ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer

I've seen Heather Dyche's name several times for the new coach. In any event, it would be interesting to know if any of the veterans have been involved in, let alone informed about, the coaching search.
Perhaps they are positioning to follow our former coach who concluded the athletic director is untrustworthy.

I feel like I was just sucker punched. They don’t even know who the new coach will be. Although as we learned in football recently, I suppose if they like the choice of head coach, they can always come back.

But why do I feel like the slide back to “less than championship” just began here.
**Disclaimer** I have no inside connection whatsoever.
I have followed the program and am fairly good at extrapolating.
Of the 7 girls who have hit the portal, 6 apparently have put "do not contact" on that entry.
IMO, there is not another name out there that would salvage all 7 of those girls.
I believe they are lobbying for and hoping for Mike Bristol to be named the head coach, in which case most, if not all of those girls will come back.
JMHO

Duke Basketball and UNC basketball understood that you promote from within when you have an elite level program!
Why doesn't Alford get that?
I believe he does get that, but doesn't care as long as his PR (Tallahassee Democrat) makes him look like he's doing everything possible. He just wants to be absolved of blame. The soccer program can go into the toilet for all he cares IMO.

Tom, I'm Internet challenged so I haven't found the sites you and others have referred to. On what site are the women saying "Do Not Contact," and to whom do you think that's addressed?

Last edited:
I will definitely miss Coach K. But I am certainly hopeful that with these players, a new pitch and a new scoreboard, FSU is an attractive opportunity for almost anyone.
Something is not the same.
Not being snarky, but I never understand what scoreboards have to do with player/coach recruitment. It adds to the fan experience.
Disclaimer… I long for the anywhere/anytime athlete who will play in a mud hole in bad weather if they get to go against great competition. That is my mental picture of Jaelin Howell.

Of the 7 girls who have hit the portal, 6 apparently have put "do not contact" on that entry.
IMO, there is not another name out there that would salvage all 7 of those girls.
I believe they are lobbying for and hoping for Mike Bristol to be named the head coach, in which case most, if not all of those girls will come back.
JMHO

Duke Basketball and UNC basketball understood that you promote from within when you have an elite level program!
I believe he does get that, but doesn't care as long as his PR (Tallahassee Democrat) makes him look like he's doing everything possible. He just wants to be absolved of blame. The soccer program can go into the toilet for all he cares IMO.
I always value your input BUT- neither you nor I have a clue what Alford gets and doesn't get. We will be able to judge by actions not words (not even the words which have been said that our program will remain committed monetarily and otherwise to the program)- The other coach is gone and I valued him while he was here but he is GONE- I am looking forward not in the rear view mirror.

I always value your input BUT- neither you nor I have a clue what Alford gets and doesn't get. We will be able to judge by actions not words (not even the words which have been said that our program will remain committed monetarily and otherwise to the program)- The other coach is gone and I valued him while he was here but he is GONE- I am looking forward not in the rear view mirror.
Does it not make sense to hire from within from super successful programs? On less successful or even mediocre programs, that is when you go on a national search! That is my opinion! It’s also my opinion that these girls might come back if Mike Bristol is hired!

Reactions: cnole1
Tom, I'm Internet challenged so I haven't found the sites you and others have referred to. On what site are the women saying "Do Not Contact," and to whom do you think that's addressed?
I am a member of a forum called bigsoccer.com
It has multiple forms including a women’s college soccer board. That is where I get my information often times :)

Does it not make sense to hire from within from super successful programs? On less successful or even mediocre programs, that is when you go on a national search! That is my opinion! It’s also my opinion that these girls might come back if Mike Bristol is hired!
Makes sense - but I am not in the interview team. We will see.

JMHO

From what I’ve heard FSU is open to hiring from within or from Krikorian’s tree. I know someone who is friends with a branch of that tree and they got a “lol” when asked if they be coming back to Tally.

It’s entirely possible (and IMO likely) that Bristol wants nothing to do with this job.

Reactions: billanole
From what I’ve heard FSU is open to hiring from within or from Krikorian’s tree. I know someone who is friends with a branch of that tree and they got a “lol” when asked if they be coming back to Tally.

It’s entirely possible (and IMO likely) that Bristol wants nothing to do with this job.
I believe that could be true.
That said, if he took over, he'd be taking over a top program and I'm guessing most of the players would come back and play for him.
Winning a natty in his first season would be a reasonable possibility.
Where else would he have that opportunity?
The money would be right too compared to most opportunities.
That said, his loyalty to Mark may trump all of that. I have no idea!

Reactions: FLSnole
I confirmed Tom's information about those in the portal. Apparently the only one off the board now is the freshman superstar from Canada was only coming here to play for Coach K. The players who entered the portal had to place their names in the portal by the deadline date to protect their interests (depending upon who the new coach is). Except for the Canadian, all have the DNC (again waiting for the coach to be named). I was told this team believes they can win a championship - and very much want to do it at FSU. It just depends upon who the new coach is.

Really hard to understand what the specific issue was that caused such mistrust and falling out. And then for it to be significant enough to possibly scare away coaches from such a rare opportunity. Would like to know details of what happened.
I totally understand why the players would support their coach after the respect MK commanded with them. What I also don’t understand is if MK knew there were problems in December and he was seriously thinking of leaving, how he could have left his players hanging. There were 3-4 players that were ranked as high draft picks that came back. Seems crappy that he wouldn’t have either informed them of his intentions before the draft or stayed at FSU once they returned. Obviously I don’t know what transpired so a lot of assumptions on my part.

Reactions: cnole1 and Sawyer55
Too bad about the freshman Canadian Superstar. She is the future of Canadian soccer IMO!
She may be Deyna Castellanos level good!

Reactions: FLSnole
His resume' screams 'good head coach'.
We want and needed a great head coach. May he prove me wrong!

Hate that it all happened like it did. Don't think either side handled it great honestly.

That said, the new coach won the ACC & SEC Coach of the year. Can't be a bad hire.

But the reality is, when you lose a dynasty coach....a fall will happen, 99% of the time. Not anyone's fault. Mark was done, the end.

I agree with those that stated you hire from within when a program is rolling, but the way Mark left....burning bridges, kind of killed that also.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLSnole and fsufool
Don't know!
I know he won the SEC regular season title in 21, but only advanced to the sweet 16.
Not overachieving in the post season. Lost 3-0 to Michigan in the 16.
Again, I hope he proves me wrong.

Really hard to understand what the specific issue was that caused such mistrust and falling out. And then for it to be significant enough to possibly scare away coaches from such a rare opportunity. Would like to know details of what happened.
Doubt any coaches were scared away. That was just FSU so called fans making stuff up. The only problem is coming in after "the guy" is a scary situation for those not confident in their own abilities.

Don't know!
I know he won the SEC regular season title in 21, but only advanced to the sweet 16.
Not overachieving in the post season. Lost 3-0 to Michigan in the 16.
Again, I hope he proves me wrong.
Honestly, that means nothing. How much talent did he have on his teams. Did they overproduce their talent or underproduce? He just signed the #6 class, which means he is recruiting above his weight class at Tennessee, which has zero history as a top soccer program. Comparing him to K is simply unfair. AS is comparing him to 60+ year old coaches they have built programs after decades of work at a single school.

The new coach now is on the phone with all the girls. I have to wonder why a graduate student would want to uproot their life for the last year of college soccer with no guarantee it will be better and leaving most of their teammates behind? This coach is certainly a good coach. Recruits, ????, some of them might flip because of pre-established relationships. Think we might lose a couple players, but doubt we lose much more than that.

The new coach now is on the phone with all the girls. I have to wonder why a graduate student would want to uproot their life for the last year of college soccer with no guarantee it will be better and leaving most of their teammates behind? This coach is certainly a good coach. Recruits, ????, some of them might flip because of pre-established relationships. Think we might lose a couple players, but doubt we lose much more than that.
If he can keep the returnees and also is able to win them over during the season I think he will be in a good position to keep it rolling. Glad that the hire has been made and hoping for the best!

He did have Bunny Shaw from Jamaica a few years ago. She was a stud with their NT.
I looked over a few rosters and his internationals look to be few and far between.

There are currently seven (7) active players in the portal.
I gotta figure how they react to the hire will be telling.
No news, that I am aware of, regarding retention or replacement of of a very strong group of assistants and staff.

Anybody hear about assistants?

He did have Bunny Shaw from Jamaica a few years ago. She was a stud with their NT.
I looked over a few rosters and his internationals look to be few and far between.
Coach K was the most prolific recruiter of internationals in the sport. Not going to replace that type of recruiting overnight. But, FSU has built up a good reputation and if our current internationals end up happy with him, then he can leverage that.

If he can keep the returnees and also is able to win them over during the season I think he will be in a good position to keep it rolling. Glad that the hire has been made and hoping for the best!
Here's a clue - there is not one international on the Tennessee roster.

I wonder what style of soccer Coach Pensky prefers?

Apparently he plays a more direct style.
It'll be interesting to see what he does at FSU.

Reactions: squiffynole
I would bet he reviews a lot of video as to how FSU played. Also depends on which if any assistants he retains.

He knows FSU has a high caliber program, not like he has to start over

Reactions: squiffynole
Guys (m&f), what is the best place to keep current on what is happening with our soccer team? Of course I read on here, but it seems there should be so much more news about the Ladies. Last I was able to read was when the new coach was hired, but nothing since. Has the team stayed together, is the new coach in town, has he met with the Ladies, etc? I am hungry for news, just don't know if there is any, or where to go to get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Seminoles.com has decent coverage during season but not much during off season. As you noticed a few post tidbits as they get/find them. We need to encourage more Soccer fans to post here as it is a free message board. This is why we have a pinned thread for some of the non revenue sports.

Guys (m&f), what is the best place to keep current on what is happening with our soccer team? Of course I read on here, but it seems there should be so much more news about the Ladies. Last I was able to read was when the new coach was hired, but nothing since. Has the team stayed together, is the new coach in town, has he met with the Ladies, etc? I am hungry for news, just don't know if there is any, or where to go to get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
There is a thread that is always going on here. FSU sports website has some information. There are podcasts that specialize in college soccer like "college soccer nation."

Seminoles.com has decent coverage during season but not much during off season. As you noticed a few post tidbits as they get/find them. We need to encourage more Soccer fans to post here as it is a free message board. This is why we have a pinned thread for some of the non revenue sports.
Thank you!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT