ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest New Footie Thread

I strongly prefer Leno. Also there's this...

https://arseblog.news/2019/05/arsenal-awaiting-acceptable-guarantees-on-mkhitaryan-safety-in-baku/

ARSENAL AWAITING ‘ACCEPTABLE GUARANTEES’ ON MKHITARYAN SAFETY IN BAKU
In a statement this afternoon, Arsenal said:
We are seeking guarantees from UEFA that it will be safe for Henrikh Mikhitaryan to travel to Baku for the Europa League Final, which both Arsenal and Micki require for him to be included within our squad.

Acceptable guarantees have not been received yet, and we hope that UEFA will be able to supply these promptly. We are of course hugely concerned that the location of the final could lead to him not being able to play in a European final.

=============
This is total BS!

Arsenal should tell UEFA, "No Mkhi...no match!"

I strongly prefer Leno. Also there's this...

https://arseblog.news/2019/05/arsenal-awaiting-acceptable-guarantees-on-mkhitaryan-safety-in-baku/

ARSENAL AWAITING ‘ACCEPTABLE GUARANTEES’ ON MKHITARYAN SAFETY IN BAKU
In a statement this afternoon, Arsenal said:
We are seeking guarantees from UEFA that it will be safe for Henrikh Mikhitaryan to travel to Baku for the Europa League Final, which both Arsenal and Micki require for him to be included within our squad.

Acceptable guarantees have not been received yet, and we hope that UEFA will be able to supply these promptly. We are of course hugely concerned that the location of the final could lead to him not being able to play in a European final.

=============
This is total BS!

Arsenal should tell UEFA, "No Mkhi...no match!"

I agree. I don't understand why they ever scheduled the final there to begin with, regardless of the eventual finalists.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Lizards, and Gunners on here.

If both Chelsea and Arsenal can field a somewhat full squad (i.e. no more injuries b/w now and the final), I propose an old school Signature bet.

Lizards and I would have to add something to our signatures (can be chosen by you Gunners) should Arsenal win and vice versa should Chelsea win. The signatures to be added can be sorted out closer to the final, but as long as they don't violate any board rules and they are all in good fun, I'd be game.

I'd propose that we must keep it on until July 1st and all the losing participants would have to add at least 1 post to this thread daily until then (or at least say 5 days a week)?

Lizards you good with this?

Gunners you good?

All in good fun anyways.

All that being said, I've got no confidence that Chelsea can field a full 18 of experienced players (i.e. no youth team players to fill out the numbers) as we seem to be crumbling as we play match #63 in the UEL finals. Don't know if you know this (but as I'm sure Lizards can attest) this was only mentioned about 100 times on Thursday's semi-final matchday (along with the fact that's the most among any team in the top 5 leagues).

Hope I didn't just jinx us. :)

If both Chelsea and Arsenal can field a somewhat full squad (i.e. no more injuries b/w now and the final), I propose an old school Signature bet.

Lizards and I would have to add something to our signatures (can be chosen by you Gunners) should Arsenal win and vice versa should Chelsea win. The signatures to be added can be sorted out closer to the final, but as long as they don't violate any board rules and they are all in good fun, I'd be game.

I'd propose that we must keep it on until July 1st and all the losing participants would have to add at least 1 post to this thread daily until then (or at least say 5 days a week)?

Gunners you good?

All in good fun anyways.

All that being said, I've got no confidence that Chelsea can field a full 18 of experienced players (i.e. no youth team players to fill out the numbers) as we seem to be crumbling as we play match #63 in the UEL finals. Don't know if you know this (but as I'm sure Lizards can attest) this was only mentioned about 100 times on Thursday's semi-final matchday (along with the fact that's the most among any team in the top 5 leagues).

Fine by me, but I'm not that confident. One, Arsenal's incentive to win is higher, and two, they've owned us of late.

Gunners you good?

All in good fun anyways.

I cannot agree to this part...

I don't post on Warchant very often anymore, and over the summer I can guarantee I won't be here to post 5 days a week.

Also, there is no way Arsenal is going to field a full strength squad with Bellerin & Ramsey out.

I agree. I don't understand why they ever scheduled the final there to begin with, regardless of the eventual finalists.

I have commented this in many places already.

I don't understand why they don't just move the game to England. Teams 8 miles apart having to travel over 2400 miles to play a game is insane. It could be held at Wembly, or even better at the new toilet bowl in North London. That would also give Arsenal a chance to win a trophy on sp*rs ground before they do, lol.

Regardless of squad strength, the fact The Arsenal has all the incentive and that they've handled Chelsea as of late, I think those are mitigating factors in the Blues' favor, given history. Having said that, I'm in. Love a good friendly wager like this.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Has this happened before, where all 4 finalists hail from the same league?

Nice to see Salford City win promotion into the Football League. I'm rooting hard for Pompei to move up to the Championship and Aston Villa to move back up to the Premiereship. I was glad to see Sheffield United move up and would like to see former Euro winners Nottingham Forest again move up some day, Leeds too, because of the fierce rivalries that Leeds has with United, Liverpool and Chelsea. I believe United fans hate Leeds more than anyone.

Just as Arsenal fans have to stomach rooting for Liverpool over the Spurs, I have to stomach rooting for City, today.

I'm rooting for Burnley today, so that United doesnt have to play the extra 6 games to qualify for the Europa in July and August, but I am rooting for Arse to beat Chelsea so that the EPL, again, has 5 teams in the CL.

Reactions: seminoleed
My neighbor across the street grew up in the shadow of Villa Park, and is absolutely giddy about their possibilities. Somehow, though, he married a girl from Wolverhampton. Isn't that kinda like one of us marrying a Gator?

Reactions: Manch.
So Pewl suffers a single defeat in league play all season and still doesn't take the silverware.

Reactions: Manch.
So what is Man U going to do over the summer to fix their mess? Sanchez has been a disaster. Pogba, despite his talent, will never be happy. Their defense is bad. Martial doesn't seem to take the game seriously. Mata is probably leaving. Lukaku doesn't seem to fit in the new scheme. Looks like they need a complete overhaul. But on the bright side for them, they have shown a willingness to spend money.

No "away goals" in the Championship promotion playoffs? Hmmm, West Brom just got beat with PK's and they had that 1 away goal advantage (or lack of advantage).

I'd rather see the former league winners and their awesome kits back in the top flight, anyways.

I kind of want Leeds, but it will suck to watch MUFC lose twice a year to those filthy basterds!

No "away goals" in the Championship promotion playoffs? Hmmm, West Brom just got beat with PK's and they had that 1 away goal advantage (or lack of advantage).

I'd rather see the former league winners and their awesome kits back in the top flight, anyways.

I kind of want Leeds, but it will suck to watch MUFC lose twice a year to those filthy basterds!

I'm fine with Aston Villa, Leeds, or Derby. Just didn't want West Brom. They bore me.

I've mentioned previously that my neighbor across the street was raised just outside of
Villa Park. He is in ecstasy today.

As well, one of my sons in his academy days was coached by a former Leeds player, so that's another team I can support, despite their financial shenanigans.

Leeds....so that's another team I can support, despite their financial shenanigans.

It would be fun watching the Peasant and Leeds fans fighting over stolen hubcaps!!

Only a few good things ever came out of Leeds....King Cantona, Rio Ferdinand, Denis Irwin...

Sheffield United and Leeds will also be must watch TV for an otherwise boring match between two newly promoted teams. Spike TV could cover the match. Joe Rogan could commentate.

Thankfully, for the good of all non-criminal Premier League fans, Leeds has been eliminated. No stabbings to worry about in 2019-2020.

Your dislike of Liverpool and Leeds, puts you at the top of my list of favorite footie fans! I detest both if them!

Your dislike of Liverpool and Leeds, puts you at the top of my list of favorite footie fans! I detest both if them!
To be fair, I don't know much about Leeds other than their reputation. There are a few clubs that I'd steer clear of at all costs, out of fear for my safety:

Millwall
Leeds
Lazio
Liverpool

I don’t know anything about Derby County, but it would be interesting to have a new club in the Premier League, especially if Frank Lampard is their manager.

I don’t know anything about Derby County, but it would be interesting to have a new club in the Premier League, especially if Frank Lampard is their manager.

Wonder if they'd sack him and bring in a skipper with EPL managing experience....say Louis van Gaal, or José Mourinho, or David Moyes..... John Terry is an ass at Aston Villa.

Looks like the "bet" is off.

Lizards posted a link above about RLC's injury.

I just hope Kante will be healthy by then.

Ridiculous the number of injuries Chelsea players have picked up the last few weeks.

Ruben -> achilles; long term, not expecting anything until Nov/Dec. at the earliest.

Callum Hudson-Odoi -> achilles; long term, not expecting anything until Nov./Dec. at the earliest

Rudiger -> meniscus -> semi long term, out of Baku finals, but should be good to go at the start of preseason (barring any complications)

Kante -> hamstring -> hoping for the best and that he's good to go for Baku, but far from a certainty

Christensen -> knock -> has already returned, but missed a some time towards the end of the campaign

Ampadu -> literal growing pains -> when I saw him on the pitch for the lap of honour, he looked liked he's grown ~ 4" since the start of the year. He was having back problems for most of this calendar year as a result. Hoping he and the medical staff find a way to control the issue going forward (RLC has had back issues for years now and as a result isn't always able to train regularly).

Not to mention the normal tired legs/knocks that every player has at the end of a campaign.

I'm guessing all 4 finalists have a fairly long list of minor injuries and probably more than just a couple of names on the long term injury list.

Despite footy not being a collision sport, it seems like injury lists are often as long if not longer than collision sports like football and hockey.

I'm happy about the Championship Playoff finals being Derby v Aston Villa.

I've got a couple of friends who are Villa supporters (they are from that part of England).

In addition, I know that they is hate from non-Chelsea supporters for John Terry, but I'm happy for him personally. In addition, Tammy Abraham is a Chelsea loanee at Villa. He's the 2nd leading goal scorer in the Championship this year.

As an aside, how the hell do Dwight Gayle and Jay Rodriguez have 24 and 22 goals respectively for WBA this year?

For Derby, (who I will cheer for to win) in addition to Lampard being the manager, they've got 2 Chelsea loanees who played a huge part in their campaign. Also Jody Morris, a former Chelsea player and former youth team manager is one of their assistants (he's also one of Lampard's best friends). Their player of the year was CD Fiyaki Tomori who plays for England's youth teams but was actually born in Canada and also represented Canada in U20 comps at one point before switching to England (he also could have played for Nigeria based on parents place of birth).

The straw that stirs the drink for them is Chelsea loanee Mason Mount (has been compared to Frank Lampard for his style of play the last few years) and when he missed about 6 weeks in Feb. it was no surprise that they did extremely poorly.

Lastly, looks like Derby may start Ashley Cole at LB for the finals (he came on for the last few mins of leg 2 against Leeds after an injury to the regular starter).

Wonder if they'd sack him and bring in a skipper with EPL managing experience....say Louis van Gaal, or José Mourinho, or David Moyes..... John Terry is an ass at Aston Villa.
I'd be beyond shocked if Derby fired Lampard should they win promotion. Lampard may leave to manage a bigger side (I'm sure there will be continual Chelsea links), but I don't see Derby parting ways with Lamps.

I'm more interested in seeing how many of the loanees they have on their squad (should they win promotion) they'd be able to keep? I know from Chelsea's perspective, they'd only be able to keep one of Tomori or Mount (EPL rules say max 1 loanee from another team), but not sure if say they have 2 Liverpool loanees (I know they have at least one in Harry Wilson).

mkhi_20.jpg

HenrikhMkhitaryantomissEuropaLeaguefinal
Arsenal Media 21 May 2019

We are very disappointed to announce that Henrikh Mkhitaryan will not be travelling with the squad for our Uefa Europa League final against Chelsea.

We have thoroughly explored all the options for Micki to be part of the squad but after discussing this with Micki and his family we have collectively agreed he will not be in our travelling party.

We have written to Uefa expressing our deep concerns about this situation. Micki has been a key player in our run to the final so this is a big loss for us from a team perspective.

We’re also very sad that a player will miss out on a major European final in circumstances such as this, as it is something that comes along very rarely in a footballer’s career.

Micki will continue to be part of our preparations until we depart for Baku at the weekend.
====================================
Effing BS!
Total Effing BS!
I'm livid and so disappointed in Arsenal.

There should've been precisely one response when it was clear that Mkhi's safety was not guaranteed. "Hey UEFA and Baku...No Mkhi? No match!" Period. End of story.

Watch how quickly everyone would've scampered to guarantee his safety had that been our response!

No. Instead, we get some hot-headed ambassador to the UK making THREATS against Mkhi, and Arsenal's response is to say, "OK, we'll leave him at home then."

I've never been so disappointed to be an Arsenal supporter.

We should be boycotting this match!

Yes indeedy. The way Sarri stormed off the practice pitch yesterday bodes well for The Arsenal. Wish Khatch was with us, but I think we have the players to pull this off.

COYG!

Yeah, pains me to say it, but the Blues were superior physically and tactically. Emery now knows what he has to buy this offseason...defense, defense, defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT