ADVERTISEMENT

WARCHANT Bourbon Thread

OB1 is going to look outside his window one morning and see this.

crowd.jpg

I have two bottles of the Mckenna, so far have opened one of them and i'm not a fan.
what didn't you like? I am always interested in other peoples opinions especially someone with some expertise in the subject matter. I like Mckenna but am not a big fan of Blantons. I tend to like the higher proof bourbons that have a lot of flavor. Blantons for me, is just kind of bland. I bought a bottle of I. W small batch which I thought very similar to Blantons.

Couple of things:

- It's fun to discuss top end bourbons, but if you're like me and have a family member who just won't stop mixing my good bourbon with Coke (don't ask), then you need to know about bottom shelf bourbons too. My favorites are Benchmark (which is made by Sazerac with the same mash as BT) and Zachariah Harris. Hope this helps if you're in the same boat.
- I was in Tokyo and came across a bar that had a Jim Beam and soda tap. It looked just like a beer tap but dispensed Jim and soda and they served it with lime. It was a hot summer day and I have to say that I liked it. I think I realized that a light summery drink with a bourbon flavor was better than a light summery drink without bourbon flavor. Don't judge unless you've tried it.

Last edited:
I’ve been on a Negroni kick lately, but add bourbon/rye to it instead of gin & you have got a great summer drink, the Boulevardier. :cool:

1.5 oz. Bourbon/rye
1 oz. Campari
1 oz. Sweet Vermouth
Add an orange twist or slice

Goes together like PB&J. I’ve been doing these a lot. ;)

Did a Blantons..Blanton's Gold ..and Blantons SFTB tasting last night...it's really a shame that BT does not sell Gold and SFTB in the USA as they are fantastic Bourbons...I would make Gold my go to Bourbon if it was readily available...SFTB at 129.2 Proof is a Special Occasion Sipper that is all you want from a Single Barrel

Did a Blantons..Blanton's Gold ..and Blantons SFTB tasting last night...it's really a shame that BT does not sell Gold and SFTB in the USA as they are fantastic Bourbons...I would make Gold my go to Bourbon if it was readily available...SFTB at 129.2 Proof is a Special Occasion Sipper that is all you want from a Single Barrel

Amen & Amen

12 year old Four Roses pick. Really interesting because it’s such a low proof for a barrel strength at 104. Must have been kept on the bottom of the rick.

Blantons gold is going to be released in the US this year for the first time. VA already has it listed on their website and are expecting it to drop in August. https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/bourbon/blanton-gold-label?productSize=0

Reactions: NorvellsavedFSU
what didn't you like? I am always interested in other peoples opinions especially someone with some expertise in the subject matter. I like Mckenna but am not a big fan of Blantons. I tend to like the higher proof bourbons that have a lot of flavor. Blantons for me, is just kind of bland. I bought a bottle of I. W small batch which I thought very similar to Blantons.
I immediately smelled straight alcohol when i put it to my nose and it took all the taste away from it except at the very end i was hit with heavy oak. Nothing else hit me on the flavor profile. Felt like all gas and no brakes for me.

Reactions: chumleynole
I need a break from virus' and politics and a general lack of sports. So, let's talk Bourbon :).

I am a serious collector, with over 105 bottles currently in my collection. Recently added a couple of great pours, pictured here.

Who wants to join me in this discussion?

IMG-1969.jpg

I need a break from virus' and politics and a general lack of sports. So, let's talk Bourbon :).

I am a serious collector, with over 105 bottles currently in my collection. Recently added a couple of great pours, pictured here.

IMG-1969.jpg
There is a bourbon thread in the locker room FYI. However, I do enjoy both of those bottles. I picked up an Old Forrester 1920 on Saturday that I was surprised at how good it was.

There is a bourbon thread in the locker room FYI. However, I do enjoy both of those bottles. I picked up an Old Forrester 1920 on Saturday that I was surprised at how good it was.
I have been around a long time but am not aware of "the locker room".
The 1920 Prohibition Old Forrester is a great pour. But, be aware, it is around 120 proof...

Are you guys collecting empty bottles or bottles, full or otherwise?

I have been around a long time but am not aware of "the locker room".
The 1920 Prohibition Old Forrester is a great pour. But, be aware, it is around 120 proof...
Ohh I know. I've been drinking a lot of EC Barrel Proof so the 1920 OF is a step down currently haha.

Reactions: doofy10 and -OB1-
I enjoyed a Weller 12 year in June. Fantastic.

More recently found Four Roses Small Batch Select (a blend of six bourbons).
I have the Weller Full Proof and the 15 yr. A bit disappointed in the taste given what I paid for them.
Four Roses Small Batch is a great, well priced, drink and a must in any collection.

It isn't bourbon, but it is one of my most expensive scotches, and I popped the too Thursday due to a very bad day.

Dalmar King Alexander III

It was very very good.

I have the Weller Full Proof and the 15 yr. A bit disappointed in the taste given what I paid for them.
Four Roses Small Batch is a great, well priced, drink and a must in any collection.

I love Weller Bourbons, and wheated Bourbons in general. But you are right, some are overpriced. The 107 is super good for a very good price.

IMG-1969.jpg

I have the Taylor. Its one of the best I've tried in a very long time. Great flavor and finish.

Here is a bottle of Four Roses Super Premium that I recently acquired. You wont see this bottle very often...
IMG-1890.jpg
Would love to try it. Have a couple bottles of the select. Wouldn’t purchase again for the price.

Angel’s Envy is GOAT!!!!

Did they quit making Blanton’s? I haven’t seen it anywhere in years.
No, just very hard to get. I picked up 4 bottles last week...
The pic that I posted with the Four Roses shows a bottle of Blanton's on the left.

Reactions: tribal_idiot
No, just very hard to get. I picked up 4 bottles last week...
The pic that I posted with the Four Roses shows a bottle of Blanton's on the left.
Yea I saw that...that’s what made me think of it ghosting me for a couple years lol.

Go look at his most recent photos in the thread...your 105 bottles would only be one of his racks of bourbon

Coming from someone who knows absolutely nothing about nothing about bourbon..

I saw the pictures of his collection.. has he said, or has anyone ball parked how much money he has invested in that?

seems to be a lot! Lol

Reactions: -OB1-
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT