ADVERTISEMENT

WARCHANT Bourbon Thread

I can’t mail order here in my state legally. I just do a lot of browsing. The more you do, the more hard things to find you acquire. I walk out of a lot of stores with nothing.
I’ve done some purchasing on FB, but there’s less places to do it from now. FB cracked down in the secondary sites, so there’s smaller ones that pop up, then disappear, then pop back up somewhere else. It’s become a chore.
It's harder to collect these days just visiting stores with a lot of the good stuff going to lotteries now. ABC's around here will still have Eagle Rare, Bookers, McKenna 10, etc. behind the counters so as long as you're willing to drive you can stock up but loading up on Weller 12 is a thing of the past where I am.

It's harder to collect these days just visiting stores with a lot of the good stuff going to lotteries now. ABC's around here will still have Eagle Rare, Bookers, McKenna 10, etc. behind the counters so as long as you're willing to drive you can stock up but loading up on Weller 12 is a thing of the past where I am.

My area isn’t so bad when it comes to those you mentioned, for the exception of Weller 12. I touch four states with my job, so I get around a little more than most. Plus, I’ve developed relationships with some of these stores over time, so a few will take care of me when I come in.

Reactions: PopsNole
My area isn’t so bad when it comes to those you mentioned, for the exception of Weller 12. I touch four states with my job, so I get around a little more than most. Plus, I’ve developed relationships with some of these stores over time, so a few will take care of me when I come in.
I lost my contact at my main store when she was promoted. She would save all the hyped beers for me and would give me Weller 12 every couple of months because the bourbon people on the main list were assholes to her about it.

Reactions: -OB1-
FSU Chris - this is STAGGERING - how did you accumulate this stock? Unreal!! I was delighted to get ONE bottle of Weller 12!

nice!

Smash a window, quickly grab as much as you can carry and run like hell.

They don't sell willett in Va and i haven't been traveling. It's on my list for sure!

It’s hit & miss. I really like their rye & the older Family Estate stuff that they sourced years back. Their own bourbon distillate...not so much. Very heavy Big Red/red hots note on the finish.

It’s hit & miss. I really like their rye & the older Family Estate stuff that they sourced years back. Their own bourbon distillate...not so much. Very heavy Big Red/red hots note on the finish.
Good to know. Thanks for the pro tip.

Just purchased a bottle of Black Feather. Texas based bourbon. Anyone tried this?

No. It is sourced from MGP and I'm not very knowledgeable about if all the brands, 90+, who use MGP taste the same or they are able to alter each brand's taste in some way.

So based on suggestions in this thread, I purchased some Old Grand Dad (114 proof is the only one I found) as my wife likes old Fashions with Basil Haden. So I did a blind taste test for her, Exact same measurments for 1 old fashion with Basil Haden and 1 with the Old Grand Dad. They look and taste almost exactly the same. I would say the OGD has a stronger finish, likely due to the overproof. Other then that exact same. I enjoyed reading this thread and learning about various other brands that are the same as a popular one. I am dying to find a Weller 12 as I have had Pappy 20 year one time in Switzerland. They didnt know what it was and sold it for $17 euro an ouce. Needless to say I finished that bottle.

So based on suggestions in this thread, I purchased some Old Grand Dad (114 proof is the only one I found) as my wife likes old Fashions with Basil Haden. So I did a blind taste test for her, Exact same measurments for 1 old fashion with Basil Haden and 1 with the Old Grand Dad. They look and taste almost exactly the same. I would say the OGD has a stronger finish, likely due to the overproof. Other then that exact same. I enjoyed reading this thread and learning about various other brands that are the same as a popular one. I am dying to find a Weller 12 as I have had Pappy 20 year one time in Switzerland. They didnt know what it was and sold it for $17 euro an ouce. Needless to say I finished that bottle.

They’re exactly the same mashbill. I’d rather have OGD114 than Basil Hayden, but it’s up to the drinker on which they prefer. Of course I like a stiff Old Fashioned too. Usually like to use a rye for mine. The best thing is there are no wrongs when it comes to this stuff. Taste is subjective sir. ;)

I tried WT Rare Breed for the first time last night and it is delicious. Usually 49.99 at ABC but $6 off now plus I took another $7 off with a Birthday coupon. Damn good.

This may have been discussed in one of the 7 pages of this thread, and if so disregard. If not, I'd like to have everyone's top 5 list for cheap bourbon. I'm sorta partial to the wheated bourbons so my favorite cheap bourbon is Rebel Yell. I guess I should name a price point let's go with under $25 for a 750 ml. So what say you?

This may have been discussed in one of the 7 pages of this thread, and if so disregard. If not, I'd like to have everyone's top 5 list for cheap bourbon. I'm sorta partial to the wheated bourbons so my favorite cheap bourbon is Rebel Yell. I guess I should name a price point let's go with under $25 for a 750 ml. So what say you?
Weller is by far my favorite cheap wheat. I really like buffalo trace too, not technically a wheat, but low rye. I've also heard Larceny is a solid replacement for buffalo trace and it is a wheat. Sorry to go back and forth on you.

Going to add larceny to this list of wheats. Just picked a bottle up and it's smooth for 92 proof.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scalphunter
My go to Bourbons are either Elijah Craig, 1792 or Woodford. I buy Elijah Craig barrel strength when I can find it. My favorite Scotch is Bowmore 15 "The darkest" without going too crazy with the price. As far as rye whiskey goes I like Whistle Pig Piggyback. I drink my whiskey both neat or with one very large ice cube.

I'll restart - to we mortals without access to Pappy's ….
.. .take it

- neat or with a cube

- Blanton's or Wellers?
- Woodford or Makers?
- Old Forrester or Jefferson's?

- Ever acceptable to have a slice of lime with bourbon?

Why is bourbon better than other US whiskey? What about Yippee Ki Yay

Is Rye whiskey better than Canadian Whiskey or Tennessee Whiskey?

Crown Royal or Jack Daniels?

What goes best with a cigar ….

Please … anything but more waiting on Bob ….
What are opinions if the High West brands? What are some good Japanese brands?

FSU Chris - this is STAGGERING - how did you accumulate this stock? Unreal!! I was delighted to get ONE bottle of Weller 12!

nice!
Coming in very late. I got into very early on and made close relationship with my ABC FWS store manager. She was amazing. When the flippers came in my ability to get good stuff fell off dramatically but there are still gems out there like Old Gran Dad 114. Work hours do not let me hunt nearly as much as I used to but I have enough. Clearly.

Coming in very late. I got into very early on and made close relationship with my ABC FWS store manager. She was amazing. When the flippers came in my ability to get good stuff fell off dramatically but there are still gems out there like Old Gran Dad 114. Work hours do not let me hunt nearly as much as I used to but I have enough. Clearly.
Bought a botle of Elijah Craig cask strength tonight - 134 proof? - something like that - very sweet, smooth and - watch out

Now were talking. Used to drink Rebel Yell back in college. Would love to try this.

The 10 year single barrel isn’t even in the same ballpark as the regular RY. It’s a really great pour.

You guys have an opinion on Bulleit?

As long as you don’t do the regular stuff. They’re good as mixers IMO, & the 10 isn’t bad for the money. The barrel strength & the new Blender’s Select are really good. They’re doing store picks now as well & I’ve had some good bottles so far with those too.

The 10 year single barrel isn’t even in the same ballpark as the regular RY. It’s a really great pour.

As long as you don’t do the regular stuff. They’re good as mixers IMO, & the 10 isn’t bad for the money. The barrel strength & the new Blender’s Select are really good. They’re doing store picks now as well & I’ve had some good bottles so far with those too.
I don't even think I've seen the RY10 in stores where I'm at. Is it tough to find? What's the cost on it?

I considered myself a fairly serious whiskey drinker until I read the posts on this board. I have tried most of the whiskeys mentioned. Just to offer my two cents worth, many of the whiskey's mentioned on this board while good, I believe are over priced. I have never had George Stagg but I have had junior. Is senior similar to junior. Junior is good but to me there are less expensive whiskeys I like better. I have had Weller and personally was unimpressed but I may just not like wheat whiskeys. Also some whiskeys seem too smooth to me. Blantons is an example of that. Does not seem to have a lot of flavor to me. I do not care for Basil Haden. To me it just taste sweet. I drank Henry MacKenna when when it was about $30.00 a bottle and thought it was very good. Now you cannot find it and when you can it is 2.5 times that price. I will spend that for a bottle of whiskey but it is hard to spend it for one you use to pay so much less for. I have had Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon and I thought it was great. I like most all the Old Forrester whiskeys but again Statesman is too smooth for me. Cigars have been brought up on this post and I am curious if whiskey is a little like cigars. Some of the best cigars are in the 7 to 10 dollar range. Many of these cigars are better then cigars that cost twice as much. Now there are some truly great 20 and 30 dollar cigars but price is not necessarily a measure of quality. I would imagine personal taste has a lot to do with which whiskeys you like. In cigars I prefer a full flavored cigar. I brew beer and prefer fairly bitter IPAs. I am also picky about coffee and buy single origin coffee and drink it without cream and sugar. There does not seem to be a lot of subtlety in my tastes.

I considered myself a fairly serious whiskey drinker until I read the posts on this board. I have tried most of the whiskeys mentioned. Just to offer my two cents worth, many of the whiskey's mentioned on this board while good, I believe are over priced. I have never had George Stagg but I have had junior. Is senior similar to junior. Junior is good but to me there are less expensive whiskeys I like better. I have had Weller and personally was unimpressed but I may just not like wheat whiskeys. Also some whiskeys seem too smooth to me. Blantons is an example of that. Does not seem to have a lot of flavor to me. I do not care for Basil Haden. To me it just taste sweet. I drank Henry MacKenna when when it was about $30.00 a bottle and thought it was very good. Now you cannot find it and when you can it is 2.5 times that price. I will spend that for a bottle of whiskey but it is hard to spend it for one you use to pay so much less for. I have had Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon and I thought it was great. I like most all the Old Forrester whiskeys but again Statesman is too smooth for me. Cigars have been brought up on this post and I am curious if whiskey is a little like cigars. Some of the best cigars are in the 7 to 10 dollar range. Many of these cigars are better then cigars that cost twice as much. Now there are some truly great 20 and 30 dollar cigars but price is not necessarily a measure of quality. I would imagine personal taste has a lot to do with which whiskeys you like. In cigars I prefer a full flavored cigar. I brew beer and prefer fairly bitter IPAs. I am also picky about coffee and buy single origin coffee and drink it without cream and sugar. There does not seem to be a lot of subtlety in my tastes.
Good post - seems to be all about personal preference - I like mild smooth Dominican cigars (Fuente) in the $7 - 10 range. I like the smooth and sweet bourbons that you don’t prefer - and I like strong Colombian coffee with cream - great with a cigar - or light beer (very cold with lime) as a chaser or compliment - it’s all good.

Your cigar preference? My no 1 is Macanudo Prince but also like Fuente.

I don’t know that I really have a preference. I’m a mood smoker so I’m all over the map. Sometimes I want something medium with no spice. Sometimes I want something rich, dark, & full. Sometimes I wanna smoke something spicy. I have way more cigars than whiskey lol. Cigars were my first love, & they brought me to bourbon. I’ve been to four different cigar factory tours in three different countries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT