charter was a 20 ft Center console. That put a halt to the fishing in the area per Kiwi rule. And in St Marks about four or five years about we were in a 20ft rental Center console scalloping on opening day. We got our limit within 45 mins to an hour and then left the sand bar to go about a football field away along a channel cut where the birds were going nuts. We landed in a school of very large (all well over the min) Spanish mackerel and were catching them as fast as we could hook when a pod of dolphins showed up to ruin the fun. We stayed to watch the Dolphins when all of the sudden they started huddling around the boat. Then you can just see this giant, Rape van-sized dark shape loom out of the water and surface. It was very obviously a tiger shark and easily the biggest animal I've ever seen. It was twice the size of the dolphins easily and a conservative estimate would be 16-17 ft and probably was much more. People forget that while a typical Great White is bigger than a typical Tiger their females get just as large if not larger. 18-20 ft is not unheard of and teeth have been found which would belong to a 25 fter if the teeth were proportionate. Was what I saw a 25fter..probably not but it was frigging huge and seemed bigger than the boat or at least close. That monster I would call a giant even if it was 16 ft. (Oh and no, we didn't see any awesome dolphin versus tiger shark action, the Dolphins kind of cowered around the boat while the tiger slowly cruised along the surface to inspect and despite a lot of activity from the Dolphins it just cruised off after a bit minding its own monster business.

But yeah, just in Florida we've got lemons, makos, hammerheads, sand Tigers, "regular" tigers, six gill, basking, whale and megamouth that are all bigger than that particular Great White.

I thought Hammerhead immediately. Looks like two sharks cause those are different dorsal fins. A 12 foot long Hammerhead or Great White is HUGE if you're in the water with him and this is true even if you have a 357 bang stick with you. Trust me on this.

Second fin could be a the GW tail. Official says there were two sharks at 5:06 mark.
I thought it was a HH too but then I saw another video and you could see the GW dorsal go under and the 'HH dorsal' pop up and when you think about it, it kinda has to be the tail. I think it bit onto the leash, dove, then the tail broke the surface. Also looked like a tail smacked him off the board shortly after that. Not sure if it was a second shark or not...

I thought it was a HH too but then I saw another video and you could see the GW dorsal go under and the 'HH dorsal' pop up and when you think about it, it kinda has to be the tail. I think it bit onto the leash, dove, then the tail broke the surface. Also looked like a tail smacked him off the board shortly after that. Not sure if it was a second shark or not...

Yeah, the commentators might have thought in the moment it was multiple sharks as you're not used to seeing a tail fin in your mind only the dorsal, but it looked to me like one juvenile shark.

The still of the tail (which makes it look gargantuan) is clearly from the right with the shark in the foreground and the surfer in the background.

Again, the kind of optical illusion you're suggesting is in play here requires the camera to be much closer to the objects in question. The shark is within 10' of him, the camera is hundreds of feet away.
If we're 5 feet apart and you hold up your hand to block my view the hand will appear much larger relative to you. If I back up a few football fields and you hold up your hand it doesn't create that same affect.

And as to your point about what percentage of sharks are under 10 ft, sure most of them.... But I've seen sharks bigger than 10ft and I'm not a regular fisherman...

bgc5bEG.jpg

;)

Again, the kind of optical illusion you're suggesting is in play here requires the camera to be much closer to the objects in question. The shark is within 10' of him, the camera is hundreds of feet away.
If we're 5 feet apart and you hold up your hand to block my view the hand will appear much larger relative to you. If I back up a few football fields and you hold up your hand it doesn't create that same affect.

bgc5bEG.jpg

;)

Maybe you're right about the optical illusion aspect, I wont 100 percent concede because it was a televised event so the camera on the tail doesn't have to be from shore they might have had it from nearby boats. But assuming you are right then I'd have to say there must have been two then (which is possible they do form ultra loose packs apparently per the most recent analysis) because the dorsal fin is WAY too tiny to match that tail fin. And it's definitely a smaller shark that did the attack/nudge.

The still of the tail (which makes it look gargantuan) is clearly from the right with the shark in the foreground and the surfer in the background. The dorsal pic still is from basically head on with both in the same plane. You are correct that there MIGHT be more dorsal fin, but when the shark is splashing around it's basically about his surfboard size, maybe slightly bigger. It's not a behemoth.

And as to your point about what percentage of sharks are under 10 ft, sure most of them. A giant monstrous bonnet head is 6-7 ft and there are a lot more bonnets than hammerheads. And an average bull shark (which is deadly) is only 8 ft.

But I've seen sharks bigger than 10ft and I'm not a regular fisherman. I just do a boat rental or a charter about 4-6x a year as that's about all I need. And in New Zealand we were catching so many orange roughy, blue cod, sea perch and red cod that we chummed up an adult (but not gargantuan) great white probably in the 13-15 ft area as the charter was a 20 ft Center console. That put a halt to the fishing in the area per Kiwi rule. And in St Marks about four or five years about we were in a 20ft rental Center console scalloping on opening day. We got our limit within 45 mins to an hour and then left the sand bar to go about a football field away along a channel cut where the birds were going nuts. We landed in a school of very large (all well over the min) Spanish mackerel and were catching them as fast as we could hook when a pod of dolphins showed up to ruin the fun. We stayed to watch the Dolphins when all of the sudden they started huddling around the boat. Then you can just see this giant, Rape van-sized dark shape loom out of the water and surface. It was very obviously a tiger shark and easily the biggest animal I've ever seen. It was twice the size of the dolphins easily and a conservative estimate would be 16-17 ft and probably was much more. People forget that while a typical Great White is bigger than a typical Tiger their females get just as large if not larger. 18-20 ft is not unheard of and teeth have been found which would belong to a 25 fter if the teeth were proportionate. Was what I saw a 25fter..probably not but it was frigging huge and seemed bigger than the boat or at least close. That monster I would call a giant even if it was 16 ft. (Oh and no, we didn't see any awesome dolphin versus tiger shark action, the Dolphins kind of cowered around the boat while the tiger slowly cruised along the surface to inspect and despite a lot of activity from the Dolphins it just cruised off after a bit minding its own monster business.

But yeah, just in Florida we've got lemons, makos, hammerheads, sand Tigers, "regular" tigers, six gill, basking, whale and megamouth that are all bigger than that particular Great White.
All fine and dandy but you think you might have a different perspective if you were, you know...in the water?

All fine and dandy but you think you might have a different perspective if you were, you know...in the water?

No doubt. That's why I referenced the baby Great White that nearly killed someone in NJ. The NJ baby was about half the size of this one which is about half the size of a true monster GW.

Maybe you're right about the optical illusion aspect, I wont 100 percent concede because it was a televised event so the camera on the tail doesn't have to be from shore they might have had it from nearby boats.

KiiGTJj.png

But assuming you are right then I'd have to say there must have been two then (which is possible they do form ultra loose packs apparently per the most recent analysis) because the dorsal fin is WAY too tiny to match that tail fin. And it's definitely a smaller shark that did the attack/nudge.

You're trying to judge the size of the dorsal fin and you can't see its base. That's the 'iceberg' problem I mentioned before. You have no idea how much more fin is underwater because its back never breaks the surface.
There were not two sharks, but you see the dorsal, and then the tail flicks above the water, and I suspect that was originally mistaken as a second dorsal fin.

Recognizing that the shark touched him in the moment both of them are splashing around it is only a few feet away from him. Compare the size of his head in the higher detail picture with the size of the tail from tip to notch

I did, that's why I concur that was a huge shark.
Perhaps not a huge great white, but certainly a huge shark.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT