ADVERTISEMENT

The Unvacionated

I want housing prices and rents to drop dramatically, and I really hope that they do in the next few years. That has been the one thing that I have hoped to see change the entire time that I have been here.
Do you own a home? If so you dont want prices to drop.

Reactions: fsufool
I thought all the commune folks moved to Idaho anyway.
1*mW-maN-AJJor1xDbMOhQug.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: GeddyLee09
Do you mind me asking what your rent goes for these days?

The average rent in my neighborhood is about $3800/month.
That's not bad on houses valued around 1.8 million. Lots of owners losing money on that deal unless they all got in 20 years ago. Heck, rents in Florida are almost that high on the coast.

Is that for a house or apartment?

Indeed, there was/is so much B.S. going on about covid and vaccines.

The loudest voices are the least educated while the experts and scientists are ignored by half the population that didn't finish college...
I would rather listen to the loudest voices than the so-called experts and scientists. The loudest voices ended up knowing more than your educated people.

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
I never notice gas prices, as I take public transit most of the time. As for taxes, I support and appreciate how they are used by our government, so I don't mind those either. I actually feel like I get way more value from the system than what I pay in. Nevertheless, it is an amazingly beautiful place to live and work.

Don’t mind the taxes? God bless ya.

I’ve lived in Florida my whole life

65 years

Was never robbed like strong armed, but my house was broken into by an employee

Work was slow so to keep the men busy and receiving a paycheck I had them do stuff around the house

Ungrateful punk broke in

There is plenty of crime in Florida, California and Alabama

But Alabama and Florida prosecute the criminals!

Nice of you to refer to many of your fellow vets as cancers.

I think there is a difference here. There are the homeless who are truly homeless and are down on their luck and seeking and wanting help.. the resources absolutely should be there to help them..

Then there are those who are homeless who don’t want help, refuses help, commits crimes, assaults, thefts, drug use.. that may be the cancer he is referring to here.. how do you help the people who refuse it?

I think there is a difference here. There are the homeless who are truly homeless and are down on their luck and seeking and wanting help.. the resources absolutely should be there to help them..

Then there are those who are homeless who don’t want help, refuses help, commits crimes, assaults, thefts, drug use.. that may be the cancer he is referring to here.. how do you help the people who refuse it?
So, which category do vets fall in? How many are in each group? Please give me the number of vets who are cancers.

This is silliness. Are you suggesting that homelessness is not a cancer (meaning something unwanted and in need of eradicating)? Eradicating homelessness is a good thing, isn't it? Some of you guys are arguing for the sake of it. By the way, I think vets are about 5% of total homeless in this country.

GO NOLES!!!

Those who are refusing help. Those who are robbing and assaulting others. Those who are doing drugs and living in skid row without wanting help or wanting to get better.
As much as you want to play the white knight, no distinction was made. A blanket was thrown over all of the homeless and his fellow veterans are one of the largest groups. That is wrong IMO.

As much as you want to play the white knight, no distinction was made. A blanket was thrown over all of the homeless and his fellow veterans are one of the largest groups. That is wrong IMO.

What are you talking about? Are you asking me specifically how many vets are homeless in California? I don’t know, I don’t live there..

Whether you are a vet or not, if you are living in the streets, doing drugs, assaulting others, committing crimes, and REFUSING help, yes, you are a cancer to our society..

If you are homeless and truly want to get better and get help, yes, money and resources should be me available for you.. 100%..

What do you suggest we do to the ones who are not in that category?

Reactions: noletaire
So, which category do vets fall in? How many are in each group? Please give me the number of vets who are cancers.
The cancer referred to here is homelessness in general not the individuals. There are veterans that are cancers and bad people sad to say just like in any demographic.

The very first thing you do, and it’s absurd that this has to be said explicitly, is not refer to unhoused people as a cancer. You do not dehumanize and denigrate them.

Ok well we are knit picking here..

What do you suggest we do to help the homeless, who are flat out refusing to be help?

Do we just let them do drugs in the open air on the streets and just set up shop where they want? Do we continue to let them commit crimes?

The very first thing you do, and it’s absurd that this has to be said explicitly, is not refer to unhoused people as a cancer. You do not dehumanize and denigrate them.
Homeless people that do drugs and commit crimes should be called what? Good people?

What is your answer? We kill cancer, and you are describing these people as cancer.

Of course not. That’s silly.. but it’s a legitimate question.. how do you help the one who don’t want it?

I would start policing more. Arresting the violent offenders. Arresting the ones who are assaulting.

Have an option of jail time or rehab for certain crimes.

At some point, the streets have to be safe for the public..

This is silliness. Are you suggesting that homelessness is not a cancer (meaning something unwanted and in need of eradicating)? Eradicating homelessness is a good thing, isn't it? Some of you guys are arguing for the sake of it. By the way, I think vets are about 5% of total homeless in this country.

GO NOLES!!!
Classifying a group of people as a cancer now has a positive connotation? That is silliness.

• Love
I know, and I support their leaving. Conservatives will not be happy in California, and they should move to red states where they will be more comfortable.

No, the governor was not even close to being recalled. He won reelection by almost 20%.

It has fallen in the eyes of conservatives, not liberals, which is why the median home price in my neighborhood is still over $1.8 million.
Except most aren't leaving for political reasons, but economic. They can't afford housing or they retired, sold their homes for millions and take that money to a less expensive state to live out their lives in comfort. If you had a home worth $2.5M in California and I could sell it and move to Texas and buy a nicer home for $500,000 and live off the difference, wouldn't you?

Median household income California $78,600
MHI Texas $63,800
Median Home Value California $551K
Typically you would need around $145K of income to buy that house.
Median Home Value Texas $200K
Typically need around $45 to $50K to buy a $200K house.

In California the median income is only 54% of what is needed to buy the median priced home.
In Texas the median income is 128% of what is needed to buy the median price home.

You see why people are moving to Texas?

I go there for work quite a bit unfortunately. There are lots of homeless people in LA and San Diego. Even the hotel staff tell us to be careful walking around town due to crime mainly from the homeless people. I actually fly in and out from Dallas and do an overnight there to avoid 2 nites in Cali. Don't get me wrong there are homeless people everywhere but it seems more prevalent in LA, San Diego and even Seattle.
It is a huge problem and is mostly attributable to politics. Mistakes have been made for several generations and that has led to the current realities of people living in those cities.

Agreed, therefore do not refer to people as cancer.

Lol ok, let’s focus on that instead of the problem at hand..

You still haven’t answered the question.. what is your solution to the homeless problem for the ones who are refusing help?

Reactions: GeddyLee09
On a side note, I do enjoy the back and forth. And appreciate it is allowed on the boards now. I feel like in the past, this threat would have been locked 8 pages ago.

I will tell you what we actually did in those situations when I encountered them in my work: we talked to the people. We built relationships, rapport, and eventually trust. We made them aware of resources and invited them to use them. We provided food, healthcare, transportation, and shelter. We treated them with respect.

Sounds like you were dealing with the ones who were wanting help… that seems like a positive plan of action and a step in the right direction

What about the ones who refuse it and go on using drugs, committing crimes, etc?

Robbery and drugs in San Diego (drugs were at customs going into mexico). In 2013 we stayed at the Westin near LAX. Saw drug deals all along Century Blvd and heard gun shot all weekend long.. which I assume was criminal activity.

GO NOLES!!!
I just spent a couple weeks in San Diego last October. My wife stayed at a hotel fairly close to the airport for the first week and then moved over to our friends house in Carlsbad where I was staying. Our experience was exactly the opposite. We saw no drug deals. Didn't feel unsafe ever. Played tourist all over the area. Is it a big city with big city issues? Of course, but it was a very pleasant place to vacation and our friends who moved there 4 years ago love it. Only problem is they can't afford a house, so they rent a 3 bedroom, 2800 ft condo for $3500 month. They just moved into a 3 bedroom 1800 sq. foot condo (empty nesters) for about the same amount.

California, Alabama and Montana have almost the same crime rate per 100k people at 4700. Florida is around 3900.
Makes me happy to live in a state with a CR per 100K of 2300. Also because we live in a town of 1700 and an area of 100K it seems like we have no crime at all. Most people don't even lock their front doors where I live!

I absolutely would not sell a home in California and move to Texas, regardless of how cheap the houses are there.

I have stated clearly and repeatedly that the cost of housing is my only major complaint about California. Making housing more affordable is the number one thing that we can do to reduce homelessness.
I wasn't talking about you are any other individual...........but on the current trend of people leaving California and moving to states like Texas.

Reactions: BrainVision
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT