ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest New Footie Thread

Arsenal just beat Bayern on PKs in Shanghai.

Iwobi w/a header to force PKs.

Bayern had 21 shots to Arsenal's 4 though...OUCH!!!!

Emi Martinez made 2 PK saves and nearly a 3rd! And strangely, Ospina was the only sub who went unused.

Wonder if a deal is being done for him now as we speak?

This is tough to watch. True Gooner. You will be missed, Chezzer...

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/69/t...zesny-struggles-to-hold-back-tears-as-he-bids

Did you guys see his farewell letter to Arsenal? Class...all class:

"I remember being a young boy in Poland, watching David Seaman, Thierry Henry, Dennis Berkamp and others play for Arsenal. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would get a chance to play for the club I supported as a little kid. When I was approached by Arsenal in 2005 my world changed forever. I began my journey as a 16 year old boy at the Arsenal's academy, trying to one day become a first team player, going out for evening runs in East Barnet with Jack Wilshere. Little did we know then, that couple years later we'd beat Barcelona in the Champions League and wear the no.1 and no.10 shirts. It has been over 11 years since I became an Arsenal player and I never thought the day I leave this club would come. Everything that I am and everything that I have, I owe to Arsenal, Arsene Wenger, Liam Brady, David Court, Bob Arber, Steve Bould, Neil Banfield, Mike Salmon, Tony Roberts, Gerry Peyton, Pat Rice and many others. Words can't describe my gratitude to these people and love for this club. Today I move on, ready for the new challenge in my life, taking with me only the good memories and bag of expierience. I leave hopeful that those days of Berkamp,Henry, Seaman and others are soon to return to Emirates Stadium and Arsenal get back to winning the Premier League. I may not be an Arsenal player no more but I will carry the Arsenal name with me wherever I go and I will do so with great pride. Once a Gunner, always a Gunner! ❤"

Chelsea have signed Morata.

Great signing for them and a huge upgrade, personality-wise over Costa. And that makes it official. Costa's gone. Few players as talented as him have ever been sold under stranger circumstances.

Not looking forward to playing against him (Morata) though! I'm a big fan of his.

Wonder if this means Mbappe to Madrid now they Real have some cash from selling Morata, and allegedly another £30mil from selling Danilo to Man City?

With Szczesny officially gone to Juve, I doubt they sell Ospina as well. Maybe he was suffering from food poisoning like 6-10 of the others on the traveling squad.

By the way, I hate that Szczesny is gone. I would have them rather sold Ospina and kept Szczesny, but oh well. He apparently got on Wenger's bad side and was cast away forever (at least while Arsene is still there).

With Szczesny officially gone to Juve, I doubt they sell Ospina as well. Maybe he was suffering from food poisoning like 6-10 of the others on the traveling squad.

By the way, I hate that Szczesny is gone. I would have them rather sold Ospina and kept Szczesny, but oh well. He apparently got on Wenger's bad side and was cast away forever (at least while Arsene is still there).
"Smokin' in the boy's room" did him in.

I hope he kills it at Juve though.

I hope Neymar leaves.

Everton with a great summer haul so far, minus Rooney. Id like one more striker and to sell Barkley and Jagielka.

Tottenham, well im glad im not a Tottenham fan, 0 signings and a few off loads.

They have had a great summer, and they are going to need it with their opening fixtures. Game weeks 2-5 see them play Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham, and Man U. Ouch.

Impressed with El Salvador tonight. I didn't think any national team could play dirtier than Mexico, but
there it is. Titty twisters, biting, punches to the stomach....what a bunch of douches.

Reactions: fsUTampa
PSG are willing to pay Neymar a signing on fee of £45m and will offer him a five-year contract worth £596,000 a week after tax. (Daily Mail)

I'm all for loyalty and the like, but if it were me, guess who would be starting to learn French TODAY?!

tXV4KQj.jpg

I just made a t-shirt using this picture. Above it I wrote, "I only came to see Eboue."

It's a knockoff from a shirt from about 5 years ago...

1925.jpg

The code for my EPL fantasy league is 20238-6379 if anyone wants to join. This is the same league some of you probably already have played. I changed the name to Trans-Atlantic league to reflect the nice mixture of Brits and Yanks. You are all welcome to join. No money, just for fun.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Arsenal rumors aplenty today...

Sanchez to PSG
Gibbs to West Brom (supposedly we turned down a £10 mil bid - why?!)
Chambers to Crystal Palace - Goons holding out for £20 mil
Ox to Chelsea - go away you plastics!!

Arsenal rumors aplenty today...

Sanchez to PSG
Gibbs to West Brom (supposedly we turned down a £10 mil bid - why?!)
Chambers to Crystal Palace - Goons holding out for £20 mil
Ox to Chelsea - go away you plastics!!

Ox failed his audition (looked really bad on the 3rd goal). :)

EDIT: or better yet, sell us Alexis and we promise we'll leave Ox alone. :)

Wenger adamantly denying Alexis will be sold to PSG despite Alexis allegedly being in Paris.

Feels JUST like when we were assured that Cesc and Nasri wouldn't be sold.

What is up with the Rose Bowl being half empty? In LA? For a Mexico match?

Promoters trying to price out the illegals or something?

What is up with the Rose Bowl being half empty? In LA? For a Mexico match?

Promoters trying to price out the illegals or something?

FWIW, the tix were relatively expensive for the USA game at RayJay, and that was a midweek group stage match vs Martinique, so maybe?

A pulsating finish to win another Gold Cup. Morris, Pulisic, Dwyer...the U.S. future is bright. And I have to admit Bradley had a great tournament as well. This bodes well for what lies ahead.

Arsenal's attempts to get Lemar are beginning to look pathetic. Meanwhile, Sanchez says he is too ill to return to training. Sigh.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Arsenal's attempts to get Lemar are beginning to look pathetic. Meanwhile, Sanchez says he is too ill to return to training. Sigh.
Yeah, noticed the illness pics on his Instagram. He doesn't have to report to training until Sunday (him and Mustafi)...which is strange b/c the Goons will be playing the Emirates Cup that day - so there would presumably be no 1st team training that day anyway...

Arsenal won't get Lamar & I don't understand why they are still apparently trying. I think Lamar is like Sanchez in that the club just isn't going to let him go this year.

As for Sanchez, I'm sure he will be back in London soon enough. He doesn't seem like the type of player to not show up & play, but I could be wrong. If he tries to play hardball I hope Arsenal just sit for the year and withhold wages, or better yet, sell him for cheap to a bottom feeder in another country so he can go waste his year there.

Reactions: seminoleed
Arsenal won't get Lamar & I don't understand why they are still apparently trying. I think Lamar is like Sanchez in that the club just isn't going to let him go this year.

As for Sanchez, I'm sure he will be back in London soon enough. He doesn't seem like the type of player to not show up & play, but I could be wrong. If he tries to play hardball I hope Arsenal just sit for the year and withhold wages, or better yet, sell him for cheap to a bottom feeder in another country so he can go waste his year there.

Monaco said the same thing about Mendy and sold him about 2 days later. If Arsenal meet Monaco's evaluation they'll get Lemar.

Monaco said the same thing about Mendy and sold him about 2 days later. If Arsenal meet Monaco's evaluation they'll get Lemar.
Exactly. This is just a case of Arsenal being cheapskates.

And to make matters worse, they turned down a £10 mil bid for Gibbs, allegedly b/c they want £12 mil.

Greedy hypocrites!

Exactly. This is just a case of Arsenal being cheapskates.

And to make matters worse, they turned down a £10 mil bid for Gibbs, allegedly b/c they want £12 mil.

Greedy hypocrites!

Yes they are greedy and Arsene is extremely tight with the purse strings. If he would just sell Gibbs, Perez, Jenkinson & Debuchy for the fees mentioned, he would have already have enough to go out and get another top quality player to strengthen the club.

Alexis apparently has the Flu and will be back in London on Tuesday. At least according to Wenger that is what he was told by Alexis via text message. There is still speculation that he is playing games in an effort to force the club to sell him. I don't know that he would sit out an entire year (without pay) just to try and leave the club, so who knows. Also, with it being winter down in Chile I think it is entirely plausible that he does have the Flu. I guess we will see come Tuesday.

The Emirates Cup was fun today. 5 goals for the Goons!

Kolasinac is a BEAST! "Hulk" definitely has to be his nickname.

Theo playing like he's playing for his life w/2 goals today.

Reiss Nelson continues to be the most promising Gunner prospect since Jack Wilshere. Love watching that kid play! Excellent future ahead for him.

Anyone else see the match? What were your thoughts?

Reactions: nole31906
Didn't see the Arsenal game or City/Spurs or Pre-season El Classico, but did watch Chelsea once again show that they have very little going forward without Eden Hazard. Could be a long couple of months to start the season for this Blues supporter.

I haven't watched any of the pre-season stuff. I read most of the articles regarding Arsenal, especially on Arseblog, but other than that I don't follow much. To me it is like pre-season baseball and pre-season NFL. These games are nothing more than a scrimmage to get the players in shape and most of the time the teams don't really care about who wins as long as they meet certain goals & criteria for the games.

Even with Arsenal I take everything with a grain of salt. I am however, somewhat encouraged to see the squad score 5 goals without Alexis. I am also discouraged to see them give up 2 goals, especially since they apparently weren't defended very well. I am sure there will be some sort of balancing out of both sides before the season starts.

The defense was poor - no arguing that. But they never really played a "1st team" all preseason. So that's hopefully the culprit.

Well, Alexis Sanchez is back in London. He arrived via private plane today with his dogs. So, it at least looks like he is going to train with the club, and probably accept the situation he is currently in. It would be nice to get him to sign a new contract, but I won't hold my breath on that.

Maybe this is why Sanchez has shown up in London; realizes he ain't going to PSG now?
Alexis: I'm going to Bayern!
(Bayern signs James on loan and publicly refutes their interest in Sanchez.)
Alexis: Dammit...ok...I'm going to PSG then.
(PSG signs Neymar for $400 billion dollars, leaving nothing for Sanchez.)
Alexis: Son of a! OK, I'm going to City.
Wenger: You're not going to City...or by the way also not to Chelsea.
Alexis: reports to Arsenal training camp.

Also...remember when that moron reporter asked Schweinsteiger, "Do you think you can win the World Cup with Chicago?"

During MLS All-Star Game press conference, Bastian Schweinsteiger says "Maybe if we beat Real Madrid then we can win the World Cup." #TheJokeLivesOn

DGKEEFdXsAAfFJg.jpg

Neymar looks to finally be off to PSG!

So who does Barcelona go after with all that money? They have a huge hole now and with a new coach maybe they'll drop some early games this season.

Talk is that with Barcelona stating they want all the money up front, it will cause PSG to breach Financial Fair Play. So, it might not be a done deal yet. If it is Barcelona playing games as I have heard suggested, I don't understand why. If Neymar is going to leave, get rid of him ASAP so you have the cash to go out and find a replacement or two. Why drag it out?

As for a replacement, why not Mbappe? Real Madrid apparently have interest, but Barcelona would now have the money to go get him immediately. Heck, if I am Arsene Wenger, I am calling Barcelona telling them they can have Sanchez (who will most likely not sign a new contract at Arsenal no matter what). The only catch I would have is once sold, Barcelona could not sell back to any Premier League club.

Talk is that with Barcelona stating they want all the money up front, it will cause PSG to breach Financial Fair Play. So, it might not be a done deal yet. If it is Barcelona playing games as I have heard suggested, I don't understand why. If Neymar is going to leave, get rid of him ASAP so you have the cash to go out and find a replacement or two. Why drag it out?

As for a replacement, why not Mbappe? Real Madrid apparently have interest, but Barcelona would now have the money to go get him immediately. Heck, if I am Arsene Wenger, I am calling Barcelona telling them they can have Sanchez (who will most likely not sign a new contract at Arsenal no matter what). The only catch I would have is once sold, Barcelona could not sell back to any Premier League club.
If Barca (or anyone else) signs Sanchez, it will be on his last top-flight contract...assuming it's for 3-4 years.

re: FFP

I doubt anything will be done again. Look at City - they were in breach and have spent crazy cash the last 2 summers with essentially nothing coming back in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT