ADVERTISEMENT

WARCHANT Bourbon Thread

I would say one brand I have been surprised by is Evan Williams. For the price it’s hard to beat in my eyes. My top though is definitely EH Taylor, both small batch and single barrel. I have a bottle of their Rye, but haven’t cracked it opened yet. Stagg Jr. will put some hair on your chest, but if you like. Higher proof stuff, it is good. Not sure if anyone on here has had some Widow Jane. Very good stuff.

COL Taylor Small Batch (if you can find a bottle) and Cream of Kentucky 11.5

EHT Barrel Proof is some amazing stuff. Best EHT product by far.

Reactions: -OB1-
I would say one brand I have been surprised by is Evan Williams. For the price it’s hard to beat in my eyes. My top though is definitely EH Taylor, both small batch and single barrel. I have a bottle of their Rye, but haven’t cracked it opened yet. Stagg Jr. will put some hair on your chest, but if you like. Higher proof stuff, it is good. Not sure if anyone on here has had some Widow Jane. Very good stuff.

Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (white label) is one of the best values out there bar none. A $15 bottle that drinks better than many over double it’s price.

EHT Barrel Proof is some amazing stuff. Best EHT product by far.

...and it’s not even close. Too bad it’s extremely hard to find.

Buffalo Trace said Weller is the same mash bill as Pappy Van Winkle which is why the popularity went up. It is viewed as “Pappy lite”

Really one of the saddest parts of the "bourbon boom" for me is the disappearance of Weller 12...was a 30 dollar shelf bourbon forever and pretty much every serious bourbon drinker knew that was the steal/bargain of the bourbon world...so many bartenders would always say that was their go to as well...then due to the popularity of Pappy and scarcity of it, all the new entrants to the world of bourbon started buying all The Weller 12 as it's basically the same thing as Pappy Lot B 12 year old....same mashbill...same warehouse...same racks...Van Winkle Family just selects certain Barrels in The Warehouse to bottle under The Pappy Label and that makes them worth 500-600 more valuable then Weller 12 on the aftermarket...Weller 12 and Weller OWA are great...Weller Full Proof is not worth the aftermarket going rate though...William Larue Weller from the once a year release of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection is actually my main want currently..I'm just not dropping the aftermarket rate of 1100 on one though

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
IMG-1900.jpg
You’ve got a lot work to do, breaking seals lol! I got lucky and bought a bottle of Pappy a couple of years by chance in a liquor store. The clerk asked me “what are you going to do with it” and I said well hell I'm going to drink it! He laughed. I love Blanton’s you Had in your picture. Probably my favorite and I never let my cabinet get below three bottles for fear I can’t find it.

My favorite bargain bourbon is Old Grandad 114. So good for $30.

I need a break from virus' and politics and a general lack of sports. So, let's talk Bourbon :).

I am a serious collector, with over 105 bottles currently in my collection. Recently added a couple of great pours, pictured here.

Who wants to join me in this discussion?

IMG-1969.jpg
@loutil
What does one seek in a very good bourbon?

I need a break from virus' and politics and a general lack of sports. So, let's talk Bourbon :).

I am a serious collector, with over 105 bottles currently in my collection. Recently added a couple of great pours, pictured here.

Who wants to join me in this discussion?

IMG-1969.jpg
Late to the thread. MWND is not bourbon.

I’ve been in a big sell off as of late on the Mega Fire Ballz site. Sold about $10k worth in the last month. Crazy how folks throw down 250-300 a spot on these multi fireball drawings.

Been good for me.

No, just very hard to get. I picked up 4 bottles last week...
The pic that I posted with the Four Roses shows a bottle of Blanton's on the left.
Where do you find four bottles? I’m not a collector , probably have 10 different bourbons on hand but I can’t find Blantons and it’s my favorite.

There is a bourbon thread in the locker room FYI. However, I do enjoy both of those bottles. I picked up an Old Forrester 1920 on Saturday that I was surprised at how good it was.
The 1910 is better. Love that stuff.

Maybe I’m just not as sophisticated as I thought I was but what’s the deal with bourbon and scotch?? Am I missing something??

Maybe I’m just not as sophisticated as I thought I was but what’s the deal with bourbon and scotch?? Am I missing something??

In the easiest & shortest way possible....

Scotch’s main ingredient is malt. It’s made in Scotland.

Bourbon’s is corn. It’s made in the U.S.

All bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon. ;)

If you’re asking what’s the big deal? It’s delicious, that’s why.

@loutil
What does one seek in a very good bourbon?
Different people seek different things in their Bourbon. I prefer flavor and smoothness. With higher proofs, I cut with a splash of cherry to smooth it out as it rolls down your throat.

Late to the thread. MWND is not bourbon.
Yes, you are correct. But, it is a rye whiskey that pours like a Bourbon. In truth, not much difference between a rye whiskey and Bourbon.

Where do you find four bottles? I’m not a collector , probably have 10 different bourbons on hand but I can’t find Blantons and it’s my favorite.
I have multiple sources for Bourbon including a couple of local distributors. However, for rare bottles or Blanton's, I found a liquor site out of California that illegally ships to Florida in non labled packages.

Reactions: Nole_Dynasty
Thanks. We should compare lists as I am always looking to add good Bourbons. Have a cabinet guy making me a custom shelf as I am out of room. My goal is 200 different Bourbon's.

Now, that is some serious drinking!!

Watch the history of Bourbon called Neat, learned a lot about its history. Recommend.

Agree on Widow Jane...

Reactions: allynole
I’ve been in a big sell off as of late on the Mega Fire Ballz site. Sold about $10k worth in the last month. Crazy how folks throw down 250-300 a spot on these multi fireball drawings.

Been good for me.

It’s a blessing and a curse. Because I have bottles that I’ll never even think of opening because of the value. So I’ll never get to drink them. And I had bottles I never wanted to get rid of but the value has skyrocketed so much you would be an idiot not to let go of.

In the end I like hunting and fishing trips much more than whiskey. But...I’ve kept my absolute favorite bottles in my do not sell bunker ( which has close to 60 bottles alone in it ) some pushing well over 1k a piece.

Yes, you are correct. But, it is a rye whiskey that pours like a Bourbon. In truth, not much difference between a rye whiskey and Bourbon.

I suppose you might taste that because they finish Midwinter’s in Port casks. If we’re talking about a “Kentucky style” rye like Knob Creek Rye or Wild Turkey Rye where they are 51% rye mashbill where they’re just “legal” enough to be called Rye’s..sure... They’re high corn mashbill’s so they have more bourbon’esque profiles. Straight rye’s taste distinctly different to me. There’s a heavy dill note on a lot of them or even more on the floral side. Those things I do not taste in bourbon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT