ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest New Footie Thread

So, the USMNT announced their Gold Cup roster for this summer. Why in the hell is Michael Bradley still one of the 23 on the roster? This is the beginning of a new World Cup cycle and he is still taking up a spot. What is the point?

GOALKEEPERS (3): 12 - Sean Johnson (New York City FC), 22 - Tyler Miller (Los Angeles Football Club), 1 - Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC)

DEFENDERS (8): 14 - Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig), 3 - Omar Gonzalez (Toronto FC), 2 - Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes), 23 - Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), 16 - Daniel Lovitz(Montreal Impact), 19 - Matt Miazga (Chelsea), 13 - Tim Ream (Fulham), 5 - Walker Zimmerman (Los Angeles Football Club)

MIDFIELDERS (6): 4 - Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), 20 - Duane Holmes (Derby County), 8 - Weston McKennie (Schalke 04), 10 - Christian Pulisic (Chelsea), 15 - Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders), 6 - Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)

FORWARDS (6): 17 - Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), 7 - Paul Arriola (D.C. United), 21 - Tyler Boyd (Vitória Guimãres), 18 - Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids), 11 - Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders), 9 - Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC)

Reactions: nole31906
And we get fat boy Altidore, but Josh Sargent sits out? The future of our national team is its youth, and we get this? As expected, Berhalter is an idiot. I feel for Sargent; he was kept out of the U-20 WC so he could be with the national team, and this the result?

In the same way I'm already rooting against the USWNT seeing as how they've already started making it political, I'm strong considering abandoning this as well. Hell, Jurgen would've done better than this.

Sargent got royally screwed by all of USSoccer. The whole point of the Gold Cup was to prep the youngsters for the next WC cycle. Some are on there, sure (Pulisic, Adams, McKennie), but those dudes are world class already.

Sargent not getting any PT in either tournament is a colossal failure on management.

I'm really hopeful Gonzalez is only on this roster because we have a boatload of injuries to current better defenders.

BTW, Trapp is just as bad as Bradley, just a younger version. We'll never see it, but I wish we'd have the trio of Pulisic/Adams/McKennie be our central mids, but for some reason USSoccer is absolutely insistent on having Bradley (and his mini-me, Trapp) take up space (and consistently lose possession) there instead.

Reactions: seminoleed
2 matches into the Women's World Cup, and....I'm not sure I can watch another non-USA match. This is brutal on all accounts. And France and Germany are supposed to be contenders...

Never been able to watch non-USA matches myself.

And frankly, unless it’s a match between Top 20ish sides, men’s national team matches are tough too, even in the WC/Euros Group stage.

South Africa vs Panama is unwatchable, regardless of the gender.

Are we ever going to get male players that actually CARE to represent the USA again? Amazing that, in light of what happened in 2017, we're seeing this level of "effort" less than 2 years after that debacle. And USSoccer (and this now includes Berkhalter) don't seem to be bothered by it at all. They're just going to continue to trot out the same players and make us look ridiculously stupid.

If we don't see a Pulisic/McKennie/Adams central midfield, I really fear we're not going to get out of the group stage of the Gold Cup.

Well, can't say I'm a big fan our women's team now, either. It's one thing to destroy an over-matched opponent, but to celebrate each goal like it's the final match is embarrassing and uncalled for. Act like you've been there before.

I can see both sides of the argument. It is the World Cup, and God-knows how I'd celebrate if I scored there regardless of the situation!

With that said, it was obvious that Thailand was overmatched from the opening kickoff. The keeper was a midget with credit card hops who looked like that was her very first time in net. Morgan was trying to solidify the Golden Boot in Game 1 (watch how she pretty much never passed within 30yds of the net).

It's one thing to play your game and score a lot. It's another thing to celebrate like you haven't been there before...Morgan & Lloyd had no business celebrating late in the game.

On top of it, why did they sub another attacking option part way through the second half and take off a defender? I'm not saying they needed to just sit on the lead, but it sure looked like they were stuffing it down the throat of Thailand and then gloating about it.

It's one thing to play your game and score a lot. It's another thing to celebrate like you haven't been there before...Morgan & Lloyd had no business celebrating late in the game.

On top of it, why did they sub another attacking option part way through the second half and take off a defender? I'm not saying they needed to just sit on the lead, but it sure looked like they were stuffing it down the throat of Thailand and then gloating about it.

The sub thing really made no sense. They sub'd in 3 players that will be vital in the run through this tournament after the game was well out of hand. Play a few other fringe-PT players in that position. Give them some time to figure it out at this level. Let those super-subs save their legs for more important matches.

But this is par for the course for anything USSoccer-related.

Reactions: seminoleed
10 CONEMBOL teams + 2 invites. It's why USA and Mexico played in it a few years ago.

More importantly, how is Qatar being in any way competitive in this tournament? That should be asked among the media.

Meh opening match for the USMNT, although they got the job done in the end. The first 30-ish mins it looked like a 50/50 match, which is a little concerning given Guyana is ranked 177th in the world. Far and away the best players on the field were Pulisic, Arriola, and Boyd (who might be a sneaky-good pickup from New Zealand). Yet again, Bradley provided nothing but back passes, and Zardes provided nothing but bad touches. Those 2 will ruin any chance this team has of being offensively successful against tougher teams.

Well that was nice and unexpected. Best match played under Berhalter. Sticking with Zardes over Altidore might've finally paid off for him.

That should be the last we ever see of Michael Bradley. McKennie might've lost the 50/50, but if Bradley isn't so slow and/or clueless (supposedly he's a "defensive" mid), Mexico's goal doesn't happen. Ugh, such a wasted opportunity.

Tata completely schooled Berhalter in the 2nd half.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/club-statement-laurent-koscielny

"Laurent Koscielny has refused to travel to the US for our pre-season tour.

We are very disappointed by Laurent’s actions, which are against our clear instructions.

We hope to resolve this matter and will not be providing any further comment at this time."
=================
tenor.gif

This actually leads me to a question I've had for a while (especially after Berhalter played musical captains in the Gold Cup): does being designated a "captain" in soccer really mean anything at all? Ok, so in that given game the guy gets to talk to the ref...they all do anyways in certain situations.

In Europe, at least, it's considered an honor and a sign of respect for the recipient. It won't cost him any money to lose it, but he's clearly put himself ahead of the team.

Maybe he could try out for the USWNT--his me-first attitude would fit right in

And now he's "on strike" because The Arsenal won't meet his demands, which are almost certainly more than his age and skill set justify. I'd just park him on the developmental squad bench and let him rot.

I have mixed reactions to this. The awesomeness that is Kolasinac is obvious, but he may have ruined the best chance The Arsenal had of ridding itself of the what to do with Ozil problem.

Is the annual EPL Fantasy League being setup across the pond for us to join again this year?

Is the annual EPL Fantasy League being setup across the pond for us to join again this year?

Yes, and again everyone is invited. If you have been in the league before, you should join automatically when you enter your new team. Otherwise, the league name is the Trans-Atlantic League and code is deggp6.

All sorts of Gooner activity yesterday/today:

• Jenko - sold to Nottingham Forest
  • Eddie Nketiah - likely going to Bristol City on loan (not in favor of this)
  • Arsenal were never interested in Coutinho allegedly...AND Coutinho has rejected a loan move to spuds.
  • Everton allegedly bid 30mil GBP for Iwobi and Arsenal said no - WHY?!
  • DC United in for Ozil...really?! Please let it be true!
  • Welbz has signed for Watford
  • David Luiz allegedly trying to force a move to Arsenal.

Dayum that's a lot of activity!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT