ADVERTISEMENT

WARCHANT Bourbon Thread

Your cigar preference? My no 1 is Macanudo Prince but also like Fuente.
My first preference would be something in with a cuban profile. If you cannot get cubans then Davidoff or Graycliff come pretty close with some of their cigars. Camacho had a cigar that is made with pre embargo cuban tobacco. Other than that I go for cigars like Don Pepin My Father. I like most of the Don Pepin cigars but they are pretty strong cigars.

Anyone ever do a whiskey blind taste test? I’m curious about anyone’s ability to discern between Jim Beam and other common vs top shelf brands.

Anyone ever do a whiskey blind taste test? I’m curious about anyone’s ability to discern between Jim Beam and other common vs top shelf brands.

I’m pretty good at pulling Beam out of a lineup. The heavy peanut profile is pretty distinct. Barton usually has a banana thing going on in it, & Dickel’s unmistakable vitamin note is probably the easiest to pick out of a blind tasting. They’re a fun thing to do & really will help grow your whiskey palate.

I’m pretty good at pulling Beam out of a lineup. The heavy peanut profile is pretty distinct. Barton usually has a banana thing going on in it, & Dickel’s unmistakable vitamin note is probably the easiest to pick out of a blind tasting. They’re a fun thing to do & really will help grow your whiskey palate.
Do you choose by taste alone or by color and aroma as well?
What’s your no 1 afternoon go to sip?

Do you choose by taste alone or by color and aroma as well?
What’s your no 1 afternoon go to sip?

Def nose & taste for me.

Right now? I’ve been hitting a rotation of 1792 Full Proof, Old Ezra 7, Belle Meade Cask Strength, & a Smoke Wagon Desert Jewel pretty hard. It’s rare that I have the same thing back to back nights, let alone two of the same pours back to back. I switch it up quite a bit.

Def nose & taste for me.

Right now? I’ve been hitting a rotation of 1792 Full Proof, Old Ezra 7, Belle Meade Cask Strength, & a Smoke Wagon Desert Jewel pretty hard. It’s rare that I have the same thing back to back nights, let alone two of the same pours back to back. I switch it up quite a bit.
Smoke Wagon! Another new brand to me - what is your opinion of Yippee Kay Ye?

Smoke Wagon! Another new brand to me - what is your opinion of Yippee Kay Ye?

Smoke Wagon is out of Vegas. This guy had apparently aged & also acquired some older barrels at MGP in Lawrenceburg, IN. That was the old Seagram’s distillery. He does some blends of the MGP juice & also mixes some of his younger bourbon in with some MGP as well. The Desert Jewel is a 10 MGP high rye that fetches a pretty good bit off the secondary market.

As far as YKY goes, I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it either. It’s a obviously a little different, but a lot of guys like it. It’s a YMMV whiskey IMO. ;)

Smoke Wagon is out of Vegas. This guy had apparently aged & also acquired some older barrels at MGP in Lawrenceburg, IN. That was the old Seagram’s distillery. He does some blends of the MGP juice & also mixes some of his younger bourbon in with some MGP as well. The Desert Jewel is a 10 MGP high rye that fetches a pretty good bit off the secondary market.

As far as YKY goes, I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it either. It’s a obviously a little different, but a lot of guys like it. It’s a YMMV whiskey IMO. ;)
YMMV??

Breckenridge PX cask and Rabbit Hole Dareringer are my two fave bourbons at current posting, though Blanton’s (when I can get my hands on it) always rises up.

Reactions: -OB1-
The store was limited with their stock and under the suggestion of the owner I picked this up. I enjoyed this a lot and will buy again.

5b1fbf2be741093d75855095_Old-Forester-1920-Prohibition-Style-01a.jpg

Anybody ever join these bourbon clubs that I keep seeing advertised?

Hey OB, what's your take on the Willett 4 year rye and the Willett pot still reserve?

Willett has kind of road the coat tails of their Family Estate line which were all sourced barrels they acquired before they actually started distilling their own juice about 7 years ago. Personally, my opinion is their bourbon needs time. Their Pot Still is a pretty polarizing bourbon. I don’t care for it. It has a heavy Big Red or cinnamon red hot note that I can’t get with. Even their wheated bourbons, which are usually sweeter/easier drinkers because of the lack of rye in the mash bill are spicy, which is odd to me. My hope is that the older their bourbon gets, that taste will be toned down.

Their Ryes on the other hand are really good. I’ve got several that are very sweet & floral. They’re actually less spicy than the bourbon is. If you can find the 4 year at a decent price I’d tell you to definitely pick one up if you’re a rye fan.

Reactions: fsubenfromva
OB - how are you possibly going to drink this incredible inventory before passing to the great beyond? Maybe share a taste with your extended NOLE fam if we ever get to another national championship!

Hahaha deal!

If we win one I’ll personally crack open something special & send everyone a pour. ;)

Reactions: bucknole72
Henry McKenna is definitely on my list to try. I have some George Dickel Bottled-in-Bond whiskey that is very good. Distilled in Fall 2005.

McKenna is good stuff. My only complaint...albeit a small one, is that because it is a single barrel, every once in a while you get a mediocre bottle. They’re pretty good about consistency for the most part though. Nothing that would keep me from purchasing it obviously.

I enjoyed that Dickel BIB. Have a couple unopened ones sitting here just waiting for me to crack them. ;)

Because of this thread, I saw and bought a Jefferson Ocean- wheat mash Voyage 19. Very nice, reminded me of a stronger Basil Hayden. Found it at a Total Wine, not cheap $90! But after tasting...worth it.

McKenna is good stuff. My only complaint...albeit a small one, is that because it is a single barrel, every once in a while you get a mediocre bottle. They’re pretty good about consistency for the most part though. Nothing that would keep me from purchasing it obviously.

I enjoyed that Dickel BIB. Have a couple unopened ones sitting here just waiting for me to crack them. ;)
I have two bottles of the Mckenna, so far have opened one of them and i'm not a fan.

Reactions: -OB1-
I'll restart - to we mortals without access to Pappy's ….
.. .take it

- neat or with a cube

- Blanton's or Wellers?
- Woodford or Makers?
- Old Forrester or Jefferson's?

- Ever acceptable to have a slice of lime with bourbon?

Why is bourbon better than other US whiskey? What about Yippee Ki Yay

Is Rye whiskey better than Canadian Whiskey or Tennessee Whiskey?

Crown Royal or Jack Daniels?

What goes best with a cigar ….

Please … anything but more waiting on Bob ….
Blanton’s

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT