ADVERTISEMENT

The Official 2018 World Cup Thread...

I know how the ticketing system works. That has no relevance to your earlier post about what Eales said with regard to demand. If the demand is not there, the profit will not be as high. If there are 70k people in Atlanta wanting to watch a mid-season MLS match, then, certainly there will be that many, if not more wanting to watch a World Cup group stage, so in turn, the ticket prices can be set accordingly. What Eales said is extremely significant to the bid.
All I said is that matches will sell out, regardless of venue. If you disagree with me, then argue that point.

I don't care what Eales said. I don't care how much Atlanta draws for an MLS match. It's irrelevant to my point...which is the point I care about.

All I said is that matches will sell out, regardless of venue. If you disagree with me, then argue that point.

I don't care what Eales said. I don't care how much Atlanta draws for an MLS match. It's irrelevant to my point...which is the point I care about.

Not sure where I'm losing you.

Of course all matches will sell out in all venues especially if ticket prices are say $50.

Now the point is, will all matches sell out in all venues if ticket prices are $5000 each? Probably not. But demonstrating high demand for the product (53k for a MLS team), which in turn, induces maximum profit, which is all FIFA cares about.

Wonder if the Mods can get the United 2026 Selection and the actual WC 2018 thread separated out? Gonna be rough coming in here to talk matches and fight through all the 2026 pissing match posts.
I think all the 2026 talk will subside starting tomorrow when the matches kick off.

It was my bad for starting a thread on the 2018 World Cup, and then making the first post about 2026.

200.gif

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Or, maybe just admit you misspoke and save us both some time? Unless you work for Darden or Holder, I cannot imagine how you would know how 'cheaply' a project of this magnitude was constructed.
Love the condescension.
Have you been in that stadium? It's full of expensive ideas with cheap execution. I uppose Darden or Holder wouldn't tell you that though. Will be very curious what sort of shape that stadium is in within 10 years.

Love the condescension.
Have you been in that stadium? It's full of expensive ideas with cheap execution. I uppose Darden or Holder wouldn't tell you that though. Will be very curious what sort of shape that stadium is in within 10 years.

Yes, probably 20 times. I was just on the field last Saturday. Yourself? When post crap without any way to back it up, you are completely deserving of condescension. If I did the same, I would expect no less.

Care to cite any examples of cheap execution? Have you been in the locker rooms? The club section? The suites? The field level boxes? I have. Everything is the highest quality. If you want some complaints? Site lines for soccer in the lower level is not great. The beer selection in the Delta club is poor. The servers at the BBQ place under 126C are idiots. The food selection under 129C is poor. The line to get into club gets a little long sometimes. The bridge over Northside drive is stupid. I wish the roof have been working day one, but when it is open, it's pretty amazing. The Home Depot backyard is taking a while.

Calling it: Argentina doesn't make it out of the group stage.

I've got Russia winning 1-0 tomorrow in a really boring game.

Rooting for Iceland. Hope Mexico goes 0-3 and shutout in every match. While I think France will flop, they have a cakewalk to the Final 4, which will be Brazil (that Quarterfinal with Belgium will be the best matchup till the final), Germany...and some random team so I'll predict Croatia

Saudi vs Russia kicks it off at 11am EST today.

My office is having a WC party tomorrow at 1 for Spain vs Portugal. I remember the WC party’s in bars across America when the US played in previous WCs.

I'm rooting, sort of, for Portugal because Spain fired its coach this week.

Yes, probably 20 times. I was just on the field last Saturday. Yourself? When post crap without any way to back it up, you are completely deserving of condescension. If I did the same, I would expect no less.

Care to cite any examples of cheap execution? Have you been in the locker rooms? The club section? The suites? The field level boxes? I have. Everything is the highest quality. If you want some complaints? Site lines for soccer in the lower level is not great. The beer selection in the Delta club is poor. The servers at the BBQ place under 126C are idiots. The food selection under 129C is poor. The line to get into club gets a little long sometimes. The bridge over Northside drive is stupid. I wish the roof have been working day one, but when it is open, it's pretty amazing. The Home Depot backyard is taking a while.
You're entertaining and very defensive. Look man, maybe the boxes are super fancy and gold plated but the finishings in the general areas are noticeably cheap and the entry/exits are exceptionally poorly laid out. Oh and the sphincter roof is still a cluster.

I'll say something positive, it is connected to public transpo, which is more than can be said for ATL's other stadium boondoggle.

A bunch of good friends are in Russia right now for the cup. We woke up very early a few months ago and all tried to buy tickets via FIFA.com so they could get the corresponding Visas that came with the tickets. Prices for the games were actually quite cheap. What I also noticed is that the group stages seem very watered down this year due to the absence of Italy, Netherlands, USA and Chile.

I think like most years, only a few teams actually have a chance. I would say those teams are Germany, France, Spain, Brazil and Argentina. Also the possibility that Uruguay since this is probably the last cup we will see Suarez and Cavani together. Belgium is also highly talked about obviously but they always seem to come up short and not really perform to their level at the WC.

We’ll see what happens but should be a great cup once it goes to the knockout stages. I think the group stages will be predictable. Some games look great on paper and hopefully they are. Without Italy or USA in it I don’t really have a player in the game but I’ll be rooting for Uruguay followed by Croatia. As far as who I think will win it, I’m gonna say France (if they can put it all together of course).

Reactions: LesClaypool
Enough of that though. Back on topic.

I'm rooting for Mexico, Spain, Argentina, and Colombia (oh and of course The Super Eagles).

Also rooting for anyone that's playing Russia.

Reactions: stevemacc
Are you Italian or Dutch? Because no true American would say this!
I've been through this before w/ some other posters.
I'm American, born in Georgia, and have no Mexican heritage. They're our neighbors, friends, and allies. I'm rooting for them inspite of lore that they'll throw pee at Americans.

Not here to re-hash that debate.

Peru back with its best player - so we have a puncher’s chance if making it to the elimination round. First game vs Denmark - looking to cool up some traditional dishes for the game.

It’s suppose to rain all weekend - so looks like a lot of WC and US Open watching, while wife binge watches Netflix and the 5 y.o. gors bonkers.

I'm American, born in Georgia, and have no Mexican heritage. They're our neighbors, friends, and allies. I'm rooting for them inspite of lore that they'll throw pee at Americans.

So will you be chanting, in sec style, CON CA CAF! CON CA CAF!?

So will you be chanting, in sec style, CON CA CAF! CON CA CAF!?
Hadn't planned on it, though I'll prob root for a few of its member teams.

More likely than not I'll just pick up teams who's style of play I enjoy while watching.

I take it that you don’t really follow soccer and or US soccer in general?

Reactions: fsUTampa
I take it that you don’t really follow soccer and or US soccer in general?
I'm like most folks in this country, I really only soccer once every four years. As mentioned, I had this debate at length on this board so if you have opinions on my rooting for Mexico, save them for yourself.

These are going to be some weird games. Opening ceremony included.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reliable is rooting for Mexico? Thread is done, and he is being reported :)

There are only a few games on this weekend during prime day-drinking hours but I know Brazil is in one. I don't really care who wins but I would like to see Argentina stay alive as long as possible. The more I can get to watch Messi the better.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
I'm like most folks in this country, I really only soccer once every four years. As mentioned, I had this debate at length on this board so if you have opinions on my rooting for Mexico, save them for yourself.

Ok so that’s why I asked. You arent familiar with the sport. Do you root for Florida in tourneys or championship games? It’s just a rare thing for an American to root for Mexico in anything soccer related but if you don’t really follow the sport or know much about it then it’s kind of understandable.

Ok so that’s why I asked. You arent familiar with the sport. Do you root for Florida in tourneys or championship games? It’s just a rare thing for an American to root for Mexico in anything soccer related but if you don’t really follow the sport or know much about it then it’s kind of understandable.
I like Mexico. I like their food, I like their people, I like their culture. I like visiting there. I'm rooting for them.

I don't like Gainesville. It's a podunk town with no redeeming cultural value and no reason to visit other than our biannual beating of them.

Why are we still talking about this?

Another streaming option is to use the "Fox Sports Go" mobile app (it's better than the regular "Fox Sports" app).

You should be able to log in using your cable provider. It's enabled for Chromecast, which is nice.

I like Mexico. I like their food, I like their people, I like their culture. I like visiting there. I'm rooting for them.

I don't like Gainesville. It's a podunk town with no redeeming cultural value and no reason to visit other than our biannual beating of them.

Why are we still talking about this?

Because this is a message board and you posted a statement in a World Cup thread in the message board. You don’t have to keep responding. I like Mexican food too. That doesn’t mean, as a soccer fan who follows the sport, I will root for our biggest rival. Hence why I asked about Florida.

Reactions: GwinnettNole
Because this is a message board and you posted a statement in a World Cup thread in the message board. You don’t have to keep responding. I like Mexican food too. That doesn’t mean, as a soccer fan who follows the sport, I will root for our biggest rival. Hence why I asked about Florida.
Awesome, that settles that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT