ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest New Footie Thread

Asencio = future. Love that guy. What a goal (shirt-handed at that)!

Ronaldo got jobbed. BUT what will happen to him for putting his hands on the ref? Not good, Ronny!

Based on the first weekend of play, MU looks to be ahead of everyone else. That was a pounding they put on the Hammers. Manch must be ecstatic right now. They looked to be in mid-season form today.

I'm happy with anything that doesn't end nil-nil.

He shouldn't have touched the ref, sure. But in Liga worse is done and said to refs weekly that goes unpunished so this would be yet another example of R Madrid being targeted.

The real story is the second yellow shouldn't have happened and then there is no ref contact. Repea it and give cr7 a second leg suspension of 1 game to not embarass ref.

He shouldn't have touched the ref, sure. But in Liga worse is done and said to refs weekly that goes unpunished so this would be yet another example of R Madrid being targeted.

The real story is the second yellow shouldn't have happened and then there is no ref contact. Repea it and give cr7 a second leg suspension of 1 game to not embarass ref.
It's a minimum 4-12 march suspension.
Ronaldo...he gone (for a while)

The video of Messi pushing a ref years ago in Liga is now viral, no ban there.
People are finally getting to see how gross the Barcelona/ Liga partnership is.

Pool left Coutinho at home for playoffat Hoffenheim.

Everton upcoming make or break schedule. Koemen must go away from 5-3-2 to survive it and score goals.

Thursday Europa home
Monday at Man City
Thursday at Europa
Sunday at Chelsea
Home Tottenham
At Man United

Pool left Coutinho at home for playoffat Hoffenheim.

Everton upcoming make or break schedule. Koemen must go away from 5-3-2 to survive it and score goals.

Thursday Europa home
Monday at Man City
Thursday at Europa
Sunday at Chelsea
Home Tottenham
At Man United
Jesus that's a brutal start to the season. Unreal. Thank god they got those first 3 points in the bag. May be a while before they pickup 3 more in the Prem.

If they play at home like they did last year they might be able to get a point from spurs. Also, the way Chelsea is playing right now, they might be able to get something there. Otherwise I don't see them coming away with any points elsewhere in the Prem. League out of that list.

Ahh dammit...Liverpewl just scored an away goal on a free kick vs Hoffenheim.

They were getting beaten all over the pitch prior to the goal too. Bummer!

Arsenal...choc full of deadwood that they can't get rid of, just sold (or are about to try to sell - he has been hurt, so he could fail his medical) Gabriel Paulista...a player that we need. WTF?!

http://news.arseblog.com/2017/08/gabriel-arrives-in-valencia-ahead-of-medical-and-transfer/

If we're going to play a back 3, we need a lot of CBs...especially CBs w/experience slotting into fullback positions, you know, like Gabriel did really well!

This leaves us with:

1. Koscielny
2. Mustafi
3. Monreal
4. Mertesacker
5. Holding
-----
6. Calum Chambers (should be loaned or sold...apparently will be staying now)
7. Kolasinac (he's obviously been bought as a LWB and he NEEDS to play there not at CB)

When you figure the EFL Cup, the early round matches in the FA Cup, Europa League Group Stage, Koscielny red cards, and then what are always many injuries in defense...Gabriel is/was necessary, IMO.

And Gibbs, Debuchy, Jenkinson, Walcott, Lucas, Akpom, and Joel Campbell are all STILL on the books. (shakes head)

Last edited:
Makes me wonder if Arsenal will go for europa league title over epl top 4. They cant do both with that roster as is.

Everton an ugly 2-0 europa win before leg 2.
Everton need another striker, Sandro banged up and Rooney is predictably out of gas before September.

I think all Arsenal will want (or at least Arsene) is to get out of the Group Stage in Europa League. I can't picture them going far in the knockout stage, and honestly I don't see them doing all that well in the Group Stage unless their younger guys step up. With the roster as is, there is no way they can focus on both Europe & EPL, and I doubt you see a lot of the senior guys playing on Thursdays.

I think all Arsenal will want (or at least Arsene) is to get out of the Group Stage in Europa League. I can't picture them going far in the knockout stage, and honestly I don't see them doing all that well in the Group Stage unless their younger guys step up. With the roster as is, there is no way they can focus on both Europe & EPL, and I doubt you see a lot of the senior guys playing on Thursdays.

I agree. I don't think Wenger has any interest at all in the Europa League.

Nor should he. He should be focused on getting his side back in the CL. Of course, should they fluke up and win Europa, he'll act like he's running Real Madrid.

The question will truly be answered sometime around the new year. If they control their own destiny, i.e. already in the top 4 of the PL and look like they should finish there, likely won't go heavy for the Europa League. However, if they are struggling in the PL and are either barely in the top 4 or already outside of it, perhaps when the KO stages of Europa start in Feb. he'll invest more resources there. Kindof like what United did this past campaign. Once it became apparent that Top 4 was out of the question, started to care more about the Europa and rested his stars in the PL even against top sides because it really didn't matter anymore.

Makes what Chelsea did in 2013 all the more impressive (first the unimpressive feat of not making it out of the group stages in the UCL to get sent to the Europa) then winning the Europa with it NOT guaranteeing CL football in 2013/4 while still finishing 3rd knowing that they had to finish in the top 4 to get UCL. All this while playing 69 games (don't think any PL team has played more ever) - all while not resting the big boys vs the top sides and having to 1 week play 3 games in 5 days iirc Sun., Tues. Thursday because we were still in the FA Cup at that point.

Yep, I am going to type it. I planned on typing it last week but the comeback made me give a reprieve.

#WengerOut

Nothing is going to change until he is gone. I realize that the players screwed up themselves today and essentially tried to dribble the damn ball into the goal instead of shooting (Welbeck I am talking about you). I also agree with him that there should have been at least 1 penalty given (Bellerin taken out in the first half, & I will argue hand ball all day in the second half), and the Lacazette goal should have been allowed.

Here are my issues:
- He complains that central defense was not good enough today. Well, I wonder why? He started CB in a back 3 with a left back in the middle, and a left wing back as the other in the back.
- He starts the team's best RWB as a LWB and Ox as a RWB, which he clearly isn't.
- The first substitution is to take a LWB out of the back and replace him with a forward, and switch to a back 4. Why not remove the RWB who was already under performing, move Bellerin to the RB position of the back 4 where he belongs?
- You are in clear need of a goal, and your record signing just put one in (and incorrectly disallowed), so you replace him? WTF?
- You have a team packed in at the back and you bring Walcott in the game? What was the point of that?

Mertesacker should have started in the middle with Monreal on the other side of the back 3. Bellerin over on the right and Ox on the bench.

It is so painful to watch this team, and it is only week 2.

Reactions: nole31906
Chelsea is going to wish that they had too many players, I don't think that their additons outweigh their subtractions to an already thin roster, plus they lose Cahill for 3 and Cesc for 1, and are at Wembley today against the Spurs, that place will be rocking and Costa is still playing Hide and Seek. Throw in Europe, and a thin roster is thinner.

Thank you for Matic!

It's great to see Pogba scoring. I think if this was last year, the game would have ended 1-1. It's way to early to get excited, but I am happy at what I've seen so far, and that's putting out 15% of last year's GF in just 2 games, and last year's best player, Ander Hererra has been relegated to the bench.

Mourinho was killed last year for giving up on the league, but when it became apparent that it would be difficult to finish top 4, JM realized that it was easier to win 3 than 7, and they are in the CL. The league pissed and moaned, but that strategy gives the league 5 teams in the CL, just as long as Klopp can keep his boys from tripping over themselves against the Germans this week.

It will be interesting to see how Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham juggle their rosters with the EPL, CL and the upcoming League and FA Cups.

Rooney w/a goal.
Kyle Walker w/a red card at the end of the first half in his home debut.

Good start for Everton!

Let's hope they can hold in the 2nd half!

Koemen blew that game and better take responsibility for it. Up a man after half 34% possession in second half playing prevent offense. Gave that game away. He's not Dutch i swear with this defensive obsession

In the under-23's, Wilshere was taken down with a dirty tackle, took umbrage, pushed the guy who acted like he'd been shot, and saw red. Then the other guy got ejected, and Wilshere waited in the tunnel for another round of action.

Love his spirit.

Group A: Benfica, Man United, FC Basel, CSKA Moscow.

Group B: Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain, Anderlecht, Celtic.

Group C: Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Roma, FK Qarabag.

Group D: Juventus, Barcelona, Olympiakos, Sporting CP.

Group E: Spartak Moscow, Sevilla, Liverpool, NK Maribor.

Group F: Shakhtar Donetsk, Man City, Napoli, Feyenoord.

Group G: Monaco, FC Porto, Besiktas, RB Leipzig.

Group H: Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Tottenham, APOEL Nicosia.

The first group games will be played on Sep. 12-13.

Man United w/a very good draw.
Poor Celtic.
Chelsea no shoe-in to get through in Group C.
'Pewl with the best draw of the tournament from Pot 3 - f'ing Scousers!
Tottenham is f'd. Hahahaha

Bad draw for Tottenham for sure, Madrid will have to be up for Dortmund and Tottenham thats a tough group.

Liverpool will struggle I think with Sevilla and maybe Moscow.

Man United have an easy group since Benfica just blew that team up and is rebuilding now, is be shocked if Benfica win Potugal again this season.

I too pity Celtic, massacre approaching.

Everton and Arsenal both good Europa group draws. Sigurdsson what a goa!!!!!!!

Dortmund just sent Dembele to Barca for about €105 million.

Couldn't have asked for a better United draw, even the away days are sandwiched with favorable home league matches.

Celtic...at least they still get to beat the shit out of Rangers at least twice a year.

Arsenal's Prem matches are a disaster following each of their Europa League matches. 5 out of 6 are away and 3 of those are Chelsea, Man City, and Everton.

It is interesting that the only controversy I heard about in the Man. City game was regarding the second yellow given to Sterling for his goal celebration. He never gets the second yellow if they don't keep playing past the initial +5.

I will admit I didn't see the game so I have no idea if the extra time was justified, but I would have thought it would have at least been mentioned one way or the other since it is not common to go multiple minutes over the estimated additional time.

Meanwhile, back in MLS, Atlanta United FC has become the best team in the league for draws that feel like wins. Another stoppage time goal on an insane header pulls out a much needed road point.

Fsudawg,
The worst controversy was not seeing red. He was on a yellow and threw a guy down off the ball. Bizarre no call.

Man city should have lost 2 straight. 4 points says to me they have the luck to win epl. U need luck and they are getting it and then some

Fsudawg,
The worst controversy was not seeing red. He was on a yellow and threw a guy down off the ball. Bizarre no call.

Man city should have lost 2 straight. 4 points says to me they have the luck to win epl. U need luck and they are getting it and then some

And those are 3 earned points by Sterling - he scored the leveler against Everton last week, and the winner today.

IMO Wenger has lost his mind.

Welbeck looked horrible last week against Stoke and he is starting today over Lacazette?
Also, another week with Bellerin on the left instead of his better side the right. I can understand playing Ox over Bellerin on the right, but why is Kolasinac not starting on the left?

Lastly, Ramsey in midfield next to Xhaka doesn't work. I don't know what the answer there is, other than getting Cazorla back, but this pairing doesn't work. I would have rather seen Bellerin on the right and Ox in the middle next to Xhaka.

Who knows, maybe I will be proven wrong, but I am not impressed by this starting XI.

IMO Wenger has lost his mind.

Welbeck looked horrible last week against Stoke and he is starting today over Lacazette?
Also, another week with Bellerin on the left instead of his better side the right. I can understand playing Ox over Bellerin on the right, but why is Kolasinac not starting on the left?

Lastly, Ramsey in midfield next to Xhaka doesn't work. I don't know what the answer there is, other than getting Cazorla back, but this pairing doesn't work. I would have rather seen Bellerin on the right and Ox in the middle next to Xhaka.

Who knows, maybe I will be proven wrong, but I am not impressed by this starting XI.
Agreed, agreed, agreed!

No Lacazette...no Kolasinac...Bellerin out of position again. Mother f@$)((!!

I can't even watch the match because I hate Liverpool and Arsenal is so disgracefully lifeless.

Whelp it seems Koemen has the tactical ability of Gary Neville.

Arsenal can thank West Ham, for not being the worst defense in epl.
Wenger the last few years reminds be of Bowden at the end.

The blame truthfully falls on the brass at the top of The Arsenal's Board. Because they didn't plan for a successor, they were forced to cave in and give Wenger another 2 years. Now that it is CLEARLY evident that was a mistake, it's time to bite the bullet and let him go. Management by committee is better than management by Wenger; he has obviously lost this team, and now we see why Sanchez wanted out. Let his assistants run the show, pray they don't get relegated, and start working on a new manager NOW!

Entirely predictable. I would expect Arsenal to get several beatings like this during the course of the season. And not just from top 4 sides.

Wenger the last few years reminds be of Bowden at the end.

I have been saying this exact thing for the past 2-3 years. When I say it or type it everyone seems to ignore it. As an Arsenal fan I feel like I am going through the exact same situation I went through as an FSU fan.

Granted this was on the road at Liverpool, but was this Arsene's Wake Forest game?

At this point something needs to change and it needs to change quickly. I don't know that there is enough time before the transfer window closes, but several players need to exit the club and several new additions are needed. Without that happening 2017-2018 is going to be an average season and next year will be without any type of European Football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT