ADVERTISEMENT

WARCHANT Bourbon Thread

Which one did you like best or top 2-3? It is always hard for me to pick "the best".
Personally, the E.H. Taylor single barrel was by far the best. I'm a weller man, so i would put the Weller as 2 and then Blantons as my 3rd choice. It's strange too that i like both a wheated bourbon and rye's that much.

Reactions: SoddyNole
Where the hell are you guys finding Weller in Florida? I’m in Jacksonville and haven’t been able to find a drop. Same with McKenna.

I can usually get weller special reserve. Most of the rest of it is Lottery here in VA so i have to get people to help me locate it when they travel.

Hell yea. Where’d you find the GTS. I picked up two bottles of SR last week. Sipping it now.
Where i'm at it's done my lottery and i won a bottle. 2 people i work with one too so i'm buying them out. Also just found two bottles of weller antique 107 and i'm picking them up this weekend. I went from no weller to several bottles in 2 weeks. kinda crazy.

Lots in the world other than Pappy's although anything 20 and over from them is incredible. Remember the most important thing is that you enjoy it.

Neat when there's time and cube when it's a party and there's a need to go slower. Try it neat, with a cube and on the rocks with a splash (depending on which one - some I don't mix)

Solids in Bourbon: Any Four Roses but I prefer single barrel and small batch, Old Forrester - Prohibition or Bottled in Bond,

My fav rye: Whistle Pig

- Blanton's or Wellers? = Blantons
- Woodford or Makers? = Woodford
- Old Forrester or Jefferson's? = Old Forrester

- Ever acceptable to have a slice of lime with bourbon? - Not for me but to each his own

Why is bourbon better than other US whiskey? What about Yippee Ki Yay - no idea what that is....taste difference with 51% or more corn.

Is Rye whiskey better than Canadian Whiskey or Tennessee Whiskey? - Rye is a different blend....some great Ryes out there.

Crown Royal or Jack Daniels? - Crown is a better blend unless it's any of the Gentleman Hack line.....

What goes best with a cigar ….lots of bourbons, ryes, and Spanish Brandy

Lots in the world other than Pappy's although anything 20 and over from them is incredible. Remember the most important thing is that you enjoy it.

Neat when there's time and cube when it's a party and there's a need to go slower. Try it neat, with a cube and on the rocks with a splash (depending on which one - some I don't mix)

Solids in Bourbon: Any Four Roses but I prefer single barrel and small batch, Old Forrester - Prohibition or Bottled in Bond,

My fav rye: Whistle Pig

- Blanton's or Wellers? = Blantons
- Woodford or Makers? = Woodford
- Old Forrester or Jefferson's? = Old Forrester

- Ever acceptable to have a slice of lime with bourbon? - Not for me but to each his own

Why is bourbon better than other US whiskey? What about Yippee Ki Yay - no idea what that is....taste difference with 51% or more corn.

Is Rye whiskey better than Canadian Whiskey or Tennessee Whiskey? - Rye is a different blend....some great Ryes out there.

Crown Royal or Jack Daniels? - Crown is a better blend unless it's any of the Gentleman Hack line.....

What goes best with a cigar ….lots of bourbons, ryes, and Spanish Brandy
Just tried Old Monk rum. Love it - bourbon now secondary

Reactions: SeminoleinSpain
They still source their bourbon but it’s still good stuff. I was a weary too, but they really do have a unique profile.
I had some Jefferson's Ocean at a party in Charlotte over the holidays and loved it. Tried to find some at an ABC in Tallahassee recently and they said they only get a couple of bottles a year. I tried some Jefferson's Reserve instead and it's just okay.

Reactions: -OB1-
I had some Jefferson's Ocean at a party in Charlotte over the holidays and loved it. Tried to find some at an ABC in Tallahassee recently and they said they only get a couple of bottles a year. I tried some Jefferson's Reserve instead and it's just okay.

Yeah all that sloshing around in the barrel does something to the Ocean. I’m never gonna turn my nose up at Jefferson’s, but I’d probably buy more if more of them were offered at a higher proof. I’m a 100+ proof guy & enjoy more barrel proof bourbons. I know they more recently did an Ocean at Cask Strength. Maybe I’ll pick one up next time I come across it.

Reactions: chumleynole
I bought a bottle of Col EH Taylor and 1792 BIB last night. The Taylor was good. I will need more that the first pour to form more of an opinion about it. :) I am looking forward to trying the 1792 this week.

I really liked the Wellers SR but the local guy is not able to get it of late.

This is a great thread all and keep the suggestions coming.

They usually have the Jefferson's Ocean at Costco in Tallahassee.

I'm looking for a good house bourbon. Something reasonably priced just to sip on the weekends while keeping everything else for when friends are over. I've tried all the commercialized usuals (Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, etc.).Just looking for a brand along those lines that I may have overlooked. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm looking for a good house bourbon. Something reasonably priced just to sip on the weekends while keeping everything else for when friends are over. I've tried all the commercialized usuals (Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, etc.).Just looking for a brand along those lines that I may have overlooked. Any advice would be appreciated.

4 Roses Single Barrel is always my go to. You will hear that from a lot of people and it was years before I got around to trying it and wondered why I waited so long. I see a lot of mostly empty 4 roses bottles in peoples pictures too if that means anything. :)

Bang for your buck?

-Evan Williams Bottled In Bond
-Old Grand Dad 114
-Wild Turkey 101
-Early Times Bottled In Bond (If you can find it)

For a good pour at a good price I enjoy Clyde Mays. Clyde was a legendary Alabama bootlegger during prohibition. Did some hard time. His recipe became so popular the state legislature wanted to vote to make it the official state drink. The Governor intervened and shut the vote down.

For a good pour at a good price I enjoy Clyde Mays. Clyde was a legendary Alabama bootlegger during prohibition. Did some hard time. His recipe became so popular the state legislature wanted to vote to make it the official state drink. The Governor intervened and shut the vote down.

I like the Clyde Mays as well.

4 Roses Single Barrel is always my go to. You will hear that from a lot of people and it was years before I got around to trying it and wondered why I waited so long. I see a lot of mostly empty 4 roses bottles in peoples pictures too if that means anything. :)
I have 2 that are my go to when friends come over. I like the 4 roses small batch better than the single barrel. I also keep basil hayden, most people seem to like it as a casual sipper. If you ask for a bourbon and coke, you're getting benchmark 8.

I have 2 that are my go to when friends come over. I like the 4 roses small batch better than the single barrel. I also keep basil hayden, most people seem to like it as a casual sipper. If you ask for a bourbon and coke, you're getting benchmark 8.
I know it would not pass the bourbon brand snob test, but for expected taste and value the big jug of Makers Mark from Costco is an easy choice.

Reactions: fsubenfromva

I have not tried the small batch at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT