ADVERTISEMENT

The Official 2018 World Cup Thread...

is Russia good or Saudis that bad?
Looks like more of the latter than the former.
Saudis have had a couple decent looks in the 2nd half.

I just want a close game - ideally w/ Russia losing, which seems unlikely at the mo.

Amazing patience there in the box for a smooth finish... the Saudis just didn't body up at all. Those slide tackle attempts looks like someone was just hitting buttons on an Playstation.

That first-touch chip over the defender to setup the shot was an awesome move!

Reactions: southgateNOLE
Saudi is that bad. Heck, Russia is so bad they have been booed off the field their past few games by their own fans.

Just wait until the field expands to 48 teams. It will be like Barcelona or Real Madrid playing the lower teams of La Liga and winning by 5-8 goals. In other words, it won't be fun to watch.

Saudi is that bad. Heck, Russia is so bad they have been booed off the field their past few games by their own fans.

Just wait until the field expands to 48 teams. It will be like Barcelona or Real Madrid playing the lower teams of La Liga and winning by 5-8 goals. In other words, it won't be fun to watch.
What's driving the expansion to 48 teams?
I assume simply $$?

Reactions: LesClaypool
I'm not sure what sort of delay my stream is on but I'm in the 84th minute and the FIFA site already shows Russia with the W and Saudi Arabia with the L. Weird. Or do soccer standings reflect as the current status of the game?

What's driving the expansion to 48 teams?
I assume simply $$?
Yep. 100% money.

I don’t know of anyone, other than teams that would otherwise have next to hope of qualifying under the present 32-team format, that are in favorite of it.

It’s going to water down the field.

I'm going to add Uruguay to my list of teams I like.

Uruguayan women are extremely attractive, I could barely get out of the airport in Montevideo without falling in love, and they've also got that guy who bites people. Seems like an asset during a WC held in mother russia.

I'm not sure what sort of delay my stream is on but I'm in the 84th minute and the FIFA site already shows Russia with the W and Saudi Arabia with the L. Weird. Or do soccer standings reflect as the current status of the game?

Based on the timestamp of your post, your stream was behind almost 10 minutes.

Yep. 100% money.

I don’t know of anyone, other than teams that would otherwise have next to hope of qualifying under the present 32-team format, that are in favorite of it.

It’s going to water down the field.

I haven't seen a proposed setup for a 48-team tournament yet. 6 teams per group of 8? I can't see that, so I'm assuming it'll be 4 teams per group of 12, with 24 in the KO stages, top 8 (however they determine that) gets a 1st KO round bye?

Rooting:

Germany (my favorite)

Poland
Iceland
Denmark
Croatia
Sweden
Australia
Japan

The rest can rot, especially the SA/CA teams, although I do have a soft spot for Argentina.

I haven't seen a proposed setup for a 48-team tournament yet. 6 teams per group of 8? I can't see that, so I'm assuming it'll be 4 teams per group of 12, with 24 in the KO stages, top 8 (however they determine that) gets a 1st KO round bye?

From what I have heard, they will keep the 4 teams per group setup. This would be 12 groups of 4 and top 2 from each group would make the knockout stage. From there they would have 8 teams get a bye, but I'm not sure how they will determine that. I'm sure points in the group stage would be included, but I have no clue how they would break ties...maybe FIFA Rankings?

EURO 2016 did something similar, just with less teams. They had 12 teams in the knockout stage instead of the previous 8.

Format is going to be 16 groups of 3 teams with the top 2 advancing from each group. Then single elimination for last 32

Format is going to be 16 groups of 3 teams with the top 2 advancing from each group. Then single elimination for last 32

I just dug up an article to read about that format, and I don't like it. There is definitely a possibility for a loaded group or two with that format. Also, every group will have a team sit & watch the other 2 play their first games. Then when they play their opponent will already know if a win or tie will guarantee them advancement.

We shall see how it works, but it is going to be different that's for sure.

Much more entertaining day ahead of us today, culminating w/the Iberian War @ 2pm ET...

FRIDAY, JUNE 15
Egypt vs. Uruguay

8 a.m. ET

FS1

Morocco vs. Iran

11 a.m. ET

Fox

Portugal vs. Spain

2 p.m. ET

Fox

A few familiar superstars are on the pitch in this first Uraguay/Egypt match at 8.

Oops..Didn't realize Saleh was out.
I read there’s a chance he subs in later.

Egypt holding their own thus far. Kind of rooting for them. I want to see Uruguay and Egypt come out of this group. They’ll both need to beat Russia (or equalize that five goal outburst they had yesterday).

Game is a little sloppy from Uruguay. The stadium is also a bit whacky with the seats outside of the actual stadium.

Mark Followill on the call (from Los Angeles)!! I remember when this dude was doing the 10/30/50 tickers for the local sports radio station in Dallas.

Egypt would be up 3-0 at halftime if Salah was healthy.

Suarez's WC curse continues....

Egypt's GK brought his big boy pants today
For sure.

th

Egypt keeper is having a fantastic day.

Edit: Spoke too soon but not much he could do about that ball.

Would be a good time for Saleh.

Egypt had already made their 3 subs. My guess is they were hoping for a draw and save Salah for another 4 days' worth of rest, as this game is technically meaningless. If they win their next 2 (and they should...) they advance regardless of today's result.

Egypt had already made their 3 subs. My guess is they were hoping for a draw and save Salah for another 4 days' worth of rest, as this game is technically meaningless. If they win their next 2 (and they should...) they advance regardless of today's result.
but adds quite a bit of meaning to their russia match, russia simply has to hope for a draw (and hope that egypt doesn't rack up more than 5 goals on the saudis.

Reactions: southgateNOLE
Didn't get to watch, did the turfshark chomp anyone today?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT